• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Moderators Deny Microsoft Astroturfing

Meanwhile, bish & co continues to ban Microsoft astroturfers that managed to register on GAF. Subsequently, I find the post in question hard to believe, considering it's a piece of piss to create a new Reddit account (username & password, that's it. An e-mail address is optional).

I didn't mention the bans on here were wrong. I didn't say anyone did anything bad on Gaf. all I said was that a huge thread blew up with loads of accusations from an unsubstantiated post. it's a shame because now it's going to look like many people excited about the xbox one could be accused of being MS employees.

All of the big 3 have paid shills. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is the exception. Just can't see them doing it for some reason.

Is there actually any chance where this isn't true though? MAybe they don't have confirmed instances of it but I don't know how there could be absolutely none of it. Not just for Microsoft, of course.

While /r/gaming is a cesspool of shit, I do not doubt for one minute that it isn't happening.

Any company is dumb to ignore:

a) free unlimited registration
b) large community
c) anyone can post or comment
d) potentially seen by hundreds of thousands to millions of people

We just happen to see Microsoft do it more, cause, well, that's what we're looking for because it goes against our gaming views, whereas a simple pro sony or pro nintendo wouldn't garner nearly as much attention.

Besides damage control is extremely easy to see so...

No, they're denying this specific instance of astroturfing. That original thread could be, and has every potential to be made up, but reddit DOES have its shills, just like GAF.

Rolf NB

An online marketing firm that does not engage in planting and astroturfing? An utterly outrageous claim, and I want some evidence presented to me before giving it any second thought.

See how that works?

Zeroth

Is there actually any chance where this isn't true though? MAybe they don't have confirmed instances of it but I don't know how there could be absolutely none of it. Not just for Microsoft, of course.

Reading on the Reddit post, he mentions this:

2. In the comments on that post, several people chimed in with similar stories. One individual claimed to work for Waggener Edstrom, whose client list does include Microsoft, and alleged that this PR firm was "really trying to ramp up their presence on blog sites and Reddit in particular."

3. I have since communicated with Peter Wootton, Senior Vice President for Waggener Edstrom, who reviewed his firm's employee and contractor records and found no trace of the individual in (2) ever having worked for or with them, and as such that individual would have no knowledge of any of the operations of that firm. I reviewed the data he sent me and found it compelling enough to assert that it is true and correct.

4. I asked Mr. Wootton the following questions, on the record:
Is your firm now, or has it been in the past, engaged in using paid or unpaid staff, contractors, volunteers, or associates to post, comment, and/or vote on content for or on behalf of any company, firm, or organization in the /r/Gaming section of reddit.com? Has your firm ever advised or suggested to any other company, firm, or organization that it should use its own paid or unpaid staff, contractors, volunteers, or associates to post, comment, and/or vote on content in the /r/Gaming section of reddit.com?

5. His response appears below:
Totally fair question, Dan. The answer is no. Waggener Edstrom adheres to a strict code of ethics and conduct in terms of how we participate in social forums and services as individuals, and on behalf of the clients we counsel and represent.

Seems like he denied the company thought to be astroturfing is actually astroturfing, but he doesn't necessarily deny there are astroturfers in Reddit. The thread seems to be more focused on "Don't believe baseless rumours" than "We don't have astroturfers", though without the moderation taking a stance the later will be given more credit, specially with this false logic:

8. Let's also look at it from a pragmatic standpoint. If Microsoft was trying to manipulate /r/gaming, they're certainly not doing it effectively. Ever since the XBox One was revealed, the commentary on it in this community has been universally negative. Our entire front page, for the last 24 hours, has consisted entirely of memes making fun of Microsoft and the XBox One.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Oh, bullshit. Somehow it's happening on GAF but not Reddit? Yeah right. And here come the know-it-alls to blame GAF for "believing everything." Do a cross search for their user name in the other thread and witness fair weather posting.

Darknight

I dont really go to reddit but Im sure MS employees are doing some damage control on the nets even here. Having said that, dont trust redditors lol, trust bish and his ban hammer.

methane47

So they are dismissing it because its a Brand new account?

I would create a brand new account to drop bombs like that as well. Especially if my colleagues and/or bosses already associate me with a specific account.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
JJuWBVa.png

lCCusoV.png

Nekofrog

Banned
In addition to my previous post, it almost seems like this declaration by reddit mods gives future astroturfers the green light to kick it into high gear.

edit: lol using the 0-day account excuse to disprove it. Because it's not like it's now a WELL KNOWN practice on reddit to create a 0day account to post news like this due to fear of reprisal. mods even fucking encourage throwaway accounts. something is going on here.

-PXG-

Except GAF fell for it completely. Which is understandable since there are confirmed MS shills here.

There are shills, sycophants and undercover marketing people all over the place. I just don't like the general attitude of Reddit and how the site is structured.

I just do my best to ignore the bullshit.

The sticky E3 thread on /v/ is a riot.

Are we reading the same thread? Everyone is dismissing that mod just because bish said there were shills on GAF.

I'm not talking about this thread, there are plenty of other threads, like the Microsoft E3 one, where people are dismissing the entirety of the shill problem with handwave arguments like "so what? Everyone does it" and "Haha stupid GAF for falling for Reddit trolls, the shill problem is really overblown".

JWong

Banned
NSA infiltrates Reddit
Microsoft signs NSA prism agreement
Reddit allows Microsoft astroturfing

/conspiracytheory

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Because that's kind of what Reddit is saying - who would tell lies on the internet? As others pointed out above just because one guy was a fake or at troll doesn't mean Reddit isn't infested with viral marketers. (Because everyone has them.)

Maybe the problem with the whole concept. You can't prove there are astroturfers at work in every given instance. But it's probably not safe to assume there are none of them around.

harSon

Banned
But what about the accounts on GAF?

There's definitely astroturfing occurring, but I believe it to be lone wolves protecting a product they've invested thousands of hours of their lives into, instead of the corporate sanctioned policy that people are pushing it to be.

How do the mods here on gaf know if a poster is an astroturfer and not simply a delusional console warrior?

A combination of posting habits and the email accounts they sign up with. It's not just a matter of banning people who are defending MS.

There's also a list going around of the common arguments the astroturfers are using. They use a few very prominent key words and the arguments almost always do little but deflect or derail a debate.

Zeroth

There's definitely astroturfing occurring, but I believe it to be lone wolves protecting a product they've invested thousands of hours of their lives into, instead of the corporate sanctioned policy that people are pushing it to be.

Except it's a funny coincidence all these hardcore microsoft fans have social agencies emails and speak through PR language to defend their favorite company.

Below: Post #66

I would like to see the "proof" that was used here since there were several members who were banned without just cause (which are no longer banned now, but still). It is mind-boggling how quickly the quality of discussion dropped as a result of all this.

Perkel

Banned
Are we reading the same thread? Everyone is dismissing that mod just because bish said there were shills on GAF.

Neogaf is closed community and has ton of shills
Redit is open community and does not have shills

Do you see problem here ?

Correct me if im wrong but astroturfing isnt when an extreme fanboy defends his console or company of choice but when they actually are paid to do it.

Sorian

Banned
I would like to see the "proof" that was used here since there were several members who were banned without just cause (which are no longer banned now, but still). It is mind-boggling how quickly the quality of discussion dropped as a result of all this.

It's all in the e-mail address, my man. There are other factors too in some cases. I don't know the specific examples you are talking about but that's the general answer.

Not sure I understand. They're obviously not registering under MS employee email addresses. So I guess they all register under the same paid email service provider?

They're registering under a company email address and that company is known to do social media marketing and stuff like that.

Flatline

Banned
The Reddit mod didn't deny anything and doesn't know shit. He asked a PR firm and the PR firm denied it which is the equivalent of asking Major Nelson to confirm a negative story about Xbone. His announcement just gave us info we already had, he just assumed that the post was wrong because the account was new.

Schrade

Stinkles mentioned that the buildings that were talked about the in Reddit posts weren't even close to each other. Can someone who is familiar with the buildings in questions mark them on a Redmond Campus Map? There's plenty of maps available via Google image search.

I just want to see how far apart they are.

jaypah

EDIT2: That said, regular members shouldn't start going all witch-hunt-y on this. Moderators can and will tell when there are shills in topics. I'd rather E3 not involve a thousand people claiming another thousand are all shills just because you don't agree with them.

Too late, it's already happening and it's annoying as hell. Some people just love interned-detective witch-hunts, especially when they know there's a possibility to actually catch a witch. Combine that with folks who are now "outraged" with MS despite the fact that they spent the last Gen shitting on MS anyway and....well, I feel sorry for folks with Xbox stamps on their avatars because they'll be targeted for who knows how long. I don't agree with you = shill.

I will say the whole thing is very interesting (maybe even entertaining) so I can see the glamour in wanting to call someone out but, like I said, at a point it's just going to get annoying.

Daedardus

The Reddit mod didn't deny anything and doesn't know shit. He asked a PR firm and the PR firm denied it which is the equivalent of asking Major Nelson to confirm a negative story about Xbone. The post just gave us info we already had, he just assumed that the post was wrong because the account was new.

Yup, if I were that guy from the PR firm, I would deny everything. The government can do it, so why can't he?

Inversive

If there are shills on GAF they are on Reddit too for sure. The Reddit mods can safely be disregarded as talking shit.

Too late, it's already happening and it's annoying as hell. Some people just love interned-detective witch-hunts, especially when they know there's a possibility to actually catch a witch. Combine that with folks who are now "outraged" with MS despite the fact that they spent the last Gen shitting on MS anyway and....well, I feel sorry for folks with Xbox stamps on their avatars because they'll be targeted for who knows how long. I don't agree with you = shill.

I will say the whole thing is very interesting (maybe even entertaining) so I can see the glamour in wanting to call someone out but, like I said, at a point it's just going to get annoying.

Yeah, it's happening already unfortunately. That was just me making an extremely futile attempt to point it out :(

GAF during the Microsoft presser tomorrow will certainly be...interesting.

So the basis for debunking the whole idea of astroturfing on reddit was just based on asking a SVP of Waggener Edstrom? Unless you mean like Waggener Edstrom is the only PR firm that does this kind of work.

Top Bottom