• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X/Y review thread: Gotta read em all!

kdIVZQZ.png

GameReactor Spain 10

Pocket Gamer 10
Pokemon X and Y is also notably a much easier game than previous Pokemon titles. I can't claim to be the best Pokemon player, and I've always found myself wiping out multiple times in past games. Yet in Pokemon X and Y, I've been wiped out just once in my dozens of hours of play, and most battles I've managed to plough my way through with little resistance.

This all feels mildly disappointing - especially when you mow down gym leader after gym leader with ease. The crux of the issue relates to EXP SHARE: it's no longer a held item, and instead is a bag item that automatically gives experience to all of your party Pokemon during each battle.

Note that it doesn't share experience - it instead gives additional, free experience. This means that all of your Pokemon are constantly levelling-up, and you are always a much higher level than any of your competitors or wild Pokemon.

You can choose to turn EXP SHARE off, but then it just feels like you're missing out on one of the game's features.

If you can look past the stereoscopic 3D and difficulty issues Pokemon X and Y is essentially the perfect Pokemon game. I haven't had this much fun with a Pokemon game since Pokemon Gold and Silver, and I'm in no doubt that we'll look back on this as a defining moment for the franchise.

Polygon 9.5
Everything about Pokemon X and Y instills a feeling of adventure that extends far, far beyond its campaign. It lets you take ownership of so much — from your wardrobe to your meticulously groomed team — and then lets you take that identity onto a global stage.

Pokemon X and Y made me feel like I was back on the middle school playground, vying for real-life superiority in battle and communing in trade. I didn't think games could still make me feel that way — but I'm so glad to be proven wrong.

Joystiq 4.5/5
By combining refinements like these with classic gameplay, a revamped aesthetic and plenty of new gameplay options, Nintendo has created a Pokémon sequel that will not only be adored by Pokémaniacs, but should also draw new players to the series. With less of a learning curve and a wealth of new content to discover, Pokémon X/Y both builds on its pedigree and redefines what players should expect from the franchise. Most importantly, the game seems to have been designed with usability in mind, while also maintaining the endless reams of Pokémon trivia and esoteric references that longtime fans demand.

Whether you've wrangled dozens of Charmanders or couldn't pick a Pikachu out of a Safari Zone lineup, Pokémon X/Y is hands-down the best in the series.

Eurogamer 9
Nevertheless, Pokémon X & Y is the finest expression of Satoshi Tajiri's obsessive vision yet. The transition to 3D is smooth and natural and the multitudinous additions to the proven formula will excite even the most jaded Pokémon fanatic. Meanwhile, the kernel of Pokémon's appeal - filling every blank in that collection, catching 'em all - remains resolutely undiminished after all this time. For the young, the game is a soothing promise that, if you work hard, concentrate and look after others, victory and success will be yours. For the young at heart it's a warm reminder of the childlike thrills of discovery, compilation and care.

CVG 9
Ardent fans have been professing for years that Pokémon actually changes. For once, you don't have to be an ardent fan yourself to see it. X & Y's general structure remains almost identical to its forbears, but the rest of it - the detailed 3D visuals, touchscreen minigames, Mega Evolutions, new elemental type and, of course, the new Pokémon themselves - has resulted in more innovation than the last three games combined. It's bigger, more complex, and truly makes its hardware work.

Shacknews 9
In the greater context of the series, any new generation of Pokemon's main purpose is to get a foothold on the Nintendo 3DS, shake up the battle system a bit, and introduce a new generation of monsters that can be marketed to kids around the world (as well as sheepish adults like myself). Pokemon X and Y soundly exceeds expectations in all of those categories, making use of its new features to highlight and improve upon classic monsters, all while managing to avoid feeling the least bit old or stale. All told, it's an impressive accomplishment, and a great start for the series on the Nintendo 3DS. I have no idea what the future holds, but for another few years at least, the beat will go right on for what may be the most important series on any Nintendo platform.

IGN 9
Game Freak has really outdone itself this time, and Pokemon X and Y will be remembered as great transition point for the series’ transformation into an even more social, beautiful, and strategic game. Building on five generations of games, a digital menagerie of captivating creatures, and a wide range of diverse regions to explore, Pokemon X and Y proves this formulaic portable role-playing series can still deliver an innovative experience.

NOWGamer 9
Pokémon X and Y look the part on 3DS, take more fundamental risks than any core game in the series to date and attempt to open the competitive field to more entrants than ever before – that's three huge pluses (Plusles?) right there.

It pretty much ticks (Joltiks?) every box for existing fans and creates a great entry point for newcomers and returning trainers alike, making it an easy recommendation and one of the best games on 3DS.

Nintendo Life 9
Once again, Game Freak hits the nail squarely on the head, making Pokémon X and Y an excellent new addition to the series' expansive library. Thanks to the simultaneous multi-region release date more players than ever before will be able to experience first-hand that indescribable sensation of unearthing brand new Pokémon that have nimbly avoided the dreaded internet leaks.

A wonderful blend of excitement and nostalgia, Pokémon X and Y evolves the core series with its impressive polygonal 3D environments and magical camera angle mastery, adding a few technical adjustments along with a brand new Pokémon type to the original formula that we all know and love. It's not quite a revolution — and is hindered slightly by the meagre use of its host platform's glasses-free 3D capabilities — Pokémon X and Y is sure to steal the hearts of Pokémon fans new and old alike.

VGNetwork [Italy] 9

Nintendo Online [Germany] 9

Game Informer 8.75
Pokémon X & Y does not break the mold of what we expect when we play a Pokémon game. It goes down the check list of important Pokémon features, neatly ticking them off one by one. It still feels like a Pokémon game, but the ease of player control, the updated art direction, 3D graphics, and the scaling of the world make everything more inviting, attractive, and fun. It’s a great stepping-on point for new trainers, and a worthwhile continuing adventure for those who know what to expect.

VentureBeat 82/100
Pokémon X and Y might mark a big visual jump for the series, but the structure remains steadfast in its dedication to tradition. These are still fun games that offer the potential for hundreds of hours of entertainment, and some of the new additions, like the Fairy-type, are certainly welcome. But X and Y don’t really stand out from their predecessors, and I really am starting to wonder how much longer Nintendo can repackage what is essentially the same game.

Still, Nintendo will get away with it at least one more time. X and Y may not surprise you, but Pokéfans will still revel in another chance to catch them all.

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/04/pokemon-x-and-y-review/#Qsx5E1HPDiEwypfS.99

EDGE 8
Those qualities never really went away, of course, although some of the series’ original magic had been lost across so many iterative updates. And while the disappointment of the lacklustre 3D implementation here never entirely fades, the thrill of the new is undeniably back. Make no mistake: this is a pair of games that will lead to formative moments in young lives, moments of the kind that will inspire a lifelong passion for the medium. In the games’ improved communication features, too, X and Y are truer to their narrative’s ethos: the joy of sharing moments of beauty and surprise with others. It’s a delightful message to send to a new generation of players, many of whom are just starting out on their own gaming journey. There can be few better places to do so.

Nintendo World Report 8
Pokémon X and Y is an odd pair of games to quantify because, on one hand, they are still solid entries in an incredible JRPG series and they offer some select new features that go above and beyond to make this feel like a brand new generation. On the other hand, inconsistent presentation, insubstantial core innovation, a low Pokémon count, and a minimal post-game keep them from achieving the total nirvana that this series has always been capable of.

Gamespot 8
To put it in terms a Pokemon professor would understand, Pokemon X/Y is a welcome evolution in this long-running franchise. It's a great-looking game whose visuals can finally match the inherent charm of its many potential pokemon protagonists, and its engrossing core has been enhanced by the new additions to its gameplay. Pokemon X/Y isn't quite a mega evolution of its numerous predecessors, but like a dark move played against a ghost- or psychic-type pokemon, it doesn't disappoint.
GamesRadar 4/5
Even with all of these renovations, innovations, and--yes, we're going to just go ahead and say it--evolutions, Pokémon X and Y still feel like a Pokémon game in the end. Sure, you're going to spend some of the time petting your Pikachu and you get to choose multiple starters, but X and Y eventually land in the comfort zone fans have found themselves in for six generations. Though they don't reinvent the core concept of the franchise, they do a fantastic job of cleaning up the aging mechanics and creating a Pokémon world you'd be crazy not to explore.

Wiitalia [Italy] 7.5

USGamer 3.5/5
I feel like there must be some secret undercurrent of reinvention lurking beneath the surface of this game, something only the truly dedicated (i.e., people like Dustin) can appreciate. I'm sure they'll be picking over the new mechanics and rebalanced monsters for months to come. For a less invested player, though, X and Y once again feel like more of the same. I suspect you get out of X and Y what you bring in -- and as someone who only plays Pokémon to goof around and see how far I can get with the most amusingly designed creatures (ask me about the time I trashed Victory Road with Luvdisc, Spoink, and Tropius!), I didn't find much about X and Y to engage my enthusiasm. But your mileage will almost certainly vary, fanboy.

Heyt

Banned
I am really looking forward to this one but I really don't know what to expect from reviews due to media blackout. How are things looking for the game?

vareon

I am really looking forward to this one but I really don't know what to expect from reviews due to media blackout. How are things looking for the game?

If you already decided to go media blackout, you're most likely going to enjoy the game nonetheless.

Scanna

here's ours!

VGNetwork.it: 9*

Pokémon X and Y are the Pokémon chapters we were waiting for almost 15 years now, incredibly polished and with convincing 3D graphics. If you count Megaevolutions too, you realise that Nintendo and Game Freak actually made it in giving new life to a long lasting serie and for all players – not only die-hard fans – it is a compelling experience, one to touch directly with your hands, letting your 3DS take you back sweetly in the fascinating world of Pokémon.

Fey

Banned
Edge, Game Informer, IGN and Eurogamer all gave B/W the same scores, I believe. So if XY are as good as them, I'm happy.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What's this?

If that all sounds a little soft, then the next option on the touchscreen, Super Training, allows you to increase individual Pokémon's base stats through a series of soccer ball-based mini-games, focusing on individual stats to, for example, balance a creature whose attack stat vastly outweighs its defence.

jet1911

For those of you who played the game do you think it's a good game for newcomers? I have the game preordered but I've a never played a Pokemon game before, except Pokemon Snap.

Heyt

Banned
If you already decided to go media blackout, you're most likely going to enjoy the game nonetheless.

Well, I did it to enjoy it more, but I am not sure how good the content is going to be or if will please me, so...

Dawg

For those of you who played the game do you think it's a good game for newcomers? I have the game preordered but I've a never played a Pokemon game before, except Pokemon Snap.

Certainly. The exp share item is one of the best improvements ever, especially for casual players and newcomers.

I love the item.

One detail about the item btw: it does not grant you 100% xp if you change pokémon. You always get 100% experience (so 6x 100% xp if you switch your full party to defeat one opponent) even if you do not have exp share.

I guess that meant they didn't really playing the game because they would tell that it's fake if they actually evolve their pokemon, right?

I'm fairly certain that the reviewer has very little say in the layout or formatting of their review, and the prettying-up is done by a (apparently incompetent) different team.

jet1911

Every Pokemon game is welcoming to newcomers.

Certainly. The exp share item is one of the best improvements ever, especially for casual players and newcomers.

I love the item.

One detail about the item btw: it does not grant you 100% xp if you change pokémon. You always get 100% experience (so 6x 100% xp if you switch your full party to defeat one opponent) even if you do not have exp share.

Great! :D

zroid

Banned
lol fucking IGN. even in their video review they show only japanese footage of Orotto. :mad:

hell, it's probably part of the embargo but COME ON

Top Bottom