• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface 2 and Pro 2 |OT| Lap it up

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Welcome to the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 thread. A big thanks to Strata8 for letting me reuse his banners from the Surface OT. It also follows his layout, so thank him for the nice OT.

HbYjmQe.jpg

Ges6AEY.jpg

Edit- MS has bumped up the specs:

Seems Microsoft are quietly bumping the Surface Pro 2 up from the i5-4200U to the i5-4300U

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-quietly-updates-surface-pro-2-slightly-improved-cpu

reviewslabel.png

Anandtech: SP2. S2.
Cnet: SP2. S2.
Digital Spy: SP2.
Gizmodo: S2. SP2.
Next Web: SP2.
Pocket Lint: S2.
Techcrunch: Both.
The Guardian: S2.
Verge: SP2. S2.
Wired: Both.

releaselabel.png

Launch date and countries:

October 22 in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States.

Surface 2
32GB/2GB of Ram $449/£359
64GB/2GB of Ram $549/£439

Surface Pro 2
64GB/4GB of Ram $899/£719
128GB/4GB of Ram $999/£799
256GB/8GB of Ram $1,299/£1,039
512GB/8GB of Ram $1,799/£1,439

Every Surface Pro 2 option comes with a Surface pen.
Every Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 includes 200 GB of SkyDrive storage, and unlimited Skype minutes.

speclabel.png

Surface 2

• Screen: 10.6 in ClearType Full HD (1920 x 1080)
  • Processor: nVidia Tegra 4
  • Dimensions: 10.81 x 6.79 x 0.35 in
  • Weight: 1.49 lbs
  • Storage: 32/64 GB
  • Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi 802.11, USB 3.0, micro-SD expansion (up to 64GB), HD video-out port
  • Battery: Up to 10 hours
  • Casing: VaporMg
  • Color: Magnesium
  • Two video cameras(front 3.5mp and back 5.0mp)
  • Two microphones
  • Stereo speakers

Surface Pro 2

• Screen: 10.6 in ClearType Full HD (1920 x 1080)
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 (Haswell)
  • Dimensions: 10.81 x 6.81 x 0.53 in
  • GPU: Intel HD 4400
  • Weight: 2 lbs
  • Storage: 64/128/256/512 GB
  • Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi 802.11, USB 3.0, micro-SD expansion (up to 64GB), HD video-out port
  • Stylus: Digital Pro Pen
  • Battery: Up to 7 hours
  • Casing: VaporMg
  • Color: Dark Titanium
  • Two 720p HD cameras(front and rear)
  • Microphone
  • Stereo speakers

accessorieslabel.png

Touch Cover 2 (Charcoal)
$119.99
2.5 mm thin
Activation: Pressure-sensing input • Backlit
Also supports gestures

Type Cover 2 (Charcoal, Purple, Cyan, Magenta)
$129.99
5.0 mm thin
Activation: Moving (mechanical) keys • Layout: QWERTY, full row of function keys (F1 – F12) • Dedicated buttons for Windows shortcuts and media controls

Docking Station
$199.99
Available early next year.
Power supply input • 1 USB 3.0 Port • 3 USB 2.0 Ports • Ethernet port (10/100 Ethernet RJ-45) • 3.5 mm audio input/output connections • 1 mini DisplayPort

Remix Project Cover
No pricing details yet
Available next year.

Power Cover
$200
Available next year.
Up to 60% additional battery life.

Wireless Adapter
Wirelessly connect Touch and Type Covers to any Surface tablet.
$59.99

Arc Touch Mouse Surface Edition
$69.99
No release info.

linkslabel.png

Official page for Surface 2/Pro 2.
Surface 2 promo video.
Surface Pro 2 promo video.
Verge's hands-on.
Techcrunch hands-on.
Full list of accessories.
Dazzla's app recommendation.

Surface Pro 2- CS:S benchmarks.
Surface Pro 2- Unboxing.

Surface 2- Unboxing.
Surface 2- Power connector.
Surface 2- Printing setup.
Surface 2- Battery life video.
Surface 2- Quickplay.
Surface 2- Internet Explorer.
Surface 2- Quick demo.
Surface 2- Scanning.

jagowar

I am eagerly awaiting reviews on the pro 2.... really curious how well the desktop dock will work and what the real battery life will be like. Shame that power cover is not out until next year.

Very nice OT, I am considering making the jump from the iPad to the Surface. Makes more sense as a student to have a tablet that can use excel with the familiar Windows interface.

Very nice OT. Hopefully this time the surface brand picks up some steam and become more competitive, microsoft really has a great line of products here.

Watevaman

I've got a feeling now might be the time to ask about this, as Xmas is coming up, so how many people have replaced their laptops with a Surface (Pro in particular)?

Here's my situation: college student majoring in geography, which means I have a 10% MS coupon valid until December 31. I'm looking to be in school for at least another 2 years if everything goes alright. I currently own an HP Pavilion dv6 I bought in January of 2010 and while it gets stuff done, if I want to do any drawing/note taking I have to take my Wacom tablet. It's also pretty heavy at 6.5lbs. As I'm still in engineering classes at the moment, I'm not sure what software I'd need to run, but I do the occasional Photoshop work right now just as a hobby. Right now I have my desktop, the laptop, and a Nexus 7. The Nexus is really what I carry around when I need to, as I use it for browsing and textbooks, and I'm afraid it wouldn't get any use if I had a Surface.

So, was anybody in a similar situation? It's a good chunk of change ($1000+), so I want to entertain options before I jump in.

Azzurri

For surface users, is there a good note taking app?

Would like to know this too.

Want a Pro 2, but I just bought a $1500 gaming laptop and don't really need to spend another $1000+.

Also, what would the Surface be good for since most people say it sucks.

Want a Pro 2, but I just bought a $1500 gaming laptop and don't really need to spend another $1000+.

What do they say it sucks at?

Great thread btw. Surface RT2 incoming. (Yeah, I'm going to continue to use the term RT. Guess I've been using computers for too long to be confusing an OS that will run legacy windows apps with an OS that wasn't designed to)

f0lken

One Note

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeE5zWPuk_0

And the Metro Version is excelent too, also with pen support

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1DNz9oXykA

And I will have a Pro before this year's end, does someone know if there is a screen protector that could give the screen a little textured feel, I tested the wacom pen and works perfect but I'm used to the texture on my bamboo as opposed to the clear glass feel on the surface

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I've got a feeling now might be the time to ask about this, as Xmas is coming up, so how many people have replaced their laptops with a Surface (Pro in particular)?

Here's my situation: college student majoring in geography, which means I have a 10% MS coupon valid until December 31. I'm looking to be in school for at least another 2 years if everything goes alright. I currently own an HP Pavilion dv6 I bought in January of 2010 and while it gets stuff done, if I want to do any drawing/note taking I have to take my Wacom tablet. It's also pretty heavy at 6.5lbs. As I'm still in engineering classes at the moment, I'm not sure what software I'd need to run, but I do the occasional Photoshop work right now just as a hobby. Right now I have my desktop, the laptop, and a Nexus 7. The Nexus is really what I carry around when I need to, as I use it for browsing and textbooks, and I'm afraid it wouldn't get any use if I had a Surface.

So, was anybody in a similar situation? It's a good chunk of change ($1000+), so I want to entertain options before I jump in.

I'm a college student as well. Majoring in CS. And after many debates, I have decided to jump on the SP2 bandwagon. These two videos pushed me over the edge big time.

I own a desktop, but no laptop (put down) or tablet (sold last year) so it makes the decision easier for me. Although, like yourself, the price tag did a good job of scaring me away.

Zhuk86

Banned
Got mine pre-ordered, can't wait to get my hands on it! Microsoft have made the perfect tablet with the Surface 2 imo, love the covers and the fact they solved the productivity problem with 'mobile' devices.

It will be an excruciating wait tracking my package once it ships!

tenchir

I really want a Surface Pro 2, but 0.9-1K dollar for a 128GB version is kind of hard for me to swallow and these have fan for the i5 processor too right?

I am definitely waiting for the Venue 11 Pro to come out to see a better price/performance comparisons. Do you think the i3 version of the Venue will be fanless?

Dazzla

I'm pretty excited for these. I'm after the Surface 2 as a companion device. I imagine it'll be used for the majority of my computer usage with a Macbook Air for slightly heavier lifting when required.

Stocked up on accessories already, have a 64GB micro SD card and micro HDMI to HDMI adaptor ready. It's all ready so slot straight into my multi monitor set up when I'm at home in the office.

I'd like to recommend some apps as well for prospective buyers (UK store links):

Halo Spartan Assault
Screenshot.195101.100000.jpg

Nextgen Reader
Screenshot.29960.1000000.jpg

Bing News (get the whole suite of apps though: News, Sport, Finance, Travel, Food, Maps, Translate)
Screenshot.4009.1000000.jpg

Remote Desktop
Screenshot.1454.1000000.jpg

XBMC RT Remote (although there are plenty of other options)
Screenshot.10387.1000005.jpg

Kindle
Screenshot.25069.100000.jpg

SocialNV
Screenshot.113464.1000000.jpg

Code Writer
Screenshot.65444.1000000.jpg

OneNote
Screenshot.5639.1000000.jpg

Evernote Touch
Screenshot.789.100000.jpg

Pouch (Pocket client)
Screenshot.85157.1000000.jpg

Latermark (another Pocket Client)
Screenshot.26345.1000000.jpg

The Football App
Screenshot.153440.1000000.jpg

Torrex (torrent client)
Screenshot.152122.1000002.jpg

Metro Commander
Screenshot.193740.100000.jpg

Twitter
Screenshot.102046.1000000.jpg

Netflix
Screenshot.21604.100000.jpg

4OD
Screenshot.60843.1000001.jpg

Spotlite (Spotify Client)
Screenshot.235757.100000.jpg

Ebay
Screenshot.2508.1000001.jpg

Amazon
Screenshot.47807.1000003.jpg

Fresh Paint
Screenshot.6950.1000000.jpg

Xbox SmartGlass
Screenshot.946.1000000.jpg

Wikipedia
Screenshot.1816.5492.jpg

PrimeTube (YouTube app, although there are many)
Screenshot.32695.1000000.jpg

Toolbox
Screenshot.21889.1000000.jpg

The store in 8.1 is much better than the store in 8. This makes it easier to filter out the crap in the store (and there's a lot). Hopefully this gives a little insight into some of the better apps out there. There is certainly enough to keep me going in the app store, it suits my workflow. I'd like a nice magazine app, Zinio is there but it suffers from being an afterthought (like Google Play Magazines) to Newstand on iOS. Publishers make great interactive content for Newstand but generally static PDF style magazines for other platforms.

jagowar

OneNote? Free in the Store.

Second onenote.... but one small issue I have with the metro app is not being able to convert my handwriting into txt (have to use the desktop app for that which is not a huge deal but a pain to switch back and forth).

Dazzla

Cool. There really are a lot of good apps available now. Windows RT 8.1 a year after Windows RT 8 is a completely different proposition. I didn't touch on games as I don't game too heavily on tablets. I wouldn't have thought the gaming scene is as good as iOS though.

I'll be buying mine in store at John Lewis for the longer standard warranty. I hope they have a variety of touch covers there as well. The UK MS store only has black. I'm excited for the potential that the new touch covers offer such as gestures.

Ganondolf

Does anyone know when the first reviews are going to be online. I thought I remember Microsoft saying that reviewers will have review units 2 weeks early.

Goku

Banned
I have a Surface RT. Best damn smart device I've ever owned. I wonder how much I can sell this for to buy a Surface 2. That things looks amazing.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
You should also add to the OP that the Touch Cover 2 supports gestures.

Will do.

Does anyone know when the first reviews are going to be online. I thought I remember Microsoft saying that reviewers will have review units 2 weeks early.

I haven't heard of when the review embargo will be lifted.

I have a Surface RT. Best damn smart device I've ever owned. I wonder how much I can sell this for to buy a Surface 2. That things looks amazing.

Best Buy has a trade in program. Can get anywhere between $200-350 for it. Assuming you just want the money quick.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Some MS stores are holding a midnight launch.

Bellevue Square Mall
Westfield San Francisco Centre
Scottsdale Fashion Square
Dadeland Mall (Miami)
Lennox Square Mall (Atlanta)
The Shops at Prudential Center (Boston)
The Westchester (White Plains, N.Y.)
The Domain (Austin, Texas)
The Fashion Centre at Pentagon City (Arlington, Va.)
Oakbrook Center Mall (Oak Brook, Ill.)

daviyoung

Banned
Can someone please help me find a video that shows Microsoft Excel use on the Surface 2? I need to know!

What would you like to know? It's pretty much identical to Office 2013 version but misses some advanced features. For most people it's fine but you can't crack open the VB editor or run any high function on it.

Is the Surface Pro 2 hardware identical outside of the Ram/Storage differences?

Better CPU and higher res screen too.

Kibbles

I'm a college student as well. Majoring in CS. And after many debates, I have decided to jump on the SP2 bandwagon. These two videos pushed me over the edge big time.

I own a desktop, but no laptop (put down) or tablet (sold last year) so it makes the decision easier for me. Although, like yourself, the price tag did a good job of scaring me away.
Damn those almost have me sold on a RT. How good is that remote desktop (over lan, not internet)?

Top Bottom