• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarkand

Orin GA said:
How are they gonna get around the episodes with smoker?
I don't know how 4Kids handles smoking, but other companys change them into toothpicks or edit them out all together. I could see him getting away with one cigar since he is older then the main cast, but, man Smoker is a walking cigar store.

Shouta

I highly doubt it'll even get to 98 episodes here. The only real series to catch on in terms of popularity was Kinnikuman/ultimate Muscle that was shown on Foxbox. Shaman King did terrible (partially because it's a sucky show and had a terrible dub).

zarkand

I assume the whole anime.

Another thing it makes me wonder if 4Kids watched more than 5 eps of it before deciding to put it on FoxBox.

Belfast

Like I said, there's no way they'll air the entire series (or, what has been produced of it so far). If it was on WB, they MIGHT, since they've had to go through all of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! Those are both properties that can easily be promoted in conjunction with games and other merchandise, though. One Piece doesn't have a "collect em all" hook like those two do. The closest Fox has come to being consistent with Saturday morning anime properties is Digimon. Cable is MUCH better suited to running a long-term series like One Piece. I still think it should be on Adult Swim.

Edit: The bigger problem is that this fiasco could completely ruin One Piece's chance for major popularity here. With Shaman King already having bombed outside of SJ US already, OP could suffer the same fate. Sure, OP is a better series than Shaman King, but you can't deny 4Kids had a big hand in sinking that property.

zarkand

I don't think One Piece is suited to Adult Swim. More Toonami then anything else. Blood, and smoking will always be something that is taboo for blocks that are not labeled as being for only adults. When you compare anime air on TV in Japan with its counterpart in the US, it is really a sad state. One that I don't see changing in the near future.

4Kids doesn't help any with their stance that they now whats best for fans. I can just hope that the uncut Yugioh dvds sell well, because that is what 4Kids will be looking at to see if there is a market for uncut dub and sub.

Belfast

With both Inu-Yasha and Detective Conan on Adult Swim, I think OP fits more with that demographic than Toonami. Hell, Detective Conan doesn't even have that much objectionable content in it beyond the blood and death associated with the murders he has to solve.

zarkand

With Detective Conan you have person in a 10 year old's body solving mostly murders. In the first episode you have a beheading. The next episode has a person with a knife in his back in front of school kids. Last Thursday episode a person was impaled through his neck on a wall. Last nights episode a person was shot point blank range in the head. Detective Conan is another show that points out the differences in how the US views anime in general. Some that is suite for older children and above in Japan but is something "adult" here in the US.

Inu-Yasha, I will agree with you on. However it was put on when Adult Swim Action first started because they didn't have enough material for the whole block (even then they still had toonami filler.) Now it is too late. Its become had become very associated with Adult Swim that moving it to Toonami would make them seem like they were advertising for it. Something Cartoon Network does not want.

Belfast

I dunno, I think it would just work better, especially if they want to show it during the week, since Toonami is only on Saturdays now.

I still think it skews towards an older demographic, though. There's a lot of blood, a lot of mature ideas in the storylines, and certain characters (like Smoker and Bon Clay) may be harder to explain in the tamer context of a Toonami broadcast.

zarkand

Ya know what, I keep on trying to think of something to say that would say One Piece belongs on Toonami, but no matter what I think up I keep proving your point. Now I am starting to think that also.

I can see some skepticism guys, but its looking like 4Kids is talking the long haul. They have complete non-asian control over merchandise and television rights (no idea about games). It is very likely we are going to see a long term, Dragonball style push - apparently the money paid means they wouldn't have considered it any other way.

GG-Duo

Crazymoogle said:
I can see some skepticism guys, but its looking like 4Kids is talking the long haul. They have complete non-asian control over merchandise and television rights (no idea about games). It is very likely we are going to see a long term, Dragonball style push - apparently the money paid means they wouldn't have considered it any other way.

Fuck.

They better not screw this up, then.

Belfast

Heh. Its alright, I've thought about it a lot myself. Like someone else in this thread said, when you bring an anime over to the US on television, you pretty much have to add 3-4 years, due to the moral gap between what the Japanese allow on TV and what we allow on TV. The age difference between the demographics that Toonami and Adult Swim target are about the same (a 3-4 year difference), but there IS some crossover. I just think those extra years push One Piece into Adult Swim territory.

Shouta

Yugioh isn't a collect'em all ;p. However, it does have strong market presence because of the things associated with it like the card game which is the basis of its popularity. Pokemon was that way when it was first released but the insane craze tapered off and the show continues to run because of the fact it can draw ratings in really.

OP is going to have a trouble trying to establish itself for that reason. There just isn't a marketability to it like Yugioh, Pokemon, Digimon, or even Utlimate Muscle/Kinnikuman. SK and other properties have been scooted off because of this.

Belfast

What? A CCG isn't collect em all? Of course its not in the Pokemon/Digimon vein, but like you said, it has a certain market presence. Certainly, in the show, there is no drive to "collect all the cards" if that's what you meant, though. Little kids aren't entertained by things without heavy merchandising, though. Its the reason why Transformers and GI Joe were huge successes when WE were young in the 80s. That's why its such a mistake to put it on Saturday morning. :\

When you can't market it based off of merchandise, you need to market it to a crowd old enough to respect and understand the characters and plot.

GG-Duo

It's gonna be "interesting" to see what sort of editing this show is going to suffer.

Don't worry about the death stuff though, nobody ever dies in One Piece.

Shouta

What? A CCG isn't collect em all?

Premise of the show is entirely different and the basis of the CG is a bit different in most regards especially when it's a lot more competitive. Yugioh's card game has a distinctly different following than the Pokemon card game crowd.

And yes, normally a show has to have a fairly strong presence elswhere to succeed in the saturday morning cartoon block but that isn't always true. Jackie Chan Adventures doesn't have any of the marketing power like Pokemon or Yugioh but it's been just as popular. 4kids really needs to hit the same chord as the WB did with Jackie Chan Adventures to get OP going rather than try to compete with Pokemon or Yugioh.

Also, shows that have run quite a long time on either Toonami or Adult Swim already had a strong presence in the demographics already. Bebop, Inu-yasha (based on the sheer fact it's a Takahashi Rumiko series), and DB/Z/GT all had presences before moving over to that network. Which makes me wonder about the success of OP if it started purely on CN. We'll never know now though =p.

bjork

GG-Duo said:
i thought i would never say this - but I hope One Piece becomes REALLY unpopular. with the kiddies, at least.

ahh who am i kidding. they're going to fuck this up and 10 year olds are going to wear hawaiian shirts with like fucking hawkeyes on it with "oriental" text and then i'm gonna stab my eyes out. fuck. :(

Be thankful you don't work in an anime store, then... I'm dreading it already.

"HEY DAWG WARES DA ZORO SHIT?!"

"Zoro's da dood what make's Z's on people with his swords and shit, right?!"

Watch them actually alter it so that he DOES do that... and they'll make Sanji a miexican and call him sanchez or something. :( :(

Belfast

"and they'll make Sanji a miexican and call him sanchez or something."

Sad thing is that I can SEE THIS HAPPENING.

They did it with Wooden-Sword Ryo in Shaman King, making him some kind of weird Latino guy named Rio (as in River).

God, I didn't even think about that, though. They'll fucking change the name of the characters! AGH!

bjork

It's going to be terrible. There's no way they can bring this here, make it "kid-safe", and not totally alter the show into something lousy.

It'll almost be as bad as the dub for Initial D, which is the worst thing ever.

bjork

zarkand said:
I can see them making Sanji's character french for some reason.

Ah crap, now you jinxed it.

"Voulevous, Nami petit" or something...

And he'll have an accent like pepe lepew

MAKE IT STOP...

zarkand

Just think about the Arlong Arc. Knowing 4Kids, they will shorten it down to 2 or 3 episodes and play some crappy ass song during it.

Pachinko

Where is the excessive sobbing emoticon when you need it. Maybe, if nothing else , bluewater in calgary will get to dub this and perhaps I can get a job dubbing over a character.... but it's doubtable. Fox uses the same 3 people to dub all the anime on foxbox and it gets annoying to watch that channel after a couple of shows.

This is unfortunate news, hopefully kaizuki fansubs will continue to do great work regardless of the legality. I mean , hell , it isn't like we would ever have bothered with the show in english regardless.

EDIT-

That's something else. Go through the first 10 episodes of one peice and cut every instance of blood or killing out, use of alcohol and such as well. Then take those 10 episodes and further edit them down until you have only 4 or 5 episodes and force them togethor with a more kid friendly storyline... I'd suspect that the girl who is threatened with death right near the start of the series will be edited out entirely. The most we can hope for is that One peice gets only as edited as the US shonen jump comic compared to the japanese version... but I doubt we'll get that much...

Belfast

*imagines shitty casio MIDI music in the background during Arlong fight*

*cries*

Smoker will probably have the power to control cotton candy or clouds or something. :( :( :(

zarkand

Pachinko said:
Where is the excessive sobbing emoticon when you need it. Maybe, if nothing else , bluewater in calgary will get to dub this and perhaps I can get a job dubbing over a character.... but it's doubtable. Fox uses the same 3 people to dub all the anime on foxbox and it gets annoying to watch that channel after a couple of shows.

This is unfortunate news, hopefully kaizuki fansubs will continue to do great work regardless of the legality. I mean , hell , it isn't like we would ever have bothered with the show in english regardless.
You'll have Dan Green doing 5 different characters in the same voice with Eric Stuart doing half the male cast.

We can only pray, Kaizoku continues to fansub.

What?!

This is a dark, dark day for One Piece fans.

4kids is an evil so vile you must not speak it's name.

Oh no! I just did! *cries*

Chrono

Banned
Belfast said:
Smoker will probably have the power to control cotton candy or clouds or something. :( :( :(

I can actually imagine the cloud thing happening.. :(

heh they'll probably call Devil's Fruit something like ocean's fruit or magic fruit.. =\

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I can tell you one scene for sure that will be edited out of the show:
Nami's breakdown in episode 37. I even know how they are going to edit it. She's gonna plop to the ground, Luffy is going to walk up behind her, and she's going to ask him for help. No breakdown, no hysterics, no screaming, no stabbing.
The best scene in the series reduced to nothingness.

By the way, I can totally see them making Sanji French. He already uses French terms for his special moves, he's chivalrous and a gourmet. 100% chance that Sanji emerges with a French accent. Which honestly wouldn't be a terrible choice if it was done well since it does make some sense, but chances are he would end up sounding like Gambit from the old X-Men cartoon.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Chrono said:
I can actually imagine the cloud thing happening.. :(

heh they'll probably call Devil's Fruit something like ocean's fruit or magic fruit.. =\
Well in the press release they refer to Luffy's Devil Fruit as the "cursed Gum-Gum Fruit." So maybe they are planning on calling it "Cursed Fruit."

Belfast

I hate this feeling. Its just like being completely helpless while watching something you cherish being destroyed before your eyes. :(

I mean, One Piece just deserves so much more than this. :\

I dont know why it bothers you guys. You have access to the versions that matter to you. Who cares what everyone else gets.

zarkand

The arlong arc was my favorite arc so far.
The Nami stapping herself scene, followed by Luffy giving her his hat to wear (which we all know is his treasure that he gets pissed if you damage it) then rounds up the troops for the fight with Arlong. Then the Luffy's fight with Arlong in Nami's room. Luffy just starts smashing up the place after seeing the pen with the bloodstain and Arlong saying that Luffy can not "use" Nami like he can.
If you can't tell the Arlong Arc is my favorite arc.

I dont know why it bothers you guys. You have access to the versions that matter to you. Who cares what everyone else gets.
I not complaining too much about editing. Expect Adult Swim, it will get edited anywhere it goes. Its just that we know what 4Kids does with anime's and they are only now starting to release uncut subs of the shows they have. We don't even know if this will last for very long. If fansub groups stop fansubbing people who want to see the real version of One Piece are screwed.

Belfast

If K-F stops subbing then we *won't* have access to anything. While I think they will continue, they haven't said anything about it yet, either way. Assuming K-F keeps subbing, though, the blow will indeed be lessened. But it still matters because it dilutes the way One Piece is seen by people in general. If it doesn't become popular on FOX, then its all but failed commercially in the US, but if it does become popular, then you've got a whole group of people who have a complete misconception of what the series should be.

Chrono

Banned
Belfast said:
But it still matters because it dilutes the way One Piece is seen by people in general. If it doesn't become popular on FOX, then its all but failed commercially in the US, but if it does become popular, then you've got a whole group of people who have a complete misconception of what the series should be.

heh, as long as K-F subs it, I don't really care if other One Piece fans don't "get it" like it should be. I mean if 4Kids edits the hell out of it and OP still manages to get a fanbase I guess they liked the show in its edited form. They might like it better if they saw it unedited, and they'll probably get that in the DVDs.

Mugen

Banned
by the looks of it... I don't think K-F will stop subbing. *crosses fingers*

but still, you guys from the US are lucky that you get to see animes that are fairly new... mainly from your Cartoon Network. Here in Canada, we don't have Cartoon network, we only have YTV which shows Inuyasha and Pokemon Advanced which is the only decent ones they show. Inuyasha turned out 'fine', it could have been worst. But then again, I don't know if that's from 4Kids since I've never heard of them.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Mugen said:
Inuyasha turned out 'fine', it could have been worst. But then again, I don't know if that's from 4Kids since I've never heard of them.
Viz did Inuyasha.

4Kids = Pokemon

GG-Duo

:( Naruto would've been a better choice.

It's mainstream, its protagonists are young, it has lots of action, it's more DBZ-like, and obnoxious north american anime geeks seem to love it. IMO it's a better fit...

Chrono

Banned
GG-Duo said:
It's mainstream, its protagonists are young, it has lots of action, it's more DBZ-like, and people with no taste seem to love it. IMO it's a better fit...

I like Naruto. According to your logic, I have no taste. I also like One Piece. Does that make any sense to you? I hope not. And Naruto is a lot different then DBZ. It's very easy for me to say this since I HATE dbz. But maybe only DBZ-lovers like naruto in your logic?

:)

Belfast

I like Naruto, but LOVE One Piece. Naruto would've worked better for Foxbox, but if I had my choice, neither would suffer that kind of fate.

Chrono

Banned
dammit K-F are not saying anything about the license. I mean just announce something: will you continue subbing or not? :(

BTW has anybody checked the K-F forums? First thing I saw was a topic on if Mr. 1 is "african-american." Then everybody went on and said Usopp is "Purto Rican." wtf? Isn't One Piece set in a FANTASY world? a world not like ours? I think its pretty damn obvious from the Grand Line and the pirate era.. I hate stuff like that. It's like bringing One Piece down to the real world.. ugh.. =\

zarkand

Chrono said:
dammit K-F are not saying anything about the license. I mean just announce something: will you continue subbing or not? :(
We can only hope it means they are doing their best to ignore this news and go on as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom