• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't get the reason why Bungie left Microsoft.

JackMcGunns

Exactly what I wrote!

which words do you require help with?

He's confused because you said Microsoft, but it was Bungie's decision to leave and become independant. MS could've A: Forced them to stay, as if they were slaves, or B: Let them be free while they keep the Halo IP which is exactly what they did and are perfectly fine. Bungie messed up, they had delusions of grandeur.

clowniest. take. ever.

giphy.gif

From Bungie themselves regarding the Sony deal: "We remain in charge of our destiny. We will continue to independently publish and creatively develop our games. We will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. Our games will continue to be where our community is, wherever they choose to play."

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/50988

Speaking of clowns...

Chicago Fire Love GIF by Wolf Entertainment

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
He's confused because you said Microsoft, but it was Bungie's decision to leave and become independant. MS could've A: Forced them to stay, as if they were slaves, or B: Let them be free while they keep the Halo IP which is exactly what they did and are perfectly fine. Bungie messed up, they had delusions of grandeur.
They messed up?

They just sold for over 3 billion dollars...

I think Sony should make a Halo clone and use Bungie for that. Alternatively, have another Sony team make the game with heavy assistance from Bungie and sell it with Bungie's name on it somewhere to push the hype.

IntentionalPun

I'm sure Jason Jones is happy about that. Don't see how that helps any of the regular employees at all or how getting purchased translates to better games.
I just don't get your point... surely anyone who wanted to could have left Bungie and got a job at 343i after Reach was done. And many did, in fact, do that... IIRC some even never left MS and worked as part of 343i from the beginning.

Those who stayed with Bungie did so because they wanted to... and probably because they'd rather work there than MS lol

Plenty others left both companies to spin off and create their own indie companies too.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
From Bungie themselves regarding the Sony deal: "We remain in charge of our destiny. We will continue to independently publish and creatively develop our games. We will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. Our games will continue to be where our community is, wherever they choose to play."

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/50988

Speaking of clowns...

Chicago Fire Love GIF by Wolf Entertainment

And when the deal got sealed, they're just under PlayStation now. That was just PR to get the deal in like MS did with Bethesda before making a U-turn to all their previous PR.

I just don't get your point... surely anyone who wanted to could have left Bungie and got a job at 343i after Reach was done. And many did, in fact, do that... IIRC some even never left MS and worked as part of 343i from the beginning.

Those who stayed with Bungie did so because they wanted to... and probably because they'd rather work there than MS lol

Plenty others left both companies to spin off and create their own indie companies too.
My point was that Bungie being purchased for 3 billion dollars, as you pointed out, only has a direct financial effect on people who own equity in the company like the founder Jason Jones. For the rest of the staff, it's just another normal work day as usual.

IntentionalPun

My point was that Bungie being purchased for 3 billion dollars, as you pointed out, only has a direct financial effect on people who own equity in the company like the founder Jason Jones. For the rest of the staff, it's just another normal work day as usual.
And somehow this equates to these people "messing up"

That's the part I'm confused about. Who messed up, and how? lol

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If you really believe Destiny 3 or whatever next game Bungie produces will be PlayStation exclusive, you better prepare yourself for massive disappointment.

Did I say they'll make Destiny exclusive? They won't, they're happy with it being on every platform. Other IP's? It depends on what kinda game that is. But Sony has full control over Bungie, they're just smart enough to not push people around, even at ND, SP, Insomniac, and all their other studios. Talent can easily move on outside Bungie and you end up with a shell.

Last edited:
Did I say they'll make Destiny exclusive? They won't, they're happy with it being on every platform. Other IP's? It depends one what kinda game that is. But Sony has full control over Bungie, they're just smart enough to not push people around, even at ND, SP, Insomniac, and all their other studios. Talent can easily move on outside Bungie and you end up with a shell.

I really think its just more up to Bungie. In the end they’ll get to decide how many and what platforms they get to release and develop games for. They could decide they want to develop for xbox and switch or that nintendo is a pain in the ass or xbox isn’t worth it without gamepass or some other reason. Its not like they have some obligation or long allegiance to xbox.

The only 100% guarantees for Bungies future games are Playstation and PC, everything else is 50/50

Last edited:
They wanted creative freedom, the end.
Bungie is the classic runaway bride. They have fear of commitment and felt they were imprisoned by Microsoft to do Halo titles forever while they wanted to do the same thing but slighly different. To their credit they did all they wanted with the franchise, but then were unable to leave it because they did such a good job. It's as if the Gear of War team was sentenced to keep churning them when they wanted to move on.

Seemingly it's Microsoft that never moves on, even setting up new studios to just keep doing the titles that the original studios did in both cases.

There were other mistakes that Microsoft claimed they learned from, like how they relocated Bungie to Redmond (where they were based after the purchase) the idea was for bungie to be part of their corporate culture. Regardless, they moved two years before their final split, but it was heralded as a beginners mistake that Microsoft who immediately set up 343 Industries in... Redmond.

BlackTron

I don't think Bungie delivered hits because they worked for Microsoft. They delivered hits despite it. That's their real voodoo magic.

Bungie pulled off the impossible and then pulled out because they couldn't keep that up forever. I don't think it was easy to work with MS at the time.

gypsygib

They didn't want to be stuck making the same game franchise for eternity then proceeded to make the same game for the past 8 years with far less differences than the changes between Halo sequels.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i mean, thats like saying i dont understand why Kojima left Konami.
Same reason here.

Marty O'Donnell went over this previously but I cannot remember where.

He said the main reason they left was because Bungie wanted to own their IP. He even said Microsoft was one of their top picks to publish Destiny but they ended up going to Activision which Marty obviously regrets doing.

Last edited:
Marty O'Donnell went over this previously but I cannot remember where.

He said the main reason they left was because Bungie wanted to own their IP. He even said Microsoft was one of their top picks to publish Destiny but they ended up going to Activision which Marty obviously regrets doing.
It's too bad Bungie and MS weren't able to work something out. Imagine how much stronger MS would have been during the Xbox One generation with Destiny being exclusive and Bungie being able to directly oversee 343i making Halo.

I cannot fathom the idea people think Destiny, as a series of games, isn't creative gaming mechanics or the art style isn't fucking amazing. What am I reading GAF, you've lost your hive mind. Multiple puns intended.

RAIDS in D1 & D2 are some of the most incredible experiences in FPS gaming ever. Period. It's objectively true, not just subjective conjecture by a fan or hater.

The art was so diverse and executed so well in the games using all the wonderful aspects of game design, development and engine. It is/was a thing of beauty to explore Destiny shared spaces or fireteams in raids, strikes and dungeons. Incredible art brought to life in a game simulation you control. It's the stuff of awe to explore Destiny with friends. Y'all are batshit insane thinking Destiny lacks creativity in terms of art or mechanics.

Last edited:
cannot fathom the idea people think Destiny, as a series of games, isn't creative gaming mechanics or the art style isn't fucking amazing. What am I reading GAF, you've lost your hive mind. Multiple puns intended.

They are bitter as hell, theres a reason Destiny 2 is one of the top most played games on multiple platforms.

And to rag on Destiny 2’s art direction and compare it to Halos? Lol

halo-infinite-game-1068x601.jpg

destiny-2-lightfall-cg-trailer-a.jpg

Halo looks like something aesthetically stuck in the late 90’s early 2000’s

Last edited:
Too bad they signed a deal with old Bobby from Activision. Traded one corporate overload for another.

In the end they got exactly what they wanted, a big pay day, full creative freedom as an independent publisher, with all the resources to continue to grow their games and studio

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
i mean, thats like saying i dont understand why Kojima left Konami.
Same reason here.

MS and Bungie had an amicable separation.

Kojima was barred from working on his own games completion and essentially fired.

These are not the same in the slightest lol.

FMX

What's funny is that Microsoft/Xbox didn't want them this time either. Sony overpaid for them big time. I bet Sony didn't even realize they were competing with themselves while in their minds they were one-upping Microsoft!!!!!

EDMIX

And Destiny was their idea of creativity?

Well Destiny isn't Halo so...

Maybe they wanted to make that and MS wanted them to stay on Halo so they left. They play alike in many areas, but are just too different to pretend all of that should have been a Halo title or something, so I'd say yea, its a creative title to them and creative freedom simply means the freedom for them to create something without limitation, not if you believe its "creative" or not as I think you are confusing what that statement means...

I'm not going to make excuses for OG-360 Microsoft, they sound like pains-in-the-ass to work with. I can also see today's MS purchasing Bungie again with the same deal Sony got it they weren't preoccupied with the ABK deal.

I'm sure Bungie left MS because they felt they had told Halo's story, and MS wanted more. I certainly think the Bungie Halos were far better storytelling than 343, even though 343 is comprised of a lot of ex-Bungie. Frankly I would have gotten the author of the Kilo Five trilogy to write the post-Bungie games, as the K5 novels were incredibly good.

What's funny is that Microsoft/Xbox didn't want them this time either. Sony overpaid for them big time. I bet Sony didn't even realize they were competing with themselves while in their minds they were one-upping Microsoft!!!!!

Yeah, i fully believe microsoft who are currently struggling to put together a decent Halo game after years of trying didn’t want Bungie back.

Last edited:

Yoboman

1) They probably felt they sold themselves way too cheap to MS to start with considering the success of Halo
2) I expect they actually owned Halo or it was some weird co ownership arrangement. MS wanted Halo ownership more than they wanted Bungie
3) They kept making games with MS after they split but it was when MS went full retard they ended the publishing relationship (Kinect, Xbox One).
4) Sony better

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
i think its a good idea if we stop saying that destiny is basically halo, it most definitely isn’t. It’s not even the same genre
Both games are fps.
Both games are Sci fi.
Both games has low gravity jump
Both games have similar ties in some weapon designs.

Destiny is Halo with mmo elements. And it's OK.
They are bitter as hell, theres a reason Destiny 2 is one of the top most played games on multiple platforms.

Why did you only post pictures of Halo in your comparison?

Edit: Halo or Destiny?

R.8fa7635db2880a90bfe7a515862d312b

R.ba6159ccaebecf03d4d9b60cfe86c953

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I’m more of a Destiny fan then halo but I can see the similarities in the way they play. Think I liked the new halo so much because it feels so similar to destiny.

Hope they get to make a non LS game again. Would love to see a halo like game from them now a days. I’ll keep enjoying destiny till then.

kyussman

There is usually only one reason people who run companies make big decisions about their futures.......££££££££.......and the aquisition of more of it.

Dynasty8

As someone who grew up loving Halo, read all the books, beat every iteration of games, and followed the series religiously....I have to say I enjoy Destiny MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more now. Maybe not at launch, but the game is truly special for those who have stuck with it. I can't recommend it to most newcomers though....but man....the lore, the gameplay, the challenges, social features, raids, dungeons, exotics, abilities, subclasses, variety of locations/superb artwork (Dreaming City, Neomuna), the gunplay, the freedom of movement, the awesome build variety, and much more is absolutely phenomenal and unmatched. It does those things so well and continues to get better.

And to answer the question OP, yes it was creative freedom and Destiny 2 is a massive success. Over 41 million registered players.

https://mmo-population.com/list

Last edited:

Dynasty8

I cannot fathom the idea people think Destiny, as a series of games, isn't creative gaming mechanics or the art style isn't fucking amazing. What am I reading GAF, you've lost your hive mind. Multiple puns intended.

RAIDS in D1 & D2 are some of the most incredible experiences in FPS gaming ever. Period. It's objectively true, not just subjective conjecture by a fan or hater.

The art was so diverse and executed so well in the games using all the wonderful aspects of game design, development and engine. It is/was a thing of beauty to explore Destiny shared spaces or fireteams in raids, strikes and dungeons. Incredible art brought to life in a game simulation you control. It's the stuff of awe to explore Destiny with friends. Y'all are batshit insane thinking Destiny lacks creativity in terms of art or mechanics.

This. The claim that Destiny isn't creative or good is such a clueless statement that I just laugh it off.

The game has its drawbacks such as content vaulting and being confusing as hell for new players, but it's legit one of the funnest games out there without a doubt.

No one can name a single FPS game out that offers what Destiny offers with a mix of their unique activities all blended together: raids, dungeons, competitive PvP, strikes/nightfalls, Gambit, campaigns, endgame, loot, unique subclasses...and the list goes on.

For example, I really enjoy the Borderlands franchise...but once I'm done, I'm done. There is no PvP, no endgame worth chasing, no raids to run with my group of friends... Maybe some people prefer that, but I prefer a game evolving and expanding the awesome lore & storylines along with offering an endgame I can keep coming back to.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
MS and Bungie had an amicable separation.

Kojima was barred from working on his own games completion and essentially fired.

These are not the same in the slightest lol.
that means something worse happen that cause BUngie to split with Microsoft then.

So you say that Halo under MS is perfectly fine??
You must be joking, right?
Bungie messed up? Yeah you are joking...ore dont know what you are talking about.
Bungie is fine they are printing money. Halo is down the drain and is costing MS money, thats the truth, cant you handle the truth??

Wildebeest

When people see this, they think they are looking at a Warhammer 40k game, an aesthetic from the 1980s.

Top Bottom