• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Moderators Deny Microsoft Astroturfing

Walshicus

New news, new thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579945

Full post here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1fyjgr/regarding_xbox_one_and_allegations_of_voterigging/

When you add all this up, what do we get? 36. Also, the inevitable conclusion: /r/gaming, we have been trolled. A zero-day account showed up with a lot of claims and no proof, but knew all the right things to say to rile up the community in their revulsion for both the XBox One and corporate interference in our free community. The post was explicitly designed to trigger rage at heavy-handed and Orwellian tactics, and it did exactly that.

Unfortunately, as is often the case with such crowdsourced rage, innocent bystanders got caught in the crossfire and were subjected to abuse and harassment that they'd done nothing to deserve. Just because they had said something nice—or even neutral—about Microsoft or its latest console, they found themselves at the receiving end of dox dumps, threatening PMs, and crowds of downvote brigades annihilating their user account all over reddit.

Friends, we can do better than that. We're a big community, and it shouldn't be so easy for someone to register a new account, type a couple paragraphs, and get a three-million-strong pitchfork mob going for funsies and lulz. When someone comes along with claims like that, we should take a cue from /r/IAmA — ask for proof. Demand proof. If we had done that in the beginning, we'd have quickly found out the whole thing was a fake, and saved this community from the last day full of headache and front page shenanigans.

In the end, no, we're not being manipulated by Microsoft. We were manipulated by something much less impressive: one person with no proof and another with a lie. I hope they got the cheap laughs they were after, because we sure as shit delivered one hell of a show.

We can do better than that. We owe it to ourselves to do better than that. I hope, going forward, we do.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Regardless, everyone can appreciate how difficult it is to walk that line between healthy scepticism and outright Macarthyism.

Mononoke

Banned
Lol, Reddit.

Surprise surprise. unsubstantiated reddit post causes a 1300 post Gaf thread with no basis.

Quoting someone below me, oh shnap. But yeah, this is the most shameful aspect of this. GAF needs to be more careful when re-posting certain stuff on here. To be fair though, didn't the thread have a Rumor tag on it?

EDIT: Nope, it did not. Although it does imply that a redditor "claims".

Truant

We believe it because we want to, even though we don't want it to be true. Most, if not all, of the fallout drama since the Xbox One reveal has been based on anonymous posts on forums.

I'm as against the hilarious fiasco that is the Xbox one as everyone, but the lack of source critique has been pathetic.

Servbot24

Banned
Given how unprofessional the specific reddit poster was, it was pretty obvious from the start. Lots of reasons to shit on MS lately, but this time people were really reaching.

I really don't understand how that post gained as much traction as it did. I mean, I understand that it's okay to hate MS these days, but you'd think the internet community would demand some kind of proof for that specific post.

Zeroth

Surprise surprise. unsubstantiated reddit post causes a 1300 post Gaf thread with no basis.

Thing is, GAF has actual evidence we have astroturfers, which is what moved most of the discussion in that thread. And I find it hard to believe Reddit really has no astroturfing whatsoever.

legacyzero

Banned

The basis is that It's actually happening, at least here on GAF. If it's happening on GAF (where it takes an eternity to get your account approved) certainly they have to be on Reddit. Isn't Reddit an instant membership?

Daedardus

Contradicts with what bishoptl said about the new juniors.

Maybe this mod is a shill?
lol, this is going too far

Walshicus

In before:

"Well, sir, your point about Xbox One hysteria is well taken. This reporter promises to be more trusting and less vigilant in the future."

Because *someone* needed to say it.

Joni

We believe it because we want to, even though we don't want it to be true.
Or because Bish has said it is happening here, and we have no reason to believe they would only target NeoGAF and not the more known Reddit.

Meanwhile, bish & co continues to ban Microsoft astroturfers that managed to register on GAF. Subsequently, I find the post in question hard to believe, considering it's a piece of piss to create a new Reddit account (username & password, that's it. An e-mail address is optional).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is there actually any chance where this isn't true though? MAybe they don't have confirmed instances of it but I don't know how there could be absolutely none of it. Not just for Microsoft, of course.

Sober

The basis is that It's actually happening, at least here on GAF. If it's happening on GAF (where it takes an eternity to get your account approved) certainly they have to be on Reddit. Isn't Reddit an instant membership?
You can't pay off GAF mods though, that's the thing.

Oni Jazar

We apologise for the fault in the Astroturfing claims. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.

Nekofrog

Banned
Just because one guy faked shit doesn't mean it's not happening.

Spend five minutes on that subreddit (I know, spending five minutes on ANY part of reddit is a goddamn nightmare, but try it), and you'll see astroturfers EVERYWHERE.

You really think someone would do that, just go on the Internet and tell lies?

nonsense.gif

Love the people taking this update and then declaring GAF's problems with shills unsubstantiated.

I'd love you guys to send a lovely PM to Bish and tell him his bannings of people who clearly read off a script signed up using email accounts of known marketing agencies that work for Microsoft are now all imaginary because some douche troll on Reddit was outed.

EDIT: And I should really point out that the fact that this particular claim and "evidence" was bullshit does not mean that there are no shills. It just means that the claim was bullshit. Some people really can't grasp that concept.

EDIT2: That said, regular members shouldn't start going all witch-hunt-y on this. Moderators can and will tell when there are shills in topics. I'd rather E3 not involve a thousand people claiming another thousand are all shills just because you don't agree with them.

Burt

Considering that people have had their personal information posted online for simply not being vehemently anti-Microsoft, you might think that the person purposely made a new account and didn't post any photographic evidence so as to, I dunno, not lose her job and future employment opportunities? Complete denial of a Microsoft presence is a fucking joke, even if this person is trolling.

macewank

Spend five minutes on that subreddit (I know, spending five minutes on ANY part of reddit is a goddamn nightmare, but try it), and you'll see astroturfers EVERYWHERE.

this. it may not be as bad as the apparent-fake post makes it sound, but astroturfing is absolutely afoot on forums/social sites.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I thought about entering the thread here in GAF to attempt disprove the claims, but I honestly feared getting banned. In Hacker News I lost all my Karma over This. The reputation I started building a this year down the shitter.

Dangerous times if you like the Xbox. LOL

Could you post some examples? I'm curious to see what you clearly feel is astroturfing on reddit.

harSon

Banned
I said it in another thread, but the addition of reliable forthcoming sources have been the best and worst thing about these last 1-2 years. On one hand, we've received some fairly sound information months/years ahead of schedule, but on the other hand, it's created a climate where baseless rumors are taken as fact, especially if they fit nicely with a popular narrative. This rumor was literally the equivalent of "my family member/friend is an Intern at X, and has told me Y," which would have been laughed off as the joke it was only a year or two prior to this.

Bururian

THis is why i hate Reddit. It's such a pitchfork and torch community that the moment you do something they don't like, your account is ruined, and in some cases, personal details about the person comes to the surface. They like to say they're not like that, but they really are, and it happens far too often to be acceptable.

Daedardus

Love the people taking this update and then declaring GAF's problems with shills unsubstantiated.

I'd love you guys to send a lovely PM to Bish and tell him his bannings of people clearly reading off a script with accounts for marketing agencies that work for Microsoft are all imaginary because some douche troll on Reddit was outed.

EDIT: And I should really point out that the fact that this particular claim and "evidence" was bullshit does not mean that there are no shills. It just means that the claim was bullshit. Some people really can't grasp that concept.

Are we reading the same thread? Everyone is dismissing that mod just because bish said there were shills on GAF.

Top Bottom