• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wind Waker HD trailer

Galang

Banned
Not big on console Zelda, but I've bought all of them except this one. At the time it came out I was addicted to online games.

Looks dreamy to me. I think it looks a lot better than the original even in dolphin. This is pretty much a new game for me

Meier

Wind Waker still has the best graphics of any game ever released IMO. This makes them even better.. it looks like playing an actual animated film. Stunning.

zma1013

I wonder if they took out that horrible depth of field effect the original game had? DOF just does not belong with cartoon graphics like these.

D.Lo

Holy crap they fixed it?

I hated it before but now it is Wind Waker again!

I AM BACK TO EXCITE GOD DAMN I LOVE WIND WAKER SO MUCH

I imagine it being a rather small tweak. Like lowering the amount of shards or the amount of money required to decipher them. I don't see them making an entirely new dungeon in its place or something.

D.Lo

I imagine it being a rather small tweak. Like lowering the amount of shards or the amount of money required to decipher them. I don't see them making an entirely new dungeon in its place or something.
Well, the English version already cut down the triforce hunt from the Japanese version, believe it or not.

Maybe they're just giving the Japanese version the English Triforce hunt?

that said I was never bothered by it, I had heaps of pieces already by the time I needed them because I was exploring the whole time. Like the artifacts in Metroid Prime.

jett

D-Member
I was expecting 30 fps to be honest. Depending on how the animation and engine works, increasing the framerate to 60 fps might be a lot more complicated than just unlocking the framerate, if you get what I mean. It could cause all sorts of unexpected results. Does it run at 60 in Dolphin? Honest question.

Anyways, I think it looks beautiful. The bloom is exactly where and when it should be. It makes the bright sunny moments look bright and sunny. Given the dynamic weather in the game that's a huge plus imho. When the clouds break after a storm is going to be an even cooler moment than before.

And remember the early stuff we saw wasn't Wind Waker HD. It was an environment test done for the *next* Zelda game to see if the Wind Waker artstyle looked good in HD. They were never going to make a Wind Waker with Link's eyebrows behind his hair.

Emulators don't usually increase framerates like that, so it's just 30fps. Unless the framerate is unlocked in the original, but this is not the case with WW.

And I agree that the game looks nice as-is. Despite some changes, it has retained the look of the original and even improved several assets.

Double

Looks like a great update. They really captured the feeling of being out on the sea.
The problem always was them not being able to really FILL the otherwise beautiful world. Huge seas with scattered, tiny, meaningless "islands"? This game could have been so much more.

So yeah, I would have approved a sequel that improved on that regard (Triforce hunt was NOT the problem for me, rather a symptom of one of the big problems (too few dungeons)) rather than a remake...

Rehynn

Does anyone have a better quality, full-size version of this picture? This is the best one I've been able to find.

wiiuzeldawwillu01e3.jpg

EDIT: OK, found one. Here it is in case anyone wants to check it out: http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18qjph5jaxjmbjpg/original.jpg

Nozem

It looks exactly the same as I remember playing it. That must be my memory, but it still doesn't make me wanna buy this version.

JimboJones

They did.

The at-sea segments during the day are still intolerable. The blue, overbearing hazy bloom is so blinding it looks like you're sailing through a turquoise fog the entire game.

WTF is wrong with Nintendo? FIX THE BLOOM. And what's with putting the ugly blue fog on the islands too??
wYXrvLO.png

Not sure if it's intentional or just a side effect of bloom slider set to high but they might be trying to imitate rayleigh or atmospheric scattering. This is when objects takes on the color of the atmosphere the further away you are from it.

Looks better than the early shots, but honestly the new lighting kinda kills it for me. Comparing this to 1080p dolphin WW, the original just looks better for the art style to me. THe biggest issue I have is that the new lighting makes all the characters look more 3-d than they did before, and that's NOT good for cell shading. Instead of the hand drawn look, in a lot of the scenes in the trailer it looks kinda I dunno, claymation. You lose a lot of the stark differentiation between characters and background that you had in the original.

Technically the lighting is way better, but for the art style of the game, it just doesn't fit in most of the outdoor areas. Indoor areas are a lot better though, and the sailing scenes on the whole aren't too bad either.

Van Owen

Banned
GC Version - a living, breathing cartoon

Wii U Version - someone discovering the bloom effect in Maya for the first time and putting it everywhere

Looks great. Day 1.

I never played the original on GC, so my opinion is probably mismatched, but I like the new art FAR better than the GC version.

Damn, Gamecube version looks SO much better.

especially that stretched out from 4:3 to 16:9?

the video on the right has incorrect aspect ratio

also the bloom works as it is a tropical island setting. i actually like it when the sun is beating down on me but then again i grew up at the beach.

BY2K

Membero Americo
They already turned it down a bit from the first screenshot of the game they showed back in January, even.

Here's an image that shows what I mean, the characters don't look that round in this HD render from Dolphin. It looks amazing in high res, but that new lighting just loses a lot of the charm.

Of the images I found this one showcases the problem the best. Link's sister looks round with the textures just painted on to her.

Oddly enough the problem is only REALLY bad during daytime and sunset scenes. Nighttime scenes, and interiors are nowhere near as bad, though not perfect.

Yamauchi

Banned
Watching the Developer Direct, I think the HD version does look really nice. The ocean looks beautiful. I have to agree that the bloom seems overpowering, but generally Nintendo has done a good job.

The bloom is a little overbearing, but as long as it's not more than $39.99, I'll probably bite.

Crazyballs speculation: The game is going to be free for the Wii U Ambassador program.

CrisKre

Watching the Developer Direct, I think the HD version does look really nice. The ocean looks beautiful. I have to agree that the bloom seems overpowering, but generally Nintendo has done a good job.
I actually really enjoyed the bloom in the demo and agree that the setting makes it fitting. Is only heavily used in the Islands, not in interior sections. The sun would be overpowering in these settings.
The skylines in this game are incredible. They nailed the beauty that we all imagined while playing the original without making it something different and maintaining its identity. Orchestrated soundtrack would make it perfect.

Elider

Well, the English version already cut down the triforce hunt from the Japanese version, believe it or not.

Maybe they're just giving the Japanese version the English Triforce hunt?

I have never heard of this before. Please tell me more.

Top Bottom