• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Wii U UK sales spike 685% on Zelda launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably around 10,218 units.

That's what I'm thinking as well (I'm thinking optimistically here). I wish I could get access to Nintendo's confidential databases to know for sure, but that's unfortunately out of my reach.

You use percentages when actual sales are not all that impressive, its PR 101.

I hope this is start of something for them though.

Exactly. The real question is how many weeks they can maintain that 685% spike. If sales come crashing down right afterwards, the bundle ends up being a bit of a flop for Nintendo.

ASIS

An improvement which still leaves it in a terrible position. The improvement is that insignificant. Saying it's 685% means something until you realise the actual numbers will show it's still a dead console.

The improvement also means that there is still a market for the Wii U. If a remake did that much of a difference, then new titles could do even more.

There are two ways to think about this:

1) an improvement of terrible could still be terrible (in this case, it is)

2) the increase is a sign that, contrary to popular belief, there is still a future for the Wii U.

Honestly, outselling every game in the market outside of Fifa and GTA is a very good sign. And that, is in no way terrible.

hoserx

Were you one of those 685 new Wii U owners?

Nope, I got mine at launch. Another clever line though! I see what you're saying... the Wii U hasn't sold a lot........ it took me a minute to peel back the layers from your sarcasm to get to the real message. That's the sign of a true satirist!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
are the wiiu sales going to magically become less abysmal if he does?

Well my personal opinion is that these sales are probably even more meaningless than you think they are. This market is most likely a lost cause for Nintendo. NPD numbers will be a lot more interesting IMO.

Well my personal opinion is that these sales are probably even more meaningless than you think they are. This market is most likely a lost cause for Nintendo. NPD numbers will be a lot more interesting IMO.

We got French monthly Wii U numbers a couple of months back. Let's assume the French market is equivalent to the UK market for the Wii U (I realize the UK market is smaller for Nintendo hardware, but let's just operate under this assumption).

In June 2013 the Wii U sold 3,242 in France, or ~811 consoles every week. So, a 685% increase on ~811 consoles would be ~5,555 sold in one week.

Extremely optimistically the Wii U sold ~10,000 consoles.last week in the UK.

However, it's more likely the Wii U sold ~5,000 consoles.

The improvement also means that there is still a market for the Wii U. If a remake did that much of a difference, then new titles could do even more.

2) the increase is a sign that, contrary to popular belief, there is still a future for the Wii U.

Honestly, outselling every game in the market outside of Fifa and GTA is a very good sign. And that, is in no way terrible.

what we don't know is how much sales dropped in the preceding weeks witth people waiting for the new lower price bundle.

eg if it was selling 1500 a week 3 weeks ago then dropped to 500 a week before the bundle before coming back up to 3k a week that isn't as big of a boost as 600% would indicate

some people in the media create threads are speculating that the falling wiiu sales there are a result of upcoming bundles and they are weeks away and don't even come with a price cut.

Sneds

I don't get this joke, honestly I don't.

If the 685% increase resulted in 685 sales, how much do you really think last week's sales are?

It's a misunderstanding of how percentage increases work. They're implying that the Wii U sold one unit the week before so (in their minds) a 685% increase means that Nintendo sold 685 consoles this week.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In June 2013 the Wii U sold 3,242 in France, or ~811 consoles every week. So, a 685% increase on ~811 consoles would be ~5,555 sold in one week.

June was the last drought month and probably one of the worst sales month. But I think too that it is somewhere between 4000 and 10000 probably. 10000 would be already a hit.

ASIS

what we don't know is how much sales dropped in the preceding weeks witth people waiting for the new lower price bundle.

eg if it was selling 1500 a week 3 weeks ago then dropped to 500 a week before the bundle before coming back up to 3k a week that isn't as big of a boost as 600% would indicate

some people in the media create threads are speculating that the falling wiiu sales there are a result of upcoming bundles and they are weeks away and don't even come with a price cut.

This is the kind of speculation I would like to see. You raise a very good point, how much of this increase was due to Zelda, and how much of it was due to the bundles. Moreover, how much awareness did any of the choices raise concerning the Wii U?

...When are we going to get the numbers?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
This thread is depressing. Is the average gaffers really this clueless how percentages work?

PetrCobra

It's a misunderstanding of how percentage increases work. They're implying that the Wii U sold one unit the week before so (in their minds) a 685% increase means that Nintendo sold 685 consoles this week.

Yeah, people without elementary school education who try to ridicule something/someone else. It's hard not to feel pity for them.

June was the last drought month and probably one of the worst sales month. But I think too that it is somewhere between 4000 and 10000 probably. 10000 would be already a hit.

That's why I used France during a drought period as a comparison, because it seems roughly proportional to how sales might be in the UK at the moment.

Nope, I got mine at launch. Another clever line though! I see what you're saying... the Wii U hasn't sold a lot........ it took me a minute to peel back the layers from your sarcasm to get to the real message. That's the sign of a true satirist!

I'm sorry. I know the pain of being a Wii U launch owner. It truly is a weight that most cannot bare to carry.

Mr_B_Fett

Did Wind Waker even get a TV ad in the UK? It didn't in the US, which is just odd if Nintendo doesn't want to help communicate the Wii U price cut, Zelda bundles, and Wind Waker being an improved version of the original.

Yes it had some in the UK, including one during the champions league football half time slot.

This thread is depressing. Is the average gaffers really this clueless how percentages work?

I blame the lazy maths teachers.

Verendus

Banned

Considering how much of a gap there can be in sales between the chart positions in the UK, I don't really take it as a sign of anything. It could have sold 6,000 copies for all we know. No one is going to argue that's good. Also the future for Wii U is essentially a niche space. This kind of weak improvement doesn't change that. Especially not with a week's worth of data.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If Wii U sales don't pick up, the doom and gloom will stick until it slowly dies. Boring. If Wii U does come back though, it will be the most beautiful thing to watch on this board. I'm cheering for this 2nd scenario :) The 180° Mario 3D World pulled was the beginning of great things to come. Believe.

Elios83

685% tells more about how low sales were before than how high the sales spiked.
Still an improvement is always welcome.

hoserx

I'm sorry. I know the pain of being a Wii U launch owner. It truly is a weight that most cannot bare to carry.

Yes, I struggled through ZombiU, NSMBU, Black Ops 2, ME3, MH3U, and Nintendoland for months. I managed to survive, though! (Plus, you may want to work on your homophones)

Timeaisis

If the Wii U had 2000% increase in sales, you guys would still make jokes about it.

Sure a projected 10K units still isn't anything amazing, but it's something. Signs of improvement are good. I hope they keep up the momentum.

Asd202

If Wii U sales don't pick up, the doom and gloom will stick until it slowly dies. Boring. If Wii U does come back though, it will be the most beautiful thing to watch on this board. I'm cheering for this 2nd scenario :) The 180° Mario 3D World pulled was the beginning of great things to come. Believe.

If by Wii U coming back you mean reaching GC number then yes it may happen I wouldn't count on it though.

69wpm

Wow, Jesus Christ, you're right, seems like everybody in here fell asleep during math class.

I'll give you guys a tip: If you increase your sales by 100 percent, you've doubled your sales. Now go figure out what a sales increase by 685% means.

Timeaisis

Man, you guys really don't understand how percent increase works, do you?

From 1 to 685 would be 68400%. If ya'll gonna mock something, at least do your math right.

ASIS

Considering how much of a gap there can be in sales between the chart positions in the UK, I don't really take it as a sign of anything. It could have sold 6,000 copies for all we know. No one is going to argue that's good. Also the future for Wii U is essentially a niche space. This kind of weak improvement doesn't change that. Especially not with a week's worth of data.

Again, taking the lump sum amount is only one way to look at it. For the lot of people in here, they see it as a room for growth into a healthy, if niche, product. This is the second time a first-party Wii U title charts in the top 10. If Nintendo can keep the momentum going then the Wii U could potentially see a good future. Not with the WW, not with Pikmin 3, not even with 3D World, but together they could do something.

Finally, concerning the charts, you're right, it can be any number. But comparatively it did well. If, for instance, WW's number turns out abysmal, then the entire UK software sales are abysmal outside of two titles, something tells me that is not the case.

EDIT: There is also the scenario which pieatorium proposed, in which the bundles actually caused the increase, or at least helped in it. If that argument becomes valid then there are other aspects to analyze. It is all too early to say, nothing is set on stone, all we are doing right now is projecting a possible trend, nothing more really.

Hiltz

Do people remember how Wii U sales rose by 875% on Amazon UK back in late May? This happened right after Xbox One's unveiling. Wii U went from rank 390th to 40th place on the chart. It even went up to 11th place afterwards (a 220% increase).Any sales boost is good for Wii U, but it obviously isn't enough. Nintendo needs to keep the momentum.

idlewild_

I like this one the best out of all of the troll posts, for the simple reason that you would have to forgo basic maths for the numbers to work, but they didn't do the normal "1 new owner" stuff.

Shouldn't have expect anything else however out of a positive Nintendo news thread :/

Actually, if the number is 685% increase over last week (i.e. 785% of last week's value,) and not increase to 685%, then the previous week's number would work out to an even 20. So, if anything, this was one of the only posts in the thread that had any basic math involved, lol.

Vagabundo

They need to keep pumping out software to keep (start) some momentum. Not sure if their release schedule until the end of the year has it in it. Still its a start.

Verendus

Banned
Again, taking the lump sum amount is only one way to look at it. For the lot of people in here, they see it as a room for growth into a healthy, if niche, product. This is the second time a first-party Wii U title charts in the top 10. If Nintendo can keep the momentum going then the Wii U could potentially see a good future. Not with the WW, not with Pikmin 3, not even with 3D World, but together they could do something.

Finally, concerning the charts, you're right, it can be any number. But comparatively it did well. If, for instance, WW's number turns out abysmal, then the entire UK software sales are abysmal outside of two titles, something tells me that is not the case.

EDIT: There is also the scenario which pieatorium proposed, in which the bundles actually caused the increase, or at least helped in it. If that argument becomes valid then there are other aspects to analyze. It is all too early to say, nothing is set on stone, all we are doing right now is projecting a possible trend, nothing more really.
Pretty much most of the UK sales chart titles do have abysmal numbers outside of a couple. That's been the common trend for a long time now.

DrWong

So that's like what?... 686 units?

;]

bonnet-039-ane_0258000000040180.jpg

Seik

Banned
Am I getting old or all that cynicism and negativity is just boring. It's always the same fucking jokes. :/

Hypereides

Gold Member
I guess you dudes didn't detect the sarcasm.... or you're kinda sensitive at me poking fun at wildly inflated sales percentages. Either way it's your deal guys. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom