• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Good Wife |O|T| They didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloane

Banned
Huh, that does look a lot like Damages. Might just be the trailer but putting some distance between The Good Wife and this would be a good thing.

sammex

I'm not overly keen on the name. The Good Fight was the best they could come up with? Getting Elsbeth back is great though, they should try and make her a regular.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm not overly keen on the name. The Good Fight was the best they could come up with? Getting Elsbeth back is great though, they should try and make her a regular.

I like it. Sounds really strong in comparison. Makes it sound like we're going to see Diane taking on the kind of cases she had a reputation for in TGW but never really saw.

ZeroX03

Banned
There's some cast photos and story details out. They look basically like what TGW did.

the-good-fight-featured.jpg

Take The Good Wife, slap an R-rating on it, and — voila! — you’ve got The Good Fight. According to exec producer Robert King, while the spinoff will be “similar” to its sire in pacing, primacy of actors and writing,” and each episode will feature both “self-contained stories” and “a serialized element,” the digital-only offshoot “will be able to exploit the greater freedom of streaming — both in subject matter and in a more cinematic look.” (Translation: Christine Baranski’s Diane can cuss!) What’s more, The Good Fight “takes place in a post-Trump culture” where “Chicago liberals feel under assault,” King adds. The show is also “more of an ensemble” boasting three strong leads in Baranski, Cush Jumbo’s returning Lucca and Game of Thrones‘ Rose Leslie (as Diane’s lesbian goddaughter Maiai). Speaking of Diane and Lucca, is it fair to say some tension still exists between the pair in the wake of that infamous slap Diane leveled on her BFF Alicia? “It’s not an easy relationship, due to all the history,” King acknowledges. “And it definitely won’t be solved in the first episode.”
http://tvline.com/2017/01/06/the-good-fight-photos-season-1-preview-diane-lockhart/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why are the women just lying around? lol

Also I guess I'm interested in the first episode just to see how they write out/around Alicia.

ZeroX03

Banned
I like the trailer, but boy is that Madoff thing feeling late when Damages (and a handful of procedurals) did it very similarly seven years ago.

Also Trump plays into the show. His election came mid shooting of the first episode so they had to switcheroo some stuff. Needless to say that photo of Hillary in Diane's office has a different reading now.

Matthew Perry, Rita Wilson, Denis O'Hare, John Benjamin Hickey, Jane Alexander and Michael Boatman all coming back too. Shame Perry couldn't stick with TGW longer, his character was such a snake and his story seemed to get cut off quickly.

The showrunners apparently intend to make this into a commentary about contemporary politics, possibly more powerfully and directly about the Trump presidency (and what it means to liberals) than the Good Wife's more sedate commentary about the Obama years.

USA Today said:
The change of presidential administrations colors the series. While "The Good Wife was satire of liberal mindset: it was always about the Obama years," says co-creator Robert King.

The premiere episode was filmed in the week leading up to the election, and the outcome adds "a different resonance" to the new show, Baranski says, with parallels to "passing power from one generation to another."

But it's not merely anti-Trump: "It looks at how liberals are reacting, confusion between what's real and what's not real," King says.

http://usat.ly/2jlMFjP

Sloane

Banned
The showrunners apparently intend to make this into a commentary about contemporary politics, possibly more powerfully and directly about the Trump presidency (and what it means to liberals) than the Good Wife's more sedate commentary about the Obama years.
Meh. Someone should tell them nobody (I hope) watched The Good Wife for the shitty politics "storylines".

SaintZ

lol i did

It was some of the most interesting stuff with Diane and her husband AND all the work that got from Oliver Platt.

Also, Diane says "FUCK". Looks like I'm subscribing.
Oh well the Oliver Platt thing was interesting but I think it was because they didn't focus too much on it. I liked the political side of TGW during the first couple of years. Eli working on Peter's campaign was amusing to watch. Or Peter going against Matthew Perry's character. But aside from that I didn't care too much about it, specially during S6 with Alicia's campaign and its conclusion. The best thing out of that plot was Marissa lbr.

ZeroX03

Banned
TGW was always invested in how politics affected characters but never really the politics themselves. Everything involved with politics was half hearted and (especially in S6) overly serialized.

Diane and Kurt break up because he voted for Trump?

That'd make more sense than the infidelity plot line that seemed to pop up strictly to cause finale drama.

No thanks. No one gave a shit about the politics on TGW.

Oh, I liked it and I saw the show as fairly political. It's primarily a characterization of life as a politician or politician's wife, but also getting into other issues that became really prominent during the Obama administration (like NSA surveillance, the role of technology, feminism/sexism, racism, policing, civil liberties). It wasn't always an active commentary on politics but it was a consistent throughline. That being said, it was also a great law procedural with wonderful characters and interpersonal drama. :)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
lol i did

It was some of the most interesting stuff with Diane and her husband AND all the work that got from Oliver Platt.

Also, Diane says "FUCK". Looks like I'm subscribing.

I didn't hear a 'fuck'? Where was it?

You know nothing, Benjamin Birdie.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
When Lucca says she has a friend, was that an obtuse Alicia reference?

If they don't address the end of The Good Wife, I'd be left wondering why this needed to be a spinoff in the first place.

Any idea how to legitimately watch this show in Canada?

AFAIK CBS All Access is available in Canada so I get the impression they want you to buy that once it stops airing on network TV.

My feeling is that CBSAA will crash and burn, so maybe they allow CTV or somebody to carry it, but for now I think the plan is you have to pay for their subscription.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
AFAIK CBS All Access is available in Canada so I get the impression they want you to buy that once it stops airing on network TV.

My feeling is that CBSAA will crash and burn, so maybe they allow CTV or somebody to carry it, but for now I think the plan is you have to pay for their subscription.
That can;t be right because they pre-sold Star Trek to Bell for their online-only streaming service (and for their SyFy channel).

So its basically 2 Broke Girls plus Dianna rebooting Alicia? Bit of a weird spin on the show, you'd think more people would have wanted to see David or Cary or the crazy red head (not Ygritte) as the focus of a new show.

Star Trek got delayed from Jan 2017 to unknown (hasn't even started filming yet afaik, was originally supposed to start filming summer 2016) so might be one reason why this is getting pushed up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So its basically 2 Broke Girls plus Dianna rebooting Alicia? Bit of a weird spin on the show, you'd think more people would have wanted to see David or Cary or the crazy red head (not Ygritte) as the focus of a new show.

Star Trek got delayed from Jan 2017 to unknown (hasn't even started filming yet afaik, was originally supposed to start filming summer 2016) so might be one reason why this is getting pushed up.
Yeah, the Star Trek delay is why this is coming first. I'm just commenting on CBS Access being available in Canada, since CBS sold Star Trek to a Canadian content provider (which is annoying as hell because it's on Netflix literally everywhere else in the world)..

Kayhan

Diane was an OK character.

Lucca was a cardboard cutout.

Melissa LOOOOOOOOOOL WHY JESUS WHY

I guess I will watch the first episode of this new show at least. See what they do with it.

I still haven't finished watching the final season. It was such a mess early that I quit.

I was going to watch it finally this evening, but decided to read the wiki synopsis of the final episode. Edit: Watched parts of it... so bad.

WTF is that and how did the show become trash so quickly? I mean utter, complete, unmitigated trash with no redeeming value? Writers would have to be dumb as a bucket of shit to think that ending was acceptable.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I still haven't finished watching the final season. It was such a mess early that I quit.

I was going to watch it finally this evening, but decided to read the wiki synopsis of the final episode. Edit: Watched parts of it... so bad.

WTF is that and how did the show become trash so quickly? I mean utter, complete, unmitigated trash with no redeeming value? Writers would have to be dumb as a bucket of shit to think that ending was acceptable.

Now you can watch The Good Fight! lol

Yeah it's a sequel, but it might as well be a new show that happens to have two characters from this one.

Now you can watch The Good Fight! lol

Yeah it's a sequel, but it might as well be a new show that happens to have two characters from this one.

I have such a bad taste in my mouth from the final season that I don't really have a desire to do so.

I would want the sequel to fix the shit done to TGW, and from what I have heard it doesn't do that... so the show would just enrage me further.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have such a bad taste in my mouth from the final season that I don't really have a desire to do so.

I would want the sequel to fix the shit done to TGW, and from what I have heard it doesn't do that... so the show would just enrage me further.
It's fine for the most part. It just pretends Alicia never existed (outside of a few namedrops), so if you liked the trials that were on the main show, then you'll like this one.

It's too bad that the new character is terrible and makes you wish she'd just disappear so it'd just be the Lucca show. lol

ZeroX03

Banned

It fixes Diane getting screwed over in the finale. I mean she gets screwed over even harder from the financial scandal, but it's an actual plot point. Lucca is pretty well served too.

It's better than the last two seasons at the very least, and at times was up there with TGW's best seasons. Main problem is Maia's storylines not being compelling.

I just feel like most of the characters deserved some level of happily ever after at the end. Their lives didn't have to be perfect, but they should have been overall solid.

Instead I feel like ALL the characters were on a solid downward trend as far as their life situations starting in like... late season 5.

I may try The Good Fight eventually, but I am not sure. I actually really liked Alicia and Cary for the most part, and as much as Diane is awesome... I am not sure she alone could carry it.

ZeroX03

Banned
I just feel like most of the characters deserved some level of happily ever after at the end. Their lives didn't have to be perfect, but they should have been overall solid.

Instead I feel like ALL the characters were on a solid downward trend as far as their life situations starting in like... late season 5.[/B]

I dunno, if you ever should've expected happy endings from TGW. It was never that kind of show. The peripheral characters didn't really need to get hammered though.

I may try The Good Fight eventually, but I am not sure. I actually really liked Alicia and Cary for the most part, and as much as Diane is awesome... I am not sure she alone could carry it.

She doesn't need to carry the show? The show has three leads that get roughly the same amount of screentime, Diane, Lucca and Maia. Arguably Delroy Lindo's Adrian is one too.

I dunno, if you ever should've expected happy endings from TGW. It was never that kind of show. The peripheral characters didn't really need to get hammered though.

She doesn't need to carry the show? The show has three leads that get roughly the same amount of screentime, Diane, Lucca and Maia. Arguably Delroy Lindo's Adrian is one too.

I strongly disagree. The rise of Alicia was pretty much the core premise of the show.

She started off rock bottom, and for 6 seasons she steadily rose and prospered. There were setbacks yes, but always countered with even bigger gains.

The ending of the show spat in the face of the premise that carried it to seven seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom