• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wind Waker HD trailer

Interesting. My time with Wind Waker on the GCN was plenty and recently I experienced Wind Waker on my laptop @1080p with widescreen enabled.

This doesn't look quite the same, but the improvements made with the speed and tweaks to the gameplay are interesting. Now where in the world is the Wii U Zelda?

Rich!

This. I actually just canceled my pre order for the game. Unless they add a new temple(s) Im not interested... They did that with Links Awakening when it released in colour... So it could of been possible. :-(

hmm. There's always a chance man

big youth

I don't know if it's bloom or something else, but there's obviously room for improvement. the game looks washed out in some shots, and overly dark (?) during the night scenes.

Pity, but I guess I should have expected the same models/animations to be used.

Still wondering what new features the game will have that will make it a must-buy.

jett

D-Member
well i did play it today. had my ass handed to me unexpectedly during the boss fight. really not used to playing the game on anything but a gamecube controller. it looks gorgeous in motion. really beautiful. i asked if it was in 60fps and the guy didn't know (i didn't know either because i can't tell- i was just planning to relay info).

i also asked about extra content, and he said he didn't know about that either. however, he was the editor on the game, which suggests he really would know if anything extra was on the way.

According to gamersyde, it apparently runs at just 30fps. Since they're always releasing 60fps footage, I trust 'em.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_wind_waker_gameplay-14237_en.html

I'd trade 1080p(if it's really running at 1080p) for 60fps.

The Lamp

Looks great, can't believe people thought they were going to ruin the artstyle. 1080p confirmed too, daaaayum.

They did.

The at-sea segments during the day are still intolerable. The blue, overbearing hazy bloom is so blinding it looks like you're sailing through a turquoise fog the entire game.

WTF is wrong with Nintendo? FIX THE BLOOM. And what's with putting the ugly blue fog on the islands too??
wYXrvLO.png

PokéKong

Brown and bloom nearly ruined Twilight Princess, now it's creepin into WW? Wind Waker looked so nice because it was SHARP and CLEAN, now everything seems to indicate they want it all soft and fuzzy with vaseline smeared on the camera?

Jarnet87

Excited for this on the Wii U. Didn't buy it the first time around for whatever reason.

Edit: Agree with Batman. I may have a hard time paying 60 for this unless we hear they added a lot of new things. 40 is the sweet spot.

According to gamersyde, it apparently runs at just 30fps. Since they're always releasing 60fps footage, I trust 'em.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_wind_waker_gameplay-14237_en.html

I'd trade 1080p(if it's really running at 1080p) for 60fps.

I was expecting 30 fps to be honest. Depending on how the animation and engine works, increasing the framerate to 60 fps might be a lot more complicated than just unlocking the framerate, if you get what I mean. It could cause all sorts of unexpected results. Does it run at 60 in Dolphin? Honest question.

Anyways, I think it looks beautiful. The bloom is exactly where and when it should be. It makes the bright sunny moments look bright and sunny. Given the dynamic weather in the game that's a huge plus imho. When the clouds break after a storm is going to be an even cooler moment than before.

And remember the early stuff we saw wasn't Wind Waker HD. It was an environment test done for the *next* Zelda game to see if the Wind Waker artstyle looked good in HD. They were never going to make a Wind Waker with Link's eyebrows behind his hair.

Jonboy

If you don't see a difference between 480p and 1080p there is something very wrong with your vision.
Random, yet somewhat related question, for gaming....is there a definitive answer to playing in 720p v.s. 1080i? Which is better specifically for gaming?

I'm on a somewhat older plasma that doesn't support 1080p (clarification: supports a 1080p signal, but doesn't display in 1080p).

Sushigod7

They did.

The at-sea segments during the day are still intolerable. The blue, overbearing hazy bloom is so blinding it looks like you're sailing through a turquoise fog the entire game.

WTF is wrong with Nintendo? FIX THE BLOOM. And what's with putting the ugly blue fog on the islands too??
wYXrvLO.png

The bloom is literally like looking into the sun. That trailer is so washed out not's not remotely HD looking as in crisp visuals etc. WW is one of my favorite Zelda games I want this to turn out well hopefully they can tone things down a little the new mechanics are welcome at least.

Anteo

So what's up with the ONLY ON at the end of the trailer. Did they use that before? Or have they been reading gaf

Jinko

Wow the nostalgia is strong whilst watching that trailer ;.;

Probably not worth buying again especially if full price.

belmonkey

I was expecting 30 fps to be honest. Depending on how the animation and engine works, increasing the framerate to 60 fps might be a lot more complicated than just unlocking the framerate, if you get what I mean. It could cause all sorts of unexpected results. Does it run at 60 in Dolphin? Honest question.

Anyways, I think it looks beautiful. The bloom is exactly where and when it should be. It makes the bright sunny moments look bright and sunny. Given the dynamic weather in the game that's a huge plus imho. When the clouds break after a storm is going to be an even cooler moment than before.

And remember the early stuff we saw wasn't Wind Waker HD. It was an environment test done for the *next* Zelda game to see if the Wind Waker artstyle looked good in HD. They were never going to make a Wind Waker with Link's eyebrows behind his hair.

About the Dolphin part, I was actually just checking. The only Youtube video I found had it at 1080p / 30 FPS.

Rehynn

They did.

wYXrvLO.png

Intolerable? Really? The game looks 90% the same. I personally think the bloom adds a dream-like quality to the graphics, which is kind of cool.

Oh hey, it's... Wind Waker. With some killer bloom added on top.

Was expecting a bigger graphical overhaul after the first screens. Especially since they (as expected) didn't really do much to improve the gameplay. Insta wind changing on the gamepad should have been a no brainer, some boost wasn't nearly as necessary as this.

I'm curious how they've ,,fixed'' the fetch quest. Probably not too spectacular, considering how the rest of the game looks.
lol if full price

Was expecting a bigger graphical overhaul after the first screens. Especially since they (as expected) didn't really do much to improve the gameplay. Insta wind changing on the gamepad should have been a no brainer, some boost wasn't nearly as necessary as this.

I'm curious how they've ,,fixed'' the fetch quest. Probably not too spectacular, considering how the rest of the game looks.
lol if full price

Changing the wind does seem a lot faster, though. Sure, it's not instant, but it definitely is faster.

They did.

wYXrvLO.png

i disagree. looks good.

lol if full price

59,999 yen...

Appleman

Intolerable? Really? The game looks 90% the same. I personally think the bloom adds a dream-like quality to the graphics, which is kind of cool.

Saw it in person yesterday, and I completely agree. Game looks BEAUTIFUL, and much much much better than the Dolphin version.

Top Bottom