• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X/Y review thread: Gotta read em all!

I think I'm most surprised by the description of the online system in practice, which sounds very 2013 as opposed to feeling like something out of the 90's. Basically the online functionality is ever-present and you can interact with friends (friends list), acquaintances (people you've fought or helped once beofre), and even strangers, and be able to battle them, trade with them, or cast O-abilities on them (helpful buffs that cost less to cast on others than yourself) at almost any time.

They also seem pretty dedicated to speeding up the game (ranging from exp share, the pace of the intro, xp when catching pokemon, and restoring your pokemon easily during battle) and giving you a lot more control over your Pokemon.

My skimming did suggest that playing against the AI trainers is still incredibly easy however, but since online is everywhere, this seems like a fairly reduced issue.

And now, the reviews with notable quotes:

Actually, I think that this is the reason why there's no 3D in the overworld.

pooch

Neo Member
I can count on one hand the amount of times I've played Pokemon online and it's one of my favorite video game series ever. The single player is more then worth the price of admission.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. The charm of the NPCs (and the pokemon!), the deep strategy of the battles, and the collecting element are all reason enough to love it.

Milennia

I bought colliseum and stadium games not because they were great games ( they were great games) but because i originally wanted some 3D pokemon action, but now that its in the mobile games and theres no weird bodyblock in order to play a 3D pokemon game ( such as only being able to catch closed heart pokemon etc) there on their way to giving nearly everyone who grew up on the series what they have wanted all along.

Nohar

Uh oh
2095c354.gif

Make that a double "Uh oh".

culafia

NWR reviewer here. There are certain things I can't say because embargo, but the stuff some of you guys assumed is spot on. I won't say what, but I said what I said for a reason!

Vooduu

Hope the multiplayer is really great considering I can actually use my 3DS with Wifi. The bane of all Pokemon games have been post-game.

Edit:
NWR reviewer here. There are certain things I can't say because embargo, but the stuff some of you guys assumed is spot on. I won't say what, but I said what I said for a reason!

Wait...about what? ABOUT WHAT? D:

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
But seriously, the number of Pokemon WILL look less regardless of amount when Gen V is 156. 80 is actually pretty expected for an even gen.

I still don't trust the post game though - it's the only review that mentions it while the other seems to imply it exists.

The Lamp

Minimum post game? Low pokemon count? The fuck, Gamefreak? Looks like they spent their whole time making 3D models.

Pokemon Z, save us!

Trey

But seriously, the number of Pokemon WILL look less regardless of amount when Gen V is 156. 80 is actually pretty expected for an even gen.

I still don't trust the post game though - it's the only review that mentions it while the other seems to imply it exists.

Which review is it? Probably is also the most thorough.

Gah, I wish you could just confirm or deny if there's a Battle Tower. That and online multiplayer are all the post-game content I need, really. Dang you embargo!

Shengar

I hope this one would bet HGSS in term of post game content, but I think it wouldn't :/
Hoping for the return of Pokemon World Championship this early seems too high for a wish.

DaBoss

Oh I missed the part where you said low new Pokemon count. Oh well. I guess Mega Evolutions in a way make up for that.

Were reviewers able to change seasons to see if there are any seasonal Pokemon?

Uh, isn't post-game usually just hunting legendaries, filling out the Pokedex and grinding your team?

I know G/S had a whole extra region to explore, but is that the standard or the exception?

DaBoss

Uh, isn't post-game usually just hunting legendaries, filling out the Pokedex and grinding your team?

I know G/S had a whole extra region to explore, but is that the standard or the exception?

Battle Tower, new places to explore, extra story bits, and another battle facility sometimes.

culafia

You guys assumed more things than those two features (or lack thereof) specifically! I'm not saying that's what's spot on!

All I can say is that I write my reviews from the perspective of a /vp/-going seasoned Pokémon fan and what I say about these games are things I take very seriously. Take that as you will. Though, I did not specifically mention the things you guys did, so I just want to put it out there that these are your words not mine. Anything you say is an interpretation!

I'll mostly be playing offline but its nice to hear about the online improvements and the ability to cast these online buffs on yourself.

I'm not sure I'm too hot about the whole "embargoes up; you can put reviews out. but you can't mention facts x y or z until release date" (I know it is nothing new as I read that Kotaku article with the whole can not mention specifics on Kid Icarus weapons). I can see that being a reason for some institutions to wait on the review until release date

Fey

Banned

tumblr_lte7l1xQ241r0ojhto1_500.gif

Whatever, though. Still hyped as fuck.

Nohar

It depends on the Pokemon title. Black/White 2 had the Pokemon World Tournament, rematch against some trainers (notably your rival, N, and all the people in the stadiums), though it lacked the rematch against gym leaders that HG/SS had, on top of the Pokédex filling and legendary hunting (and there were not so many legendaries in BW2). The Join Avenue was a wonderful feature too for pokemon-training.

clemenx

Banned
Eh. I just care about a battle tower (or subway) My "postgame" is just grinding for that thing and online battle.

Gotta love the reviewers who are incapable of articulating why they give games low scores. Calling the game "incomplete" because it introduces fewer new Pokémon is such poppycock. Is 750 not good enough for you? If anything, I want Game Freak to slow down and spend more time polishing the current Pokémon so kids growing up ten years from now aren't forced to memorize over 1000 different names.

gazele

Banned

I don't know...Gen 2 was 100, Gen 4 was about 80 (in DP, 100 in platinum) and personally gen 4 is my least favorite because of the lack of new guys

gazele

Banned
It is. And it feels like a more proper Sableye

Most of DP and GSC were baby and followed evos. So far it seems all mons are new barring Sylveon.

Yeah, that's definitely true, I think my biggest problem with Gen 4 was the new mons were pretty boring overall, so new mons that look cool plus less evos of past pokemon should definitely help

Kade

The limited post-game stuff worries me. I pretty much 100% White and White 2. All movies, all subways, living Pokedex, all trainers, etc. Took me a couple hundred hours to do everything and I honestly enjoyed it all. Oh well, the 3DS does have patching and DLC for games so hopefully the have plans to add more content.

Guaranteed day 1 anyways thanks to $30 eShop credit. Will happily shell out $40 when the third Gen 6 game(s) come(s) out.

DigitalOp

Banned

Middlutions , Middlutions, Middlutions, Middlutions....

Please!....

Little Post game is forgiveable if the campaign is jam packed

Shengar

Eh. I just care about a battle tower. My "postgame" is just grinding for that thing and online battle.

BW Battle Train lack of variety. PWT is probably one of the best form of battle tower. Not only it have variation of battling, it also let you battle against Gym Leader from across the regions.

Top Bottom