• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hell on Wheels - Season 3 - Saturdays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Hell on Wheels tells an epic story of post-Civil War America, focusing on Cullen Bohannon (Anson Mount), a former Confederate soldier, and his dramatic journey west as he struggles to leave his past behind. The show depicts the traveling town known as Hell on Wheels, a dangerous, raucous, lawless melting pot that follows and services the construction of the first transcontinental railroad. Hell on Wheels chronicles this potent turning point in our nation's history and how uncivilized the business of civilization can be.

Season 3 opens in 1867, the third year of building the transcontinental railroad. Racism, greed and murder run rampant as Cullen Bohannon leads Union Pacific against Central Pacific Railroad.

The season will consist of ten one hour episodes, with a two hour premiere scheduled for August 10.

Cast

• Cullen Bohannon is a former soldier still fighting his own personal war.
  • Elam Ferguson is an emancipated slave coming to terms with his newly-acquired freedom.
  • Thomas “Doc” Durant is a greedy entrepreneur taking full advantage of the changing times.

• The Swede has fallen from grace but remains obsessed with bringing Cullen to justice.
  • Eva is a former Indian captive turned whore whose past constantly haunts her.
  • Louise Ellison is a strong-willed reporter for The New York Tribune, dispatched to Hell on Wheels.

• Irish immigrant Sean seeks his fortune in the American west with his brother, Mickey.
  • Irish immigrant Mickey seeks his fortune in the American west with his brother, Sean.
  • Psalms is the walking boss in Hell on Wheels, in addition to being de facto uncle to Elam's baby.

Videos

Raise Hell - Teaser
Saturdays Are Hell - Teaser
Where Season 2 Left Off
A Look At Season 3
Cullen Takes Charge

Promo Photos

padzNvO.jpg

uFmuzMc.jpg

dwliXJq.jpg

rWc4HTK.jpg

Ratings

Season 1:

Episode 1: 4.36 million 1.9 A18-49
Episode 2: 3.84 million 1.5 A18-49
Episode 3: 3.52 million 1.2 A18-49
Episode 4: 3.28 million 1.2 A18-49
Episode 5: 2.70 million 0.8 A18-49
Episode 6: 2.15 million 0.6 A18-49
Episode 7: 2.27 million 0.6 A18-49
Episode 8: 2.51 million 0.7 A18-49
Episode 9: 2.29 million 0.7 A18-49
Episode 10: 2.84 million 0.7 A18-49

Season 2:

Episode 1: 2.45 million 0.6 A18-49
Episode 2: 2.31 million 0.6 A18-49
Episode 3: 2.49 million 0.6 A18-49
Episode 4: 2.47 million 0.6 A18-49
Episode 5: 2.62 million 0.6 A18-49
Episode 6: 2.69 million 0.6 A18-49
Episode 7: 2.32 million 0.5 A18-49
Episode 8: 1.83 million 0.4 A18-49
Episodes 9 & 10: 2.18 million 0.5 A18-49

Season 3:

Episodes 1 & 2: 2.49 million 0.5 A18-49
Episode 3: 1.88 million viewers 0.5 A18-49
Episode 4: 1.99 million viewers 0.3 A18-49
Episode 5: 2.20 million viewers 0.4 A18-49
Episode 6: 2.06 million viewers 0.5 A18-49
Episode 7: 1.98 million viewers 0.4 A18-49
Episode 8: 2.07 million viewers 0.4 A18-49
Episode 9: 2.10 million viewers 0.4 A18-49
Episode10: 2.49 million viewers 0.5 A18-49

I'm blown away this show got to a season 3 lol. Might watch only because it's on Saturday when there's not much else to watch at that time. I mostly just like the scenery though.

x-Lundz-x

I'm blown away this show got to a season 3 lol. Might watch only because it's on Saturday when there's not much else to watch at that time. I mostly just like the scenery though.

I thought it might have been canned too, but this is my my third favorite show on TV besides TWD and GoT. I cannot wait for this to be back. I love the characters and the cinematography is fantastic.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Two hour premiere is tonight!

Big Bad Wolf

After a hard winter, Cullen and Elam travel to New York to secure their positions on the railroad as Durant fights for his legacy from prison.

Eminent Domain

An unexpected roadblock forces Cullen to make a difficult choice as a reporter arrives in Hell on Wheels. Elam struggles with his new boss.

Drazgul

Quality of the show would improve ten-fold if Elam got his head blown off.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I still haven't seen the second season finale, but I know what happens. This show just never made me feel like I had to watch it, might tune in tonight.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Anyone else watch?

I actually thought that it was a pretty good two parter. The show seems to have an actual direction this season and I appreciated the increased focus on the inner workings of the railroad. The writing certainly seems to have improved and it's still as gorgeous as ever.

I liked the sheriff guy they introduced in the second episode and I was disappointed that he was immediately killed off. I thought that he showed a lot of promise as a new character - he was one of the only characters on the show to actually have some chemistry with Elam - and I was looking forward to seeing the two of them interact in what would have hopefully been a non shitty Elam centric storyline for once. Ah well.

I also actually liked the Mormon settler subplot as well. It was one of the more interesting things they've done on the show so far.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it was a good premiere. Gotta say I enjoyed the first half more though when it was just Bohannon and Elam together in New York. I really enjoy the awkward relationship between those two and it was fun to see them in such a different setting.

Redd

I liked the sheriff guy they introduced in the second episode and I was disappointed that he was immediately killed off. I thought that he showed a lot of promise as a new character - he was one of the only characters on the show to actually have some chemistry with Elam - and I was looking forward to seeing the two of them interact in what would have hopefully been a non shitty Elam centric storyline for once. Ah well.

I also actually liked the Mormon settler subplot as well. It was one of the more interesting things they've done on the show so far.

It's a shame. I liked him too, probably would've helped flesh out Elam's character more if he could've stayed longer. Btw.....is the baby really Elam's?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Even though they launched on a Saturday, ratings were "up 2% from the season two premiere delivering 2.5 million viewers and double AMC’s Saturday prime time average and delivering the network’s highest Saturday night rating all year.”

Impressive and might I even say well deserved? :O

Decado

Hope they ramp up the action or something. First two seasons were patchy and slow. I really want to like this show.

ivysaur12

Banned
Even though they launched on a Saturday, ratings were "up 2% from the season two premiere delivering 2.5 million viewers and double AMC’s Saturday prime time average and delivering the network’s highest Saturday night rating all year.”

Impressive and might I even say well deserved? :O

I would be their demo numbers are down, but it's still a huge win for them. Great scheduling decision that worked.

It's not like the put Hell on Wheels on Saturday expecting to get a huge swath of 1849 viewers. But unless it's significantly older skewing, I can't see it doing worse than what The Killing did this season in that particular demo.

not bad. Really wanted Common to work with that sheriff rather him by himself again.

pls don't make the journalist lady be Bohannon's new relationship because its so cliche

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I would bet their demo numbers are down, but it's still a huge win for them. Great scheduling decision that worked.

It's not like they put Hell on Wheels on Saturday expecting to get a huge swath of 1849 viewers. But unless it's significantly older skewing, I can't see it doing worse than what The Killing did this season in that particular demo.

Episodes 1 & 2: 2.494 million viewers, 0.48 A18-49

So yeah, demo numbers are down a bit but not by a whole lot. I'd imagine that AMC must be very pleased.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Episode 3: 1.883 million viewers, 0.48 A18-49

For reference:

Episodes 1 & 2: 2.494 million viewers, 0.48 A18-49

So, despite a decent sized drop in total viewers (a new series low, actually), the demo numbers remain unchanged. Very impressive.

They seem to be doing a decent job of going in a new direction considering that last season's finale felt like a series finale. I'm still watching.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was another pretty good episode. They're doing a good job of giving Bohannon and Elam something relatively interesting to do each episode.

What's the prostitute dying of?

Prostitute fever or somesuch. I think they just said it was a "whore disease".

Tokubetsu

That was another pretty good episode. They're doing a good job of giving Bohannon and Elam something relatively interesting to do each episode.

Prostitute fever or somesuch. I think they just said it was a "whore disease".

Yea, i wanted to look it up see what the real thing is etc.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
So do you guys think the swede is gonna end up killing that family he's traveling with or are they seriously going to go for some kinda faith/forgiveness story line?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So do you guys think the swede is gonna end up killing that family he's traveling with or are they seriously going to go for some kinda faith/forgiveness story line?

I think he's going to kill the man and woman, steal the man's identity, and make both of their deaths look like an accident so the little boy will go along with him, posing as his son, with the intent to gain influence within the Mormon community. For reasons.

The Swede is batshit crazy and I doubt the writers would try and redeem him.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think he's going to kill the man and woman, steal the man's identity, and make both of their deaths look like an accident so the little boy will go along with him, posing as his son, with the intent to gain influence within the Mormon community. For reasons.

The Swede is batshit crazy and I doubt the writers would try and redeem him.

So yeah. He killed the man and woman, but apparently just let the boy get away. Not sure if he's going to take the dude's identity or where they're going with this.

Also, what the hell Bohannon?! :( You don't shoot horses, you nurse them back to health and give them lots of hugs and kisses! :(

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
So yeah. He killed the man and woman, but apparently just let the boy get away. Not sure if he's going to take the dude's identity or where they're going with this.

Yup you called it pretty close. In the preview of the next episode
was that the boy coming at Bohannon with a knife?
If so I guess that will be our set up for the Bohannon and Swede reunion down the line.

Lol at some wishing Elam would die. sorry but black ain't dying that easily, deal with it. You'd think the reformed slave owner and confed greyback storyline would be enough to please these viewers. Anyways this show is good, but I fear it might get cancelled, AMC expects Walking Dead and Mad Men sized hits now.

This season is so boring, it doesn't seem to go anywhere. Seven episodes in and basically nothing ground-breaking happened (I still have to see Cholera though).
Also why did they keep the Swede alive LOL?
And the new female character is simply useless.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Anyways this show is good, but I fear it might get cancelled, AMC expects Walking Dead and Mad Men sized hits now.

It will most likely be renewed for a fourth season. It's doing pretty well on Saturdays, plus AMC is ending Breaking Bad in two weeks and they just cancelled The Killing. And on top of that, Low Winter Sun isn't doing well at all and will most likely be cancelled. Oh yeah, and Mad Men is ending next Spring.

They do have a bunch of new shows premiering next year, but I just don't see them cancelling almost all of their existing shows in the span of a few weeks.

Also why did they keep the Swede alive LOL?

I guess because the writers view him as the series' main antagonist. Personally, I kind of wish he had been killed at the end of season 2. He hasn't really had anything interesting to do this season - he's had very little screen time compared to the other characters - and unless the Mormon fort storyline ends up becoming central to season 4, I don't really see why they bothered keeping him alive.

LowerLevel

And on top of that, Low Winter Sun isn't doing well at all and will most likely be cancelled.

A shame too as I kinda like the show. It's not great by any stretch, but watchable IMO. For me, most TV is boring and AMC has filled the void somewhat. Seems all media for me is going down the crapper lately for me... Curious to see how
Elam handles the baby Rose being gone now too

kinda confuse about the kid then I remembered that's the Mormon kid.

EDIT: wait the cancelled the Killing...again.

or it will just get resurrected again

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Whoa, I didn't expect Mickey to kill Sean. That's a crazy development.

Hell on Wheels can do small, intimate moments fairly well, but I think it completely fails in the "broad strokes" area. The season long arcs have almost never been satisfying and the season to season arcs are even worse. Now that I reflect back on it, it's apparent just how inconsistent Sean's arc was over the past three seasons - he ran a picture show, he sold plots of land, he killed a butcher, he fell in love with Ruth for some reason, he became the accountant for Bohannon but was secretly working for Durant, he helps hide the body of a man who was killed, and then he dies because the writers needed a shocking death near the end of the season. Like, he was basically whatever kind of character the writers needed him to be at any given moment, with no clear throughline of his own.

B.K.

Did the show ever get good? I watched the first season and wanted to like it, but it just wasn't very good. I watched the season two premiere, but dropped the show after that. It was more of the same. It didn't seem to be any better.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Did the show ever get good? I watched the first season and wanted to like it, but it just wasn't very good. I watched the season two premiere, but dropped the show after that. It was more of the same. It didn't seem to be any better.

Season 2 was an improvement over season 1 and season 3 is an improvement over season 2, so far. Did it ever 'get good'? Mmm. Good is such a relative term, isn't it? ;)

I think the show is sort of fun, and TV westerns are so rare these days, that I make an effort to watch it every week. But if you dropped the show after season 1, then, for you, the answer is probably no.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Some interesting shots this week, especially the scene where the camera followed the riders chasing after Bohannon. Probably the best camera work the series has seen yet.

There was also a batter balance of drama and comedy this week, with a lot of the lighter moments landing better than in any previous episode.

Anyway, pretty good stuff. I really enjoyed the shootout towards the end of the episode and I look forward to the Bohannon/Swede showdown next week. Hopefully it'll make the Swede's spread-too-thin storyline this season worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom