• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apexicon: Fantasy Puzzle Combat - Created by Gaffer - [Wii U/Vita/PS4 stretch goals]

Jobbs

Banned
Yet another game that has spawned from the Neogaf indie games thread. This one is by Ashodin, who has been contributing to the indie dev thread (not just by showing his progress but by being supportive of the projects of others) for quite some time now. This is a puzzle combat game where you do damage by spelling words.

Coming to PC/Mac/Linux and mobiles.

Kickstarter Campaign

33adb62ac43d8863050a3fcf0370b358_large.png

From KS:

APEXICON is a game where you take words from a board of letters, much like a Boggle board, and match them to deal damage.

• Cross-Platform Saving - Own the game on multiple platforms? Have a game on PC, and want to play it on mobile? I'm working on making this happen.
  • Full Town Management, Including Finding NPCs and Rebuilding the Town
  • Customization of character down to skills, special passives, and equipment which you can use in battle to slay your enemies faster
  • Full Voice Over Narration for major characters, text for minors
  • Multiple Endings, based entirely on what you do and how you develop your town
  • Intriguing story that delves into the rich lore
  • Equipment can be leveled up, allowing you to unlock even more skills and special abilities, further specializing your character.
  • Enemies who have AI that will try to fight off your skills and use their own
  • Build friendships with your NPC friends in the town to unlock more secrets, sidequests, and various other fun things
  • Spend INK, the game's currency, to unlock even more secrets
  • Built for PC/Mac/Linux in mind, as well as mobiles
  • And much more!

My core thoughts for the game would be based around three big features:

Huge emphasis on story-telling
Extreme customization for combat
Inordinate amounts of things to do or find (secrets!)

About to go leave a pledgaroo!

Hope this is at least on par with Puzzle Quest. I wasted so much of my life playing that damn game. Shame they ruined the sequel.

Ashodin

Hope this is at least on par with Puzzle Quest. I wasted so much of my life playing that damn game. Shame they ruined the sequel.

DUDE I know what you mean. The second one was dumbed down, and I'm adding so many layers to this game it'll be like...

layer cake

It should be noted that FEEP is doing voice over.

Ashodin

So biggest thing I'm working on right now after the launch is getting the demo ready for everyone to play (including the games media).

My goal is to have the combat ready for mouse/gamepad in a couple of days, along with enemy AI set up, and then linking that all together through the demo and basic story.

Currently in the demo you can only create a Wordsmith, but I'll make sure to have several skills and such ready for you to use.

A big thing I set last week was how you heal yourself in the game - the longest time I couldn't figure out how to make it work, until it hit me:

Any word you use that start with the letters making H, E, A, L will heal you a small amount.

This also comes with it a big question - do you eat up all the letters and vowels to heal up, or play a deadly balance game?

Tiu Neo

Donated! I've been following this game on the Indie Devs thread, looks great!

BTW, got the early bird version, but I live in Brazil. Do you want me to add some more to the pledge, to help with the shipping?

Ashodin

Donated! I've been following this game on the Indie Devs thread, looks great!

BTW, got the early bird version, but I live in Brazil. Do you want me to add some more to the pledge, to help with the shipping?

Nope! I'll cover that stuff since it's just a poster. Much appreciated!

Ashodin

Backed! Looks like a lot of fun. Really nice artwork.

Aw dude thanks. There's more artwork coming, but this guy is one of my favorites:

088200249c284639ae725a693a10d8c0_large.png

General Regular Standard. Unfortunately named, unfortunate station. Just keeps wanting people to call him "Reg".

Ashodin

Ok then, thanks! Added a bit more to my pledge, anyway.

Oh, yes, and the artwork is really nice. The songs on the kickstarter page are also great.

One of my big goals is to get some good voice over artists to do each character, but we'll see if that happens.

At least I know that Feep is voicing this guy:

afff074d9bbc1759c0011d13850c80df_large.png

So much swag.

Ashodin

I swear I saw this on Greenlight as well.

Nice art!

Yes you did! One of the goals of the Kickstarter campaign is hopefully to link into the Greenlight and snowball.

And I'll be sure to let my artist how much you guys like her art :)

Neat. Huge Puzzle Quest fan and like word games... looks nice, too. I'd like to see the letter matching principle in action.

Ashodin

ffRjUkf.gif

Here's what I've been working on all night - damage indicators and splattery blood to indicate you're gonna hit. HARD.

Cool concept and it's been fun to watch it grow, and man it's been looking really great since the final art started coming in. Will give it the right clicks and money!

Ashodin

Looks cool. Do you do more damage if all the letters are touching, ala Boggle?

You might be touching on something that another class could engage in :p

Cool concept and it's been fun to watch it grow, and man it's been looking really great since the final art started coming in. Will give it the right clicks and money!

Aw dude thanks man. I appreciate any donations if you decide to do them. Thanks a lot!

Tizoc

Kickstarter page doesn't open up for me at work but I'd like to know what options are there for payment?

Ashodin

So kind of like Bookworm Adventures?

Zrl23k0.jpg

Yes, very much so!

Kickstarter page doesn't open up for me at work but I'd like to know what options are there for payment?

Amazon and through kickstarter I believe. Will be adding a Paypal link tomorrow!
That's the first thing that came to mind lol

:)

Looks like a game right up my alley!

Awesome! Trying to get this thing on steam too.

really excited to be a part of this. jonathan contacted me to provide his game with music a few months back and i was immediately excited by the so-simple-why-haven't-i-seen-it-before gameplay mechanics & engrossed by the deep & witty lore. it's been great seeing it develop from monochromatic .gifs to glorious final art.
i hope you guys like music i provide and it helps flesh out & complete apexicon!

Ashodin

really excited to be a part of this. jonathan contacted me to provide his game with music a few months back and i was immediately excited by the so-simple-why-haven't-i-seen-it-before gameplay mechanics & engrossed by the deep & witty lore. it's been great seeing it develop from monochromatic .gifs to glorious final art. i hope you guys like music i provide and it helps flesh out & complete apexicon!
Awwww yiss I was wondering when you were gonna post in here you sassy brit

Tizoc

Amazon and through kickstarter I believe. Will be adding a Paypal link tomorrow!

I sadly can't use Amazon nor Paypal with my card, but paying directly through kickstarter website should work for me.
Be careful with paypal though, since twice there were threads on GAF about how they withheld funds from the groups that used them for their funding.

Good luck and hope you guys reach your target!

Ashodin

I sadly can't use Amazon nor Paypal with my card, but paying directly through kickstarter website should work for me.
Be careful with paypal though, since twice there were threads on GAF about how they withheld funds from the groups that used them for their funding.

Good luck and hope you guys reach your target!
Sweet! Let me know if you need any more help or have questions.

Ashodin

Backed. Do I need to upgrade from 10 to 20 dollars if I want both a mobile and PC version?

NOPE! You get BOTH! Mobile version is free to play, so backers of the PC version get the mobile version unlocked with all content (normally you have to buy the other two classes).

I'll back as long as I remember to do it when I get back to my computer.

Yes this is permission to pm me in a few days to remind me ashodin :p

you can do it from your phone! Unless you are too busy. :)
Is that new? I remember last time kickstarter freaked out on my phone.

Also just making 100% sure, the 20 buck tier gets you two steam keys if you want them (and it's greenlit) right? It only explicitly says drm free version.

Yes I'm one of those steam jerks.

Edit:
Congratulations!
You are now an official backer of APEXICON - Fantasy Puzzle Combat.

Ashodin

Is that new? I remember last time kickstarter freaked out on my phone.

Also just making 100% sure, the 20 buck tier gets you two steam keys if you want them (and it's greenlit) right? It only explicitly says drm free version.

Yes I'm one of those steam jerks.

Yes it does! If we're greenlit, you get a key, and your buddy does too!

Top Bottom