• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wind Waker HD trailer

The thing is these lighting effects would be PERFECT for Twilight Princess, which already had some bloom, and used realistic lighting. WW was never going for realism, it was going for cartoon, and it succeeded masterfully. I just do not understand what they were thinking.

The islands, felt like tropical sun drenched islands because of the art, not because of a bloom filter that diminishes the clean crisp, timeless art of the original. I'm amazed that so many people are OK with this, considering lesser changes to beloved properties have been bitched about more.

D.Lo

I have never heard of this before. Please tell me more.
Japanese triforce hunt was even longer. I seem to recall at one point you get a map that leads to a map that leads to a map that leads to a triforce piece. It was cut down to one map per piece for western release.

Neiteio

1080p and 30fps of a 2 gen ago old game...wow, what an age we live in.
Ah, so it's 30 fps? I'm guessing it has to do with the animations being tailored to 30 fps instead of 60?

The new lighting and shaders, coupled with 16:9 1080p, still make it a nice visual upgrade.

The thing is these lighting effects would be PERFECT for Twilight Princess, which already had some bloom, and used realistic lighting. WW was never going for realism, it was going for cartoon, and it succeeded masterfully. I just do not understand what they were thinking.

The islands, felt like tropical sun drenched islands because of the art, not because of a bloom filter that diminishes the clean crisp, timeless art of the original. I'm amazed that so many people are OK with this, considering lesser changes to beloved properties have been bitched about more.

While the HD treatment might be good for TP, you have to think of it from Nintendo's point of view: it's the 10-year anniversary of Wind Waker, which is a good time to "celebrate" the game with a remake and bring it to new and old fans alike; and TP, as far as Nintendo is concerned, is only a last-gen game, having launched with the Wii. I don't think they consider it "old" enough to merit the HD treatment yet - it's not as far removed from people's minds as Wind Waker is.

And I think people are OK with the remake because 1) the aesthetic changes make the game crisp, smooth and well-lit while still preserving the game's style; and 2) the functional changes, such as the faster boat, are entirely welcome and will likely improve the play experience in subtle, but important ways. There's really nothing "wrong" with the remake so far, outside of some subjective concerns about the "integrity" of the game's original art style. As a person who was on-board with WW's style from day zero, I think the remake looks lovely and I can't wait to play it.

DaBoss

I feel like this is more toon like than the original Wind Waker. Really interesting result they got here from changing it up.

I like the new style. More than I did after seeing the old one.

The purpose of the bloom was to give it a seaside look, which I believe was mentioned in the developer direct. That's why you don't see it in indoor locations, like training with the old man. It's not random. And I think that it works, thinking of being near water in general.

...Though that may come from always opening my eyes underwater...

RobertC

Banned
I've played some Wind Waker on Dolphin Emulator on PC...

1080p HD graphics... fine, whatever.
Bloom out the ass filter, sure thing buddy.

I am looking forward to the things that affect the gameplay changes the most.

Japanese triforce hunt was even longer. I seem to recall at one point you get a map that leads to a map that leads to a map that leads to a triforce piece. It was cut down to one map per piece for western release.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was that.

It would be fun to see the reactions if the "Triforce hunt" tweaking they promised will just be the American version of the Triforce hunt worldwide. I know that's likely not it, considering they're telling Americans it will be tweaked, but still.

Lettuce

So is there any point at all to get this if you can play it on the Dolphin emulator with the gfx patches??. Apparently they rushed out the GC version and so a few dungeons didn't make it in will these be included in the the Wii U version?

Goddamnit.

The water still clips right into the boat.

qZ6QBhy.jpg

linkofrs

Neo Member
Dang that bloom. This is definitely an improvement in terms of visual quality. I would probably buy it for 60$ but I buy anything with the word zelda written on it. Also I might be able to get my little brother to play this finally since its newer tv friendly. Our Tv is terrible in terms of setup with anything other then hdmi.

Frillen

The fact that it's 30fps doesn't surprise me since no Zelda has ever gone 60fps. The most important thing for me is 1080p and faster boat traveling.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Not related to the game itself, but Cosmo just beat his WR for Wind Waker again.

4:32:26, I think he beats it by 4 minutes.

Luthos

Is the grappling hook animation quicker in the trailer? That might be the best change of all.

But yeah, I still think it's too bloomy. Specifically the day time shots.

TriGen

Not related to the game itself, but Cosmo just beat his WR for Wind Waker again.

4:32:26, I think he beats it by 4 minutes.

Watched the whole thing live, very cool.

He also said he's going to stream WWHD when it comes out.

Top Bottom