• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Multiplayer game of this Generation?

Lingitiz

SpiesVsMercs_zpse2a76471-660x370.jpg

Classic mode only but it really is in a class all by itself. Requires and fosters communication/teamwork better than any game out there.

Is this really that good? I have the game on PC but haven't touched MP at all.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
If we are including PC (as we probably are considering the games in the OP), then:

1. Europa Universalis 4: Awesome strategy game with tons of options and so much intrigue! Just look at our community thread to have a look. Deep.

2. Street Fighter 4: Good old street fighter, nothing comes close when you just want some arcade action. Exhilarating.

3. Mario Kart Wii: People might not like the Wii-version, but its my most played game this gen - and everybody could join now with the wheel. Ingenious.

Honorable mentions: Civilization 4, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Wii Sports, Nintendoland (if it counts in this generation), New Super Mario Bros-series, Demon's Souls, Left 4 Dead, Resident Evil 5, Portal 2.

novenD

(Excellent write-up you should read)

Its a beautiful, wonderful, fun video game. I take breaks from it now and again, and then I come back and fall in love all over.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

TF2 is really a special thing. It's a game built for gamers, where essentially every aspect of the presentation is used in service of its mechanics, and it's equal parts approachable and complex, rewarding skilled players without shutting out new ones. Team Fortress isn't just an excellent game; It's the gold standard for game design as a whole.

Card Boy

Banned
COD4 has pretty bad multiplayer. It strengths lie in its map design and not being over burdened with like 30 kill streaks.

Just to rattle off some of its problems.

• No host migration (host leaves, game shuts down)
  • No local search (People in the southern hemisphere will 8 times out of 10 will be playing with 1 or 2 bars most of the time)
  • Juggernaut
  • Stopping Power
  • Martydom
  • Nade spam (Grenades have a vary large radius, don't bounce like they do in post MW2, coupled with Martydom)
  • Hackers
  • Introduced quickscoping
  • UAV spam

Special C

tcFMwk3.png

Because the world needs more tower based combat where you actually play a character that can participate in the action.
Watching Robocop as a kid also instilled a love for futuristic satirical advertisements.

Wow, posted this game right after me, was very suprised to see someone else loved it so much. Every now and then I boot it up just to hear the intro music. Game was designed so well.

Warhawk, especially the dog fighting against good pilots. Pure skill, almost impossible to kill a great player if you're not as skilled as he is. Ground combat was different, insane and random and arcadey in the best way. Every spawn felt like Christmas to me

JustinBB7

Team Fortress 2 and Dota 2 for me.

TF2 for obvious reasons, the impact it had.. the testing game for Valve to test out pretty much all of the Steam/Game features valve creates. The whole hat thing, the constant updates, the maps, the comics, the movies, the hats, the free stuff.. every thing.

I moved on to Dota 2, which I feel a lot of people did, because it now seems to be Valve's go to game. (well used to anyway :mad:) and of course after years and years and years of TF2 something else is nice.

Card Boy

Banned
Wow, posted this game right after me, was very suprised to see someone else loved it so much. Every now and then I boot it up just to hear the intro music. Game was designed so well.

Too bad they pissed on their fanbase with Super Monday Night Combat.

vanty

Probably TF2 though I stopped playing around the time all this robot shit came in. After that either SSBB, L4D2 or Meteos.

Dylan

I agree that Team Fortress 2 is probably the best multiplayer game this gen.

However, my favourite multiplayer game of this gen was actually:

Super Monday Night Combat

ss_84b738405a97417cc42545f5f703b9dbe5600304.1920x1080.jpg

SMNC is the best of everyone's world. It borrows intelligently from the best aspects of TF2 and DOTA to become the most fun MOBA that ever existed. Fuck the haters; everything that Uber did in designing the gameplay aspect of SMNC was genius. (Everything about the back-end was an atrocity, unfortunately, but I digress.)

Critics of MOBA's might argue that the tower defense mechanics are just a way to artificially increase the length of each match. This might especially be true in a game like DOTA, where a lopsided match-up still feels like it takes eons to complete.

SMNC finally gives the MOBA genre an excuse for existing. The heavy reliance on the players' awareness of himself in 3D space means that every micro-encounter must be carefully planned. The location of the enemy players, the enemy bots, your team's bots, and the boundaries of the arena are constant factors throughout the game. Uber exploited these variables masterfully. Check out this Captain Spark gameplay tutorial:

Captain Spark Gameplay Demo.

The sheer fun of SMNC proves that a game like DOTA (of which I'm a huge fan) is needlessly bloated. The absence of complex item trees allows for a heavier emphasis on the minutia of combat. While there is still a steep learning curve, SMNC primarily rewards team play over knowledge of build orders which, in my opinion, is the core of what makes multiplayer games fun.

super-monday-night-combat-released-on-steam-on-accident-dev-team-goes-with-it.jpg

As if it wasn't obvious by now, I really, really had a great time with SMNC this gen; and I was someone who went in blowing the "Poor man's TF2" trumpet until I sat down and learned the mechanics. It was such a shame then, when Uber decided the small playerbase wasn't worth their time, and straight up abandoned their fans. Months went by and the same players returned day after day, with absolutely no updates from the developers. By the end, Uber couldn't even be arsed to rotate the free pros, or fix the "Players Online" counter that will forever be stuck at a laughable "603 Players Online!".

It definitely sucks that this game ended up the way it did, but the few of us that stuck around will always know how great this game was.

RIP SMNC.

edit: Shitbuckets, after all that, I totally forgot possibly the best part of SMNC. The commentators.

While kind of juvenile in their humour, the in-game announcements of SMNC did something brilliant. Not only did the off-the-cuff style commentary add humour to a genre where laughter is exceedingly rare, it was executed in a way that prevented it from getting stale. For example, new commentary lines were slowly added with each update, and it was pretty common that the announcers could be heard making quips pulled directly from the SMNC message boards, or direct questions from players on twitter.

The commentary of Chip & G.G. (the names given to SMNC commentators) are also the first time I've ever heard obvious improv in a video game. Every once in awhile, it's clear that the voice actors blew their line, and brilliantly, Uber keeps those takes in-game. This is one of the smartest things I've ever seen in a video game.

Check out this voice-over that clearly doesn't go as planned. So much credit to Uber for keeping these in the game! It sounds so much more natural than any giant-budget game's voice work. It's amazing that sincere, real laughter is basically completely absent from video games when we, as humans, respond so well to it.

SMNC should have been the "Seinfeld" of video games, where every week you logged in just for the funny. Here's hoping Chip & G.G. pair up again and that the producer realizes the potential that they have.

From a gameplay standpoint and among TPS the best this gen is TLOU. Best TPS gameplay this gen. Though TLOU def lacks mp modes. Didn't play much fps mutiplayer this gen other than bf3 as I got season pass for that game free, but I will start on TF2 soon.

EDIT LBP deserves to be mentioned as one of the best MP so as souls games.

Grayman

Left 4 Dead 2 - In coop or versus its a great game to screw around with pals and open mic chat. The versus mechanics lead to "oh crap" and laugh out loud moments.

Console generation runner up prize: Warhawk - Warhawk took the Battlefield experience but put it into a colourful powerup filled arcade experience. The game functioned equally well from four players all the way up to the cap (24? 32?). The thematically different maps of floating islands, canyons, cities in the sky, and mountainous areas all played differently in their own ways. The expansion packs were very welcome long after release each bringing new areas and a new mechanic. I may not play Warhawk again but its been a great game.

Industry wide the game of the generation would be World of Warcraft, LOL, or Minecraft though.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

TF2 is really a special thing. It's a game built for gamers, where essentially every aspect of the presentation is used in service of its mechanics, and it's equal parts approachable and complex, rewarding skilled players without shutting out new ones. Team Fortress isn't just an excellent game; It's the gold standard for game design as a whole.

Its easy to lose sight that in the cartoony art style, funny hats, and its relatively simple map design, but its just a really, really intelligently designed game, built to cater to a wide range of skill levels and preferences. Just a lovely bunch of checks and balances, like the damage dropoff that happens over time EXCEPT for the Sniper who can bypass that. Weapons do various damage and don't kill everyone in one hit EXCEPT for the Spy who can insta-kill even 450+ health Heavies.

And visual design IS game design. So many elements working together to create a coherent, accessible, intuitive multiplayer FPS. Its still the smartest looking shooter on the market.

XJF

COD4 has pretty bad multiplayer. It strengths lie in its map design and not being over burdened with like 30 kill streaks.

Just to rattle off some of its problems.

• No host migration (host leaves, game shuts down)
  • No local search (People in the southern hemisphere will 8 times out of 10 will be playing with 1 or 2 bars most of the time)
  • Juggernaut
  • Stopping Power
  • Martydom
  • Nade spam (Grenades have a vary large radius, don't bounce like they do in post MW2, coupled with Martydom)
  • Hackers
  • Introduced quickscoping
  • UAV spam

Most of these are legit, but didn't Juggernauts make their debut in MW2? Don't recall them in MW (playing RIGHT now). Same for Quickscoping, thought that came from MW2's Intervention. Fragx3 is BY FAR my favorite perk though lol

hoserx

I've done most of my multiplayer gaming on the PC this generation but I bought an xbox 360 just to play Vegas 1 with my friends and I can't remember ever having a better time playing an online shooter. (well maybe quake 3)

Halo 3 for competitive online. Absolutely incredible. One of the few games where I played THOUSANDS of matches, as opposed to hundreds.

Co-op online: Rock Band 3. The most ways to sort the music, easiest drop-in-drop-out, the best music game hands down.

Gears 1
Gears 2
Halo Wars
Battlefield Bad Company 2
UNO
Rainbow six Vegas 1
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1
Saints Row 1
MW1
MW2
Halo 3

Quite games. Would say that Gears 1, Gears 2, and BFBC2 were the best ones. Miss the days when Gears 1 just came out. Same with Gears 2.

Super Smash Bros Brawl
Mario Kart Wii
Halo 3

Couch multiplayer is all that matters to me. Have probably spent around 10 hours online all gen.

chixdiggit

Team Fortress 2. Not even a contest.
Even if you don't like the game it's pretty silly to name something else in it's place. It is continually changing and evolving. The game we got 6 years ago was awesome, now it's in a league all by itself. Name me any other multiplayer game that has evolved the way TF2 has.

Card Boy

Banned
Most of these are legit, but didn't Juggernauts make their debut in MW2? Don't recall them in MW (playing RIGHT now). Same for Quickscoping, thought that came from MW2's Intervention. Fragx3 is BY FAR my favorite perk though lol

I assure you Juggernaut is in COD4, in MW2 its called Painkiller and is a death streak. Also Juggernaut is an actuall enemy aswell in MW2.

Quick scoping exists in COD4.

Juggernaut was definitely CoD4. I thought CoD 2 introduced quickscoping with the way the aiming mechanics worked and it just carried over? MW2 seemed to be the first CoD where it was popular right away.

Tygamr

Minecraft. The amount of different things you can do in it, especially in multiplayer is large. There are MMORPG-like servers, there are servers dedicated to PvP, servers just for building, survival servers, servers for games like capture the flag, and more. The possibilities go on and on. It is very fun to play with friends (especially if you play the console edition on the same couch- though it loses a bunch of possible things you can do compared to the PC version). It also receives substantial updates periodically, which keep it from getting stale, and give you more stuff to do.

Any Call of Duty game with a zombies mode. I haven't met anyone that doesn't like CoD zombies- even people who hate Call of Duty don't mind zombies. It's really fun to play and it rarely gets old. It's great for when a friend stays over and as a distraction at a party. I actually bought CoD BlOps II just to play zombies (a friend and I were snapchatting these two girls, and they wanted to play CoD zombies, but I didn't have it- so me and my friend split the cost.) Have not touched anything except zombies.

Pusha1

Neo Member
Coming from the awesomeness of Socom 2/3 in the PS2 days, I had high hopes for next-gen online experience, but I just didn't have as much time to play online this gen. That being said, I'd like to echo the sentiments about Warhawk. As far as the early days of PS3 ownership, this WAS the MP game to play, great DLC support as well.

Killlzone 2 was also fantastic and no one can deny the initial boom of COD4:MW's online mode.

XJF

I assure you Juggernaut is in COD4, in MW2 its called Painkiller and is a death streak. Also Juggernaut is an actuall enemy aswell in MW2.

Quick scoping exists in COD4.

That's my bad, I thought you meant the armored enemy/Killstreak reward from MW2.
Don't ever recall that in COD4, but I stand corrected. Haven't encountered QS yet tonight lol

Killzone 2 for me.

• 32 player carnage
  • Dynamic "Warzone" game mode that changed objectives on the fly
  • Great maps with a distinct aesthetic
  • Distinct classes that encouraged team work
  • No perks bullshit. Skills are unlockable but don't unbalance the game
  • Guns felt superb. No attachments or stabilisers that give an advantage
  • Server lists
  • The chirp

Runner up: Warhawk

• 32 players
  • Expansive maps allowed epic battles
  • Range of vehicles; jeeps for ctf getaways, tanks for assaults, aircraft for dogfighting
  • No perks or boosters
  • Server lists
  • Mine ambushes never got old

GetemMa

Battlefield Bad Company 2

-Best Online MP Shooter (IMO of course)
-Level design was tits, I can't think of a level I really hated
-Sniping was actually fun
-Guns had a personality instead of all being equally effective at the same thing
-Building destruction was amazing, you could level everything
-Classes/Loadouts/Gadgets were balanced perfectly
-Night time Battles
-Best DLC of any Shooter this gen. BF Vietnam was awesome.

Left for Dead 2

-Best Co-Op game this gen
-Game design forces real team work for success
-Best Zombie game this gen
-Great variety of level design and difficulty

J-Rzez

The titles selected should speak for themselves, some detailed by others already, and so...

Chromehounds (teamwork, especially the comms mechanic)
Warhawk
MAG
Resistance 1
World of Tanks
War Thunder
CoD4
Planetside 2

These games alone ate up a significant portion of my life, some still do. BF4 has the potential to kick off this gen on the right foot for me.

Super Street Fighter 4.

Aside from that, though, I have to throw in a good word for New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Yes, it is local only. But the chaos is something truly special. If you haven't played it, get a few friends together and burn through a few worlds. You will get so angry and have an absolute blast.

Naked Lunch

Battlefield 3, Street Fighter IV, and Halo 3. Countless hours to be had. The greatest value in gaming.

TF2 is overrated beyond belief. Team Fortress Classic is 10x the game that POS is.

Top Bottom