• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official UFC 55: Fury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogie

Well, this event has snuck up on me. Probably because it has no hype whatsoever.

Ah well, I'll be watching anyway. And with the current internet media ban by the UFC, this will probably be the most comprehensive preview of the event that you'll be able to find. Now that's a frightening thought.

Anyhow, here goes:

Ron Faircloth (18-10) vs. Alessio Sakara (7-3)

Don't know anything about Faircloth, and his record is filled with similar nobodies except for a TKO loss to Gan McGee early in his career. Likewise, I've never heard of Sakara either, and his record is similarly bland. Toin coss says Sakara by TKO.

Brandon Lee Hinkle (11-6) vs. Sean Gannon (1-0, amateur record 4-1)

Sean Gannon is an internet celebrity due to his beatdown of fellow internet celebrity and backyard boxer Kimbo "Bread" Slice. (GAF thread here: http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=23592)

He's a Boston police officer, Golden Gloves boxing champion, NAGA grappling champion, and a judo champion. But let's be real, he's in the UFC because of his internet fame in beating Kimbo.

I've never heard of Hinkle, but he has a win over UFC middleweight Jorge Rivera, and Travis Fulton. Gotta go with Gannon on this one.

Keigo Kunihara (3-1) vs. Marcio "Pe de Pano" Cruz (0-0)

Never heard of Kunihara. Pe de Pano is a Brazilian Jiu-jitsu world champion (I think, it's hard to find the Mundials records, so my info is sketchy). I have no idea how Cruz's striking skills are, but against this calibre of competition, I'm guessing it won't matter. Cruz by submission.

Joe Riggs (22-6) vs. Chris Lytle (18-11-5)

First thing: How the HELL did Joe Riggs make 170lbs?! This is a guy who used to weigh nearly 300 lbs and looked like a HUGE Middleweight. And now he's fighting at Welterweight? Unbelievable. Did he chop off a leg or something?

I've got to wonder if cutting that much weight won't affect him in the fight. But assuming that he's handled it well, I have to think that Riggs is the favourite in this fight. Lytle has solid boxing skills for MMA, but Riggs is generally agreed to be a devastating striker. And I think his wrestling is good enough to keep things standing. Lytle has good jiu-jitsu skills, but I don't think he's good enough to catch Riggs.

Riggs by KO.

Dennis Hallman (33-10-2) vs. Jorge Rivera (11-4)

Hallman is tremendously experienced, with an amazing 26 wins by submission, including two over Matt Hughes. Rivera has shown a tendancy to be susceptible to submission, being easily caught in a triangle by Lee Murray and arm barred by Rich Franklin. I think Hallman's sub skills will carry the day here and get him the win.

Chael Sonnen (13-6-1) vs. Renato "Babalu" Sobral (25-5)

Babalu is on an 8-fight win streak, not having lost a fight since being KO's by Chuck Liddell in 2002. Sonnen is a solid Team Quest fighter, but I don't see anything that makes me believe that he can handle Babalu.

Babalu by sub.

Forrest Griffin (11-2) vs. Elvis Sinosic (6-7-2)

Forrest returns! But, unfortunately, against lackluster competition. Elvis is probably better than his losing record indicates, as most of his losses have come to top competition. Forrest was supposed to fight Britain's Ian Freeman, which would have been a much better matchup, but Freeman got injured in a horseriding accident that has retired him.

Forrest by TKO.

UFC Heavyweight Championship Bout:

Andrei Arlovski vs. Paul Buentello (18-7)

Arlovski's record and reign as UFC champion gets padded a little more tonight. Okay, that's a little unfair. Buentello is a good fighter, and he probably even deserves this shot for the title. But I just don't think he stands much of a chance against Arlovski.

Arlovski is devastating. He's a physical beast, one of the most athletically gifted fighters in MMA today. His striking is sharp as hell, and very well-rounded, as he makes more effective use of combinations and kicks than almost anyone in the UFC. And his ground skills are dangerous as well.

Buentello didn't look very well in his last outing, a win against Kevin Jordan. I hope he's in better shape tonight against Arlovski, but it just might not matter.

I just don't think that there's anyone in the UFC on Arlovski's level unless Frank Mir comes back. Arlovski by KO.

dem

UFC has had quite a few good cards lately... but this is not one of them.

Quite frankly i was anticipating the crow/tanner fight more than anything on this card... and that was free on spiketv! =P

Boogie

dem said:
UFC has had quite a few good cards lately... but this is not one of them.

Quite frankly i was anticipating the crow/tanner fight more than anything on this card... and that was free on spiketv! =P

Gotta agree with that one. Actually, crow/tanner was originally going to be on the UFC 55 card, but then they switched it to make it the main event of the Spike card.

dem

Bumpity bump bump

Please... for the love of god.. get Arlovski into Pride or get someone good in to fight him.

That fight was... short. :lol
Is there time to get him onto the ufc 56 card? :D

Boogie

dem said:
Bumpity bump bump

Please... for the love of god.. get Arlovski into Pride or get someone good in to fight him.

That fight was... short. :lol
Is there time to get him onto the ufc 56 card? :D

I've seen quick knockouts before, but that was ridiculous! I had no idea what happened until the replays. Ah well, can't knock Arlovski for getting the job done with one punch.

I'd like to see him stick around the UFC heavyweight division for at least a little while in the hopes that Mir returns at some point and he can fight him.

But yeah, the UFC heavyweight division sucks.

That Babalu fight was crazy. Sonnen getting caught in a heel hook and unleashing a blood-curdling scream, but not tapping was brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom