• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OZombie - American McGee launches Kickstarter for Wizard of Oz steampunk game

Azuardo

It's not Alice: Otherlands, which will likely still happen down the road, but instead it is OZombie. The game needs $950,000 to get going.

OZombie is a narrative-driven action-adventure game set within an alternate version of the Oz universe created by L. Frank Baum. The game's themes and characters are inspired by Baum’s deeply imaginative books (all 14 of them!) then filtered through the story and art treatment you've seen applied to our other games like Alice: Madness Returns and Akaneiro: Demon Hunters.

OZombie will be first and foremost a single player game. You'll play as Dorothy and be able to persuade many of the captivating fiction’s familiar characters to join your hunting party
OZombie will also support a multiplayer mode, which you can unlock after finishing the single player experience. In multiplayer you'll be able to select from a range of player characters and enjoy competitive features like Raids and Tournaments.

The game will:

Feature a variety of perspectives and game modes with an emphasis on role-playing, tactical combat, exploration and story telling.
Be developed using Unity 3D technology
Be delivered to most platforms Unity3D can target, but initially launch on Linux, Mac, PC (Windows) and latest-gen tablets.
Be localized for play world-wide (EFIGS and more).
Support offline single-player mode, though you'll need to complete a one-time online registration when you first start.
Contain NO form of DRM.

Fight the Scarecrow's demented minions and restore the ruined world of Oz to its former glory.

More info at the Kickstarter page here.

TheWriter

I love the Alice franchise to death but I refuse to support him on other projects while he keeps dangling Alice infront of me like a carrot. Akaneiro was disappointing too. I'm sorry.

Munin

I like that Spicy Horse is making games that you would basically have seen in the late 90s golden age of PC gaming but...Akaneiro seems to have turned out kinda bad and to come out with yet another Kickstarter so quickly seems kinda shameless.

FireVoa

You have requirements to meet McGee... First, it has to be on consoles as well. I'm uninterested in tablet games that don't meet with this next requirement. Second, it has to be single player experience in the same vein as Alice: Madness Returns. If you meet these, then we can talk.

Lime

uhm

3ced2b72321ba2214dfb69a16ec90228_large.jpg

I'm not feeling this design

Lime

I am after seeing how many different designs Dorothy already went through. This is the design that many of the fans following OZombie on Facebook agreed on.

I never really dug the Oz universe, so this game probably didn't have much of a chance at appealing to me anyway.

Dorothy looks excellent. Spicy Horse do female protagonists properly. I wish I had a bunch of money to put on this :/

I love Oz. Especially Disney's Return to Oz.

Hex

Banned
Would back if it were on PS4 and Wii U, will follow the Kickstarter for a bit and see how things progress for now.

thumb

Banned
Just backed. I like the interesting and quirky games that Spicy Horse has been making. And also happy that Dorothy is not some hyper-sexualized vamp, as she likely would be if this were a major AAA title.

Support offline single-player mode, though you'll need to complete a one-time online registration when you first start.
Contain NO form of DRM.

Does not compute....

The project seems very inspiring, but I need to see some gameplay first.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Does not compute....

The project seems very inspiring, but I need to see some gameplay first.

Er, it has an in-game shop and multiplayer? Maybe you register an account for the multi? :p

Edit: Still, how can people be sad that we're getting a game with a "Huge world" (Exploration!) rather than this atrocity:

AliceOtherlandsConceptLoading.jpeg

Toxi

Banned
The zombies part actually seems interesting; using them as a conformity and anti-freedom faction really fits with the idea of zombies and is more creative than what a lot of games are doing. Zombies aren't inherently bad (Dark Souls was about them, and everyone loves that), it's just that few games use them as anything more than mindless enemies.

Steampunk on the other hand... Yuck. I'm not a steampunk fan at all because it's so often superficial, and it really doesn't feel like it works with the setting.

I'm also disappointed that there is so little information about gameplay. This is a video game, not a comic book or a movie. Put information about gameplay in the kickstarter or get out.

Lijik

Er, it has an in-game shop and multiplayer? Maybe you register an account for the multi? :p

Edit: Still, how can people be sad that we're getting a game with a "Huge world" (Exploration!) rather than this atrocity:

Yeah this put me way off the idea of a new alice game.
Hope Oz isnt another overhead game though, this still very well could be

Metalmarc

Always liked Todd Mcfarlanes Twisted World of Oz if we are going a dark gothic/horror route

Warning could be regarded as *NSFW*

Dorothy

image.jpg

Scarecrow

image.jpg

Tin Woodman

image.jpg

Lion

image.jpg

Wizard

image.jpg

Toto

image.jpg

sorry American McGee Todd did them better

It shouldn't be mandatory if one wants to just play the single player offline.
No matter what it is still DRM, you can't sell something as DRM free when it has some, no matter how little.

I'm glad that picture above caused a backlash big enough to convince him to back away from that, but I'm still a bit skeptical.

CamHostage

uhm

3ced2b72321ba2214dfb69a16ec90228_large.jpg

I'm not feeling this design

I agree that I like an innocent Dorothy rather than a kick-ass version of the character (although the idea that wide-eyed discovery is important to this character is kind of a mistake since in the books she goes to Oz like a dozen times and it's only the first book that it's all new and really it's more the movie than anything that has created our image of Dorothy as a meek but bright girl.) That said, if they can get anything near the Alice hair going on that red head, so much would be forgiven.

BTW, I haven't played much of McGee's work, but I feel like I should be backing the project just because they put this art in front of my eyes...

0c916f6c895069bcec35fcb3011a3d23_large.jpg

Always liked Todd Mcfarlanes Twisted World of Oz if we are going a dark gothic/horror route
sorry American McGee Todd did them better

McFarlain's version of Oz is amazing, but it's tied into specific emotional connotations of the characters and of perverse dreams (psycho-sexual nightmares of drugs and fears...) I don't see how those toys could be topped, but anything that approaches the same twisted version of Oz would do best not to try, and I think this team so far has graphical ideas that are still tied into themes of the book but that are approaching them from very different directions and with surreal elements tied less into thematic specifics than just what has been inspired by weirdness.

gabbo

I'm intrigued, but I also will have to wait and see more before jumping into this.
I mean, I was one of the people calling for him to tackle Oz right after AA:Alice came out, but that was over a decade ago.

That Chris Vrenna will do the soundtrack (again) is enticing as far as stretch goals go.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah this put me way off the idea of a new alice game.
Hope Oz isnt another overhead game though, this still very well could be

Thing is, it seems he wants to re-capture the magic in a way, so I doubt it'll be an overhead game. I mean he's pretty much saying "Yeah sorry I really can't do Alice, but this I can do".

I hope it succeeds in being a good game.

CackleAndHide

Neo Member
Looks like they've decided to cancel this one; just got this message:

The Oz campaign has to end. There are two realities driving the decision.

First, we’re facing a challenge with the Alice film rights. Since working to remove it from the Oz campaign we've been unable to launch it as a separate campaign here on Kickstarter – the submission has been rejected multiple times and our appeals have failed (multiple campaigns are not allowed). To launch a campaign for the Alice films rights means we must first shut down the Oz campaign.

Second, we wouldn't consider shutting down the Oz campaign if it were trending towards success. As it is, we've reached 15% of our goal with 20 days left in the campaign. Projections suggest we’ll hit 30% of our goal by campaign end. I've been telling myself to remain optimistic and see this thing through – but when the reality of our funding trend is combined with the pressure of the Alice film rights situation...

For Oz, we can always launch another campaign in the future. On the other hand, the Alice film rights are only within reach during a rapidly closing window of opportunity. We’ll sacrifice Oz today in order to have a real chance with Alice.

For the record, we did also consider (and put work towards) an Alice campaign on IndieGoGo, but decided against this for two main reasons. The first is that we’re concerned about the amount of awareness we can generate on IndieGoGo, since we've never run a campaign there. Here on Kickstarter we have followers (you’re reading this). The other issue is we don’t want to be accused of ‘creating confusion’ or deal with any other negative interpretation that might come out of running two campaigns at the same time.

Ultimately, the route we’re taking is cleaner, faster and would seem to have a higher chance of success.

I sincerely appreciate all of the support and feedback you've provided us via the Oz campaign. It’s been an interesting ride and one that has taught me a multitude of valuable lessons. While we’re ending it early, we’re certainly not walking away empty handed. When Oz makes a return you can expect it to be better and stronger.

Now we turn our attention to Alice. Securing these film rights would be nothing short of a major coup. We’d control a significant portion of Alice’s future. Being able to produce animations, feature films and related merchandise means keeping Alice’s world fresh, no matter what else might happen with the game portion of the property. I hope you’ll join us in making this a reality. If you want to learn more, please visit:

facebook.com/AliceOtherlands

From the End of the Rainbow,

-American

Seems to be a mixture of poor funding and wanting to kickstart buying the rights for the Alice films.

Top Bottom