• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sikh professor badly beaten in hate crime

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddhu33

I think religious education is sorely needed in the US... Turban =/= Muslim.

EDIT- I didn't make myself clear. These people should be caught and punished, regardless of who they thought the victim was, or what their religion is.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/23/justice/new-york-sikh-possible-hate-crime/?hpt=us_c2

New York (CNN) - A Columbia University professor who wrote about hate crimes against Sikhs may have become a victim of one himself when 12 to 15 people attacked him while shouting anti-Muslim slurs, police said.

Prabhjot Singh, a Sikh and a professor of international and public affairs, said the attackers were yelling "get Osama" and "terrorist" when they swarmed him Saturday night near Central Park in New York.

"There were about 20 of them. A few surrounded me, and started punching me," Singh said, according to the Sikh Coalition.

Explainer: Who are Sikhs, and what do they believe?

He suffered injuries to his face, including displaced teeth and a possible fracture in his lower jaw, as well as severe bruising and a small puncture on his elbow, the coalition said. Singh was treated and released from Mount Sinai hospital.

The New York Police Department said it is investigating the incident as a hate crime.

"This is a tremendous blow not just to Prabhjot and Sikh Americans, but to the ideals of all New Yorkers," said Amardeep Singh, program director of the Sikh Coalition. "What happened did not happen in a vacuum. Here in New York City, we regularly receive reports that Sikh school children are called 'Bin Laden' or 'terrorist' by classmates and sometimes endure physical violence."

Valhelm

contribute something
Was this a white supremacist group? Why would fifteen guys feel the need to beat the shit out of "Muslim looking people"?

Abounder

Banned
So the article says there might have been 12-15 people and then they include a quote from the victim and he says 'about 20' instead. What the fuck?

I like how you focused on the turban and Muslim part instead of the ganging up on someone part

Anyway crappy situation all around. Even if you walk with a friend or a small group you can get outnumbered at the park (kind of dangerous to walk alone still)

Nikodemos

So the article says there might have been 12-15 people and then they include a quote from the victim and he says 'about 20' instead.
Because obviously the guy getting pummelled was careful enough to accurately count the number of people mashing him into the ground. :rolleyes:

I'm still amazed at how people so often mix up Sikhs and Muslims.

it boggles me too how these people are in a time of easy access to information, yet are so ignorant when it comes to certain things.... of course a hate crime to any religious/cultural/racial/gender/etc... based group is just an aggressive blind spew of ignorance without any means of thought or logic

Abounder

Banned
Because obviously the guy getting pummelled was careful enough to accurately count the number of people mashing him into the ground. :rolleyes:

Where the fuck did they get the number from then if not from the victim?

Edit: Actually nevermind he says 'a few surrounded me'

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Was this a white supremacist group? Why would fifteen guys feel the need to beat the shit out of "Muslim looking people"?
near Central Park? Not likely. Not impossible but not likely.

I'm going to go with tourist drunks, NJ guidos, or black or Latino teenagers.

Lautaro

So this would be better or worse if the victim was an actual muslim?

Informed hateful fuck > Disinformed hateful fuck?

siddhu33

So the article says there might have been 12-15 people and then they include a quote from the victim and he says 'about 20' instead. What the fuck?

I like how you focused on the turban and Muslim part instead of the ganging up on someone part

Anyway crappy situation all around. Even if you walk with a friend or a small group you can get outnumbered at the park (kind of dangerous to walk alone still)

Why do you think they ganged up on him? It is most likely because they thought he was Muslim. Of course, they should all be arrested, regardless of who they ganged up on, but the stupidity of this particular situation was poignant.

Ducarmel

I doubt if they knew wearing a turban does not determine your religious affiliation would have prevented the attack.

If they were willing to beat him up because they thought he was Muslim, I am willing to bet they would found some other justification based on just because he is different from them to attack him.

animus82

Banned
Pretty sad.

Dude got beat up for wearing a turban. I guarantee it.

I live in Sacramento and two nice old Sikh guys got shot because they were walking while wearing turbans.

Something really needs to be done about this. I can't imagine how it would feel to get attacked or questioned just because of the way you look.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
NYC is a cesspool, it's getting worse by the day.

Okay.

New York City Murder Rate In 2013 Falling To Historic Low, Says NYPD

Mystery Of New York's Falling Crime Rate Remains Unsolved

nycrime1_20071129.gif

"One thing that is quite obvious is that almost every neighborhood in the five boroughs can be said to be on the way up, whereas cities like Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore and St. Louis have quite a few neighborhoods that can be termed dead or dying," said Eugene O’Donnell, criminologist at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice.

xbhaskarx

I have to admit I'm quite surprised this sort of incident happened in a big multicultural city like NYC (where many people probably see both Muslims and Sikhs every day) and not somewhere in the south, Midwest (there was a mass shooting at a Sikh temple near Milwaukee last year), or even southwest....

Proelite

I am very surprised that this happened in NYC. Usually people are pretty low key when it comes to race in public places.

commedieu

Banned
I am very surprised that this happened in NYC. Usually people are pretty low key when it comes to race in public places.
I imagine the group was diverse that attacked. Nyc n all..

I think thanks to the propaganda, "terrorist/muslim" has/is becoming one in the hearts of ignorant people.

Don't a lot of you see that?

Reeks

I am always curious: what drives the transition into mob mentality? I'm sure these individuals would not have attacked this man if they were mano y mano.

apana

Not surprised by this. Some crazy number, like 1 out of 10 Sikh people, will be the victim of a hate crime, not to mention the endless abuse they must get just from random idiots who verbally harass them. In Sacramento one elderly Sikh man went out for a walk one day and never returned home, I also remember the relatively recent incident of a Sikh man being stabbed at the airport. These are just a couple of the crazy stories I have heard.

B.O.O.M

There are some extremely dumb people in this world. I feel sorry for the professor

Surprised to hear NYC is like this too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom