• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J. Cole | Born Sinner | OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
album is good, much better then Cole World
Nope.

J. Cole had nothing to talk about here. I lost count of how many times I heard some version of "fuck bad bitches, but got a good girl at home." Oooh, that's so complex, Cole.

Production seems stronger, but Cole world had some bangers... This one? Eh.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
My Deluxe got delivered. When I get I work I'll rip it into iTunes and get to listening.

Just bought Yeezus, Born Sinner, and Movies; listening in that order right now.

Wasn't feeling Yeezus too much outside of Black Skinhead and Blood on the Leaves. Going from that album straight into Villuminati was jarring, but got me hyped.

If the rest of the album goes like that song, it'll be great. Can already tell the production will be great.

Epcott

Just bought Yeezus, Born Sinner, and Movies; listening in that order right now.

Wasn't feeling Yeezus too much outside of Black Skinhead and Blood on the Leaves. Going from that album straight into Villuminati was jarring, but got me hyped.

If the rest of the album goes like that song, it'll be great. Can already tell the production will be great.

Same order I listened to all three for the first time today. Yeezus was the bottom of the three, J-Cole surprised me with the Tribe and Outkast influenced tracks, but Mac Miller sits on top. Born sinner is pretty good though.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Bought the album today digitally.

Easily way better than his first album ... really great stuff. Villuminati is an incredible track.

Shearie

While there are some fantastic songs on this album, as a whole I'm not really into it. "Yeezus" and "Watching Movies..." are much better.

Let Nas Down remix ft. Nas

vince_omg.gif

Nas went in

Those are my feelings as well.

Cole needs a team, somebody to slap his shit when he 'retells' a previous lyric.. and make him unique beats.

Cole needs an OVO.

Like I said in the Hip-Hop thread. There is a classic here but he needed to trim the fat. Too many songs. He needs a producer that is going to tell him "NO."

After a few listens, and a subsequent purchase, this is a good album. But TheKaeptain above said it's best. Really needs someone to cut down on the corniness.. and I really need to find out why this cat's best tracks keep ending up on EPs and mixtapes. Need better legal rep to get those samples cleared?

No Kenny Lofton is a tragedy.

Shagwell

Really needs someone to cut down on the corniness.. and I really need to find out why this cat's best tracks keep ending up on EPs and mixtapes. Need better legal rep to get those samples cleared?

No Kenny Lofton is a tragedy.

Truth. I have a lot of friends that hate on J. Cole based off his albums but his EP's and the 'ol mixtape is where his best stuff is at.

Kenny Lofton, Chris Tucker, Can I Holla at Ya, The Cure, etc. are some of my favourites and most people haven't even heard of them. Bummer.

And what was up with Rise Above not making the cut? That song goes, it has something worth saying and it shows how great he is at telling a story.

Servbot24

Banned
This is honestly one of the only hip hop tracks in a loooong time to get my interest. Great production..great lyrics. This is why people listen to this genera of music.

I listen to the genre for many more reasons than are encompassed by this track. Great song though.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Shit this album is great. It took like 7 listens to get there though.

It's a slow burn but once it hit you it hits you.

i tried listening through it on spotify but i couldnt. god what a boring ass album. i really cant stand coles voice, beats, his entire sound is a perfect substitute for ambien.

i enjoyed his first album but this one was just whack. and too damn long too. and whats up with dropping "faggot" like 50 times on the first track? wha?

regardless, dude needs to hook up with as many diverse producers as he can. his sound sucks. cant believe im enjoying mac millers new shit more than cole.

I'm normally not the type to care about sales numbers but,

1 KANYE WEST ROC-A-FELLA/DEF JAM/IDJ 328,800 --
YEEZUS
-- 2 J. COLE ROC NATION/COLUMBIA 297,922 --
BORN SINNER
-- 3 MAC MILLER ROSTRUM 101,795 --
WATCHING MOVIES WITH THE SOUND

Cole did 300K first week?

Salute that boy

Mac eatin good too

I'm so tired of Cole bragging about going to college, having a good girl at home, etc. Album is alright but completely forgettable. He needs to stop producing his entire albums until he learns how to do drums.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm so tired of Cole bragging about going to college, having a good girl at home, etc. Album is alright but completely forgettable. He needs to stop producing his entire albums until he learns how to do drums.
I don't get the drum complaint. I'm happy Cole isn't running towards the same drums on every goddamn record that's out there. I'd rather this can Cole trying to formulate a banger every time.

Agreed on the content though, that's where he hasn't progressed much, though I think he has made strides with his production (though he's always been versatile).

exarkun

Hes on the cover of Black College Today the Magazine this month. Lulz

Omzz

Wasn't a fan of this album at first but it has started to grow on me. I just don't know how long Cole can keep talking about how Hov noticed him and college and whatever else he usually talks about. The fact that the album has so many tracks it sorta lacks depth.

I still enjoy most of it though.

I don't get the drum complaint. I'm happy Cole isn't running towards the same drums on every goddamn record that's out there. I'd rather this can Cole trying to formulate a banger every time.

This is such an odd rebuttal. There's plenty of songs that don't have the typical trap drums, that are still able to sound great within your car. Having good sounding drums doesn't equal being a banger either

Cole's dollar and a dream tour is in Toronto tomorrow.

Really want to go but I have work until 2:30.. don't know if I want to go all the way there and not be able to get in :(

Deff not a huge fan of the album. Not bad, but not what I was really looking forward to. My fav tracks are Illuminati, Mo Money, and Chaining Day.

it's one of my favorite albums of the year so far, thought that's not saying much. i've only copped j. cole, daft punk, kanye west, depeche mode, and queens of the stone age.

best songs:
villuminati
trouble
mo money (sucks it's only an interlude)
she knows
miss america
let bad down
born sinner
chaining day
power trip

everything else belongs on an r&b album.

Larson

Banned
I really like the album, good that somebody still makes some fresh beats (or borrows) and have some heavy sample use. Stand out tracks: Villuminati, Trouble, LAnd of Snakes, Rich Niggaz, Let Nas Down, Crooked Smile.

KAL2006

Banned
This album grew on me. At first I wasn't a fan, but after a few listens it gets better. Lucky I have something new to listen to, after the disappointment of Kanye's album. Also Nas Let Me Down remix is great too.

solarus

Wasn't a fan of this album at first but it has started to grow on me. I just don't know how long Cole can keep talking about how Hov noticed him and college and whatever else he usually talks about. The fact that the album has so many tracks it sorta lacks depth.

I still enjoy most of it though.
The lack of subject matter variety or him really talking about anything of worth besides displaying pretty good rapping acrobatics is what stops me from enjoying j cole as much as I could, I've just been bored with everything ever since his debut, man cole world sucked, after being excited as hell by the warm up.

GatorBait

Having a hard type deciding if I want to go with the standard or deluxe album art on my music collection. What's everyone else feelin' about the two covers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom