• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Wii U UK sales spike 685% on Zelda launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So 885 copies then?

Jokes aside. Happy for them :3

I wouldn't be surprised if that's about 8000 up from 1000. Good for Nintendo, now it remains to be seen if they can maintain it.

EDIT - wait, an increase of 685% or 685% of last week's? I dunno. Possible wonky maths alert.

Nibel

Zeruda remake doing better than original IPs like W101

LLShC.gif

My memory might be failing me here but Zelda does what Pikmindon't..

It'll be harder to estimate units due to the Zelda bundle lacking Nintendoland (and not being tracked IIRC due to being digital*)

*-This makes me wonder what will happen with two-in-one disc Mario and Luigi, will that count towards both games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
more than 685%?

more than? That's a very specific number to then say 'more than'. More than 600% I can understand. More than 650% I'd give them a pass for. But more than 685%? Clearly it's less than 700% otherwise they'd be saying that. And probably less than 690% because they're happy with 5% measurements. So if it is between 685-689%, just say '685%'

DrWong

I'm wondering if it's doing the same impact in other more friendly Nintendo countries. It seems the game is doing well (relatively to the Wii U situation) in France, with a strong marketing push...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
more than 685%?

more than? That's a very specific number to then say 'more than'. More than 600% I can understand. More than 650% I'd give them a pass for. But more than 685%? Clearly it's less than 700% otherwise they'd be saying that. And probably less than 690% because they're happy with 5% measurements. So if it is between 685-689%, just say '685%'

but that wouldn't be accurate and these guys like to be accurate.

TheMink

more than 685%?

10/10

It is new, for me anyway. This my first Wind Waker experience.
Just because you've never played it before till now, it doesn't make it new. That's ridiculous. That's like saying people watching the original Star Wars trilogy now for the first time makes them new movies.

No unit number provided by Nintendo renders the % figure meaningless and suggests that the actual unit number sold isn't all that impressive.

Though it's baffling to me that such a seriously overpriced port as Wind Waker could cause any kind of sales spike, no matter how small it may or may not be.

Ty4on

more than 685%?

They probably just know it isn't less than 685% :p

PetrCobra

Well, Nintendo, now's the time to properly advertise your older games to these people who just bought your console for one game.
Edit: maybe some 3rd party games as well, to show them how it works.

BlackJace

No unit number provided by Nintendo renders the % figure meaningless and suggests that the actual unit number sold isn't all that impressive.

Though it's baffling to me that such a seriously overpriced port as Wind Waker could cause any kind of sales spike, no matter how small it may or may not be.

What if, and this is just a guess, value is subjective?

szaromir

Banned
more than 685%?

If you sell 10 consoles one week and 79 the following week, selling more than 685% more consoles sounds impressive.

daakusedo

The game seems to do well but by sharing tingle bottles, I saw lot of people on miiverse with this as their first game or the next one bought after nintendoland and nsmbu, my poor pikmin and wonder red...

Haunted

In before an entire thread filled with terrible Wii U jokes.
You're post #13, so you already missed 11 of them.

That said, everyone knows percentage improvements are what marketers use when the actual numbers aren't all that impressive. Sadly.

AHA-Lambda

That info means practically nothing by itself, but if the percentage increase is that large (equates to around an 8x increase) it shows how bad it was before this.

My memory might be failing me here but Zelda does what Pikmindon't..

It'll be harder to estimate units due to the Zelda bundle lacking Nintendoland (and not being tracked IIRC due to being digital*)

*-This makes me wonder what will happen with two-in-one disc Mario and Luigi, will that count towards both games.

so digital games at retail don't count for the charts? hmmm so Zelda should possibly have had a higher position then

Into

You use percentages when actual sales are not all that impressive, its PR 101.

I hope this is start of something for them though.

That's a pretty decent bump actually... if sales the week prior were anything above 1000 units. But seeing as we don't know just how badly it was selling prior, it's hard to gauge. I mean if Nintendo had only sold 300 units the week before than this would only mean just over 2000 sold. Which isn't anything to shout about. However, if it was in the 1000s (which I'd be hard pressed to imagine), then you could be looking at 5 digit figures, which would be great.

Shahed

Unsurprising. Well according to my anectodal evidence though.

With the exception of myself, literally no I know is even remotely interested in the Wii U, and tell me I'm silly for saying I'll buy one considering the Wii. With the recent WWHD adverts on TV and the like, a few are saying they wished they could play it now. My sister asked if she could borrow my Wii U at some point when I get one! Even my brother was hovering over the aisles at Tesco the other day

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Amount of GAFers who said they just got a Wii U compared to the last 9 months grew more than 685%, so I believe in this news.

Alx

more than 685%?

They're probably reasoning on incomplete numbers. The sales number they have probably amount to a 685% increase, but since they don't cover the whole UK market they only know that it sold more than that.

hoserx

You guys are all really clever. I just want to say that NeoGaf is really the epicenter of humor. You should all do stand up, or at least have a sitcom based on your lives. The things you all come up with are original, and timeless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom