• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Company Of Heroes 2 Review Thread

Pooya

no links? no nothing?

Q23 review
http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/06/24/company-of-heroes-2-is-a-real-snow-job/

1/5
Although this isn’t a very good RTS, at least there are several ways you can play it. Well, two. The expected multiplayer, and the various permutations of single-player AI whack-a-mole, which include the usual terrible campaign and a handful of options in the theater of war mode. This theater of war mode gives you several missions to represent 1941 on the Eastern Front, including unique commander sticks, much like how Starcraft II lets you play with a whole set of units in the campaign that have zero bearing on the multiplayer and skirmish games. So don’t get too used to those awesome partisans that one commander guys gets. At least not yet. 1942, 1943, 1944, and 1945 will presumably be for sale later on.

What makes this particularly galling is that Company of Heroes 1 holds up so well. I’m still having a grand time playing Company of Heroes. Do Sega and Relic really expect us to pay for a boondoggle this riddled with DLC shaped holes?

skynidas

Banned
IGN: 8.4/10

Viewed side by side, it might be tough to distinguish Company of Heroes 2 from its predecessor. When examined up close, the changes introduced to distinguish warfare on the Eastern Front of World War II from the Western are as problematic as they are interesting. However, that comparison is to one of the finest real-time strategy games ever made, and being mostly as good as that makes this an excellent game on its own. Play the original first (it’s cheap) but Company of Heroes 2 satisfied my appetite for more.

Game Informer (Australia) gave it a 9.25

I'm surprised by these review scores... thought it was pretty much a sure thing.

traveler

Not Wario
That's a much bigger range of scores than I think I've seen for any recent game. This should make for some interesting reading.

Was Chick not a fan of the original CoH's campaign? I thought it was pretty good. Not Wings of Liberty good, but certainly better than the dismissive note he makes towards CoH2's as if it's understood that all RTS campaigns are crap.

TheExodu5

Banned
I played a bit of the beta and saw no reason to get it, as I haven't really played the original all that much and this felt exactly the same.

Sober

MP is a grindfest and they are going to sell commanders via DLC?

Well I guess it's time for a Steam sale. I much liked playing MP for the sake of playing MP back in CoH1 and not to grind it to death for stuff, especially in an RTS.

Relic hasn't made a ambitious game in a long time

Can't blame them much after how polarizing DoW2 was. They made a legitimate effort to mix up the genre and brought something new to the table that a large number of people appreciated but unfortunately I think the consensus was that most people wanted to go back to base building.

Khronico

Read that Chick review. Game doesn't even sound good at all. And yes, I agree with those system requirements. It still looks like COH1 yet runs like a slideshow on my computer, which ran COH1 fine.

Novoitus

Banned
I knew it wouldn't get great reviews. I preorderd and played the closed beta; it just wasn't enough of a leap that a 7 year-apart sequel should make. Also don't really like a lot of the changes they made from the first; most of the changes didn't feel like it made the game better, they just felt like changes.

Novoitus

Banned
Read that Chick review. Game doesn't even sound good at all. And yes, I agree with those system requirements. It still looks like COH1 yet runs like a slideshow on my computer, which ran COH1 fine.

That's weird as hell though. It runs perfectly on my computer(which by now is about 2 years old); high FPS on the highest settings. Maybe you should update your system.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Disappointing reviews. I usually don't take reviews very seriously, but these seem to be on par with everything I've heard about the game so far. Between Animal Crossing and the Civ 5 expansion next month, I don't think this is the kind of game I want to drop $60 on, especially if CoH1 continues to remain active.

That's weird as hell though. It runs perfectly on my computer(which by now is about 2 years old); high FPS on the highest settings. Maybe you should update your system.

I built my PC in 2011 and it runs like dogshit. It did in the alpha, and it does now that the final release is here.

Khronico

Truth be told, I'm running on a low end laptop, so the slideshow performance is to be expected. I was just surprised to see it run THAT bad when coh1 ran fine and looked almost exactly the same.

There are other gafers running dual titans and still not getting a solid 60fps. The game is poorly optimized, I am just glad to run it with a playable framerate on my ancient 2009 build. That doesn't speak to the gameplay though, which I love and would rate a 9/10.

I was really hoping for COH to introduce more new gameplay mechanics, specifically, I wanted to see DOW style melee combat with a game focused on the Pacific theater of WWII. My own wants and preferences aside, I am really digging COH2 and can see spending a ton of time in multiplayer.

I haven't checked stats or anything but it runs good (maybe 60-70 fps) on high on my i5 3470K w/ gtx670 @ 1080. It looks like crap, but runs good. So far my only big problem is the odd mission structure. I feel like it jumps in and out of missions and cutscenes constantly. And the battles feel less epic. Like a bunch of tiny ones that together are supposed to make a big one. So far, it hasn't lived up to its predecessor.

Paches

Really don't like the large number of commanders vs the old doctrines. Choosing "perks" is also something that feels really lame.

There seems to just be a pool of commander abilities, and each commander has a different line up from that pool with a good deal of overlap. The bulletins seem to me to have such a minor effect (such as 3% health or 2% accuracy) they are rather pointless.

zma1013

Honestly my idea of a perfect sequel would be for them to simple re-release CoH1 with only US and Wermact armies and leave everything else out that they added.

antitrop

This has "PC gaming charm" written all over it. Why, oh why is my backlog so huge right now.
Does "PC gaming charm" mean "doesn't fucking work worth shit and I don't even want to play it until they release some patches and driver updates"?

Because it does in this context.

TheD

The Detective
So hang on, this game is bring Titans to their knees?
Fucking hell!
It looks like arse, barely better than COH 1!

So hang on, this game is bring Titans to their knees?
Fucking hell!
It looks like arse, barely better than COH 1!

It actually looks quite a bit better but it's been 5 years so we expected more. It looks as though it's a game targeted to be able to run on a large number of PCs (the original was pretty hardcore on release) but actually it has awful perf.

There seems to just be a pool of commander abilities, and each commander has a different line up from that pool with a good deal of overlap. The bulletins seem to me to have such a minor effect (such as 3% health or 2% accuracy) they are rather pointless.

Yeah I know they have overlap, but that's half the issue. I liked having a small number of highly distinct doctrines, rather than this commander deck building nonsense. I knew enemy doctrines like the back of my hand in CoH1, this is going to make it a nightmare especially if they bring out more later on.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Looks and runs fine for me, game is pretty great but they could deal with re-doing the UI and I don't really like the Commander system.

Sethos

Banned
It's a great game, lots of excellent improvements and the Russians are extremely fun to play.

While the game is very similar to its predecessor, like almost to an expansion degree I have to say; I respect Relic for that. Of course I wanted a major blowout sequel from Relic but let's all be honest; Relic isn't Relic any more. They are but a shadow of their former self and with that in mind, I don't want some average developer shit all over the name of the best RTS in the industry.

So they stuck to the recipe, made safe changes and focused on improving the previous game with the Men of War-type LOS system and weather, which are great additions.

However they get marks down for the performance. It's not unplayable and for a game like this, isn't bother me as much as it would in some other games but when a blizzard hits a hectic game, the only thing dying is your framerate if on Nvidia. However that is the worst-case scenario and in regular games / non winter maps it's not bad.

Another mark down is the UI. That thing is massive and it conveys so little information in all that space. Wish they would do something to make that smaller and somehow work it into a corner to not take up the entire length of the bottom.

Oh and as for that 1/5 review, if people go "Yes, I'll read this and make any sort of decision" deserves to be punched in the face. It's a pathetic review from some bitter hack. Yes, you may dislike a game but 1/5 practically means it's broken.

Although I'd agree with the 7.5-8/10 range. Any core vCoH fans will like it and have fun with it. However it's not a great bastion of innovation or the sequel CoH deserves but it'll do.

FartOfWar

Banned

The game is great (I've only played MP and that's all I intend to do).

whyman

So my present understanding is that they replaced the trees with branchless commander options, many of which will be sold as DLC down the line.

That can't be real, right? Someone fix my understanding.

Its true. But the game is pretty damn awesome.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
There's pretty much a pool of abilities and commanders have 5 of them, not sure if they plan to sell others but all the ones at the moment can be unlocked in-game.

Next to the UI the change to commanders was probably my biggest complaint.

Top Bottom