• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 207 Rondo Rousey vs Amanda Nunes |OT| No Love & NO MORE QUESTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well striking wasn't her problem in that fight. Her fighting a striker focused MMA fighter was in her comeback after suffering an embarrassing and devastating KO against another striker focused MMA fighter. It's like somebody who got exposed their weakness was kryptonite and throwing them back in the ring with somebody who has 10x more kryptonite without even learning how to deal with it. It's stupid matchmaking. And as a boxing fan, you should know somebody who's never been knocked out but finally does, you don't throw them back in the ring against another puncher.

Totally agree. Nunes has great Jits though. If it was a grappling match I'm pretty sure Rousey would've got subbed. Nunes was just flatout stronger than her too. She shook Rousey off like a child when she tried to take her down where in the past those takedown attempts by Rousey were pretty effective due to here strength advantage. Her last 2 fights were against fighters just as strong if not stronger than her. She has always had the size advantage until then.

The Beard

He could have defended the FW belt instead of doing a money-grab 'super fight' with Nick Diaz. Dude had no business in the WW division when he was the FW champ.

edit: Nate, whatever.

Remember, he was supposed to be fighting RDJ for WW title but RDJ got injured 2 weeks before the fight and that's how we got Diaz vs. McGregor on that card. At that point I think he was already done with the FW division. Those weight cuts just weren't healthy for him. I respect the hell out of Conor for going right after a rematch with Diaz after that loss. Diaz isn't a world beater but his length, cardio, and chin make him a really tough matchup for Conor. Most fighters aren't jumping right back in against a bad matchup like that.

I really want to see Conor vs Khabib now. That O has to go.

Totally agree. Nunes has great Jits though. If it was a grappling match I'm pretty sure Rousey would've got subbed. Nunes was just flatout stronger than her too. She shook Rousey off like a child when she tried to take her down where in the past those takedown attempts by Rousey were pretty effective due to here strength advantage. Her last 2 fights were against fighters just as strong if not stronger than her. She has always had the size advantage until then.

All the more reason she shouldn't have been fighting Nunes in her comeback fight. What the fuck were they thinking?

The Beard

I don't know about that. Nunes hasn't been very impressive on the ground from what I've seen. I think a fully conscious Ronda could've had a chance on the ground. The problem with Ronda's "attempts" at "clinching" were she was already stunned as fuck and only half conscious. Paige Van Zant could've swatted away those attempts.

The Diaz Bros are a pretty known quantity even among casual mma fans. The fight against Nick was GSP's biggest drawing fight iirc (if you don't count 100). A lot of people love those two fuckers and the moment Nate/Conor was announced the hype went through the roof.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Was listening to KenFlo's podcast or whatever, and he said he got word that Ronda didn't even do any sparring sessions, coming into 207.

What.The. Fuck.

That's so absurd I don't want to believe.

I don't know about that. Nunes hasn't been very impressive on the ground from what I've seen. I think a fully conscious Ronda could've had a chance on the ground. The problem with Ronda's "attempts" at "clinching" were she was already stunned as fuck and only half conscious. Paige Van Zant could've swatted away those attempts.

What you saw was Nunes gassing in the 2nd and 3rd rounds it was her only weakness as a fighter and pretty much contributed to every single one of her losses except her first fight. As for Ronda clinching she did have one good attempt and Nunes threw her aside and continued hitting Ronda in the face. I also noticed Nunes had zero respect for Ronda's standup or her ground game because she wasn't guarding for a take down and her hands were down the entire fight.

Nunes has been tooled on the ground by lesser grapplers than Rousey. For instance, she spent most of the fight on her back against Cat Zigano.

Rousey isn't a sport judo player whose game is focused on getting throws and quick ground points. Her judo game has always been way more ground-oriented than sport judo is. Her mom taught her the ground game well and she's been doing submission grappling forever. If it went to the ground, she would've had the advantage against Nunes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As someone who doesn't know much about UFC, does this basically mean Rousey's career as an athlete and public figure is basically over?

As someone who doesn't know much about UFC, does this basically mean Rousey's career as an athlete and public figure is basically over?

it's up to her. If she wanted to continue fighting, I'm sure the UFC would oblige. And even if they didn't, Im sure Bellator would have no problem writing her a blank check, but with where she is in terms of age, skill set and athleticism I just don't see her being at that elite level again.

As far as her public persona, so much of that was tied into being this unstoppable, dominant woman, and that is dead. That perception masked the fact that she can come across as surly, thin skinned, petty and lacking in charisma and likability. Those TV/movie opportunities have probably gone up in smoke, and, lacking some kind of miracle career revitalization where she turns herself into a likeable underdog, I think we've probably heard the last of Ronda Rousey as a huge pop culture figure.

You were embarassing with that shit, come on.

I remember being a big Rousey doubter in those threads and people like you calling me casual or ignorant. Sad.

Just finally came back here.

The fun part is while a couple randoms try to call me out on GAF for having fun and being caught up with the "hype" (which was a blast I'll never deny it. I hope the UFC feeds me the next hype train ASAP). I'll continue to be around the actual fighters :)

BadAss2961

What do you mean he ducked him? Before 205?
here

He didn't rule out the fight. He said he wanted to see Khabib more active to consider the fight.
He pretty much did rule out the fight for now by adding stipulations. "He's fought once in 8 years" Umm, what? I get what he was trying to say, but it's just not plausible at the moment... The guy's 24-0, fought twice in 2016. Threw shade at Conor and all of Ireland. It's the #1 fight fans want to see him take right now. Khabib was relevant enough for Conor to confront at the weigh-ins, so for him to turn around and demand "more activity" the next night is obvious ducking.

Should've just said he'll see how things look when he comes back from his break. Instead it's 'I won't fight this guy because reasons.' Dude was like, Khabib? ehhhhhhhhhhh, I dunno. lol

He pretty much did rule out the fight for now by adding stipulations. "He's fought once in 8 years" Umm, what? I get what he was trying to say, but it's just not plausible at the moment... The guy's 24-0, fought twice in 2016. Threw shade at Conor and all of Ireland. It's the #1 fight fans want to see him take right now. Khabib was relevant enough for Conor to confront at the weigh-ins, so for him to turn around and demand "more activity" the next night is obvious ducking.

Should've just said he'll see how things look when he comes back from his break. Instead it's 'I won't fight this guy because reasons.' Dude was like, Khabib? ehhhhhhhhhhh, I dunno. lol

To be fair, per Dana White, Khabib is actually the fight McGregor is specifically requesting on his return.

ElyrionX

it's up to her. If she wanted to continue fighting, I'm sure the UFC would oblige. And even if they didn't, Im sure Bellator would have no problem writing her a blank check, but with where she is in terms of age, skill set and athleticism I just don't see her being at that elite level again.

As far as her public persona, so much of that was tied into being this unstoppable, dominant woman, and that is dead. That perception masked the fact that she can come across as surly, thin skinned, petty and lacking in charisma and likability. Those TV/movie opportunities have probably gone up in smoke, and, lacking some kind of miracle career revitalization where she turns herself into a likeable underdog, I think we've probably heard the last of Ronda Rousey as a huge pop culture figure.

I have no idea why she appeared in so many movies. She's hardly attractive looking and has absolutely zero charisma. It was auch a chore watching her scenes.

Aiii

So not worth it
I have no idea why she appeared in so many movies. She's hardly attractive looking and has absolutely zero charisma. It was auch a chore watching her scenes.

More importantly, she can't act for shit. Like not even a little bit.

This is also why she can't go to pro-wrestling anymore. Had she still been a dominant force, she could have been the female Brock Lesnar, but that image is ruined. Could have saved herself by being a shit-talker, but nope, can't do that either. She'll get laughed out of the building if she does that ridiculous mean-look face she does on her walk-out.

Quite frankly, I hope she's good at investing, because that UFC money is gonna have to last a long time.

SteveWD40

Pretty much, even Sonnen pointed this out, that after she lost to Holm two of her in development movies were canned (the Roadhouse remake for one). After this no studio exec is going to give her the time of day, when you factor in her shocking acting (even Carrano wasn't toooo bad in Haywire and Deadpool).

Good thing her favorite pastime is playing WoW with Travis Browne, cos that's only a sub cost and some Cheetos, she can sustain that for decades on what she already made.

Chumley

Banned
To be fair, per Dana White, Khabib is actually the fight McGregor is specifically requesting on his return.

And after he beats him people like SwipeLeft will come up with some new bullshit excuse as to how Conor is coddled and not a real fighter or whatever. It never ends.

The Beard

here

Oh yeah, I remember that. You call that ducking? Lol

I think if the Ferguson fight happens (hopefully it will) and Khabib wins, then a fight vs Conor is very likely to happen this year. After watching MJ rock Khabib with his sloppy striking, and seeing Kabib's shit stand-up, there's no way Conor is afraid to face him.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Man. It's crazy how quickly it all just evaporated for her.

thefro

More importantly, she can't act for shit. Like not even a little bit.

This is also why she can't go to pro-wrestling anymore. Had she still been a dominant force, she could have been the female Brock Lesnar, but that image is ruined. Could have saved herself by being a shit-talker, but nope, can't do that either. She'll get laughed out of the building if she does that ridiculous mean-look face she does on her walk-out.

WWE would still take her but she's not going to get megabucks for one appearance/match anymore.

They rebuilt Lesnar into a monster after he looked awful in his last couple UFC fights of his first UFC run. Heck, Lesnar probably looked worse since he just turtled up, Rousey at least didn't seem scared to get hit.

I like that people want a guy that has a 9 fight win streak and a guy with a 24 fight win streak(unbeaten) to prove themselves in a fight against each other(aka knock off a contender that Conor doesn't intend to fight anyhow) while Oprah has Conor looking under his seat for title shots.

Truly amazing.

Ithil

That punch before the Stockton Slap he received stunned him which is what I meant when I said he got caught. He was dazed and took a nice slap on top of that. Yeah he was tired also but he definitely got caught which lead to that slap afterwards.

That punch led to the submission, but he was already losing before that because he was low on energy while Nate was fresh (albeit bleeding as per Diaz tradition).

The difference in Conor's strategy in the second fight is what led him to win, that was my point, Conor didn't leave for a year and sulk, he went back with a rematch and learned from his loss. He's bigger right now than ever, despite having a loss during his hot run, so a loss is not the end of the world and the Holm loss shouldn't have been for Rousey, but it appears she has let it be exactly that.

I know they're the two biggest stars in recent memory, but I don't like putting Conor and Rousey in the same "all hype" boat. Conor is not the greatest fighter in history, but he's legitimately damn good and a far better fighter than Rousey.

Aiii

So not worth it
WWE would still take her but she's not going to get megabucks for one appearance/match anymore.

They rebuilt Lesnar into a monster after he looked awful in his last couple UFC fights of his first UFC run. Heck, Lesnar probably looked worse since he just turtled up, Rousey at least didn't seem scared to get hit.

Lesnar had two things going for him. For one, he was a popular wrestling the company before. But mostly, he had his illness to fall back on as an excuse.

And even then, despite looking awful, I never perceived Brock's losses to be nearly as devastating as these two last fights from Ronda. I mean, she looked almost as bad as CM Punk did in his fight... And I say this in earnest.

Brock is also literally a monster. It's easy to book monsters. Ronda is smaller than Charlotte Flair.

How in the hell do book someone with average size and athleticism, no personality to speak of and zero actual wrestling experience?

y2dvd

I like that people want a guy that has a 9 fight win streak and a guy with a 24 fight win streak(unbeaten) to prove themselves in a fight against each other(aka knock off a contender that Conor doesn't intend to fight anyhow) while Oprah has Conor looking under his seat for title shots.

Truly amazing.

Connor said he was taking a long break (that may change now). So the next two contenders can either have a long wait for his return or fight it out for now. Say it's the rumored 10 months of leave. One guy waits 10 months, the other 13-15 months. Does that makes sense to you?

And after he beats him people like SwipeLeft will come up with some new bullshit excuse as to how Conor is coddled and not a real fighter or whatever. It never ends.

If Conor even agrees to fight him I will be happy and won't make any excuse. But up until that happens he can continue to be coddled.

kiguel182

Brock had diverculitus to use as an excuse for his losses. What's Rouseys excuse? It's not comparable at all.

And Lesnar was a former pro wrestler who knew how to wrestle already, Ronda would have to start from scratch.

i like how conor taking a small break after 4 fights in 2016 is somehow dodging people.

dude wanted nobody but aldo and then immidiately went up and wanted Dos Anjos a guy who was a top 5 p4p at the time.

fell through and took Diaz at 170 lost and instead of going backto 145 or meet him at 155 he rematched him at 170.
then went and fought against the new lightweight champ Alvarez.

what do you guys want him to do? fight 20 times a year so everyone gets a shot? he'll fight the winner of two guys on big win streaks, dodging would be to fight none of them.

i like how conor taking a small break after 4 fights in 2016 is somehow dodging people.

dude wanted nobody but aldo and then immidiately went up and wanted Dos Anjos a guy who was a top 5 p4p at the time.

fell through and took Diaz at 170 and rematched him there.
then went and fought against Alvarez.

what do you guys want him to do? fight 20 times a year so everyone gets a shot? he'll fight the winner of two guys on big win streaks, dodging would be to fight none of them.

Dodging is also fighting a mediocre welterweight in Diaz instead of defending his title against any of the top contenders. Just saying

if khabib wasn't injured for 2 years he might have the title already and we would've seen Conor vs Khabib at UFC 19x.

Dodging is also fighting a mediocre welterweight in Diaz instead of defending his title against any of the top contenders. Just saying

he took that fight on 10 days notice while preparing for Dos Anjos. Who else was ready at 155?
he lost and got the rematch, if he didn't do that you would say he dodged Diaz.

if i remember correctly both Aldo and Edgar turned down UFC 196

if khabib wasn't injured for 2 years he might have the title already and we would've seen Conor vs Khabib at UFC 19x.

he took that fight on 10 days notice while preparing for Dos Anjos. Who else was ready at 155?
he lost and got the rematch, if he didn't do that you would say he dodged Diaz.

Conor would've never attempted to move up to fight for the title if Khabib was the champ

Conor would've never attempted to move up to fight for the title if Khabib was the champ

suuuuuuuuree.

because people thought Dos Anjos was a weakling back then.
i edited in above that Aldo and Edgar refused ufc 196 after Dos Anjos pulled out.

you now accuse Conor of dodging a guy that was out with an injury at that time.

::

just looked it up, Dos Anjos was #2 P4P when Conor went up.

suuuuuuuuree.

because people thought Dos Anjos was a weakling back then.
i edited in above that Aldo and Edgar refused ufc 196 after Dos Anjos pulled out.

you now accuse Conor of dodging a guy that was out with an injury at that time.

Conor should've defended the belt instead of jumping up to take on Dos Anjos. They refused the fight because it was offered on 2 weeks notice once Dos Anjos came out and said he was hurt. Nobody takes a title fight on 2 weeks notice, especially after seeing how gassed Mendes was when he did the same with Conor a few months before. Look what Khabib did to Dos Anjos before Dos Anjos went on that run to become champ. He totally destroyed him. I accused Conor of dodging Frankie Edgar and a possible Aldo rematch.

Connor said he was taking a long break (that may change now). So the next two contenders can either have a long wait for his return or fight it out for now. Say it's the rumored 10 months of leave. One guy waits 10 months, the other 13-15 months. Does that makes sense to you?

Either of those guys should have had a title shot before Conor as it is. That make sense to you? Everything happens on Conor's time I suppose as always.

y2dvd

No he wouldn't and there is no proof to say he would ever be dumb enough to throw himself in that predicament.
There's no proof of your claims either. As of now, there's no announcement of who Conor will fight next.

Either of those guys should have had a title shot before Conor as it is. That make sense to you? Everything happens on Conor's time I suppose as always.

I mean I agree with that lol, but that's a different argument than before. For the record, I think both Khabib and Ferguson deserves a title shot.

There's no proof of your claims either. As of now, there's no announcement of who Conor will fight next.

There's no announcement because Conor hasn't told Dana who he wants to fight. Dana can say he should fight Khabib all he wants but until the "Chicken McGregor" decides he wants to fight him, it will probably never happen. Knowing Conor he'll probably not defend that belt either and try and move up to fight Woodley for his title next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom