• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X/Y review thread: Gotta read em all!

Dysun

Haha. Here's the pic before they take it down:

rbPil4e.png

It's the Okami IGN thing all over again.

lol Polygon, did the guy who wrote the article not even glance at the article before it went up?

UberTag

The real post-game of X & Y will be revisiting all of those older GBA/DS titles to bring over the remaining 250+ Pokemon into 6th gen 3D battling glory.

Or at least the ones that have competition value.

Nohar

Does any review confirm/infirm the existence of a Battle Tower or a Pokemon World Tournament? I really would love to have the last one back.

B2/W2 didn't do too hot, tbh.

Wish I looked at the reviews before purchasing Black 2. I'm not enjoying it as much as I'd hoped.

Hoping Pokemon X/Y will bring back the true trainer within me. Anyways, nice reviews. I'm seeing a lot of games getting 8-10's recently, which I love to see.

I'll be picking this up day 1.

Isin't lack of end game content less of a big deal, since they now have the freedom to support it with DLC?

Damn, wtf

Pokemon X and Y is also notably a much easier game than previous Pokemon titles. I can't claim to be the best Pokemon player, and I've always found myself wiping out multiple times in past games. Yet in Pokemon X and Y, I've been wiped out just once in my dozens of hours of play, and most battles I've managed to plough my way through with little resistance.

This all feels mildly disappointing - especially when you mow down gym leader after gym leader with ease. The crux of the issue relates to EXP SHARE: it's no longer a held item, and instead is a bag item that automatically gives experience to all of your party Pokemon during each battle.

Note that it doesn't share experience - it instead gives additional, free experience. This means that all of your Pokemon are constantly levelling-up, and you are always a much higher level than any of your competitors or wild Pokemon.

You can choose to turn EXP SHARE off, but then it just feels like you're missing out on one of the game's features.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
People got wiped out in Pokemon? That has literally never happened to me before. I actually don't know what happens when you do come to think of it.

KNT-Zero

This spanish review from AnaitGames just came out. 9/10

Speaking of postgame content, they say the following in spanish:
Is it possible to complete the Pokedex without trading with previous games? Honestly, I don't know: many of the game's mysteries will only be resolved in time, and by lots of play sessions and connections. Those worried about endgame content can relax, as we say: there's content for a long time.

I dunno what to think :/

DigitalOp

Banned
People got wiped out in Pokemon? That has literally never happened to me before. I actually don't know what happens when you do come to think of it.

On that note... Let's admit it guys. When did you get wiped out?

I've been wiped a good number of times during my playthroughs of the games.

Unprepared and overconfident Gym runs, Unexpected Rivals, and unprepared Elite Four runs.
Everybody turned the game off and restarted

That just lowers down the amount of grinding though. I'm fine with it.
I don't know, if I can just abuse the thing and level up fast and fly past gyms, where's the challenge?

My main point is I don't want to have to use it to avoid grinding and then switch it off so the playing field's even again. That's just asking the player to artificially create their own challenge in the game. It should be the developer's job to challenge the player shouldn't it?

Nohar

Damn, wtf

It's actually a very good thing. The choice is left to the player after all. Also, don't be too purist: honestly, switching in battle in order for a specific pokemon to level-up was kinda tiring after a while. It was an unecessary manoeuver which just cost time.

Though, indeed, the difficulty of the game may not be adapted for this. Single player experience will definitly be less challenging, should you choose to use it.

DigitalOp

Banned
I don't know, if I can just abuse the thing and level up fast and fly past gyms, where's the challenge?

My main point is I don't want to have to use it to avoid grinding and then switch it off so the playing field's even again. That's just asking the player to artificially create their own challenge in the game. It should be the developer's job to challenge the player shouldn't it?

Just turn it off Shinobi. Its not really a massive deal. Its a handicap for people new to pokemon.

I can see EXP share making things easy if you keep the same team for the whole game but if you switch things up a lot it is sounds very helpful. It should also mean postgame is less of "oh man gotta levels these things I caught 40 hours ago...".

In gen 1 and 2 you went to the last place you healed and lost half your money.

In later gens you lose some money (a lot less than half) and return to the last place you healed.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Is there any JRPG in the world where you can't cheese with excessive grinding?

Also difficulty levels man.

This just seemed more like something for people to quickly train for online battles.

Dawg

Something I'd like to add: there's a lot of fanservice for people who liked the original games. Mega evolutions and Kanto starters are obvious, but there's also a huge load of trainers who battle you with Kanto pokémon. And you can find many wild kanto pokémon too. I got a Pikachu in the first hour or something.

And the game isn't always simply you going from gym to gym. I think it took me like 3-4 hours to get to the second gym from the first one. It goes faster after that though.

The best part is the xp item though. I don't care if other people are saying it makes the game too easy. Pokémon has always been an easy game tbh. The only difference: I used to have an overleved starter with five meatshields in my team. Now I have six balanced pokémon in my team. It's cool to have a full team of pokémon I can use in every battle, makes me feel like a real trainer. And I feel like some battles require you to have a good team, instead of one overleveled starter.

Trey

This is just me, but I never found the main game a challenge; I rather looked at it as a journey. In all my years playing Pokemon, I would be one or two shotting everything I came across anyways unless the game felt like RNG fucking me. I just liked the themes, seeing new Pokemon, building and maintaining a diverse team, and taking in the fictional world I was immersed in. So for me, EXP Share just makes building my team far far easier, and I'll certainly be using it.

Shengar

Well they should, but in the moment where we feel the challenge is lacking, we have to create it on our own/put some basic restrictions. This is why the no inclusion of Hard Mode is a big bummer :/.
At least they should put Level Limit on Gym Leaders battle.

Rocky

Banned
On that note... Let's admit it guys. When did you get wiped out?

I've been wiped a good number of times during my playthroughs of the games.

Unprepared and overconfident Gym runs, Unexpected Rivals, and unprepared Elite Four runs.
Everybody turned the game off and restarted

I've honestly never wiped out in any Pokemon game. And I've played through every gen and remake. It's so easy to level I think I've been overleveled in every gym leader battle or E4 battle I've ever fought.

Shengar

Something I'd like to add: there's a lot of fanservice for people who liked the original games. Mega evolutions and Kanto starters are obvious, but there's also a huge load of trainers who battle you with Kanto pokémon. And you can find many wild kanto pokémon too. I got a Pikachu in the first hour or something.

And the game isn't always simply you going from gym to gym. I think it took me like 3-4 hours to get to the second gym from the first one. It goes faster after that though.

Dawg, is there any higher difficulties like BW2 had? I would love to see it in XY but I'm not quite sure if Game Freak would even want to add it again.

Delio

I think i will keep EXP share on. This gen i'll be rotating quite a lot so it will be helpful to train up weaker pokemon.

I guess I could turn it off.

I was also never intimidated by gym leaders. Always flew past them, for once I just want them to be this big obstacle to tackle, they should be the toughest opponents in the game besides the Elite 4.

Dawg

I think i will keep EXP share on. This gen i'll be rotating quite a lot so it will be helpful to train up weaker pokemon.

Yes, rotating and using different Pokémon is way more fun. In every game before X/Y, I only used my starter. Every battle. If he died, I'd almost always lose a battle.

Having six pokémon you can rely on instead of one is great. I know this has always been possible, but the amount of grinding wasn't fun. There's only so much trainers before you had to resort to battling pokémon in the grass and that took forever to level a full team imho.

Exp share, in my opinion, is the greatest thing about this game besides the 3D.

Shengar

I was also never intimidated by gym leaders. Always flew past them, for once I just want them to be this big obstacle to tackle, they should be the toughest opponents in the game besides the Elite 4.

The problems are either of them being:
-Underleveled
-Undermanned
-Outclassed
-All of the above

This is quite a personal bummer for me too. Gym Leaders isn't less cooler than the E4 but why are they so weak? Having level limiter like battle tower should fix this problem. Maybe I would play other game first so I know each Gym level and I can restraint myself for being not overpowered.

Yes, rotating and using different Pokémon is way more fun. In every game before X/Y, I only used my starter. Every battle. If he died, I'd almost always lose a battle.

Having six pokémon you can rely on instead of one is great. I know this has always been possible, but the amount of grinding wasn't fun. There's only so much trainers before you had to resort to battling pokémon in the grass and that took forever to level a full team imho.

Exp share, in my opinion, is the greatest thing about this game besides the 3D.

you talked about a Hoenn remake hint, can you elaborate now or do we have to wait for your review to come out?

DigitalOp

Banned

I agree. Its funny how weak some of them are...

I'm actually on my way to fight the Flying Gym in B/W but the only gym leader who was really getting in my ass in this version was the Electric one... Idk her Emolgas were vicious bastards for my team at the time...

I'm really liking the PSS system. Being able to battle any one of y'all at the drop of a hat sounds enticing.

Zelias

Banned
To be honest, if I want challenge in a pokemon game, I'd go with one of the self-restricting runs like Nuzlocke, mono-type etc. etc.

Not saying I wouldn't mind an in-game option to make the game harder a la Challenge Mode, but this is a series that has always been on the easy side, hence why people took it upon themselves to make it harder.

DaBoss

Well we've got 2 saying little post game, and another saying there is a good amount.
----
The way I play, I always keep my Pokemon around the same level, so the challenge is always minimal at best, so EXP Share just makes life easier for me.

I'm doing mine together with a colleague (who has X) and we're waiting till next week to post it. Could be we wait till saturday so there are no restrictions.

OK, that's cool.

Top Bottom