• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X/Y review thread: Gotta read em all!

I don't mind this as much as I normally would on the basis that I'd rather level all my Pokemon faster to battle online, but for people who only want the singleplayer experience, I imagine this being quite disappointing.
Not really, since you can toggle it on or off. It's like complaining about easy mode in an RPG, or Picnic Mode in Etrian Odyssey.

Dr. Buni

I felt that having only a lesser number of new Pokémon was a pro of this game, not a con

It is a pro. With 649 Pokémon as of Gen V, there was no need to introduce a shitton of new ones again. They can, instead, introduce more and more Mega Evolutions.

Derrick01

Banned
Damn, wtf

That scares me because I never had a problem with pokemon, even when I was a kid first playing Blue/Red. That's not to say I NEVER lost but once you figure out the pattern of what element is strong against another it's hard to lose if you keep a balanced lineup. Thankfully it says you can turn it off, and I laugh at his "but it feels like you miss out on a feature" excuse. What feature? Making the game an even bigger joke to run through? Turn that shit off.

udivision

I bought colliseum and stadium games not because they were great games ( they were great games) but because i originally wanted some 3D pokemon action, but now that its in the mobile games and theres no weird bodyblock in order to play a 3D pokemon game ( such as only being able to catch closed heart pokemon etc) there on their way to giving nearly everyone who grew up on the series what they have wanted all along.

In some ways yay, but in others I don't think so.

gundalf

Yes, rotating and using different Pokémon is way more fun. In every game before X/Y, I only used my starter. Every battle. If he died, I'd almost always lose a battle.

Having six pokémon you can rely on instead of one is great. I know this has always been possible, but the amount of grinding wasn't fun. There's only so much trainers before you had to resort to battling pokémon in the grass and that took forever to level a full team imho.

Exp share, in my opinion, is the greatest thing about this game besides the 3D.

I can only agree and this is the main reason why Red was my last Pokemon Game and furthermore why i never tried to get all 150 Pokémon. EXP Share will be for me great motivation not to just Catch am all, but also to train them all to at least Level 50.

Necrovex

That just lowers down the amount of grinding though. I'm fine with it.

This is how I see the experience share, and I am excited GameFreak added the option for me to embrace this feature or to ignore it. I'll certainly use it, since I lack the time, but more importantly, the motivation, to grind like I did a decade back.

Kade

Arthur Gies made a mistake? Wow, I have no choice but to murder him in the digital and real worlds. Piece of shit, make me sick.

When I played through Pokemon Silver for the first time I got to the E4 with a team of Pokemon at level like 32, 33.

"Easy to level" my fucking ass. I've gotten much better about that sorta thing, though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not really, since you can toggle it on or off. It's like complaining about easy mode in an RPG, or Picnic Mode in Etrian Odyssey.

It's more about the concept of if you want a faster leveling stable of Pokemon and a challenge balanced around that, so you have the variety the tool offers, but also the challenge you would want.

Were there also a hard mode toggle in the other direction, it would fit all three styles.

So he should know what every pokemon looks like? Ok....

I mean, it's unprofessional at the end of the day. You can come up with all the excuses that you want, but GISing for fanart to put in to your review and not bothering to check if it was legitimate speaks a lot about how, even with an embargo, they were still rushing to put this up at the last possible second.

Doesn't reflect well on them, I feel.

UNCMark

Banned
Gotta love the reviewers who are incapable of articulating why they give games low scores. Calling the game "incomplete" because it introduces fewer new Pokémon is such poppycock. Is 750 not good enough for you? If anything, I want Game Freak to slow down and spend more time polishing the current Pokémon so kids growing up ten years from now aren't forced to memorize over 1000 different names.

Both reviews explained perfectly why it got a 3.5. To sum it up: Pokemon evolve, but Pokemon doesn't evolve.

Wait, I went back and saw this.

bf87d3561f598571851da78d824f266d.png

This reads a lot like "You have to excuse the lack of effort, I really don't care about this so that's what happened and now we can drop it."

DaBoss

You know what's even more stupid? The press gets high-res official art of the Pokémon, he could have just looked through there and find the first and second form of the starters.

UberTag

The fact that gamers don't just boycott Polygon out of principle due to their blatant lack of professionalism astounds me.

When I think about it I never made much headway in Platinum and Black 2's rather hefty post game content, Black 1 which was light on post game antics which I did get through so for me this point isn't much of a difference maker as i'm more about the main journey than anything else.
A lower new Pokemon count on the other hand does disappoint me a little yet it's not that surprising after Gen 5 threw so many new Pokemon in.

New EXP share sounds fantastic though, I always like to have a team of 6 balanced Pokemon so this should help avert the endgame grind fest that always happened in previous titles when using a full team.

Both reviews explained perfectly why it got a 3.5. To sum it up: Pokemon evolve, but Pokemon doesn't evolve.
How has it not evolved? Every single game in the series has introduced something new, some more so than others. If the formula were to dramatically change, then it would no longer be Pokémon. The fact that he compares this game to a hacked version of Gold and Silver makes me question his credibility. If anything, X and Y are probably the most innovative games in the franchise since Red and Blue.

Trey

I welcome the opportunity to use a rotating team of Pokemon.

Same. Will play as I normally do, except now I have a little more incentive to catch Pokemon I wouldn't take the time out to train. Also, my HM slaves aren't gonna be a bunch of level 12s in a level 60+ party.

Shengar

Holy shit, you can't be serious.

Of course he is. He could asked the reviewer guy first whether or not the pic is true, or the other way where the reviewer guy warned them that they should only use picture from official sources. It is highly unprofessional mistake.

It's more about the concept of if you want a faster leveling stable of Pokemon and a challenge balanced around that, so you have the variety the tool offers, but also the challenge you would want.

Were there also a hard mode toggle in the other direction, it would fit all three styles.
I would think that the counterpart to being leveled faster is having everyone be a few levels higher (like Hard Mode in BW2), but then again GF isn't the type to carry forth features from second games... it'll be something to try in the Z version (or X2 Y2 :p)

Nevertheless, I didn't use Exp. Share in past titles, opting to instead switch my Pokemon regularly and not spend time grinding, which did provide challenge in that I couldn't just burst through most trainers without having to think about who I'd use.

And there's the matter of how much Pokemon the game has (the regional dex this time combined is greater than even BW2's 300), so it's gonna be hard to balance against a general player team regardless, since with the right composition you can take on anyone. It's tough to do right for this type of game I think, since even hard mode has to be beaten by children ("brain-dead AI").

cackhyena

I am. That's shit takes half a second.

Either search on Google.... Or ask the goddamn man who reviewed it that's in your office!!

You can't seriously be defending this??
Defending an apology? I shouldn't have to. The mistake was made and he said as much. Play your game and forget about a goof up on a website that involves art for a review.

DigitalOp

Banned
Defending an apology? I shouldn't have to. The mistake was made and he said as much. Play your game and forget about a goof up on a website that involves art for a review.

Of course. Don't get me wrong, I'm not tallying shit or jumping on the bed. I just call it when I see it.

Shengar

That's a whole other problem.

So he shouldn't know what the main 3 of the newest game look like? OK...

He wasn't responsible for the review, but he shouldn't use anything that is not from official sources. I think that itself already a basic knowledge for reviewer, and pretty embrassing of a mistake. But Polygon learned it so we should let it pass. Just remember if they brought any screenshot that is not from the game or official sources then we can laugh off at their faces.

Pokemon X and Y is also notably a much easier game than previous Pokemon titles. I can't claim to be the best Pokemon player, and I've always found myself wiping out multiple times in past games. Yet in Pokemon X and Y, I've been wiped out just once in my dozens of hours of play, and most battles I've managed to plough my way through with little resistance.

This all feels mildly disappointing - especially when you mow down gym leader after gym leader with ease. The crux of the issue relates to EXP SHARE: it's no longer a held item, and instead is a bag item that automatically gives experience to all of your party Pokemon during each battle.

Note that it doesn't share experience - it instead gives additional, free experience. This means that all of your Pokemon are constantly levelling-up, and you are always a much higher level than any of your competitors or wild Pokemon.

You can choose to turn EXP SHARE off, but then it just feels like you're missing out on one of the game's features.

If you can look past the stereoscopic 3D and difficulty issues Pokemon X and Y is essentially the perfect Pokemon game. I haven't had this much fun with a Pokemon game since Pokemon Gold and Silver, and I'm in no doubt that we'll look back on this as a defining moment for the franchise.

is this guy paid to review games?

Bitches about difficulty but doesn't turn the god damn exp share off?

YOU SHITTIN ME BRO?

Kade

If this is the reaction Polygon gets when they make a mistake, fix it and apologize then I can't even imagine the hate if they were to just leave it as it is and do nothing. It's alright to call it out and roll your eyes (this takes a total of one post) but some people interpret these mistakes as declarations of war.

Top Bottom