• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Wii U UK sales spike 685% on Zelda launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadareud

The Translator
You guys are all really clever. I just want to say that NeoGaf is really the epicenter of humor. You should all do stand up, or at least have a sitcom based on your lives. The things you all come up with are original, and timeless!

heh

Ravek

Banned
more than 685%?

more than? That's a very specific number to then say 'more than'. More than 600% I can understand. More than 650% I'd give them a pass for. But more than 685%? Clearly it's less than 700% otherwise they'd be saying that. And probably less than 690% because they're happy with 5% measurements. So if it is between 685-689%, just say '685%'

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Darryl

Banned
more than 685%?

more than? That's a very specific number to then say 'more than'. More than 600% I can understand. More than 650% I'd give them a pass for. But more than 685%? Clearly it's less than 700% otherwise they'd be saying that. And probably less than 690% because they're happy with 5% measurements. So if it is between 685-689%, just say '685%'

they probably only have a way of tracking sales from certain outlets but are also aware that the zelda release boost would increase wii u sales on outlets they can't get data on, so the 685% could be accurate for what they can guarantee

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I still don't get what's the satisfaction in trashing the Wii U threads. Wii U it's obviously not a menace to your favorite console that will sell gazillions of units on the launch day, so what's the point?

I understand a little the guys that bought a Vita, though. But they should rather enjoy their nice handheld, as I'm enjoying my Wii U.

hoserx

I still don't get what's the satisfaction in trashing the Wii U threads. Wii U it's obviously not a menace to your favorite console that will sell gazillions of units on the launch day, so what's the point?

As Randall said, "there's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others"

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Now, coming to the topic. I guess we are talking about 500-1000 consoles sold per week before Zelda WW HD bundle, right? So that means between 3500 and 7000 consoles last week. The question is if it will stabilize somewhere around 2000-4000 or it will go back to the previous levels?
There are new bundles coming up quite soon: LCU and the three newly announced ones so that should actually help keeping and maybe amplifying the momentum.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I never played WW. I have the GC game for, the Wii but I didn't want to play it in SD after seeing those Dolphin screenshots and I couldn't get Dolphin to run WW without the sound breaking up. So yes, WW HD was for me a system seller. And I'm actually pleased with the Wii because it's a fun experience and WW HD looks stunning. (I'm not a traditional Nintendo fan BTW. My preferred systems are PS3 and PC)

ymmv

Bizazedo

they probably only have a way of tracking sales from certain outlets but are also aware that the zelda release boost would increase wii u sales on outlets they can't get data on, so the 685% could be accurate for what they can guarantee

I've wondered that too. Only thing I can think of is it's due to the fanatical fans that go so far as to say the average gamer who goes for Nintendo is smarter.

Gotta keep that kind of stuff in check, etc.

blazeuk

Considering how terrible the sales have been, this would mean it's only a few thousand, which is still terrible.

That doesn't change the fact that it's an improvement, sales may still not be great, but at least releasing games people are interested in is having a positive effect. It would be far worse for Nintendo if their sales remained the same.

MDX

However you want to paint this news, its still a spike in sales.
If this translates to positive news for retailers and developers, then
that is what is important. Its about continually creating spikes
with first party games during the next few months to hopefully
place the WiiU into more healthy monthly sales.

Aiii

So not worth it
In related news from The Netherlands:

De Wii U was afgelopen week de best verkopende console binnen winkelketen Game Mania.

Dat meldt Game Mania's Tom Henderikx bij navraag aan Gamer.nl, nadat het een persbericht uitstuurde met dit heuglijke nieuws. De Wii U verkocht uiteindelijk twintig keer beter dan in de weken ervoor. Dat is volgens Game Mania te danken aan de release van The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD. De prijsverlaging van Premium-bundels met zo'n vijftig euro hielp ook.

http://www.insidegamer.nl/nieuws/107545/wii-u-doet-het-goed-bij-game-mania

Dutch retailer GameMania have sold 20 times as many Wii U's last week then in the week before. According to Game Mania, due to Zelda and the price going doing 50 Euro.

MIlky1985

Banned
Congrats to the 157 new Wii U owners

I like this one the best out of all of the troll posts, for the simple reason that you would have to forgo basic maths for the numbers to work, but they didn't do the normal "1 new owner" stuff.

Shouldn't have expect anything else however out of a positive Nintendo news thread :/

Darksol

685% increase from absolute crap to relatively crap is still crap.

If they can keep this spike up for more than a few weeks, I'd be surprised. In other words, this is better than nothing, but I don't see it sparking any recovery for Nintendo (although I really, really, really would like to be wrong on this).

MDX

In related news from The Netherlands:

Dutch retailer GameMania have sold 20 times as many Wii U's last week then in the week before. According to Game Mania, due to Zelda and the price going doing 50 Euro.

Well it says more than that, doesnt it?
Doesnt it state it was the best selling console?

I like this one the best out of all of the troll posts, for the simple reason that you would have to forgo basic maths for the numbers to work, but they didn't do the normal "1 new owner" stuff.

Shouldn't have expect anything else however out of a positive Nintendo news thread :/

I was one of the new adopters on the Zelda bundle and this is the first time I've read a Wii U thread since back when it was announced. I had no idea these threads were full of so much negativity.

I'm glad to see the spike in sales. I know HD Wind Waker helped push me over the edge, but the new Firmware update allowing audio and video to be output separately and the price cut really helped. Not to mention the trickling Smash Bros news has been slowly eroding my patience. I am shocked at how much I enjoy the gamepad as a controller. Just wish it had better rumble.

Aiii

So not worth it
Well it says more than that, doesnt it?
Doesnt it state it was the best selling console?

It does say that, but with the PS4 releasing in a month and the Xbone releasing early next year, I don't think PS3 and 360 sales are any way to measure Wii U sales right now.

Darksol

Maybe in one country, but if many countries are having these spikes, it adds up.

I agree. But I suspect all we'll see is a global increase that lasts until the end of October and then drops off. I want to be wrong though.

jblank83

Zeruda remake doing better than original IPs like W101

LLShC.gif

WW HD is good, but W101 is a masterwork. However, people are unwilling to take a $60 risk on an unknown quantity. Publishers aren't solely to blame for yet another CoD, yet another NSMB, yet another FF. Sales of games like W101 and Little King's Story are part of the reason we don't get as much variety in the industry.

The lack of interest in exploring new different games bums me out. IMO. When you have access to all these games, II don't see any reason to limit the types of games you play. It's like if you read books and said "I'm only going to read spy thrillers by John Grisham, nothing else."

Open up your mind. Try something different.

qq more

Now if they keep up a constant release of games, the Wii U's momentum should be pretty decent at least. The holidays now seems pretty good for the console. The question is if next year will have a constant flow of games... because seriously this year was really barren up until now.

qko

685% increase from absolute crap to relatively crap is still crap.

If they can keep this spike up for more than a few weeks, I'd be surprised. In other words, this is better than nothing, but I don't see it sparking any recovery for Nintendo (although I really, really, really would like to be wrong on this).

So the Wii U is just never allowed to ever sell well and because you have decreed it's a failure it will never ever see any sort of success? Gotcha. I'll keep that in mind.

The reason Nintedo is trying to unleash a bunch of their games from here on to March is to try and stabilize sales if Wii U. It seems like any indication of a normalization I sales is going to be met with statements like "600% increase mean they just sold 600 units lolzzzzzz herpderpherp.

MDX

It does say that, but with the PS3 releasing in a month and the Xbone releasing early next year, I don't think PS3 and 360 sales are any way to measure Wii U sales right now.

Considering the games people can still get buy for those two older consoles,
and the launch prices for the two new consoles, I wouldn't count them out.
By the way, what Tier is Netherlands in?

I agree. But I suspect all we'll see is a global increase that lasts until the end of October and then drops off. I want to be wrong though.

Its up to Sonic and Deus Ex to keep things going. I expect the overall sales will drop, but hopefully not back to where they were.

edit to add:
Its a shame DKCR wont be there for November, but maybe Nintendo gave 3rd parties a window in November to sell
their stuff.

The reason Nintedo is trying to unleash a bunch of their games from here on to March is to try and stabilize sales if Wii U..

no the reason is that its the holiday season and every game company "unleashes" their big games at this time.

Aiii

So not worth it

Tier Delayed.

That isn't what 685% means. If you sell 1 unit one week and 7 units the next week, your sales have gone up by 600%.

Obviously, but the only way to get an increase of exactly 685% would be from at least 100. 1 to 8 is 700% increase, 10 to 79 is 690%, thus it had to have sold at least 100 to get to 2 decimal places, so he's not wrong.

Hiltz

Did Wind Waker even get a TV ad in the UK? It didn't in the US, which is just odd if Nintendo doesn't want to help communicate the Wii U price cut, Zelda bundles, and Wind Waker being an improved version of the original.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Its up to Sonic and Deus Ex to keep things going. I expect the overall sales will drop, but hopefully not back to where they were.

edit to add:
Its a shame DKCR wont be there for November, but maybe Nintendo gave 3rd parties a window in November to sell
their stuff.

Their hope is on Sonic, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U, Wii Sports Club, Sonic & Mario at the Olympics and Mario 3d (which is the November release, DKC was already moved to December) to keep up the momentum. They have one new bundle in October (LCU) and 3 new bundles (1 per week) in November. The big 3rd party hits are also end October-end November. Everything seems well planned to keep the sales coming and avoid the drops. Let's see how it works.

Verendus

Banned
That doesn't change the fact that it's an improvement, sales may still not be great, but at least releasing games people are interested in is having a positive effect. It would be far worse for Nintendo if their sales remained the same.
An improvement which still leaves it in a terrible position. The improvement is that insignificant. Saying it's 685% means something until you realise the actual numbers will show it's still a dead console.

Sakura

I know we went from selling 0~1 Wii U a week at my local Walmart, to selling out all of our WWHD bundles, so hopefully here in NA the Wii U has done good this month too.

Their hope is on Sonic, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U, Wii Sports Club, Sonic & Mario at the Olympics and Mario 3d (which is the November release, DKC was already moved to December) to keep up the momentum. They have one new bundle in October (LCU) and 3 new bundles (1 per week) in November. The big 3rd party hits are also end October-end November. Everything seems well planned to keep the sales coming and avoid the drops. Let's see how it works.

Momentum? What momentum? They have as much momentum as Vita does.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
An improvement which still leaves it in a terrible position. The improvement is that insignificant. Saying it's 685% means something until you realise the actual numbers will show it's still a dead console.

I feel like you should have to disclose who you work for when making these types of posts.

You guys are all really clever. I just want to say that NeoGaf is really the epicenter of humor. You should all do stand up, or at least have a sitcom based on your lives. The things you all come up with are original, and timeless!

Were you one of those 685 new Wii U owners?

Indeed! The insolence!
We need more "lol, Wii U" threads.

Some of it can probably be chalked up to trolling, sure. But some of it is that I do think there's reason to temper expectations here. Whether or not I make a dumb joke about this kind of percentage increase from a low number still yielding a low number or not, it is worth noting that it's hard to gauge how positive this news is. It's certainly not bad news, obviously. But I also don't think it's time to pop open the champagne bottles if you've been eagerly awaiting the Wii U turnaround (not saying anybody is interpreting this news that positively).

So, the short of it is that this kind of news with a lack of substantive data to discuss will predictably lead to the usual talking points being thrown out by either side.

Sneds

Obviously, but the only way to get an increase of exactly 685% would be from at least 100. 1 to 8 is 700% increase, 10 to 79 is 690%, thus it had to have sold at least 100 to get to 2 decimal places, so he's not wrong.

You say obviously yet I get the impression that many people in this thread didn't grasp how the percentages worked and were thinking that 685% meant 685x as many sales.

Anyway, I agree that Nintendo will have sold more than 685 consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom