• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: We want Skype on PS4

Courage

According to corporate vice president Marc Gillett, talking to BBC

“We’ve worked with Sony for a long time. Skype ships today on the PlayStation Portable amongst other cross-platform devices that we deliver to, and for the last few years we’ve also been shipping versions of Skype that run on Sony TVs. ”We’re obviously not party to their pre-release [PlayStation] hardware road map [but] we’re committed to cross-platform.”

PS4 and Xbone cross party chat will ease the difficulty of my friends buying the Xbone instead of a PS4 if I can talk to them.

'edit: my bad, forgot the source http://www.handytips.info/1567/microsoft-we-want-skype-on-ps4/

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
edit: Damn if true.

coughlanio

PS4 and Xbone cross party chat will ease the difficulty of my friends buying the Xbone instead of a PS4 if I can talk to them.

If it does come to PS4, I can imagine it would be sandboxed to the point that you can't run it in the background, to prevent just this...

Certinty

Makes it even funnier that Pachter mentioned Skype as a selling point for the Xbox One over the PS4 (as well as other devices).

Azih

I don't see why Sony would shut that down. Skype is popular enough that forcing it to be XBone exclusive when MS doesn't even want it to be doesn't make much sense. I don't think Sony's got Google levels of spite.

satam55

Banned
I told y'all the Skype division wouldn't be cool with letting a competitor like "Google Hangouts" take that marketshare on the PS4.

Shocking news is shocking. Skype has been on Vita for awhile now. Don't know what he means be "Skype ships today on the PlayStation Portable".

Cels

Funny story, my friend was working in china doing some computer stuff a few years ago and he went to an event where Steve ballmer was speaking. He had the chance to ask mr balmier a question and asked him about what ms' partnership with skype would mean goin forward. Mr ballet looks at him, smiles, and says "son, we bought them. It's not a partnership."

IvorB

who is buying the ps eye though?

I will buy the PS Eye. It's weird I know but knowing the LED's on the controller are redundant without the Eye will bother me. Plus I want to play with that dorky AR app when I have friends round that are wasted.

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't see why Sony would shut that down. Skype is popular enough that forcing it to be XBone exclusive when MS doesn't even want it to be doesn't make much sense. I don't think Sony's got Google levels of spite.

It's in Sony's best interest to have Skype and everything else that's already found on every other platform. Skype may be owned by MS but what good is Skype if you can only use it on certain platforms? It needs to be useable EVERYWHERE. This isn't FaceTime (and we can all be thankful for that)

So yeah it definitely benefits everyone, especially consumers, for it to be on PS4

DieH@rd

Banned
Vita has good Skype support. Audio calls work in the background during gaming, and video chat works, but only in the fullscreen mode [game is paused]. There is no text chat.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
If they get this done and we have the ability to do Skype in-game on both systems for voice chat that would be amazing.

For some reason I have a feeling that it would only be accessible when using the Skype app on both though, so you couldn't be playing Killzone and Skyping on PS4 at the same time.

satam55

Banned
According to corporate vice president Marc Gillett, talking to BBC

'edit: my bad, forgot the source http://www.handytips.info/1567/microsoft-we-want-skype-on-ps4/

Section from original BBC article:
PS4 support?

In the meantime Mr Gillett said Skype was exploring how to offer 1080p "super-high definition" video call resolution to other devices apart from the forthcoming Xbox One video games console.

Since the standard would require extra processing power, he added that tablets and laptops were set to gain the facility ahead of smartphones.

And he would not rule out the software coming to Sony's PlayStation 4 which will compete with Microsoft's machine.

"We've worked with Sony for a long time," he said. "Skype ships today on the PlayStation Portable amongst other cross-platform devices that we deliver to, and for the last few years we've also been shipping versions of Skype that run on Sony TVs.

_69530470_vita.png

Skype runs on the PlayStation Portable and Vita handheld consoles, but has not been announced for the PS4

"We're obviously not party to their pre-release [PlayStation] hardware road map [but] we're committed to cross-platform."

Mr Gillett would not comment on leaked documents suggesting the US National Security Agency had been able to spy on Skype video calls since July 2012.

The Guardian quoted one memo as saying: "The audio portions of these sessions have been processed correctly all along, but without the accompanying video. Now, analysts will have the complete 'picture'."

Microsoft previously declared that any changes it has made to Skype's systems since acquiring the business in 2011 "were not made to facilitate greater government access".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23866593

Mugatu

I think it would be great. Skype could become the defacto gaming chat service then - cross chat with PS4, Xbone, PC, etc.

Top Bottom