• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't get the reason why Bungie left Microsoft.

treemk

Banned
Microsoft would have left Bungie as a every other year Halo studio until it died. If you can't understand the creative difference between that and Destiny and the ability to do other things after Destiny then lol

ape2man

They wanted creative freedom, the end.
And went to Activision?
smart-move-e665aa3510.jpg

Dane

The reason is that they wanted to move on from Halo, the first game didn't even have a sequel plan, it was decided with Halo 2 to close it with one more game as a trilogy. Microsoft back then didn't give a shit and wanted to force Bungie to work only on Halo so that's why they left.

Then the higher ups pretty much sold out with Activision where Marty tried to warn them about the big mistake they were doing it, needless to say the original Destiny launch was such a failed hype alongside most of 2014 that made 343i look like much better successor back then.

JackMcGunns

So you say that Halo under MS is perfectly fine??
You must be joking, right?
Bungie messed up? Yeah you are joking...ore dont know what you are talking about.
Bungie is fine they are printing money. Halo is down the drain and is costing MS money, thats the truth, cant you handle the truth??

Are you confusing Bungie with Halo? We're talking about Bungie, they decided to leave. I'll emphasize... THEY decided, they are free, it was their decision. MS is flourishing and growing as a game Studio. Right up until the point that Sony purchased them, they weren't in such a great place, sure in hind-sight looking at them become part of Sony is great, but considering all they've done ALL these years since leaving MS is make Destiny and nothing else, doesn't really translate well to their vision. Are you ready for that conversation?

CuNi

And went to Activision?
smart-move-e665aa3510.jpg

Activision gave them money and let them create the game they wanted in contrary to MS that only wanted them to do what 343i does now basically.
And see how it played out for 343i vs Bungie.
One of them is constantly in the Steam top 10, the other one has even less average players than Battlefield 2042 (On steam at least).

kevm3

Maybe they wanted to make a similar game but didn't want to be stuck in the exact same universe with the exact same characters. Maybe the culture that Microsoft imposed wasn't what they wanted to deal with...

Ozzie666

HALO probably became bigger than anyone had thought, so much so it was the Microsoft mascot and flagship title. How much of that revenue did Bungie actually see and much power did they actually have? Because I honestly don't know. And whatever deal they signed with Activision, Bungie maintained the Destiny IP, far as I know. Companies want to own stuff and be paid accordingly for their creations and maintain some control. Not surprising. I am sure Microsoft could have solved the issue with bags of cash.

So Bungie's last Halo title was in 2010, Destiny 4 years later. This was during Mattrick's reign, Kinect push and NFL TV push for the One in 2013. Checks out. Without Bungie Microsoft's console push would be decades behind. Funny they barely need a functioning Halo anymore. If I saw what was happening to historic developer Rare, I'd bail too.

I still don’t get Destiny. The gun mechanics feel horrible, the graphics look horrible, enemy AI is horrible … but Im guessing theres some Halo DNA people enjoy.

Astral Dog

Yeah i see your point, it appears they didn't do much remarkable compared to Halo. creatively speaking

Platinum Games was formed because they wanted to do their own creative thing in the industry separated from Capcom, they struggle sometimes and say what you want of them but they are doing their best releasing games Capcom just wouldn't aprove

Monolithsoft started as a team from Square Enix who felt managment favored too much Final Fantasy and wasn't willing to give other things a chance, so they went to work with other companies.

Igarashi and team just wanted to make more Castlevania for the fans, but Konami wouldn't support them for some reason, then eventually released Bloodstained.

Kojima Productions is obvious

there are others idk but while Bungie hasn't exactly reached the prestige of Halo, their formula was succesful and they are making lots of money though 😋

or Maybe Microsoft just were terrible employers 😳

Last edited:
Top Bottom