• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skins Series 7 |OT| Fire, Rise and Pure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
oxf0TIF.jpg

Skins, the iconic and sensational British series that created fans worldwide will be returning for a special one-off final seventh season that focuses on three two-hour long stories for characters from the first two Skins generations.

Channel 4 wrote this (far more elegant) introduction:

The three stories will have distinct titles: 'Skins Pure' (Cassie), 'Skins Rise' (Cook) and 'Skins Fire' (Effy). Lily Loveless (Naomi) and Kat Prescott (Emily) will also appear in guest roles. Written by series creators Bryan Elsley and Jamie Brittain with Jess Brittain, Season 7 goes into new territory; more adult, more uncompromising. Each two part story centres on the characters now in their early twenties, the party's over and they're starting out as young adults, struggling to find a direction and a focus in unforgiving times.

And gracefully provided episode previews:

"Skins Fire" (by Jess Brittain) Effy (Kaya Scodelario),
now aged 21, has a dead end job as a receptionist for a leading London Hedge Fund. But as she stumbles across crucial financial information relating to a troubled deal and embarks on an affair with her wealthy boss, she finds out that she has bitten off more than she can chew. Her flatmate Naomi (Lily Loveless) tries to stop Effy from ruining her life, but Effy cannot be reached; until tragedy strikes.

Skins Fire airs on July 1 and July 8.

"Skins Rise" (by Jamie Brittain) Cook (Jack O'Connell),
now aged 21, has a job delivering drugs to Manchester revellers. When he is asked to help his employer's girlfriend find a house, he finds that he is irresistibly attracted to her which sets off a chain of events leading him into a world of savage revenge and a confrontation with his own teenage past.

Skins Rise airs on July 15 and July 22.

"Skins Pure" (by Bryan Elsley) Cassie (Hannah Murray),
now aged 23, is adrift, alone and invisible in London, trying to make sense of her life. Slowly she realises that someone is following her. Cassie turns towards the unknown. A strange and poignant friendship is carved out of mutual loneliness, but can it survive exposure to the real world?

Skins Pure airs on July 22 and August 5.

As a massive long-term fan of Skins I am really looking forward to seeing this. I loved Cassie from generation one so I'm so glad she's getting the focus for Skins Pure. As for Skins Rise apparently we
finally find out what happened after Cook's final confrontation with Freddie's killer in the finale for series 4
. As for Skins Fire Effy is smoking hot so it will be worth watching just for her. Also for those concerned about the quality of series 7 after series 6 that was because:

Jamie Brittain, who quit the show after series 5, has returned as part of the writing staff.

Jamie Brittain is the writer for Skins Rise and has provided creative support for the other episodes. Now I was promised a flood of Effy images from the end of the series 6 thread so don't let me down GAF. So who's excited for the final series of Skins?

UPDATE 1: Promos/Trailers

Effy's 20-second Promo. Cook's 20-second Promo. Cassie's 20-second Promo.

Effy's one-minute Trailer for Skins Fire.

UPDATE 2: International Viewers

Received a PM about watching the show internationally. Responded to the PM but thought it wise to share the insight here. Try Channel 4's 4od platform. They upload the show online usually a few minutes after the episodes air and (as far as I know) there are no regional restrictions. Enjoy.

The first series was fantastic, and genuinely captured the zeitgeist of youth culture in Britain at the time. Then the writers added more and more unnecessary, ridiculous drama to the show until it was just soul-crushingly bleak to watch.

Do we need a 'more adult, more uncompromising' Skins?

Fucking hell no, for a show about kids/young adults it was dark enough already.

Awesome, got hooked to this show thanks to BBC America (then went and watched the unedited versions).

Will definitely watch. Wish they could have gotten some more of the Gen 1 folks back.

My love for Cassie is totally out of whack.

Cassie is what's good.

Prelithe

Was season 5-6 any good? Loved s1-2, s3-4 was quite depressing but the characters were interesting at least, and watched a bit of s5 but it didn't click at all so didn't bother watching it all.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
Time to answer your questions.

Wait, so are these two parts a piece or are there two weeks between episodes?

It will be Skins Fire "Part 1" then Skins Fire "Part 2" one week later and so on. For some reason Channel 4 lists two episodes debuting on July 22 though I have a feeling that may be a mistake. It should be one week between the episodes.

Was season 5-6 any good? Loved s1-2, s3-4 was quite depressing but the characters were interesting at least, and watched a bit of s5 but it didn't click at all so didn't bother watching it all.

Personally I loved series 5 and 6 just as much as the previous generations. I felt like both were decent television and good Skins episodes. The general critical consensus among the fans though is that series 1 and 2 were the best by a long shot; series 3 and 4 experience a slight decline in quality and then many bailed out from 5 and 6. I think the best thing to do is just watch them for yourself and form your own opinion.

Creatively though series 7 should be a return to form. It's the reason they chose only generation one and two characters and re-united the original core writing staff. They're determined to go out on a high. You can even see from the 20-second promos that the production values for this are a return to what made Skins great to begin with. The outlook is that series 7 should be fantastic.

Glad so many of you are excited for this. :)

EDIT: Updated the OP with the promos and trailers I missed the first time round.

Jubern

I loved the first two seasons, not-so-much the third one. Didn't watched the rest but after reading Cook's episode description I'm definitely going to check out season 4. Maybe 5-6 afterwards, but that's a big maybe.

This sounds pretty good TBH.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
awesome. cook was cool, I always confused him for the invisible dude from misfits for whatever reason.

Will be watching for sure.

MikeMyers

Awesome. I'm a Brit who lives in the US, but I saw the series through Netflix. Will there be a legal way for me to see this?

I got bored of the series around Season 4, but this season looks pretty good.

Maximus.

Can't wait! Effy is beautiful and Cook was awesome. Can't wait to see what they do and what happened after Freddy's death. It sucks not more OG people are back, but I am happy there are none of the 5-6 peeps. I just couldn't click with the newest seasons.

MikeMyers

Can't wait! Effy is beautiful and Cook was awesome. Can't wait to see what they do and what happened after Freddy's death. It sucks not more OG people are back, but I am happy there are none of the 5-6 peeps. I just couldn't click with the newest seasons.

Freddy's death and the open ending of Cook vs that one dude pissed me off! Season 4 just felt all over the place for me.

ThreeSixty

Freddy's death and the open ending of Cook vs that one dude pissed me off! Season 4 just felt all over the place for me.

Same here. They specifically stated they're concluding that storyline with Cook's episode. They said "The events following Cook's confrontation will be revealed" or something to that effect. :)

Epcott

Can Skins get any darker? Apparently so!

The wrist slitting internationally loved drama continues... Minus acknowledgment of Tony's existance.

I can't wait too see fire and rise... I'll be watching all three, but I didn't really like Cassie storyline (from what I can remember).

I don't know if I can take the sadness...

I should probably rewatch gen 1 and 2 over again. For some reason the storylines mix together too much in my head when I try to remember what happened.

Empty

oh, cool, it's going back to original generation characters (plus cook, who is probably the best beyond that). i haven't enjoyed skins in a long time but i like the idea of picking them up later in life. as someone who watched the original series when i was sixteen or so and am now in my early twenties it could hopefully have a toy story - toy story 3 effect. might check it out.

barrbarr

I hate Effy, or rather the focus that she received in the third and fourth series. After the fourth series I was done with the show, however besides the Effy episode I am super excited about this season. I loved Cook, and I always had a major crush on Cassie. Is it too much to ask for a Sid/Cassie reunion?

barrbarr

Her 'insanity' storyline during season 4 was hilariously shit.

Most every storyline with her was pretty bad. Remember the finale for series 3? God that was so stupid, having Freddie, Cook, and JJ carry grandmothers in a race around an island. Just so they could decide who could date Effy. I hated that so much.

I can't wait to watch this. If I believed in guilty pleasures Skins would be one of mine, but since I don't it's just a show I really enjoy.

Most every storyline with her was pretty bad. Remember the finale for series 3? God that was so stupid, having Freddie, Cook, and JJ carry grandmothers in a race around an island. Just so they could decide who could date Effy. I hated that so much.

Let's not forget the end of S4.
the the whole Freddie murder thing, WTF was that!

Oh god, don't remind me. The best parts about Season 3 and 4 were the side characters and stories. The Cook/Freddie/Effy shit was horrible, and both seasons (especially 4, which was awful) suffered from it.

MikeMyers

Season 3 is alright, Season 4 is WTF. I tired watching S5, but it just felt mediocre to me. That's why I'm glad they are wrapping things up.

border

I think I stopped watching somewhere in the 4th season.

Did anyone like Effy? It seemed to me like she was pretty much just a pretty sociopath with a self-destructive side. I never understood when or why we were supposed to feel any sympathy for her, or care about her character.

MikeMyers

I think I stopped watching somewhere in the 4th season.

Did anyone like Effy? It seemed to me like she was pretty much just a pretty sociopath with a self-destructive side. I never understood when or why we were supposed to feel any sympathy for her, or care about her character.

We were supposed to feel sorry for her? I thought she was the "villain" of the show, messing with JJ/Cook/Freddies feelings and trying to corrupt Pandora. Like how Tony in S1 messed with Michelle's feelings and stuff.

border

We were supposed to feel sorry for her? I thought she was the "villain" of the show, messing with JJ/Cook/Freddies feelings and trying to corrupt Pandora. Like how Tony in S1 messed with Michelle's feelings and stuff.

I never thought of her as a "villain". Just an utterly rotten person with no discernible motivation for causing as much pain as she can.

It certainly felt at times like they were at least trying to explain who she was and why she was that way. I'm also uncertain why they'd pick her to be a character to return to in the (presumably) final season.

MikeMyers

I never thought of her as a "villain". Just an utterly rotten person with no discernible motivation for causing as much pain as she can.

It certainly felt at times like they were at least trying to explain who she was and why she was that way. I'm also uncertain why they'd pick her to be a character to return to in the (presumably) final season.

To me, it just felt like in S3 she was just an antagonist-type person on the show, and in S4 just randomly starts to become self-destructive. At least Tony's downfall made a bit more sense with him being hit by the train and losing his memories.

aku:jiki

I'm also uncertain why they'd pick her to be a character to return to in the (presumably) final season.
Because she's iconic for the show even if she's terrible, since she's the only one that's been in four seasons and two "generations". That makes her more recognizable to more people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom