• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sikh professor badly beaten in hate crime

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISOM

I have to admit I'm quite surprised this sort of incident happened in a big multicultural city like NYC (where many people probably see both Muslims and Sikhs every day) and not somewhere in the south, Midwest (there was a mass shooting at a Sikh temple near Milwaukee last year), or even southwest....

An interracial couple (white guy/black girl) was beaten in manhattan ny a month ago by white males. It was crazy to hear it to say the least.

So these deplorable hate crimes happened right next to where I live?

Unacceptable. This is beneath Manhattan...this is beneath any civilized society.

Those people should be rounded up and put in prison. God...this just makes me sick. What kind of world do we live in where such hate crimes proliferate? Have we not evolved at all?

NYC is a cesspool, it's getting worse by the day.

Looks like you haven't been to NYC.

apana

An interracial couple (white guy/black girl) was beaten in manhattan ny a month ago by white males. It was crazy to hear it to say the least.

Do you have a link to any articles about it? It's crazy, sometimes with all these stories I wonder if we are regressing or whether we just hear about it more on the news. Or perhaps the haters are becoming more unhinged now that society is becoming more mixed? Hundreds of hard right wing groups and separatist movements have sprung up in the last 5 years. Now not all of those groups are racist but there are enough radical associations to make me nervous. There is backlash against immigrants not just here but in Europe. Hell some Neo Nazi type group is just plain trying to take control of Greece and gaining support. Most of these attacks aren't by specific groups however, just idiots who parrot their talking points or get all angry because of what they see on the news.

ISOM

Do you have a link to any articles about it? It's crazy, sometimes with all these stories I wonder if we are regressing or whether we just hear about it more on the news. Or perhaps the haters are becoming more unhinged now that society is becoming more mixed? Hundreds of hard right wing groups and separatist movements have sprung up in the last 5 years. Now not all of those groups are racist but there are enough radical associations to make me nervous. There is backlash against immigrants not just here but in Europe. Hell some Neo Nazi type group is just plain trying to take control of Greece and gaining support. Most of these attacks aren't by specific groups however, just idiots who parrot their talking points or get all angry because of what they see on the news.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Interracial-Couple-Attacked-Outside-Queens-Bar-in-Possible-Hate-Crime-220138761.html

My mistake wasn't manhattan but queens.

Batman

Banned
Okay.

New York City Murder Rate In 2013 Falling To Historic Low, Says NYPD

Mystery Of New York's Falling Crime Rate Remains Unsolved

nycrime1_20071129.gif

"One thing that is quite obvious is that almost every neighborhood in the five boroughs can be said to be on the way up, whereas cities like Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore and St. Louis have quite a few neighborhoods that can be termed dead or dying," said Eugene O’Donnell, criminologist at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice.

For the people who talked about me in this topic:

The NYPD has been manipulating crime statistics for years now and has been underreporting crimes on purpose for who knows what reason.

I live in NYC, the stuff that happens in the city is insane, you just have to go out at night and see what happens.

Yeah " my post history " shows that I am full of it right?

Since stop and frisk has been ruled illegal and the cops have stopped there have been less gun seizures and crime has already skyrocketed. NYC is currently open season and more people are walking the streets with guns behind their back knowing that cops won't stop them in the street.

So everybody who is against stop and frisk and lives currently in NYC should know that they are now surrounded by more people carrying handguns than before, you probably take the subway and there is a guy with a piece under their clothes right next to you.

NYC is getting worse by the day and people shouldn't be in denial about it. Just wait until the next recession hits by the end of 2014/beginning of 2015. And with rising food costs it's not really a good place to hang. Then you have handout king Bill De Blasio wanting running for Mayor, he actually wants to raise taxes on the wealthy people on NYC,

yeah that will work.

There's a reason why most people that make money in Manhattan actually don't live in the city, they live in New Jersey and Connecticut for a big reason. NYC is no place to live.

Yeah " my post history " shows that I am full of it right.

It shows that you often make one line posts with inflammatory claims (providing zero evidence), and then never respond when people post argument that disproves your asinine statements. This was a rather rare exception, but you provided no evidence other than "believe me, there's a conspiracy going on!"

What morons.

I don't know what the Sikh community in the US is like but if they're anything like the Sikh community in the UK they're absolute bro's. I gained a lot of respect for Sikhs during the London riots, their attitude was pretty badass.

watershed

Banned

The NYPD has been manipulating crime statistics for years now and has been underreporting crimes on purpose for who knows what reason.

I live in NYC, the stuff that happens in the city is insane, you just have to go out at night and see what happens.

Since stop and frisk has been ruled illegal and the cops have stopped there have been less gun seizures and crime has already skyrocketed. NYC is currently open season and more people are walking the streets with guns behind their back knowing that cops won't stop them in the street.

So everybody who is against stop and frisk and lives currently in NYC should know that they are now surrounded by more people carrying handguns than before, you probably take the subway and there is a guy with a piece under their clothes right next to you.

NYC is getting worse by the day and people shouldn't be in denial about it. Just wait until the next recession hits by the end of 2014/beginning of 2015. And with rising food costs it's not really a good place to hang. Then you have handout king Bill De Blasio wanting running for Mayor, he actually wants to raise taxes on the wealthy people on NYC,

yeah that will work.

There's a reason why most people that make money in Manhattan actually don't live in the city, they live in New Jersey and Connecticut for a big reason. NYC is no place to live.
What is going on in this post? Stop and frisk was only recently ruled on in the courts and you already know crime has sky rocketed? Do you ask people if they are carrying a gun in their backpack? Is that how you collect your data?

And a candidate for mayor proposing to raise taxes on the wealthy relates to crime how?

Forever

Banned
What is going on in this post? Stop and frisk was only recently ruled on in the courts and you already know crime has sky rocketed? Do you ask people if they are carrying a gun in their backpack? Is that how you collect your data?

And a candidate for mayor proposing to raise taxes on the wealthy relates to crime how?

He's a wealthy Upper East Side high school kid who is going through that phase where he hasn't yet learned to think for himself and thus repeats everything his parents parrot off Fox News around the dinner table. He'll be a Democrat by the time he graduates university.

CTLance

Sikh of all people? I mean, sure, here in Munich we only have a paltry 200 or so Sikh, but from my admittedly extremely limited experience they seem like a very peaceable bunch.

That lynch mob beating is just dumb. I kinda wanna point and laugh at the idiots, but then again, they ganged up on a random guy. Hope they get what they deserve.

Madness

What the hell is sikh? Never heard of it before.

These are almost twice as many Sikhs than Jews in the world. Just let that sink in.

Just shows how much of a factor cultural relativism is these days.

But this attack is fucking disgusting. Some punks beat an old senior Sikh to death in a park where I live a few years back. Numerous have been killed or assaulted since 9/11 all because morons have no brains or personal control. And it's always minorities that get the short end of the stick when it comes to these kinds of things or so called reprisal attacks.

Look how little attention was given to the Sikh temple shooting in Wisconsin by some white skinhead punk who was an avid supporter of 'gun rights' in the years and months leading up to him gunning down innocents. And like a few weeks ago, we had that video/thread of that 85 year old Sikh grandfather get beat up by some drunk white girl in the UK for no reason.

He's a wealthy Upper East Side high school kid who is going through that phase where he hasn't yet learned to think for himself and thus repeats everything his parents parrot off Fox News around the dinner table. He'll be a Democrat by the time he graduates university.

Its funny, because I've heard his exact logic parroted from a few staunchly-Republican, cynical cops I know. It's almost like they're reading from some kind of handbook.

entremet

yeah that will work.

Citation needed. You're making an awful lot of assumptions based on ''feelings''

yeah that will work.

ibiZdvxUefXzAA.gif

Forever

Banned

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. This is the part I love the most. You were born in an era where Harlem is safe to walk at night. What the fuck do you know about NYC? Your parents probably still want you in bed by 10. Go on, share some of this "insane" shit you've seen while breaking curfew, Batman.

Skelter

Banned

yeah that will work.

I feel perfectly safe in Jamaica, Queens. Never been robbed hell I've been bullied when I was in school. I'm Spanish so I have dealt with my share of stop and frisk.

Batman

Banned
You people should go read my previous posts about this subject in my profile, you guys want tolerance for everything but are quick to bash others and call them names.

Here are some " sources and citations " for some of you, I notice on this site if you don't post something that isn't " anecdotal evidence " then you have no say in anything..

https://www.google.com/search?q=stop+and+frisk+crime&

Enjoy, there are plenty of pie charts, graphs and percentages that you guys just love. I love the hostility here.

Batman

Banned

That's pretty comparable to being a Colombian that is tanned, has been profiled by many and lives in the South Bronx right?

You guys sure know my whole profile.

Since stop and frisk has been ruled illegal and the cops have stopped there have been less gun seizures and crime has already skyrocketed.

That's not how crime works. Like, at all. You don't change policy and mere months later you have city-wide behavioral changes. This isn't SimCity.

Batman

Banned
That's not how crime works. Like, at all. You don't change policy and mere months later you have city-wide behavioral changes. This isn't SimCity.

Oh really? Click on my link that shows some articles that show otherwise.

Read up, they show statistics!

Oh really? Click on my link that shows some articles that show otherwise.

Read up, they show statistics!

I thought the NYPD was "manipulating statistics"?

At any rate, what statistics exactly? These?

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/new-york-gun-violence/2013/09/19/id/526696

During the 28 days ending Sept. 8, there were 140 shootings in the Big Apple compared to 124 during the same period last year, reports The New York Post.

The number of gunshot victims was up by more than 9 percent during that period, with 164 people hit by bullets this year compared with 150 shot last year.

A difference of 16 shootings and 6 gun shot victims in the entire city as opposed to last year.

"Skyrocketed"?

Forever

Banned
That's pretty comparable to being a Colombian that is tanned, has been profiled by many and lives in the South Bronx right?

You guys sure know my whole profile.

Still waiting for your stories of insane shit you've seen at night while breaking curfew.

Batman

Banned
Still waiting for your stories of insane shit you've seen at night while breaking curfew.

I've seen some stabbings, a body in a bag left in a road, multiple brutal muggings, one attempted rape.

So yes I've seen a lot, and that was during the day since I had to be home and asleep by 8PM for 8th and 9th grade. So yeah I have broken curfew a few times which I am ashamed of.

They manipulate statistics by under reporting non gun crimes.

Yes, you already said that in the first post. That's what I'm calling you out on.

I've shown you statistics from the google search link you provided yourself. The difference is 16 and 6. Your "stories" sound far worse even than the statistics you're arbitrarily choosing to trust.

Forever

Banned
I've seen some stabbings, a body in a bag left in a road, multiple brutal muggings, one attempted rape.

So yes I've seen a lot, and that was during the day
Someone left a body lying in the road in the middle of the day? Gonna call bullshit on that.

entremet

So yes I've seen a lot, and that was during the day since I had to be home and asleep by 8PM for 8th and 9th grade. So yeah I have broken curfew a few times which I am ashamed of.
Where in NYC do you live?

I went to school in South Bronx and I've never seen stuff like that.

Batman

Banned
Yes, you already said that in the first post. That's what I'm calling you out on.

I've shown you statistics from the google search link you provided yourself. The difference is 16 and 6. Your "stories" sound far worse even than the statistics you're arbitrarily choosing to trust.

Yes those are big numbers for gun seizures and gun crimes, stop and frisk being stopped is solely responsible for that.

Someone left a body lying in the road in the middle of the day? Gonna call bullshit on that.

I was walking home from school many years ago and saw people in a circle and there was a decomposed body in a bag. Even two years ago a few blocks from here somebody left a body in the middle of the road at night, nobody in my area really goes out at night so you can do anything out here.

Yes those are big numbers for gun seizures and gun crimes, stop and frisk being stopped is solely responsible for that.

In that month, a 30 day period, in the entire city. 16 shootings one September as opposed to Sept 2012, ignoring that there's no link this change was because of the ruling on Stop and Frisk, and ignoring the natural deviation of these figures over time. I mean, the website's reporting of the statistics is already biased enough.

You're coming in here talking like the city's collapsing under decomposing bodies under the subway and every other person walking around with a concealed gun. It stands to reason that if your farfetched stories are true you would be seeing far more than 16 more shootings if you're seeing "multiple brutal muggings" and "decomposing body bags" lying on the street.

You people should go read my previous posts about this subject in my profile, you guys want tolerance for everything but are quick to bash others and call them names.

Here are some " sources and citations " for some of you, I notice on this site if you don't post something that isn't " anecdotal evidence " then you have no say in anything..

Enjoy, there are plenty of pie charts, graphs and percentages that you guys just love. I love the hostility here.

I know in real life you can mostly get away with shouting opinions as facts, but can you honestly not see why data is more valuable than anecdotal evidence when trying to determine the validity of a claim? Really?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I like how he put quotes around sources and citations as if they aren't important.

I like how he put quotes around sources and citations as if they aren't important.

He is actually a robot coded by 4chan to troll Internet discussions. I have no facts or citations to support this but I saw 100 dead bodies on my way home today so just believe me ok?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Maybe in the 70's dude, maybe in the 70's.

ISOM

The thing is that this is a racial or ethnic attack. It isn't exclusive to new york at all. Being in new york I was actually surprised to see this sikh guy attacked. I would love to call every place that has a racial attack a cesspool too but I don't because it's stupid to generalize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom