• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wind Waker HD trailer

Ein Bear

Looks great, can't believe people thought they were going to ruin the artstyle. 1080p confirmed too, daaaayum.

They did, now they've toned it back again.

Yep. Someone will eventually post a comparison, but they pulled the bloom waaay back and the shading looks more cartoony I think. Still no black lines, but it looks a lot more wind waker-y than before.

Not sure I understand...it looks almost exactly the same.

GCN WW running on Wii with progressive scan still looks fantastic.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Bloom burns my eyes. Tone that shit down.

I really want to know if they are adding anything else aside from random stuff like a faster sail, but I figured it would've been mentioned if so.

Not sure I understand...it looks almost exactly the same.

GCN WW running on Wii with progressive scan still looks fantastic.

Feel the same way, it looked exactly the same to me.

The screens they showed before looked amazing and I thought they redid the whole thing again or something. I didn't know they just did the HD collection on us and just upped the graphics a bit.

Wind Waker's still a good game but I don't think I'm picking this up.

Vanille

Looks... okay. Not really different enough to warrant the effort they seem to be putting into it. I think most people would have been fine with just an upres.

Deku Tree

I would buy that if it is $29.99.
Should have told us about new content and tablet features.
The Tingle help system was extremely dumb.
WW is not a difficult game at all...

Teppic

Wish they added a motor boat. Constantly changing wind and the long boat trips has lessened my motivation to replay this game.

rubius01

Curious if the draw distance has been increased to where you can see the islands that are more than one square away. eg The Tower of the Gods

Horns

What an amazing game. It brings back memories. In some ways it was ahead of its time.

The biggest complaint I can recall is the lack of larger islands and each square of the map having exactly 1 island. I'd still rebuy this.

Sentenza

I was actually hoping for some more substantial upgrade/redesign.
I already played the game, and I already replayed it in HD through Dolphin, too.

This is just adding... a lot more bloom?

Firebrand

Wind Waker GC looks better tbh. The bloom ruins it.

I hope they take the opportunity to add more content, really liked WW but it definitely felt sort of empty outside of the main islands.

orioto

Good Art™
Nice to see they heard peopl's voice, even it a little sad that they have to correct their game by people's demand now..

Problem is with the feed quality it looked like the original game :p
Also they shouldn't focus so much on a remaster... That says a lot.

AniHawk

er. game looks a lot different versus the gamecube wind waker. come on guys.

i'm surprised at nintendo's restraint in not calling it the legend of zelda: wind new waker.

upandaway

I think WW on Dolphin looks a lot better than that. Not sure what's the point.. especially if the biggest change they have to offer is fixing the Tingle Tuner.

Cartman86

Banned
Wind Waker GC looks better tbh. The bloom ruins it.

I hope they take the opportunity to add more content, really liked WW but it definitely felt sort of empty outside of the main islands.

Didn't like it when they first showed it, but this new footage has a lot to like. I should probably never go back and look at the original though.

Madness

They really toned it back from what they showed earlier, though you're right, still far too much bloom.

At least it'll be 1080p... But while I love the game, one of my favorites of all time. I nearly got 100% completion on it back during the gamecube days. Have no urge to replay it since I know what the story is, where everything is. Especially that damn triforce piece hunt.

But if you've never played this game, now would be a great time to pick it up if you have a Wii U.

jediyoshi

If you don't see a difference between 480p and 1080p there is something very wrong with your vision.

He's saying aesthetically, outside of the resolution bump.

It's a pretty stark difference, it's like not being able to see filters being used on 2d games in emulators.

ToxicAdam

I was actually hoping for some more substantial upgrade/redesign.
I already played the game, and I already replayed it in HD through Dolphin, too.

This is just adding... a lot more bloom?

I agree with this. I think the shadows and the lighting looks better, the crispness of the graphic fidelity is there but it's not really enough to feel like you are seeing something new.

I'm eager to see this on an actual HD screen to see if I'm wrong.

Nintendo c'mon put in a total HUD-less TV mode
FcHZ0WL.png

mrkgoo

Iwata mentioned that they are tweaking the game to improve pacing or tempo or something. I hope this is an allusion to the tri-force hunt to be toned down somewhat, a missing dungeon replaced or difficulty upped (the game is great but damage dealt by enemies was too low - made getting heart containers feel worthless, a forts for a Zelda game!)

I watched the trailer on youtube compressed to hell and thought it looked pretty good. I still got the feeling I couldn't tell what it would look like on my TV. I just realized (I know, I'm slow) that the E3 trailers are on the eShop. Oh man, this game looks GOOD. So crisp and smooth. I feel like I can reach into the screen and touch the boat. If you haven't checked out the eShop trailer yet, do yourself a favor and watch. I can't wait to play this game again.

I agree. It looks pretty similar and it doesn't peak my interest.

There's also no new content.

This. I actually just canceled my pre order for the game. Unless they add a new temple(s) Im not interested... They did that with Links Awakening when it released in colour... So it could of been possible. :-(

jett

D-Member
They definitely toned down the craziness of the first footage they showed. Looks way closer to the original, only with HDR and more shades of color on the characters. :p Looks nice, wish it was 60fps(and wish they had added the scrapped dungeons).

Hermii

Yep. Someone will eventually post a comparison, but they pulled the bloom waaay back and the shading looks more cartoony I think. Still no black lines, but it looks a lot more wind waker-y than before.

WW looks too cartoony? Isnt that the point of cell shading?

AniHawk

well i did play it today. had my ass handed to me unexpectedly during the boss fight. really not used to playing the game on anything but a gamecube controller. it looks gorgeous in motion. really beautiful. i asked if it was in 60fps and the guy didn't know (i didn't know either because i can't tell- i was just planning to relay info).

i also asked about extra content, and he said he didn't know about that either. however, he was the editor on the game, which suggests he really would know if anything extra was on the way.

Hermii

They really toned it back from what they showed earlier, though you're right, still far too much bloom.

At least it'll be 1080p... But while I love the game, one of my favorites of all time. I nearly got 100% completion on it back during the gamecube days. Have no urge to replay it since I know what the story is, where everything is. Especially that damn triforce piece hunt.

But if you've never played this game, now would be a great time to pick it up if you have a Wii U.

They fixed the triforce hunt now.

Screenboy

You'd think they'd show off some of the better moments of the game in HD rather than the beginning sections of a game that's been out for over 10 years.

Top Bottom