• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brazilian Xbox One will be assembled in Brazil

gtj1092

So much crow from that thread. Doubt anyone backs down from their sony being greedy stance. Because yes Sony would try and purposely try and price their console for twice as much as the competition.

Wereroku

I don't think I get it. How is Microsoft helping Sony ?

He means it explains some of the price disparity between the one and the ps4. So this explains a bit so can we get people to stop claiming that they know everything that happens in Brazil since they live there and refuses to believe any alternate theories?

Tsundere

Banned
So the only reasonable explanation for the difference in prices.... is in fact, the true explanation.

Now to see what all those forum members screaming "Sony is a liar" are going to say.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So much crow from that thread. Doubt anyone backs down from their sony being greedy stance. Because yes Sony would try and purposely try and price their console for twice as much as the competition.

I definitely ate crow. I was incredibly surprised when I found out that Microsoft was doing this, but unfortunately couldn't rectify my previous comments yet for obvious reasons, haha.

That's not helping Sony, that's helping the consumer. Sony has always had the option to do exactly what MS is doing. But yes, this is great for the consumer.

They're helping Sony by justifying their excuses.

It's a joke.

TTOOLL

nice!

regarding the PS3 price, do you remember the exact price reduction after it started being assembled here?

According to G1 it was a 300 reais reduction: http://g1.globo.com/tecnologia/game...-playstation-3-sera-vendido-por-r-11-mil.html

So, if they start assembling the PS4 here the reduction would be around this too, we would have the PS4 priced at 3.700 reais, or let me be generous with Sony, we would have it for 3.500 reais. Way more expensive than the Xbone.

I still don't buy Sony numbers.

Brazil

nice!

regarding the PS3 price, do you remember the exact price reduction after it started being assembled here?

According to G1 it was a 300 reais reduction: http://g1.globo.com/tecnologia/game...-playstation-3-sera-vendido-por-r-11-mil.html

So, if they start assembling the PS4 here the reduction would be around this too, we would have the PS4 priced at 3.700 reais, or let me be generous with Sony, we would have it for 3.500 reais. Way more expensive than the Xbone.

Mark Stanley told us in an interview that manufacturing the PS4 here would literally cut its price in half.

But GAF swore this was not true!

"People who said that the Xbox One was going to be manufactured here in the other threads didn't "call it". This was supposed to be Microsoft's big reveal for the season, and there were no previous mentions of this even being a possibility."

You mean other then being the only possible outcome considering the price differences?

Wereroku

nice!

It would allow Sony Brazil to get the console for less than US market price. It would go down significantly more.

I just hope that this doesn't make people forget that the taxes and profits are still high. 2200 is not cheap, just less expensive.

Brazil

But GAF swore this was not true!

"People who said that the Xbox One was going to be manufactured here in the other threads didn't "call it". This was supposed to be Microsoft's big reveal for the season, and there were no previous mentions of this even being a possibility."

You mean other then being the only possible outcome considering the price differences?

Saying "It'll be manufactured here, I know it for sure because of reasons, and I have no source to prove anything" is very different from saying "I think Microsoft may be manufacturing the Xbox One here, but hasn't told us yet".

If someone fell into the second group, then they can say they "called it".

But this is just me nitpicking.

TTOOLL

Mark Stanley told us in an interview that manufacturing the PS4 here would literally cut its price in half.

This would be magnificent. However it didn't happen with the PS3 and I don't think it will happen with the PS4.
Another point that makes me doubt Sony, Vita's price.

flkraven

Saying "It'll be manufactured here, I know it for sure because of reasons, and I have no source to prove anything" is very different from saying "I think Microsoft may be manufacturing the Xbox One here, but hasn't told us yet".

I think when people say "called it", they mean "I totally guessed correctly using deductive reasoning, logic, or luck". I think you are defining "called it" as "I knew it in advance", which isn't "calling" anything.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what does 'assemble' mean? Can you ship a finished console to Brazil, have someone put a sticker on it and call it 'assembled in Brazil'?

Wondering why companies like Sony don't just do that to bring the price down?

Tsundere

Banned

I mean, the levelled-headed deduction should've always been that Microsoft was partially or completely manufacturing/building the console in Brazil in order to avoid the import taxes. The numbers did not lie.

Platy

Well that explains =P

I was expecting a sony reveal, not a microsoft reveal

what does 'assemble' mean? Can you ship a finished console to Brazil, have someone put a sticker on it and call it 'assembled in Brazil'?

Wondering why companies like Sony don't just do that to bring the price down?

It has to be less than 70% finished to be called assemble

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Interesting news. We're all fucked either way as usual anyway, that's what makes all the greed/not greed bickering even sadder. Hopefully Sony manages to start building the PS4 locally as soon as possible so by 2020 it can be somewhat affordable to Brazilians interested in having warranties with such purchases (which is something problematic when it comes to the grey market).

TTOOLL

For those who don't live here I show you this:

PS3 price BEFORE being assembled in Brazil = 1400 reais
PS3 price AFTER being assembled in Brazil = 1100 reais

so, what makes you think Sony would cut the price in half? It's very easy to say it, but when they had the opportunity to do it with the PS3 they didn't.

tensuke

Exactly. I know Sony can be stingy about prices (hellooo Vita memory cards), but there's no other explanation for why the PS4 is so much more expensive than the already-more-expensive Xbone. They wouldn't have released those breakdown numbers while straight up lying about them.

Wereroku

so, what makes you think Sony would cut the price in half? It's very easy to say it, but when they had the opportunity to do it with the PS3 they didn't.

Dude part of the problem with the PS4 is the price sony brazil is having to pay to get the finished console. They are paying as much as I am. This adds to the costs for everyone. If they produce it locally they could get the console for less than production cost. You are looking at maybe getting it for $200 compared to $400. So less costs upfront and on the tax side.

TTOOLL

Dude part of the problem with the PS4 is the price sony brazil is having to pay to get the finished console. They are paying as much as I am. This adds to the costs for everyone. If they produce it locally they could get the console for less than production cost. You are looking at maybe getting it for $200 compared to $400. So less costs upfront and on the tax side.

I know bro, but I don't think you got my point. Why didn't they cut the PS3 price in half?

Sony was not expecting this uproar, they were not expecting being mocked by Banco do Brasil. Since they can't just lower the price now they will give us a lot of excuses. Some plausible, some not. They price will come down, slowly, as always. But we have NEVER seen a 50% price reduction in consoles here and we will never see.

Road

PS4, youarealreadydead.jpg.

It's funny Brazil is the only place in the world where Microsoft is running circles around Sony in the next-gen battle.

PS4 is still more expensive, relatively, than other Sony products...

Brazil

Yeah. I really don't think the price will come down to R$ 2,000, but they definitely won't repeat what they did with the PS3. They need to be competitive.

Guri

Xbox One será fabricado no Brasil, segundo Anatel
http://jogos.uol.com.br/ultimas-not...e-sera-fabricado-no-brasil-segundo-anatel.htm

This is what I've been teasing everyone in the Brazilian PS4 threads about over the past few days. It was supposed to be revealed on Friday during a conference, but Anatel's website leaked the information.

The Xbox One will be manufactured (assembled, actually) in Manaus.

Obviously, this sheds new light on the whole PS4 taxes discussion.

Hey, man, do you know if there are any taxes on the parts that will be assembled? Since it won't be manufactured, could that be the reason the console won't cost less than R$ 2200?

Brazil

Hey, man, do you know if there are any taxes on the parts that will be assembled? Since it won't be manufactured, could that be the reason the console won't cost less than R$ 2200?

There are still taxes, obviously. If it was 100% manufactured in Manaus, it'd be cheaper... But doing so probably wouldn't be a cost-effective decision on Microsoft's part since the market isn't that well-developed to justify a second production line yet.

Frodo

This explains MS prices. PS4's price is still way above the curve of other imported gaming consoles and pretty much everything else. INCLUDING the PS Vita.

Also, many people pointing to how those numbers Sony showed could easily be a lot less if they weren't calculating based on the American RETAIL price and using the correct percentages (and not the maximum taxable amount possible) and also adding their margin at the end of the calculation to not reflect in more taxes accumulating on over the other.

They probably have a really small allocation to Brazil and just want to make the most of it as they know people will buy it anyway.

PS4 is still more expensive, relatively, than other Sony products...

Same price of a MacBook Pro. A US$1000 MacBook Pro.

Guri

There are still taxes, obviously. If it was 100% manufactured in Manaus, it'd be cheaper... But doing so probably wouldn't be a cost-effective decision on Microsoft's part since the market isn't that well-developed to justify a second production line yet.

Thanks!

Platy

They started assembling the ps3 here MUCH after the launch of the console, after lots of price drops and everything.

When you assemble the console day one you get a much bigger diference.

Tunin

Oh well, that's all I guess. Things are going to get really messy for Sony @ BGS.

I'm seriously considering buying XBone this holiday season, specially if I don't get anyone to buy a PS4 outside the country and bring it to me.

As every generation start, it is a sad period to be a gamer here.

shinnn

Does that make the Xbox One too expensive now though?
X360 was released for R$2.999 imported (when it was $399 on US).

When they started the local production the price got reduced by R$600. If not my mistake it was R$2.799 and was reduced to R$2.199.

This news changes nothing. Sony price still all over the place. Even imported, the XB1 would not cost more than R$3000. Sony is charging R$3.999 for a $400 console.

ethomaz

Banned
X360 was released for R$2.999 imported (when it was $399 on US).

When they started the local production the price got reduced by R$600. If not my mistake it was R$2.799 and was reduced to R$2.199.

This news changes nothing. Sony price still all over the place. Even imported, the XB1 would not cost more than R$3000. Sony is charging R$3.999 for a $400 console.
The first Xbox 360 assembled here was priced:

4GB: R$800 (R$1,300 previous imported)
250GB: R$1,100 (R$1,600 previous imported)

http://g1.globo.com/tecnologia/noti...custar-partir-de-r-800-anuncia-microsoft.html

Top Bottom