• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheerios Commercial comment section disable due to racists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

I wonder if this would have recieved the same reaction had it been a white man and a black woman.

http://youtu.be/kYofm5d5Xdw

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/31/cheerios-commercial-racist-backlash_n_3363507.html said:
Cheerios Commercial Featuring Mixed Race Family Gets Racist Backlash (VIDEO)
The Huffington Post | By Braden Goyette Posted: 05/31/2013 12:44 am EDT | Updated: 05/31/2013 10:36 am EDT

An adorable Cheerios commercial featuring an interracial couple and their daughter generated such a strong racist backlash on YouTube that the comments section had to be closed.

The ad had received more than 1,600 likes and more than 500 dislikes as of Thursday evening.

Prior to the closure, the comment section had been filled "with references to Nazis, 'troglodytes' and 'racial genocide,'" according to Adweek.

YouTube comment sections have a reputation for breeding racist flame wars. CNN focused on the issue earlier this year, after a panel addressing racism and race on YouTube was held at South By Southwest:

"Everyone gets hate comments on YouTube," said Andre Meadows, the creator of the Black Nerd Comedy channel. "You can make the most wonderful video in the world and you will get 'Fake!' and 'Gay!'"
But for minority creators, "when you get comments, it seems to be targeted toward race almost immediately. A lot of people get 'dumb video, stupid video' -- but with mine it immediately goes to racial slurs."

Commenters on the cereal's Facebook page also said they found the commercial "disgusting" and that it made them "want to vomit." Other hateful commenters expressed shock that a black father would stay with his family.

However, many took to Facebook to express their appreciation for Cheerios' decision to feature a mixed-race family.

"Having been mixed in the '70s, I'd like to thank everyone at Cheerios for making a commercial with an interracial couple! Going to buy boxes today! Many thanks for reflecting what my family looked like," Beschelle Lockhart posted Monday.

"Just watched your commercial with the biracial family. Beautiful. Thank you so much," Alexandra Burt wrote.

Cheerios was unfazed by the racist Internet backlash. "Consumers have responded positively to our new Cheerios ad. At Cheerios, we know there are many kinds of families and we celebrate them all," Camille Gibson, Cheerios vice president of marketing, told Gawker.

Talon

I really don't understand the mindset of these people that post this vitriol on YouTube.

Is the thought process?
1. My comment is useful and will have some sort of impact.
2. Everyone else is wrong and needs to hear my shit.

What's the goddamn point?

AkuMifune

Banned
I'm convinced none of these people are like this in real life. The internet is a worse poison for causing the jekyll/hyde syndrome than alcohol.

Talon

I'm convinced none of these people are like this in real life. The internet is a worse poison for causing the jekyll/Hyde syndrome than alcohol.

I'm even more convinced stripping anonymity from the internet would make the world a better place, but it would never happen.
Stripping anonymity has done nothing for people and children fucking up gloriously on Twitter and Facebook.

I would love for YouTube to publish data on the viewing habits of YouTube's most vile commenters. I bet it'd dig up some real gems like when OkCupid revealed those who like rough sex are into anime and those with iPhones get more sex than Android users.

AkuMifune

Banned
Stripping anonymity has done nothing for people and children fucking up gloriously on Twitter and Facebook.

Yeah, even after just a second thought I edited it out of my post. The people in the OP are using real names, or at least real sounding. We just suck at raising good humans.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I sometimes have a hard time deciding if I would rather marry a beautiful mixed-race woman, or marry a full-asian/hispanic/whatever woman and create beautiful mixed-race children.

Satch

Banned
I'm convinced none of these people are like this in real life. The internet is a worse poison for causing the jekyll/hyde syndrome than alcohol.

I personally think that we're learning more and more that anonymity means less than we all initially thought. Many people have no problem behaving in this way, even with their name attached to their comments.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Facebook proves people will proudly be racist, sexist, etc while displaying their name, photo and even location.

And I tend to see the Internet as the great revealer - removed of social pressures a lot of people demonstrate who and what they really are. It's an uncomfortable truth that many avoid; it's not nice to ponder how many are just plain shitty human beings but only mutter their crap behind backs offline.

Edit: I saw you edited the remark out, it's no prob.

I kinda wish they didn't turn off the comments, but I understand their decision, I suppose.

On that same note, fuck those people, really. Really and truly. Furthermore, I understand (sadly) why Hollywood doesn't go for mixed race couples.

CNN focused on the issue earlier this year, after a panel addressing racism and race on YouTube
CNN had a panel about internet trolling? Cause that's mostly what this is. Jackasses spout the most racist, homophobic, misogynistic shit they can to get attention.

Stop feeding the trolls, Blitzer!

Emitan

I uploaded a video of how long it took the original Wii U firmware to go from the main menu to the settings screen and back. It ended up with a comment in Japanese saying racist things about Koreans. Fucking Youtube comments, man.

Stop taking our womin, black folk.

daily_gifdump_375_07.gif

Can't do it

Valtýr

I'm willing to guess that most of the comments are just jerks being jerks and not legitimate racists being racist.

I took a commercial acting class earlier this year and the instructor actually told us not to show up to an audition that's casting husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend with someone outside your race because casting directors, probably for reasons just like this, almost never cast mixed race couples. It actually infuriated me to hear that, it's so silly to me.

Good on the Cheerios folks for giving 0 fucks and going with who ever they thought made the best couple.

Edit- just watched the commercial, it was actually quite heart warming.

Effect

I personally think that we're learning more and more that anonymity means less than we all initially thought. Many people have no problem behaving in this way, even with their name attached to their comments.

This is what always scares me about comment sections on news sites that have facebook integrated into them. People have problem at all saying the most racist things with their photo and real name attached to it.

Also that commercial is completely adorable.

True, and I wonder - if it's not anonymity, maybe it's the lack of contact? I used to think that's basically where all oppression came from - prolonged separation.

It explains most things save for sexism (well, it does to a degree there, but tgat's another subject). Perhaps the separation makes it easier for people? Hell, it's why it's harder to break up in person than over the phone, which in turn is harder than text.

indeed.

seriously peeps, find a news site that has Facebook login for comments. look for any kind of story involving race. then read the comments.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I seriously thought she was going to feed him while he going to yawn, when he started to wake up

Placing a whole bunch of Cheerios on the heart, is a good fucking touch

Also him waking up like the fuck, if I was him I would be like, I heard of Antiquing someone from sleep, but Cheerioing a brotha'?

Good to see Vince Young still getting work.

COT DAMN!

Healthy Cheerios in the Mornin'

Crunk as fuck in the evenin'
iA3MsAor3neMl.jpg

This is my view on 90% of Internet nonsense. Racist people exist obviously but the vitriol online is often an exaggerated consequence of anonymity, which breeds asshole behavior.

I tend to be more wary of folks who express ignorant, serious views about issues. The guy yelling fag nigger etc is probably an idiot 12 year old, but the guy seriously defending racism or bigotry (while denying it's racism or bigotry) gives me pause.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I just don't even understand why people bother spending the .005 calories it takes to type out the shitdick commentary, let alone mount and carry on a racist fueled debate with strangers on the comment section of a random video on one site of the Internet. Such a monumental waste of time.

It's like the social behavior of 4chan but with people using their real names and pictures. What is causing this? We need more research to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom