• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X/Y review thread: Gotta read em all!

MadmanUK

Haha. Here's the pic before they take it down:

rbPil4e.png

It's the Okami IGN thing all over again.

I hope they re-review it when they play with the real Pokemans.

A lot of the changes seems to be cosmetic (3d, changing clothes) and the game largely seems to follow the same formula which is concerning. The only encouraging review I found was IGN, as it seems the game picks up much earlier than usual.

pooch

Neo Member
As a huge pokemon fan I do get a bit sniffy about how so many reviews feel the need to refer to Pokemon as a children's game. I know it is a game aimed at children, in part, but still! I feel it undermines the game somewhat, and is perhaps the reason why some people seem to regard it as "only" a kid's game, despite its universal acclaim.

Still, good to see the good scores roll in - did we expect anything less?

DaBoss

Certainly. The exp share item is one of the best improvements ever, especially for casual players and newcomers.

I love the item.

One detail about the item btw: it does not grant you 100% xp if you change pokémon. You always get 100% experience (so 6x 100% xp if you switch your full party to defeat one opponent) even if you do not have exp share.

Where's yo review Dawg?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
A lot of the changes seems to be cosmetic (3d, changing clothes) and the game largely seems to follow the same formula which is concerning. The only encouraging review I found was IGN, as it seems the game picks up much earlier than usual.

Most of the changes are mechanical. Go check out /vp/ or the leak thread to see all the inner stuff that's not picked up by reviewers.

Delio

Quite a shame about the post game thing. I already figured the game had less new pokemon tho. Still seems to be getting fantastic scores.

DaBoss

Seems like less post-game is true since there are 2 sites stating that:
NWR said:
I wish I could say this is the only problem I have with the game, but there are two other substantial issues I have that keep this from being a game that stands above previous entries. While recent Pokémon games have had some major content to enjoy throughout, this one has a more limited longevity and replayability. Somewhat negatively, I would compare the amount of content you get in these games to Ruby and Sapphire.

Less Pokemon remains to be confirmed without a doubt. Another thing to note is event Pokemon and the fact we'll never find out about any hidden Pokemon that have certain conditions (like seasons).

The game sounds terrible. Will wait for bargain bin prices before jumping in :(

What?

rrs

Lack new mons and end game (relative to B/W 2? R/S? G/S?) could be a bummer but this is about the biggest leap the series took so far.

Edit: R/S amount of end game is ok for me considering it's about the last game in the series I played without hax.

JoeM86

Lol

100 reviews giving game X score 9/10

1 reviewer gives game X score 7/10

"We'll this game sounds terrible :("

Quite common. Whenever a game gets high marks, whenever there's a low review, people come out of the woodwork and agree with it, typically saying "Finally someone has the guts to say the truth"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Actually there's still more than 70 (Kotaku hinted more typings that weren't revealed yet, like Ground Ghost and Ground Fairy). Probably going for 80.

pooch

Neo Member
Lack new mons and end game (relative to B/W 2? R/S? G/S?) could be a bummer but this is about the biggest leap the series took so far.

Yeah, I think GF are superhuman. Can't have been easing creating 3D models of 700+ pokemon in addition to everything that goes into making a new game. And it hasn't been that long since the last mainline release.

Admittedly its just my bias but I "forgive" them for relatively few new pokemon in this iteration, and expect a bigger expansion next time round since they won't have to develop a new engine again.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think I'm most surprised by the description of the online system in practice, which sounds very 2013 as opposed to feeling like something out of the 90's. Basically the online functionality is ever-present and you can interact with friends (friends list), acquaintances (people you've fought or helped once beofre), and even strangers, and be able to battle them, trade with them, or cast O-abilities on them (helpful buffs that cost less to cast on others than yourself) at almost any time.

They also seem pretty dedicated to speeding up the game (ranging from exp share, the pace of the intro, xp when catching pokemon, and restoring your pokemon easily during battle) and giving you a lot more control over your Pokemon.

My skimming did suggest that playing against the AI trainers is still incredibly easy however, but since online is everywhere, this seems like a fairly reduced issue.

And now, the reviews with notable quotes:

Eurogamer - 9 said:
This final player-versus-player aspect of the game is so crucial to Pokémon X & Y that it is ever-present on the 3DS touchscreen. The Player Search System connects to the internet each time you play, showing icons that represent other online players around the world, grouped by 'friend', 'acquaintance' or 'passerby'. You can challenge anyone to a battle, trade Pokémon with them and even offer special gifts without even needing to enter a pause menu. There is almost no barrier between solo and online play; Game Freak's execution of this cumbersome design problem is nothing less than masterly.

Nevertheless, Pokémon X & Y is the finest expression of Satoshi Tajiri's obsessive vision yet. The transition to 3D is smooth and natural and the multitudinous additions to the proven formula will excite even the most jaded Pokémon fanatic.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-04-pokemon-x-and-y-review

IGN - 9 said:
A lot of smart decisions went into Pokemon X and Y. The first big change is an opening that’s considerably faster-paced than the sluggish first hours of the previous games. In less than an hour, you’ll have access to a diverse roster of capable pokemon from current and previous generations, your first gym badge, and even roller skates! The significantly sped-up pace also means you’ll spend less time sitting in lobbies or fumbling through menus and more time in the action.

What makes Pokemon X and Y feel dramatically new and more modern are its forward-thinking online features. Specifically, the Player Search System, a communication tool that debuted in Pokemon Black & White, receives considerable upgrades that make playing together a much more graceful experience. You can quickly battle and trade at any time, or share helpful O-powers – think of them as unique buffs that enhance a stat like attack or evasion. You can also share all of that new customization. For instance, each trainer can share a brief video that shows off acquired creatures or general traits about themselves. It's a fun form of expression.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/04/pokemon-x-and-y-review

Polygon - 9.5 said:
The game also does a great job of encouraging you to meet, catch and utilize the hundreds upon hundreds of Pokemon that occupy Kalos. A lot of that has to do with the game's progressive take on experience points. In a series first, you now earn XP for capturing Pokemon. More drastic are the changes to the returning Exp. Share item, which gives every inactive member of your party a half-portion of rewarded XP at the end of every battle, no questions asked.

You're not just incentivized to catch ‘em all, you're given an easy method for getting your new acquisitions in fighting shape. You don't have to tie yourself down to your strongest monsters — I rotated the members of my party constantly throughout the campaign, giving me ample freedom to experiment with the game's new Fairy Type and Mega Evolution mechanic.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/4/4800980/Pokemon-x-and-pokemon-y-review

Symphonic

Small post-game doesn't bother me. I usually burn out once I finish the campaign and then just do online battles anyways.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Remind me to just collate reviews quickly next time and then swap those for carefully chosen summaries, whoops, 25 minutes late has got to be one of my worse performances. :lol

If I have no interest in online play, is the sp still usually worth the price for these games?
I can count on one hand the amount of times I've played Pokemon online and it's one of my favorite video game series ever. The single player is more then worth the price of admission.

Mik317

The lack of new pokemon isn't a deal breaker considering the variety the leaks have shown so far...

Also the game seems to be pretty long considering no one is past the 6th gym yet.

I also pretty much done once I see the credits so post game never really did much for me.

But yet I know some will be let down and call gf lazy..

rrs

Yeah, I think GF are superhuman. Can't have been easing creating 3D models of 700+ pokemon in addition to everything that goes into making a new game. And it hasn't been that long since the last mainline release.

Admittedly its just my bias but I "forgive" them for relatively few new pokemon in this iteration, and expect a bigger expansion next time round since they won't have to develop a new engine again.

And they aren't static either, it's the 3D pokeadventure your 90's self wanted

Top Bottom