• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata on Wii U third-party support, “more key titles to be announced by them”

Question: " I am afraid Wii U lost its momentum after the launch window period. Nintendo’s first-party software alone may not be sufficient to keep momentum for a platform. I am concerned about recent announcements by some third-party software developers that they will release games for other consoles, but not for Wii U. Please let me know your view."

Iwata: "Admittedly, there are currently a small number of announcements of new games by third-party software developers for Wii U. The attitude of Japanese developers and overseas developers are a bit different, and for overseas developers, some certainly announced that they would not release their key titles for Wii U, but other big publishers have made all of their main titles available for the platform. In this sense, we can say that this is not a universal trend but each software developer has its own thoughts. Naturally, it is desirable that many developers support Wii U and release a lot of games for the platform as soon as possible, and we think there are two things we must do right away.

One is to seamlessly release our first-party titles starting from next month to improve the momentum of Wii U. As third-party software developers do business for their own profits, they tend to avoid investing in a platform with little presence. We would therefore like them to see Wii U as a platform with which they feel they can make profits from an economical perspective. However, if we tried to do nothing but buying our way to create such a good condition for developers, our own business could collapse. Accordingly, we will give more momentum to Wii U through our software. This is one thing we need to do.

To explain the second point, let me show you a slide which shows some examples of Wii U games that had been announced by third-party developers at the time of E3. I am not in a position to discuss the software to be launched by the third-party developers in detail, but there are more key titles to be announced by them. The other important thing is to have a hit from such third-party titles. There were so many games released by third party publishers for Wii U during the launch period, but most of them were converted from other platforms and therefore could not enjoy brisk sales. As a result, some software developers have become pessimistic about Wii U. However, the time will come when some third-party games for Wii U and for other platforms are released at the same time this year. It is important to have given much momentum to Wii U around that period. If the number of consumers who prefer the Wii U version’s unique entertainment value, such as the ability to play games only with the Wii U GamePad (while the rest of the family is watching TV), increases to a certain extent where third-party publishers notice unexpected hit Wii U titles from other publishers and realize this system’s business potential, its momentum will be improved. Even if these publishers did not have any concrete plans to develop Wii U software, they will swiftly change their minds when they see the successful examples from others. By giving sales momentum to Wii U through our first-party software in the short run and seeing success from third-party software within this year, we would like to dramatically change the situation of Wii U next year and beyond. Thank you."

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/130627qa/02.html

Plenty more at the link.

CookTrain

Well, he's not wrong... but there's going to be an awful lot of retail turbulence they'll have to contend with approaching the year's end.

Murrah

Banned
I'm glad Iwata realizes that ports of old games for the launch was a problem. Sonic Racing sold best on Wii U right? Though I guess that might say more about user bases than anything

However I don't really think there's anything coming from third parties that could potentially be a hit outside of Rayman and Sonic. Which is definitely not gonna change the minds, of say, EA

Tripon

I'm glad Iwata realizes that ports of old games for the launch was a problem. Sonic Racing sold best on Wii U right? Though I guess that might say more about user bases than anything

However I don't really think there's anything coming from third parties that could potentially be a hit outside of Rayman and Sonic. Which is definitely not gonna change the minds, of say, EA

Eh, if they released HD versions of Mario Galaxy I & II at launch or even Mario Sunshine HD, I think people would have gone gaga over it. It is what Nintendo does for their handhelds(Mario Advanced 1-4, Mario 64 DS, Zelda OOT 3DS, etc.) and they needed to steal that playbook for the Wii U. Instead, Wind Waker HD is coming out a year too late, and people are divisive on Mario 3DWorld.

Murrah

Banned
Eh, if they released HD versions of Mario Galaxy I & II at launch or even Mario Sunshine HD, I think people would have gone gaga over it. It is what Nintendo does for their handhelds(Mario Advanced 1-4, Mario 64 DS, Zelda OOT 3DS, etc.) and they needed to steal that playbook for the Wii U. Instead, Wind Waker HD is coming out a year too late, and people are divisive on Mario 3DWorld.

Sorry, I meant ports of third party games, most (all?) of which were sequels to games that never had a presence on Nintendo consoles before. Mass Effect 3 being the more egregious

Everytime Nintendo says "We have Third Party Announcements coming soon!" a 3rd party publisher steps up and goes "Here's the announcement: We've axed all Wii U titles"

It'd be best if they just kept quiet about it.

However, the time will come when some third-party games for Wii U and for other platforms are released at the same time this year.

The time will come where third party games are made for the PS4 and Xbone and the Wii-U/PS4/360 won't get much of anything

Yado

This could mean anything, of course there are going to be a few sparse announcements in the future.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Don't expect much. I remember when Iwata was telling investors the would see a turnaround for Western 3rd parties at E3 2012 and it basically amounted to Castlevania, Epic Mickey, and Scribblenauts.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Translation: Activision totally has the CoD: Ghosts port ready and we're still confident that they'll release it at the last second possible.

Iwata: More key titles to be announced by them...
Capcom: We're releasing those NES mega man games you've played a million times on the VC soon.
Iwata: Please understand.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I found this statement interesting:

The attitude of Japanese developers and overseas developers are a bit different, and for overseas developers, some certainly announced that they would not release their key titles for Wii U, but other big publishers have made all of their main titles available for the platform.

My first read is that he is saying that Western developers are more hesitant to develop for the platform. What I find interesting is that in reality Western support is actually better than from Japan, at least at the moment.

Rootbeer

Banned
It's too late Nintendo... unless they are exclusive titles, I'm definitely not buying them. I'd rather buy the PS4 or PC versions.

I'll take more games like LEGO City Undercover, MH3U or ZombiU though. W101 is definitely on my list.

My first read is that he is saying that Western developers are more hesitant to develop for the platform. What I find interesting is that in reality Western support is actually better than from Japan, at least at the moment.

Nintendo has 'partnered' or funded most of their JP 3rd parties on the Wii U, haven't they?

I read it as Western developers dare to step out and said no we are noting doing anything while Japan one just keep quite about not doing anything.

d[-_-]b

Banned

Excellent point what Main titles is he talking about? Capcom (MH3 Port? RE Revalations?) SE (DQX Wii Port?)

This.
So, does he or other educated/well informed fellows here know something that would prove finally that Japan is embracing a high profile Wii U development?

Or is it another naive assertion, fooling us to think that this neverending game of waiting for announcements will never cease?

It's unbelievable how dead the Japanese support is. Wii still had a good amount of smaller scaled Japanese titles and eventually a bigger one like Monster Hunter from time to time. On the WiiU, no one gives a shit.

OmegaFax

Random side note.

Please let me give you a broad overview of the network policy for Nintendo games. There are several ways to make games more interesting by using a network structure. The first and most widely known way is to play video games with people in a distant place. For instance, I can play Mario Kart together with Mr. Miyamoto when he is in a different location. Still, even though you do not need to be in the same place, it does not eliminate the fact that you must play the game at the same time. We have laid emphasis on a service called “Miiverse” since the release of Wii U. Basically, users can pause most games, visit Miiverse and share their impressions or precious scenes from the game in addition to learning how others play the game. Miiverse is also helpful to learn about games before making purchases, and it appears that quite a few people appreciate that other players understand and empathize with their impressions. If the structure of Miiverse is developed more, users will also be able to exchange their play data with others, making it possible to play a game with another person without doing it at the same time.

I kind of took the Miiverse statement (Question 12, Page 3) as an indirect jab against YouTube and "Let's Play" videos.

Otherwise, I think Nintendo's logic is flawed on a few levels when they explain their ... ummm ... network strategy?

So the rest of the execs have a 92%+ rating, and Iwata has a 77% rating? I guess your point is that he needs to be below 50% before he would be fired?

I have no idea how low it needs to go before he would lose his job, but 77% does still mean a majority of the people who have money invested in Nintendo still trust him (for some reason) to do the job he has on the board. Could be 50, could be 66, could be some other arbitrary number and I don't know much better. Japan honor ,etc, etc.
The rantings of the internet don't really mean much compared to the people who actually invested money in the future of the company.

Linkhero1

I'm not sure what to take from this. Is it that Japanese devs are more reluctant to announce their major titles for the Wii U or that they have more in the works that we don't know about yet.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm not sure what to take from this. Is it that Japanese devs are more reluctant to announce their major titles for the Wii U or that they have more in the works that we don't know about yet.

Yeah that is why I thought it was interesting. Who knows. Right now the list of Japanese announced games for the platform is literally 4-5 games. I assume there is more coming for this year,but I've been assuming that for like 6 months :)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I have no idea how low it needs to go before he would lose his job, but 77% does still mean a majority of the people who have money invested in Nintendo still trust him (for some reason) to do the job he has on the board. Could be 50, could be 66, could be some other arbitrary number and I don't know much better. Japan honor ,etc, etc.
The rantings of the internet don't really mean much compared to the people who actually invested money in the future of the company.

Iwata won't lose his job unless Yamauchi demands it. He's still the largest shareholder and likely holds incredible influence over the other shareholders too.

Yado

Random side note.

I kind of took the Miiverse statement (Question 12, Page 3) as an indirect jab against YouTube and "Let's Play" videos.

Otherwise, I think Nintendo's logic is flawed on a few levels when they explain their ... ummm ... network strategy?

"If the structure of Miiverse is developed more, users will also be able to exchange their play data with others, making it possible to play a game with another person without doing it at the same time."

The feel of multiplayer.

TL21xx

Banned

I'm not sure that the handheld port strategy would work for Wii U. The reason those ports have sold well is because they're excellent console games that you can now play on-the-go. The problem with doing that on Wii U is that you're still tethered to the TV, so there's no advantage to playing a straight port on Wii U outside of enhanced resolution.

Nintendo needs to focus on delivering fresh experiences, not porting games we've already played.

Kurtofan

The first year lineup was pretty bad for Wii, but still a lot better than 2013 has been so far for Wii U.

Hum I doubt it.

Saying "so far" is pretty disingenuous since most titles are coming near the end of the year, it looks way better than the Wii at the point. I remember being mostly unimpressed by the Wii game wise at the start.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The first year lineup was pretty bad for Wii, but still a lot better than 2013 has been so far for Wii U.

There's nothing else to say. Right now, the announced third party lineup is even worse than N64 in its years. I'm serious, it's like Wii U doesn't exist at all for Japanese developers.

Top Bottom