• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Multiplayer game of this Generation?

MRORANGE

So trying to run it down to one I came up with a final winner:

Winner: TF2

IXn0im8.jpg

- Class based combat that puts an effort in team work to secure objectives.
- Game that has received more free updates than Activision is able to crank out COD DLC
- A multiplayer game with an actually story and well developed characters
- Unique cartoon style sets it apart from every other military shooter.
- Community focused modding with maps and weapons workshop
- F2P done right

Runner-up: COD4: Modern Warfare

aQqiEqU.jpg

- Unique gameplay that every single developer has tried to emulate this gen and failed miserably.

What is your winner?

edit: give some bloody reasons, people.

Mystery

Starcraft II - highest-skilled game of the generation

Runner up:

CoD4: Modern Warfare or Resistance: Fall of Man.

CoD4, because it was revolutionary, and R:FoM for the community and solid throwback fps gameplay (non-ads reliant).

FluxWaveZ

Persona 4 Arena for me with StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty as the runner-up.

P4A: A fighting game based on my favorite JRPG series ever. The way the RPG was adapted into a fighting game, mainly the translation of the Persona concept, was brilliantly executed and it's a fun game all around.

SC2: WoL: My first experience with a competitive RTS game. Was hard to wrap my head around at first, but as I played more, I got progressively more obsessed with improving. Eventually got to Master rank before I stopped playing as seriously because of P4A.

Lingitiz

Gotta go with TF2. It's just so damn easy to pick up and play, or sit for hours on end on a single server. It's got the best team based/class based gameplay out there without having to be so coordinated and organized through voice chat and whatnot. I tend not to really care how I'm doing in kills because it's easy to feel like you're contributing to the team.

And goddamn does Valve support the shit out of it. Not many developers will add a whole coop mode for free.

Slixshot

Banned
Best Couch Multiplayer:
Super_smash_bros_brawl_logo.jpg

Super Smash Bros Brawl is not the best smash game to date. Yet, it still persists to be the best game to play with your buddies when they're over. My friends can't play a shooter for a can of friend beans, but the learning curve in smash has always been low enough that despite me being better than them at first, they could hold their own. We've totaled close to 4,000 hours in our time of smashing, and in that time, there have been moments of triumph and sorrow. Few games have done for not only them, but myself (a dude who plays enough games and cares enough about games to wind up on the most renown gaming forum out there), than what smash has done for us. This game series has become a bond for my friends and I; a tradition, one might say. It's simply one of the best series to play with friends and we can't wait for WiiU/3ds. Thanks for the good times, Brawl. :)

Best Online Multiplayer:
halo-reach-render-logo.png

Reasons: Ok, odd fact which I am somewhat proud of: my total multiplayer kills over the Halo series have totaled over 100,000. That's more than quite a few small countries. As you can see, I fucking love Halo. It's a system seller for me, and despite having switched to primary PS3(4 when it releases), I will likely find my way onto the One when the next Halo comes out. That being said, 4 just didnt click with me as well as 3 or Reach. 3 was what I thought to be the last halo game. When ODST came out, I shit some bricks. It was a great experience, but it was lacking the multiplayer I loved in 3. Then, Reach came out. I have the majorty of my kills in Reach, simply because it was the most refined "true" halo experience ever. The additions to the game were fantastic and Bungie's community support was top notch (including the occasional update for balances and the inclusion of user made levels in matchmaking. I really loved Reach. 4 was a turn in an odd direction, but hopefully with 5, they recapture more of the Halo feel I love.
*Edit for reasons:

1. Minecraft
2. MAG
3. Uncharted 2
4. Starcraft 2
5. NBA 2K series (points docked for being laggy as fuck... but if you could get a full 5v5 game of all humans... man was it's amazing)

Bonus pick: COD 4. Amazing game... I just resent it because of the fact that all shooters since are a clone of it.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Duke Nukem Forever. Serious post. Amazing fun, great maps, insane weapons and one-liners. The most fun I've had via multi-player in years. Shame nobody plays it much anymore. :(

matthieuC

Halo 3. It's fun even if you're playing like shit. Playing with friends and screwing around in matchmaking was one of my favorite gaming experiences ever.

SmileBit199

Neo Member
SpiesVsMercs_zpse2a76471-660x370.jpg

Classic mode only but it really is in a class all by itself. Requires and fosters communication/teamwork better than any game out there.

Randdalf

TF2 is the only one for me, unbelievable and unprecendented post-launch support (on PC), incredible game with surprising depth and lives up to its name of being a proper team game.

Lingitiz

Halo 3. It's fun even if you're playing like shit. Playing with friends and screwing around in matchmaking was one of my favorite gaming experiences ever.

Eh the matchmaking was fine up until the point where you start to get matched with high level teams nearly every time due to the idiotic true skill system. At that point you can't even play casual fun games because every game is against stacked teams.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
yep TF2 for me as well, I just happen to like everything about it, something that cant be said about other online FPS games

FluxWaveZ

You like Wings over Swarm? Wings got awful stale towards the end, there.

I started playing SC2 about one year after it initially came out. Being my first competitive RTS game, the element of novelty was there and it felt rewarding for me to see myself improve and climb up the ranks. Every day, if I wasn't playing matches, I was watching replays.

When HotS came out, I was excited for it and kept on playing, but something about it didn't feel as compelling to me as WoL did. I don't know if it's because I wasn't too into the Zerg additions as much as what other races were getting, whether it's because Widow Mines really weren't fun for me to deal with or because I was just getting burned out in general.

Debasertron

Neo Member
RDR, there was plenty of crazy fun to be had in the free roam, and the progression system made it last. GTA V might dethrone it for me if Rockstar gets it up and running properly.

Top Bottom