• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xizk

Ep 97 was one of the funniest episodes ever,imo.

Can't wait for the next ep to be released.

And Ace rocks!

Yossarian

Over the past week, I've downloaded the first fifty episodes to watch when I go to Phoenix next week. My happiness for the next two weeks lies in your hands GAF One Piece Lovers. Your constant exultation and acclaim for this series has made me put my happiness on the line. If it sucks, expect to hear from my lawyers.

Actually, I watched the first two eps and enjoyed them, so it is not entirely your fault if I wasted my time on a shitty show, but goddamnit, I will hold you accountable.

Bebpo

Banned
Should there be a seperate thread for the OP manga discussion?

Because it's looking like there will be lots to discuss with the current manga arc ^__^
I guess I'll start out by saying I'm liking the character designs so far in the water seven arc a lot more than anything he's done in a while. (and yeah I'm counting ice guy as part of water seven) Makes me think this will be a long solid arc like Albasta.

Chrono

Banned
Bebpo said:
Should there be a seperate thread for the OP manga discussion?

Because it's looking like there will be lots to discuss with the current manga arc ^__^

I think one thread will be fine. We can keep things seperated by putting the manga discussion in spoiler tags and labeling them "manga." For the anime I think most who come here watch the latest episode so it's not a big deal. ^__^

Dammit-- This thread reminded me that I wanted my username to be Ace. :(

edit: Wasn't there a "report bad post" icon when the board first came back up? is it gone now?

GG-Duo

[Manga]

Hey man,
Skypiea was a good arc too. It was pretty ho-hum when it started, but by the end it was almost as good as Albasta.

I'm very interested in what creative ideas they can keep pumping into this series....
and I'm very interested in what painful death Naruto and Shaman King will have.

Belfast

Didn't Shaman King end? Or was that just the anime? Also I thought my friend told me recently that Yu-Gi-Oh! ended, too.

As far as One Piece goes, I'd love to jump ahead, but I think it'll just last longer through fansubs, and I *want* it to last longer! :)

Not like it won't last long enough, though. There were about a billion islands on the map of the Grand Line and when some like Arabasta have monster-sized story arcs, I can only imagine how long the series is going to be. I have my theories about what it'll come down to in the end, but even with the established characters there is PLENTY yet to be accomplished. This is, of course, not to mention any new characters/plot elements that Oda will likely choose to introduce.

Bebpo

Banned
GG-Duo said:
[Manga]

Hey man,
Skypiea was a good arc too. It was pretty ho-hum when it started, but by the end it was almost as good as Albasta.

I'm very interested in what creative ideas they can keep pumping into this series....
and I'm very interested in what painful death Naruto and Shaman King will have.

[Manga]

Hey I really loved Skypiea myself ^__^;; When I said I think this arc will be long & solid like Alabasta, I just meant that it seems like it could be more tightly focused with a lot of story right away. Whereas Skypiea had some awkward pacing in the early half and it seemed to take a while to get things moving (aka all the chapters with Conis). It was still a great arc, and I'd agree that it was up there with Alabasta quality by the end, but I'm hoping this next arc is even better...and I like people wearing masks :)

Belfast

Hmmm....another question. Where is the manga storywise? Is Skypiea and whatever is coming up after it where the manga is currently in Japan, or are those just the manga translations? Is Skypiea after Arabasta?

Belfast

Never mind, looked through Arlong Park and most of my questions were answered. And once again, I must say, this is going to be one loooooooooonnnnnnnggg series, perhaps even the longest ever if these major arcs are going to last 30-40 episodes each. And yet, it remains so popular. While it goes through dips here and there, it never really loses momentum completely. The only way this is going to end any sooner is if Oda gets tired of doing it, but at this point it may as well be a life-long career. :p

Chrono

Banned
Let's all just pray Oda doesn't get tired of One Piece.. ^__^

edit: dammit I think I edited this post 8 times.. if you read half of them then I'm sorry and no you're not going crazy seeing things!

Belfast

Hopefully. Then again, who knows? Hikaru no Go died much earlier than expected. It definitely could've gone on a lot longer, but its death was so abrupt that it pretty much left everyone dumbfounded. I'm just hoping Oda doesn't suddenly decide he wants to quit one day and then give the series a crappy, rushed ending.

Chrono

Banned
I didn't think Hikaru no Go ended abruptly. I thought it was a good ending actually.

One could say that Sai's leaving was the beginning of a new stage in hikaru's life which could be a whole new saga, starting with a confident and mature hikaru as a pro Go player. But considering Sai's role during the whole show and its emphasis on the relation ship between the two, it was more like of an ending then a new beginning. Man I actually CRIED when Sai left. then cried some more when Hikaru kept looking for him and said he'd stop playing go. :(

Belfast

I agree, Sai leaving did kind of feel like an ending, and I cried a bit, too. But Hikaru was more or less just entering the professional world when it ended. It just could've gone so much farther, having him compete for all the different titles and rising to the top of the Japanese Go world. Beyond that, they could've had him enter the korean/chinese arenas, as they hinted at several times throughout the series. Sai leaving sucked, but I don't feel they ever showed Hikaru reaching his true potential.

Bebpo

Banned
Chrono said:
I didn't think Hikaru no Go ended abruptly. I thought it was a good ending actually.

One could say that Sai's leaving was the beginning of a new stage in hikaru's life which could be a whole new saga, starting with a confident and mature hikaru as a pro Go player. But considering Sai's role during the whole show and its emphasis on the relation ship between the two, it was more like of an ending then a new beginning. Man I actually CRIED when Sai left. then cried some more when Hikaru kept looking for him and said he'd stop playing go. :(

hehe, yea it's rare that a anime/manga affects me emotionally, but
the ep when Sai left
left me in a lot of tears. Especially since you saw it coming for so long yet
Hikaru
didn't.

Though on the topic of the ending, I thought the anime ended better than the manga because it chose a strong satisfying point to end on. The manga ending was good, but it lacked that power.

Oh CRAP. Well, hopefully One Piece gets marketed to hell and back, because apparently 4Kids just announced the licensing of One Piece.

Given Funi's previous announcements of acquiring 4Kids products to turn into uncut DVDs (Shaman King, for example), there is a chance they could do the same for One Piece.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Well, suppose it was inevitable. I shudder at the thought of the English VAs, though. Luffy = Goku?

zarkand

After I found that out, I let out a whole sentence of swearing, Peter Griffin style. The fact they are going to air it on Fox Box adds insult to injury. One Piece is not a Saturday morning cartoon show material.

Edit: I'd be more worried about Luffy being Yugi's VA, and Zoro being Kaiba's.

Xizk

I can't even imagine how Luffy will sound like with a english VA,ugh. The Japanese VA for Luffy is perfect for him.

zarkand said:

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

THIS IS NOT A F*ING KIDS SHOW....WTF ARE THEY THINKING!!!

What's going ot happen is the "censors" are going to force the show to be watered down a lot so that it would be "appropriate" for american children. :(

zarkand

You have to think something wrong with 4Kids with they think One Piece is a Saturday morning cartoon show. The Arlong Arc, that poor part of the show is either going to get skipped, or edited so bad that you don't even know what the hell it is anymore. And its my favorite arc so far. I hate to think what will happen to Luffy vs Crocodile.

av12.jpg
av12.jpg
av12.jpg

zarkand

When dealing with Japanese to American shows you have to add about 4 or 5 years. Even if in Japan One Piece is a kids show, no were near a happy friendly Saturday morning show. At the same time it makes the differences between Japanese and American censorship very apparent. (Yes, I do know that even shows in Japan are censored from the manga or the uncut DVDs.)

zarkand

Fox Box has a rule about showing death or even saying the word die or kill. Blood would even be gone on Toonami.

Shouta

I'd let my kids watch OP if I had kids =p. That said, let's hope the show is on the WB instead of the Foxbox because the dubbing on WB networks (even if it's done by the same studio) is more consistent.

Oh and Eric Stuart = Kaiba = Brock = ownz j00!

Shouta said:
I'd let my kids watch OP if I had kids =p. That said, let's hope the show is on the WB instead of the Foxbox because the dubbing on WB networks (even if it's done by the same studio) is more consistent.

Check the link in this thread. FOXBOX fall Lineup: ONE PIECE, F-Zero, Tokyo Mew Mew

Trevelyon

crying%20baby.gif

I guess OP had a good run, near 100 fansubs eps untainted. I better track down the last 4 episodes before Kaizoku pulls the torrents & strips the bots. :(

Alchemist, Cromartie & OP all licensed within the space of a few weeks, urgh!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ANYBODY but 4Kids. Fucking hell.

Kaizoku better keep going with the translations, goddammit. Because I am NOT watching half-assed translations of HEAVILY edited sugary-sweet One Piece USA.

Belfast

sp0rsk said:
well actually, one piece is a kids show...

Actually, I'd completely debate that. Its a shonen series, which is more focused on the early-late teen crowd. It just doesn't belong in the same realm as Sonic X and Kirby. Those types of cartoons are focused on the preteen crowd in Japan and promoted through CoroCoro usually, not a serial like Shonen Jump. I'd even go so far as to argue that One Piece, compared to other shonen comics, is actually skewed more to an even older demographic considering the age of its characters. IIRC, Usopp is the youngest at 17 (barring Chopper, maybe, because he would be counted in animal years, I think), and some are in their 20s. This is opposed to the average 13-14 year old heroes that you tend to find in shonen comics.

Of course, maybe you had shonen in mind when you said kids show, but this just doesn't belong in the realm of Saturday morning, cut up all to hell. I wonder if there's a way to protest a company licensing something after they have already reportedly done so. Moreover, its going to be on fucking FOX of all things. 4kids already screwed up Shaman King - the voice sucks, the editing sucks, and it just sucks all around. Comparatively, One Piece is a MUCH more important series and it doesn't need to be on the Foxbox. If it was on WB, I wouldn't mind SOOO much. But it needs to be on Cartoon Network and be done by Funi or someone better. Besides the Dragon Ball series, Funi's actually done some decent work lately with Yu Yu Hakusho and Detective Conan.

What I'm worried about is how they would keep it on the air on FOX for it already ~200 episodes. They'll never complete the series on FOX, it would take years, but FOX would cut it off by then.

I am supremelty pissed off about this if its true. :|

Edit: And of course, the potential loss of the fansubs. FUCK.

Belfast

The only thing to do would be to move to manga scanlations. :\

But I love the anime so much. :(

And there's no way I'm dealing with shitty HK subs again.

If K-F stops subbing, it will be another 3 to 4 years before we catch up to where Japan is (ep. 194/195) NOW.

Soul4ger

I can just see it, now. Luffy, standing on top of Arlong Park, talking to Nami...

"YOU ARE... YOU ARE MY FRIEND!!"

Belfast

Bah, K-F keeps deleting threads talking about 4kids licensing One Piece. Maybe they want to pretend the press release never existed in the first place? ;)

Chrono

Banned
Didn't K-F continue subbing One Piece when everybody thought Funimation had it? I freaking hope they do now too. Unless Fox goes after them. :(

Belfast

Yeah, I hope they do, too. Like I said, it seems that they're trying to "deny" the existence of the announcement by excising any mention of it from their forums. And notice that they haven't said a word about it on the main page. I'm sure they'll continue subbing in one form or another, despite the usual taboo against fansubbing licensed anime. Legally, they may be in the wrong, but 4Kids is going to fuck One Piece up so bad, I think K-F has the moral edge on 'em.

zarkand

If you want to talk about the legals of fansubbing it has never be legal in the first place. Japaness company's don't really care about other country's getting anime for free, when it is licensed its that companies problem to stop fansubbing. The moral code of fansubbing only comes in because fansub groups are afraid of getting sued by the companies. I am sure that there are some American companies that don't care about fansubs but there are some that do.

Chrono

Banned
Belfast said:
Yeah, I hope they do, too. Like I said, it seems that they're trying to "deny" the existence of the announcement by excising any mention of it from their forums. And notice that they haven't said a word about it on the main page. I'm sure they'll continue subbing in one form or another, despite the usual taboo against fansubbing licensed anime. Legally, they may be in the wrong, but 4Kids is going to fuck One Piece up so bad, I think K-F has the moral edge on 'em.

Yeah I don't think they'd feel bad about subbing a licensed anime. After all how many of the people watching the K-F One Piece subs will actually wait a year or two to catch up to episode 98 and watch it in its full dubbed and edited glory?

Some will quit the series.. some will read the manga.. I doubt many would turn to 4Kids and buy the Funi DVDs at 4 episode a disk or wait weekly for the dubbed and EDITED episode on saturday mornings..=\. Never mind all of us current One Piece fans can barely add up to 20-30 thousand MAX. K-F is not cutting into Fox's profits and hopefully the suits leave them alone. Sonchou is subbing Full Metal Alchemist, a big show for Funimation. Anime-Kraze is subbing Inuyasha, another big show CURRENTLY being aired on Adult Swim and I don't see them- or sonchou- stopping. prays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom