• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Wii U UK sales spike 685% on Zelda launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taker666

Considering how little Wii U and Wind Waker has been advertised in the UK.. I doubt it means much. I saw 1 ad on daytime tv and that was it. Ocarina 3DS was all over the place in comparison.

Come to think of it I've not seen 1 tv ad for the 2DS or Pokemon X/Y in the UK yet.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Zelda ww hd system seller confirmed as they planned in the west. Probably still low but good to sef a positive sign

NolbertoS

My gf helped when she bought her Zelda Wii U Bundle. Not sure what the NPD numbers were for UK region before, but thats mighty impressive and sad too, as Nintendo needs like usual, a first party game to sell consoles

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm curious how this breaks down.

Is Zelda selling to people that have never played Wind Waker, and somehow a 10 year old remake is selling them on a new console, or is this selling to Nintendo fans? If the latter, wouldn't they have already bought in from Pikmin 3, or Nintendoland?

or is this just hitting the point of critical mass? Enough quality Nintendo games for reasonable people to consider it worthwhile jumping onboard?

dc89

The game is amazing. It's just beautiful to to look at and a joy to play again after all those years.

mui

Neo Member
Well, Zelda is actually a good game.

tumblr_mkwj1rPCeD1sn5kjuo1_400.gif

chadboban

Like a lot of other folks have been saying, this doesn't really mean much without sales prior to wind waker's launch. As far as we know Wii U sales in the UK have been pretty terrible thus far, however an increase is still an increase so Nintendo must at least be somewhat happy about that.

Is Zelda selling to people that have never played Wind Waker, and somehow a 10 year old remake is selling them on a new console, or is this selling to Nintendo fans? If the latter, wouldn't they have already bought in from Pikmin 3, or Nintendoland?

or is this just hitting the point of critical mass? Enough quality Nintendo games for reasonable people to consider it worthwhile jumping onboard?

I'll buy a Wii U solely for Windu Waika HD.
And for Majora's Mask Remake

Davey Cakes

I'm certain the hard number is far less impressive though.
An increase is an increase. If a remake can spike sales a bit, maybe Nintendo's other first party titles can collectively spike the console to mildly respectable numbers over the next year.

The Wii U will never replicate the Wii and it may barely hit Gamecube levels. No problem admitting that (for now). But, as long as it's able to survive then all of us Nintendo fans can continue to enjoy quality Nintendo console games and that's why we can afford to enjoy the good news.

ymmv

Banned

I never played WW. I have the GC game for, the Wii but I didn't want to play it in SD after seeing those Dolphin screenshots and I couldn't get Dolphin to run WW without the sound breaking up. So yes, WW HD was for me a system seller. And I'm actually pleased with the Wii because it's a fun experience and WW HD looks stunning. (I'm not a traditional Nintendo fan BTW. My preferred systems are PS3 and PC)

CTLance

A seven-fold increase is quite nice on paper, even if it's meaningless without discrete unit numbers. Looking forward to the actual sales numbers, if we ever get them. Lurking in SalesAge is fun.

Shuddup, Nintendo will give a proper remake to the best 3D Zelda, and not a sub-par one like OoT 3DS.

Nope they'll do the easiest option with the most profit. And that be MM3D. I'll be playing it by the end of 2015, mark my words :)

And dude, they already remade the best Zelda. Wind Waker HD is now available in all good retailers.

That actually suggests the situation is very dire for Nintendo...

Not that dire imo. The sales spike shows that the system at it's core isn't a failure or a concept consumers are rejecting, it's just that none of the games people buy Nintendo systems for are available on the console. When one of them does come out, even if it's just an HD remake, people come out of the woodwork to pick it up.

Not saying Ninty is going to go back to Wii numbers, but they'll do respectable once they actually bother to put out the games and series that they know people actually want.

Not that dire imo. The sales spike shows that the system at it's core isn't a failure or a concept consumers are rejecting, it's just that none of the games people buy Nintendo systems for are available on the console. When one of them does come out, even if it's just an HD remake, people come out of the woodwork to pick it up.

Not saying Ninty is going to go back to Wii numbers, but they'll do respectable once they actually bother to put out the games and series that they know people actually want.

Out of the woodwork? These numbers are still bad.

havokt

To find some kind of base number couldn't we take last weeks UK sales of the top 40. If I am not mistaken the chart counts every Nintendo Land sold in a WiiU (which is outside the top 40). So if we can find the lowest hard number in the top 40 it could atleast give us some idea? Sorry if I am wrong based on this idea.

Shahed

If an HD port of Zelda can do this, I wonder what a full fledged title would do? I'm really looking forward to the next Zelda despite being burned by Skyward Sword (or possible because I was burned?).

Probably 2-3 years minumum for the next Zelda title right?

Taker666

Very eager to see the 3D World numbers. Think those will seal the consoles fate either way.

Well it's certainly their key title for this holday ...

...but unless "Cat Mario" is something that really makes female consumers "squee".....then I don't see it having the required impact.

Mario Kart 8 is the key going forward..and may well hit at a time when PS4/Xbone hype has started to diminish. If that doesn't sell hardware then nothing will. It's a massive franchise, it has a great gimmick for marketing with the anti grav, it's visually stunning..and hopefully they might shave off another $50 from the hardware when it launches so the Wii U will be at a more mass market price.

They have the game to sell the system...it all comes down to how badly Nintendo messes up the marketing.

Clearing out that launch stock.

Also, Zelda is better than Wonderful QTE.

so one incredible game is better than another incredible game, ok and good of you to point out the QTEs in w101 not normally the biggest fan of them but they are fantastic and insane in it aren't they, you must agree
mash to protect earth was hilarious

The_Lump

Banned

...but unless "Cat Mario" is something that really makes female consumers "squee".....then I don't see it having the required impact.

Mario Kart 8 is the key. If that doesn't sell hardware then nothing will. It's a massive franchise, it has a great gimmick for marketing with the anti grav, it's visually stunning..and hopefully they might shave off another $50 from the hardware when it launches so the Wii U will be at a more mass market price.

They have the game to sell the system...it all comes down to how badly Nintendo messes up the marketing.

So it really is doomed :(
lol

To find some kind of base number couldn't we take last weeks UK sales of the top 40. If I am not mistaken the chart counts every Nintendo Land sold in a WiiU (which is outside the top 40). So if we can find the lowest hard number in the top 40 it could atleast give us some idea? Sorry if I am wrong based on this idea.

nintendoland is available separately and not every wii u includes nintendoland, there's the basic pack and also probably some zombie u packs and monster hunter packs floating around still

Mario Kart 8 is the key going forward..and may well hit at a time when PS4/Xbone hype has started to diminish. If that doesn't sell hardware then nothing will. It's a massive franchise, it has a great gimmick for marketing with the anti grav, it's visually stunning..and hopefully they might shave off another $50 from the hardware when it launches so the Wii U will be at a more mass market price.

The 3DS was in a very rough patch before a price cut and 3D Land came along. It's exactly the sort of game that made Nintendo what they are in the first place.

havokt

nintendoland is available separately and not every wii u includes nintendoland, there's the basic pack and also probably some zombie u packs and monster hunter packs floating around still

Ahh ok thanks for the information. I was unaware the basic pack was still available in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom