• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Hopeful to bring Gears of War to Xbox One, up to Epic

I doubt if it's not already in conceptual stages...
Many have been wondering if a Gears of War game will appear on Xbox One, and Microsoft Studios Honcho Phil Spencer made an interesting statement about it today as part of an interview on Famitsu.com:

"Gears of War is developed by Epic Games, and they’ve been our partners for a long time on Xbox 360. You should ask Epic Games about what they want to do. We haven’t announced anything yet about Gears of War, but we hope to bring it to Xbox One in some form. However, there’s nothing more I can tell you at this time."
Thanks Dualshockers

They're just playing dumb:
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/robert-ferrigno/9/423/b6b
jb0YNMw88axrUK.png

Silky

Banned
Gears of War collection HD. With updated online, all dedicated servers with that Thunderhead shit.

Day one. pls

If you ARE going to do a continuation, don't make it about Marcus again. The world needs a Cole Train-focused game. Please.

Next gen Gears would be awesome. I'm guessing it won't come 'til after Halo, so that's plenty of time off after Judgment.

Gears of War collection HD. With updated online, all dedicated servers with that Thunderhead shit.

Day one. pls

This would be an awesome way to build hype. :)

Sponge

Banned
I thought Epic was done with Gears?

I really want Microsoft to push new franchises. Ryse and KI are sort of a start, but I don't think they're getting as much care as Gears did.

crozier

They need to give the series a break for awhile. I'd like to see some sort of spin-off, but not for a few years at least.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
sounds like its going multi-plat to me.

Well Tim Sweeney's big push for Epic right now, at least technology wise, is "You can deploy a game on every platform (that makes sense)."

I kind of assumed it was their new IP though and that they would keep on having PCF make Gears for Microsoft to have a "safe" relationship to keep income coming in.

But yeah this seems a bit less usual for a non-answer.

Silky

Banned
Why? New game please.

The series ended at three. Judgment was a horrible installment. As much as I'd like the game's story to continue, I think it should be done at 3. Or at th very least, no more Marcus/Delta Squad.

make it like gears 1? pretty sure theyre all basically the same, never played judgement

Gears 1 is a completely different game compared to 2 and 3. Though I consider 3 to be the best, 1's often considered as the most superior Gears title. Outside of it's netcode, Gears 1's weapon balancing is the best of the series.

Eusis

Making it a Xbox One exclusive will be bad advertisement for UE4?
Flip side: they make it look really great, and point out that's only the tip of the ice berg.

For them anyway, because has any UE3 game looked as good as Gears from anyone else?

I don't think Epic will make another Gears Game. As far as I see it, Epic is focusing on working on UE4 and making games that are more low-budget.

RdN

After Judgement, the series needs a good rest.

Also, Microsoft's lack of franchises made them have to over release likes such as Halo, Forza and Gears on the 360, generating fatigue.

The series ended at three. Judgment was a horrible installment. As much as I'd like the game's story to continue, I think it should be done at 3. Or at th very least, no more Marcus/Delta Squad.
It doesn't have to be with Marcus, just create a new story in the Gears universe. And no more goddamn prequels.

Xater

I really don't know where you would go with Gears at this point. I'd rather have epic focus their efforts on an entirely new franchise.

How many teases does this make for Spencer now?

He's gotta keep his lid a bit tighter, else he spoils the excitement.

What do we have right now?

Crackdown 3, Battletoads, new Gears, and some Japanese exclusive?

I feel like he's trying to say stuff to let people know MS is focused on games but he can't announce some of them yet because it's too early.

Ushae

Banned
Gears would be great, but I'd rather have a new IP from Epic. MS need a few more new IPs and a couple reboots for good measure. Banjo, Crackdown and Perfect Dark would be a good start ;)

IMO they went to the well too often, and the IP needs a rest.

However, if they came out with a beautiful game with new heroes, a new enemy, and new settings I'm sure people would buy it.

Gestault

It kills me that people want to replay the exact same games from half a decade ago rather than experiencing something new.

codhand

Gears 1 is a completely different game compared to 2 and 3. Though I consider 3 to be the best, 1's often considered as the most superior Gears title. Outside of it's netcode, Gears 1's weapon balancing is the best of the series.

the nuance of weapons and netcode might matter to the hardcore series fans, but i bought 1-3 day one and feel it was the same sp campaign three separate times

so to say it had better be like X is silly to me, as youll get the same machismo campaign with the same reload mechanic

harSon

Banned
forgot about this. I'm confused.

It's not too confusing. Microsoft and Epic don't want to talk about it yet, so they're simply deflecting questions regarding it. But if the LinkedIn profile is true, and there's no reason to believe it's not, then the franchise is likely still exclusive to Microsoft considering the guy's position and history.

Top Bottom