• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The real reasons Nintendo won't make a Pokemon MMO

RedSwirl

Let's be real here, we can't just chalk up the reasons why we don't have a Pokemon MMO down to "Lol Nintendo." For a few reasons, I've never realistically expected Nintendo to make a Pokemon MMO, or any MMO really.

For starters, the original creator, Tajiri, from what I understand, still enforces a rule on the franchise that prioritizes local multiplayer because he wants players to go outside and meet face to face. This is also the reason you never see a mainline Pokemon for a console. I'm not sure they realize how logistically implausible this is for territories not called Japan, but that's their prerogative on the franchise.

Secondly, do you really trust Nintendo when making an MMO at all? Just look at what happened to Square Enix with Final Fantasy XIV. I don't know how Dragon Quest X is going (or even what kind of MMO it is) but high-profile Japanese MMOs aren't that common. Those two games and Phantasy Star Online 2 are basically the closest we've got, and PSO2 is closer to Diablo than any MMO if it's anything like PSO1.

And just look at how Nintendo is with online games right now. They basically still see it as secondary to local multiplayer, never mind the Wii U's online infrastructure. I don't even think Pikmin 3 or Super Mario 3D World will have online co-op.

At the very least Nintendo would have to outsource the game, and even then they'd probably only let a Japanese MMO company touch it, and that would only be after they let go of their local-multiplayer-first policy. I just don't see Nintendo as an MMO company.

Not

Banned
Nintendo won't ever make an MMO. The people who want this probably think Nintendo and Blizzard have the same philosophy. It's just ignorance at this point

DiscoJer

Aren't there like dozens of knock offs? (Which I always wonder about, did Nintendo forget to trademark Pokemon)

But to a certain extent, I think it's like Monster Hunter. Technically it might work okay online, but in practice, meetups to trade monsters are better.

Also MMORPGs are a huge money sink. It's a question if they really make the money back.

GamerJM

Banned
I have still yet to see a detailed description of how a Pokemon MMO would work down to all of the details. I'm not convinced it would.

gogojira

Games practically built for online play aren't online, so the idea that Nintendo would make any form of MMO at this stage seems crazy.

Wiktor

Propably wouldn't work. Many more casual franchises (maga popular ones) tried that route and failed. MMOs also aren't really popular on consoles. Plus large part of the audience are kids, not likely to be able to play subscriptions.

But really though Nintendo needs to get with the times when it comes to online, they don't need to be unique little snowflakes on every single thing.

Nintendo doesn't have the time to give a couple of hundred employees a years to make one. They're struggling to get simple games developed on the WiiU, a MMO would be a nightmare for them right now.

73V3N

Banned
I thought this thread was about this:

063b4826daad781a733e14nj95.jpg

Korezo

How would a Pokemon mmo work? people group up and have there Pokemon raid battle mewtwo? what would be the loot? Gaining rare Pokemon? they need to make a Pokemon game with online matchmaking for battles while the single player is open world rpg like game boy versions.

1) Nintendo doesn't have much experience making MMOs and is infamous for sticking to what it knows best.

2) Nintendo generally exercises incredible caution with its brands, avoiding situations in which a lack of regulation could tarnish a franchise.

3) With the resources it would take to build a good Pokemon MMO, Nintendo could likely produce several mainline entries and a few spin-offs, which likely makes a lot more sense to them financially.

So...yeah. Can we just drop this idea, now?

Not

Banned
Why wouldn't Nintendo make a Pokemon game like World or Warcraft? After all, Nintendo games are known for their robust and unrestricted online play, and they make makes games for PCs all the time

Seriously, the people who ask for this don't know anything about Nintendo

A pokemon MMO is incompatible with both the Pokemon formula and today's MMO formula. There's no way you could say "Go kill 10 pidgeys and come back and see me for a reward".

Kokonoe

Banned
A Pokemon MMORPG would be bad for both consumers and Nintendo.

Everything would be even more of a grind, and I have trouble thinking of a way Nintendo could make a profit that would keep the servers going.

By the way, have any of you guys heard of PokeMMO? I'm not going to link to it, but a quick google search should find it for ya. Basically it's a Pokemon MMO themed around FireRed for PC. I played around with it a little bit a couple of weeks ago and thought it was pretty terrible.

kirby_fox

Banned
Pokemon games are, in effect, simple.

MMORPGs are, in effect, not as simple.

As Pokemon is targeted at children (see: Pokemon anime on Cartoon Network) the games are going to reflect the ability for children to play.

Considering Nintendo is very very cautious about children in online games, and the use of certain language/topics in general- you can see why it would be a huge money sink in order to keep the online game constantly running the way they want it to.

I also see Nintendo having issues with selling a game in which you would only be able to play it as long as the servers were up and running. I feel as though Nintendo would need to have an offline mode that worked just as well offline, and the online portion would be completely secondary in nature much like the OP mentioned.

On top of all of that, MMORPGS (last I heard from a guy making one) cost a ton of cash and are currently doing poorly in the market.

So basically if Nintendo made one they would make it super wrong, everyone would hate it, it'd be secondary to the main portion of a game, and they'd probably lose a ton of cash on it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I have still yet to see a detailed description of how a Pokemon MMO would work down to all of the details. I'm not convinced it would.

Seriously? At the very least they could do a "wow clone" and it would be incredibly interesting which is something that almost none of the other ones could do.

Structurally would be the same as your basic MMO with the trinity roles - healers, tanks and DPS only your Pokemon would be doing these things instead of your avatar yourself.

This alone would allow a ton of flexibility, similar to a jobs system on the fly where you are switching in between roles and different types of Pokemon in the middle of combat to create a totally unique experience. Obviously PVP would be composed of traditional style Pokemon battles that you get in the single player games but could also take place as team battles in large scale battlegrounds with objectives. And theres a shitload they could do there.

The Pokemon system would also be applicable to PVE content as well. Instances and large scale events involving things like invasions and world bosses and raids what not. And besides actual content you could do some really fascinating stuff with the gigantic world involving specific characters and lore, things Pokemon rarely delves into in general.

It's a shame they don't have the kind of desire nor infrastructure in place to pull something like this off. As massive as Pokemon is they've honestly wasted a lot of the creativity and opportunity with the franchise because they're scared to be ambitious and zero need to rock the boat with the cash cow being as strong as it is.

Darryl

Banned
i just want a Pokemon with co-op play, 2-4 members.

MMOs always turn out shittier then you'd imagine it. i'm still sitting here waiting for my "living, breathing fantasy world" MMO and all the people in the world can't deliver it.

clem84

Gold Member
Always wondered why we never saw a main Pokémon RPG game for consoles. That would be a start. Then they could make an MMO. Seriously though, a Skyrim type Pokémon MMO would be a sure fire hit. Every kid on earth would be playing it. They must at some level realize this.

Camp Lo

Banned
A pokemon MMO is incompatible with both the Pokemon formula and today's MMO formula. There's no way you could say "Go kill 10 pidgeys and come back and see me for a reward".

You really think Nintendo would make a pkmn MMO that was like any other MMO on the market?

Riposte

Those people being A) children with expanded imaginations B) adults with a childish worldview

What these two have in common is that they are not thinking about every other MMO that exists when they think of a Pokemon MMO.

EDIT: Adding the "trinity" to Pokemon? You people... what the hell?

Seriously? At the very least they could do a "wow clone" and it would be incredibly interesting which is something that almost none of the other ones could do.

Structurally would be the same as your basic MMO with the trinity roles - healers, tanks and DPS only your Pokemon would be doing these things instead of your avatar yourself.

This alone would allow a ton of flexibility, similar to a jobs system on the fly where you are switching in between roles and different types of Pokemon in the middle of combat to create a totally unique experience. Obviously PVP would be composed of traditional style Pokemon battles that you get in the single player games but could also take place as team battles in large scale battlegrounds with objectives. And theres a shitload they could do there.

The Pokemon system would also be applicable to PVE content as well. Instances and large scale events involving things like invasions and world bosses and raids what not. And besides actual content you could do some really fascinating stuff with the gigantic world involving specific characters and lore, things Pokemon rarely delves into in general.

It's a shame they don't have the kind of desire nor infrastructure in place to pull something like this off. As massive as Pokemon is they've honestly wasted a lot of the creativity and opportunity with the franchise because they're scared to be ambitious and zero need to rock the boat with the cash cow being as strong as it is.

"Kill 10 pidgeys and come back for a TM"

no thx, pokemon WoW clone would not make sense

KevinRo

They probably heard about that RP server in WoW and pee'd in their pants. Hate you WoW players.

If anything, who cares about the kids? They'll probably pump out more Pokemon games just for kids.

Pokemon MMO would ruin my life.

goldenpp72

The entire rule set and idea of Pokemon would need to be changed to make this work, but it could be really fun. Nintendo won't do it simply because it would undercut their portable market.

Top Bottom