• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Good Wife |O|T| They didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adg1034

First things first. The first four seasons of this show are free on Amazon Prime Instant Video. If you're smart, you'll go start watching it right now, but if you need more convincing, read on.

So, the Season 4 OT for The Good Wife only got 40 (40!) posts over the last year, which is an absolute travesty. Which is why I decided GAF needed a new thread, since this show should easily be up there in GAF readership/viewership with Scandal/Vampire Diaries/Suits/Person of Interest/Elementary/any other thread for a non-meth-based drama you care to name.

The basic synopsis: After publicly standing by her politician husband after a sex/corruption scandal, Alicia Florrick goes back her first career, the law, to try and provide for the rest of her family.

Let'd dispel some misconceptions. Even though this is on CBS, this is not a show for old people. The Good Wife, shockingly enough, takes the topical politics (and banter) from The West Wing, the examination of the politics/press/crime/etc of a large American city (Chicago) from The Wire, and the day-to-day life of a prestigious law firm from Suits (though this show was there first) and rolls it all into one jaw-droppingly phenomenal package.

And not only is the quality of the cast probably the best currently on TV (Alan Cumming/Nightcrawler as a slimy campaign manager based on Rahm Emanuel, Julianna Margulies as the titular Alicia Florrick, Josh Charles/Dan Rydell from Aaron Sorkin's SportsNight as a name partner of Alicia's new law firm, Broadway vet Christine Baranski as the other name partner), but the level at which its recurring guest cast is operating is just utterly, utterly bonkers:
  • Michael J. Fox as an evil lawyer who exploits his physical condition for judicial sympathy
  • Wallace Shawn (Vizzini, etc.) as a drug kingpin's "fixer"
  • Carrie Preston (Arlene from True Blood/Mrs. Michael Emerson/Ben Linus) as a gloriously harebrained rival attorney
  • Nathan Lane as a straitlaced accountant
  • Gary Cole as a Tea Party-following ballistics expert with a surprising taste in women
  • Titus Welliver (Smokey, etc) as a staunch political rival to Alicia's husband
  • Rita Wilson (Mrs. Tom Hanks) as a slimy rival attorney
  • F. Murray Abraham (Salieri) as another slimy rival lawyer
  • Stockard Channing
  • The great, underappreciated Tim Guinee (Sweet Land, Iron Man) as a stay-at-home dad who also happens to be an insanely driven private investigator
  • Scott Porter (Jason Street from FNL in a non-wheelchair role)
  • Chris Partlow from The Wire
  • Rawls from The Wire
  • Bodie from The Wire
  • Kima from The Wire
  • Carver from The Wire
  • Just, lots and lots and lots of people from The Wire, but who somehow never feel shoehorned in
  • Tons of people I'm forgetting

And then there's Kalinda. Trust me.

But the best part about this show is the ease with which it mixes comedy and drama. It's not a dramedy (and god, do I hate that word), but it's a drama that has no trouble turning into a comedy for a couple moments at a time, just to prove that it can. And boy, can it.

Like most shows, it takes a couple episodes for it to find its legs, but the payoff is huge. So stop not watching it.

hom3land

No need to feel guilty. It's a good show. It has its up and downs like all shows but it's overall a well done series.

Fantastic show. One of the few shows that managed to move on from it's initial (and titular) premise successfully. I'm really surprised it doesn't get higher ratings but I always put that down to being aired on a competitive day.

RJT

This show would be mentioned with some of the greats if it ran on HBO or AMC. Amazing show, and the "The West Wing meets The Wire meets Suits" is a perfect way to describe it. The acting talent involved in the show is ridiculous.

GAF, WATCH THIS SHOW!!!

Sloane

Banned
One of the best shows on TV right now, except for a certain storyline in the first half of season 4.

adg1034

I always hear Rush Limbaugh raving about this show. I've been meaning to check it out on Prime.

That's genuinely surprising, as its politics are definitely left-of-center.

People for whom Rush's recommendation would normally turn them off: don't let Rush's recommendation turn you off.

And this isn't exactly the season 5 thread, since there don't seem to be enough people on GAF who've watched through S4 to support a standalone S5 thread. Plus, there's enough great serialization and long-arc stories in seasons 1-4 that I don't want people to potentially get spoiled.

Fatalah

One of my favorite shows for sure!

Beware for new weekly watchers, your DVR recording will always get bumped due to Sunday night football.

Ok, so I live in Brazil and I bought the first season on DVD.

About 2/3 of the way through. Liking it a lot!

The cast is amazing, the scripts are nice and I find Alan Cumming's character really interesting.

I hope he stays fo awhile!

In fact, this shows does guest start casting freakishly well. Just good actors and actresses all around.

I wish Netflix had it. :(

Raxus

No need to feel guilty. It's a good show. It has its up and downs like all shows but it's overall a well done series.

Yep. If you are looking for good isolated goodness I recommend the 'Ham Sandwich' episodes and any military trial episodes. Probably the only show I watch on CBS aside from Ferguson.

Michael J. Fox as an evil lawyer who exploits his physical condition for judicial sympathy

He's not even evil. Just willing to use his leverage. I eagerly await his return once his show bombs.

The immediate supporting cast truly make this show great though. Alan Cumming and Archie Punjabi are typically amazing, and everyone else just fits so well. (Even Jeffrey Tambor as a judge! It works!)

Also, the real "DVR warning", at least on the east coast, is that frequently CBS loves to let The Amazing Race run 15-55 minutes late. So you basically want to pad your DVR recording by an hour.

Vyer

I watched a few episodes of the first season and thought it was much better than I would have expected. Really should try and catch up.

adg1034

He's not even evil. Just willing to use his leverage. I eagerly await his return once his show bombs.

The immediate supporting cast truly make this show great though. Alan Cumming and Archie Punjabi are typically amazing, and everyone else just fits so well. (Even Jeffrey Tambor as a judge! It works!)

Also, the real "DVR warning", at least on the east coast, is that frequently CBS loves to let The Amazing Race run 15-55 minutes late. So you basically want to pad your DVR recording by an hour.

True, he's not exactly evil, but he's absolutely not a good guy even outside his courtroom antics. And not that I want to see him and Betsy Brandt fail, but... yeah. He belongs on The Good Wife.

Tucah

you speak so well
I've been meaning to check this out for the longest time but never got around to it. I had no idea it was on Amazon Instant so now I have no excuse.

I've been meaning to check this out for the longest time but never got around to it. I had no idea it was on Amazon Instant so now I have no excuse.

No you don't. It really is flawless on so many levels.

The main cast is great. The guests are remarkable.

The only real stumble the series had was the first half of season 4, but they got back on track quickly enough.

No you don't. It really is flawless on so many levels.

The main cast is great. The guests are remarkable.

The only real stumble the series had was the first half of season 4, but they got back on track quickly enough.

eh, I hate the whole Blake and Kalinda drama more in season 2 but then again the payoff of that was great.

Huh, I haven't seen it but people I respect have raved about it. Good to see poor old network TV put out a quality show these days.

How about now? It is a miracle that the show wasn't canceled the last two seasons.

Its ratings would be great on any network other than CBS.
Already started my Buffy marathon (another show friends kept recommending). I would watch both shows concurrently, but I would rather just focus on one show at a time.

survivor

Banned
I'm almost done the first season, great series. Most of the characters are pretty damn good and as a bonus the court drama is still interesting.

I would just like to chime in and say that this show is indeed excellent. Much better than what I would have expected. If I hadn't come across it on the only tv channel I have at work I probably never would have given it a chance.

well there a new episode tonight
The Bit Bucket

Unaware that Lockhart/Gardner's communications are being monitored, Cary and Alicia sue the NSA on Chumhum's behalf; Alicia receives support from her mother; Eli tries to secure Diane's Supreme Court nomination

remember to spoiler all season 5 talk

]Also am I the only person who likes Peter more than Will?[/B] I love it when whenever Chris Noth goes all dark and serious.

nope, also prefer Peter more than Will. Will to me is just there, I really don't care what happen to him. The only time I found him intriguing was when his sisters came to visit him.

If this show were ever to end, I hope it end with Alicia sticking with Peter or choosing neither of them.

Season 5 spoiler

alright just watch the new episode. Ugh another federal investigation again, god there been so many of them in this show
god I wonder how embarrass the NSA going to be when they find out it was just a breakup
anyways look like bad time is coming to Will. And look like the new firm is going to happen soon or them being caught

Season 5 spoiler

alright just watch the new episode. Ugh another federal investigation again, god there been so many of them in this show
god I wonder how embarrass the NSA going to be when they find out it was just a breakup
anyways look like bad time is coming to Will. And look like the new firm is going to happen soon or them being caught

Just watched the episode. Great as usual, but I am concerned about the way it is going.

I really hope this NSA investigation into Alicia doesn't become a running theme. Two or three episodes is the most I can handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom