• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3ds update is going to block switching between country and delete currency

m0t0k1

Was reading the Network ID faq on the nintendo website and i just noticed this. So aussies beware.

I have used Nintendo eShop in different regions, and I have funds in multiple currencies in my balance. What will happen to these funds after I register a Nintendo Network ID?

After registering a Nintendo Network ID, you will be unable to change regions and use multiple currencies – for instance, pounds and euros – in Nintendo eShop. The funds in the currency that corresponds to the country setting of your Nintendo Network ID will remain, and any funds in other currencies will be deleted and no longer usable. Please make sure to use up any other currencies before registering a Nintendo Network ID to your Nintendo 3DS system.

I still have some pounds on my 3ds and some euros because of the Legend of Zelda for 20 pounds thing also bought VLR on the uk shop. so make sure to spend them wisely in the next month.

source

Wow. Glad I live in MURICA.

Kinda sucks, but I guess I can understand why there's some technical reason for it to be. Sucks, yes, but not really a case of them screwing people over on purpose.

Also as stated by Bill Trinen in the Direct, when you want to download demos and free software in the future, they will require a login with your NNID. So if you want that stuff, you'll need to do this eventually anyway.

Sendou

I guess this also means that considering I own European Wii U and a 3DS from North America I'm unable to link these under the same NNID? That's pretty lame.

I guess this also means that considering I own European Wii U and a 3DS from North America I'm unable to link these under the same NNID? That's pretty lame.

That's actually a really weird point! Hrm, I wonder how that sort of thing is going to play out. We don't know if the NNID is locked to a region on the Wii U basis, or if it's something determined by the 3DS, so it really could go either way.

It's okay, I got a PAL Wii U and an NTSC 3DS. Those two might as well be made by different companies because they don't know the other one exists.

Pingween

Ok so we will lose the funds, but what will happen if we change region with our games, will they be available, or will they be gone ?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Regions could be a PITA, but what stopping you from creating a NNID for every country where you shop, given all those are in the same region?

/beaten

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Regions could be a PITA, but what stopping you from creating a NNID for every country where you shop?

You will probably only be able to have exactly one NNID on each 3DS. Because this isn't an account system, it's weird dancing around the issues.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
This won't eliminate different region payment will it? Being able to use my US credit card on the JP eshop and not have to buy prepaid cards at a premium is one of the best things it has going for it right now.

Wow.... wooww!

Isn't that a crime to delete someone's money withtout consent or let users to retrieve/transfer other currencey to their original NNID/regional balance?

Sandfox

Both devices are region locked so I don't see how that would've worked.
Wow.... wooww!

Isn't that a crime to delete someone's money withtout consent or let users to retrieve/transfer other currencey to their original NNID/regional balance?
They aren't going to just force you to make a NNID without consent or a warning and the Nintendo Direct said to spend your leftover credit first.

Another reason not to bother with nintendo digital platform.

Just what I was thinking. I've always avoided digital purchases on 3DS (No Code of Princess or Senran Kagura for me :mad: ) for the usual reasons, but this sounds shady as hell.

It can't be legal for them to just wipe your currency, can it? They have to reimburse somehow surely?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The fact that Nintendo is doubling down on region locking really rubs me the wrong way. I'm just about ready to forget about the 3DS for the time being as it has become a huge inconvenience.

They clearly don't care about customers who leave their home countries (a reality of business these days). I really don't wish to support this behavior on their part.

No chance I will "cave" and buy European versions of consoles I already own especially as a day one adopter. Would be nice if they had a program to trade in your console from one region for another or something.

m0t0k1

Just what I was thinking. I've always avoided digital purchases on 3DS (No Code of Princess or Senran Kagura for me :mad: ) for the usual reasons, but this sounds shady as hell.

It can't be legal for them to just wipe your currency, can it? They have to reimburse somehow surely?

Senran is getting a boxed version in EU.

Both devices are region locked so I don't see how that would've worked.

They aren't going to just force you to make a NNID without consent or a warning and the Nintendo Direct said to spend your leftover credit first.

ah, i see. Thanks for the clarification.

kuppy

Yeah this sucks, so many people switched their eshop to Australia so that Pokémon X/Y was activated sooner, I have no idea which one to choose now.

Salsa

agh fuck

im guessing I can still register a US account since my 3DS is NA but I live in Uruguay right?

still sucks, liked this

edit: uh maybe I should go Canada?

Compared to what? Xbox 360 and PS3/Vita do not let you visit different regional stores with one account. That will be the case with Nintendo IDs aswell.

But you can create multiple accounts on those systems, is not the case on 3DS.

As always with Ninty: one step forward, two backwards

Compared to what? Xbox 360 and PS3/Vita do not let you visit different regional stores with one account. That will be the case with Nintendo IDs aswell.

Thats why PSN/XBL werent going to delete my currency, Nintendo's digital platform is a mess, restrictions upon restrictions.

FyreWulff

And even if you do purchase a game on the 360 it won't work.

Source: tried to buy a couple of games while I was in Canada, on my US account. The games would show up as corrupted data and would not work. Had to wait until I got back to the United States to actually be able to play the games I paid for.

The stupidity of this is I had access to Halo: Reach codes (from Canada) and they worked fine for redeeming on either US or Canadian accounts. But once you tried to use that copy of Reach in the other region, it showed up as corrupted again. Had to redeem another Reach on my roommate's Canadian account to get Reach to boot up.

Creating alternate accounts for different countries doesn't wipe your balance and lock you to that store on PS3 and 360.

Only way to get DLC for import games like Gundam EX Versus on PS3 and the Cave STGs on 360.

Lehow

I will live in US, dat eshop cards.

But I have a question, Can I have more than one NNID per 3DS? So I could set up an American and a Brazilian account, and share the games between accounts?

Frodo

But you can create multiple accounts on those systems, is not the case on 3DS.

As always with Ninty: one step forward, two backwards

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you also can't have accounts from different regions on the same memory card on the vita, can you?

hamchan

So I bought Phoenix Wright off the UK store and some other games off the Australian store. If I can't change region anymore does that mean I lose the ability to redownload some of my games now?

Top Bottom