• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3ds update is going to block switching between country and delete currency

El Sabroso

HuluPlus and Nintendo Video won't work for people outside the US/Canada anyway.

Netflix never worked for me on 3DS, even when using my own region where Netflix is available.

I downloaded Netflix from Canada and worked for me (I live in Mexico), I just migrated again to Mexico and used there the app

I've watched JP Nintendo Video outside Japan. The process to get NV to work outside NA is probably the same.

All of them are working for me with VPN and I live in Europe. The thing is Netflix ask Canadian account when you switch countries and doesn't accept US one. Hulu doesn't work at all when you switch and Nintendo video deletes your US videos.

Same goes for Wii U, when you make your NNID in Canada, you can buy stuff from eShop but Netflix is unaccessible.

I meant without VPN.

That last point is incorrect. I'm in the Caribbean and I have a Canadian NNID, I buy all my games from the eShop, and I watch Netflix perfectly. It's not the US or Canadian Netflix, but the same version I get if I use a browser or any other device.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I just don't get the idea of region locking a portable gaming machine. It makes no sense for the consumer.

m0t0k1

I'm fairly certain that is illegal, and nintendo doesn't have the authority to nullify currency...

It isn't forced you know. It is only if you create NNID. They probably going to have a couple of extra warnings before you register. But if you want to make use of all the new feateres in the next update you have to create it.

mantidor

that I entered the info wrong.. sometimes I get a different one

I still get charged for each time I try and I dont get the money back for like a week D:

tried many times. Guessing they just dont like debit cards

I think debit cards don't work, only credit.

that I entered the info wrong.. sometimes I get a different one

I still get charged for each time I try and I dont get the money back for like a week D:

tried many times. Guessing they just dont like debit cards

I think debit cards don't work, only credit.

I use a debit card on both eShops. It asks for the card number, and then a Post Code. My region is set to Alberta, Canada, so I entered a random Alberta Post Code and it worked. I don't know what info could be wrong.

Salsa

I use a debit card on both eShops. It asks for the card number, and then a Post Code. My region is set to Alberta, Canada, so I entered a random Alberta Post Code and it worked. I don't know what info could be wrong.

that's what I do, still nuthin

Bulzeeb

What the fuck, I switch countries between Greece an England all the time. I'm like 6months in Greece, 6 months in England.

I'M NOT UPDATING.

I bet that without the update you wont be able to access the e-shop so at the end of the day you must choose between 1 country or no country at all

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It's like Nintendo heard our pleas about ending region-looking, but in reverse.
For what it's worth, I own both handhelds and I'm more than ever convinced about which one is worth supporting.

I would be curious to learn what that 'technical reason' can be.

Nintendo is technically incompetent seems the most likely and reasonable explanation.

R0ckman

As much as it pains me to say this why not just region lock in Europe only? It would minimize the effects of what they are afraid of.

Katsuragi

Thread title is a bit misleading. This doesn't happen automatically when you download the update. You have to register a Nintendo Network ID (which you need for Miiverse) before it becomes active. You don't have to do it, you can still buy games from the eShop without a NNID.

Edit: Beaten. :(

Aretak

Lots and lots of entitlement, I see. Nintendo really shouldn't listen to these "fans".
Christ. Yeah, if you ever criticise anything Nintendo does, ever, you're not a true believer and should be shunned. Hopefully people will eventually make enough noise to drag Nintendo kicking and screaming out of the 90s, rather than rabidly defending every decision they make, no matter how shitty.

Y'know, I'm just saying, what happens if you freaking MOVE? It happens. I'm in the US; someday, I could move to Canada, or the UK, or anywhere else in the world. I"m not planning on it, but it's completely plausible.

What happens then? Am I just forever doomed to have my region set to the United States, or else lose all my eShop purchases? Oh, and I'm pretty much all-digital on the 3DS because I hate carrying around cartridges for a portable system. That's a lot of games.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So Nintendo are region locking even more now. You're so awesome Nintendo.

Today has been a fantastic day of news. Truly a barrage of just top quality boners.

Lots and lots of entitlement, I see. Nintendo really shouldn't listen to these "fans".

Oh its that word again. Splendid.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Y'know, I'm just saying, what happens if you freaking MOVE? It happens. I'm in the US; someday, I could move to Canada, or the UK, or anywhere else in the world. I"m not planning on it, but it's completely plausible.

What happens then? Am I just forever doomed to have my region set to the United States, or else lose all my eShop purchases? Oh, and I'm pretty much all-digital on the 3DS because I hate carrying around cartridges for a portable system. That's a lot of games.

Don't register an NNID in the system.

balgajo

Canada allows international credit cards. eShop on the US doesn't.

This basically sucks for me, since my NNID is already in the US. I guess I can create another one but seems annoying and cumbersome.

Same case here. Hate that I cannot configure my right time(Brazilia). Associated to US because of Club Nintendo account.

Nilaul

What happens to your games that you downloaded from different countries when you register a NIND? Deleted?

If you don't register a NIND are you still allowed to use the e-shop?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Probably won't register for an NNID then. It sucks that my region (Singapore) doesn't even have an eshop and I can't even purchase DLC. Whether I use the US store (and stick with marked up eshop cards) or stick to Canada, both options are annoying until Nintendo tries to do something about the other lesser regions.

I'm just afraid that the Canada store might one day stop taking international cards and that Nintendo might just revoke the content that has been sold to me because I'm not buying from the right region.

I thought it only affected your wallet, not what you've already purchased… where did you get this information from?

You'd have to continue using the US eShop. Either keep a US credit/debit card, or buy points cards. It's not ideal, but that would be the answer.

I thought it only affected your wallet, not what you've already purchased… where did you get this information from?

Sorry, that was a little unclear. What I meant is, if you want your region set correctly, and you've registered your NNID, you'd essentially have to start over: wipe the console clean with a system format, and all that. Nintendo doesn't let you use two NNID's, and I'm assuming that once you switch over to an NNID– which I will, because I want Miiverse and all that– you won't be able to go back.

I'm speculating though, I could be wrong.

You'd have to continue using the US eShop. Either keep a US credit/debit card, or buy points cards. It's not ideal, but that would be the answer.
Is it even possible/legal to keep a US credit/debit card if you no longer have an address in the country? And while I've never tried, I'd imagine that importing foreign eShop cards would require a price premium.

I know that is the solution, at the end of the day we all kind of have to deal with whatever Nintendo throws with us as long as we want to play their new games. I just think it's extremely short-heighted.

M3d10n

I refuse to pay $70 for downloadable retail games, so my NNID will be Canadian. Thanks for your support, Nintendo.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
no taxes I think

Florida also doesnt have taxes tho
Nah, it's because the Canadian store doesn't verify your credit card address. From what I understand, you can only buy from the US store with an (North) American (but not Canadian nor Mexican) CC.

Anyway, my Nintendo ID is going to say I live in Alberta. Sadly that isn't true :(

I haven't seen anyone answer this (no one probably knows yet). What happens if you've purchased digital games from different stores, say UK and Australia). You then set up a NNID in Australia. Will the UK games be associated with your Australia NNID? If you delete them can you re-download them from the AU eshop?

hunnies28

Is there a way for me to change my NNID to a canadian one? US eshop won't take my mexican CC and I don't want to juggle between two accounts.

yaesir

Can someone tell me if Canada's Eshop = USA Eshop?

Also are release dates, prices and all that good stuff the same?

D-e-f-

Banned
So I bought Phoenix Wright off the UK store and some other games off the Australian store. If I can't change region anymore does that mean I lose the ability to redownload some of my games now?

I haven't seen anyone answer this (no one probably knows yet). What happens if you've purchased digital games from different stores, say UK and Australia). You then set up a NNID in Australia. Will the UK games be associated with your Australia NNID? If you delete them can you re-download them from the AU eshop?

Your eShop menu has a "download history" which contains all the titles you downloaded. You are not switching accounts, you are switching regions within your eShop account. I haven't re-checked the wording in the ND but if that would mean you lose access to your purchases from other accounts, they would have to tell you (since they are kinda obligated to do so and have no qualms mentioning that unused currency will be lost from other-region balances).

You can just go and check if it the games are there NOW. If you switched your region back to where you actually are and the game shows up in your download history, there's no reason to worry.

Isn't this similar to what Microsoft did not too long ago, where in people were changing their region to get a free game? Only difference is Nintendo isn't planning on banning anyone.

hongcha

Isn't this similar to what Microsoft did not too long ago, where in people were changing their region to get a free game?

No, it's not like that at all. You can still have multiple different region accounts on the X360 (I have 3, for example, and I buy games from all 3 shops).

D-e-f-

Banned
Well, it seems like Canada is really the place to be then. Just hope they don't IP block or something.

Nintendo doesn't do IP block. That is the whole point of region switching and selecting in the first place. The wider region (JP/US/PAL) is hard wired into the system and the country is user-selected.

Isn't this similar to what Microsoft did not too long ago, where in people were changing their region to get a free game? Only difference is Nintendo isn't planning on banning anyone.

Not even. The thread title is also quite inaccurate. The 3DS update doesn't do any of these things. Creating a NNID will cause you to lose the ability to change regions and then delete unused currency in any potential shop balances you may have had on the system since it is merging your main balance with the existing Wii u balance (if there is one).

Linkark07

Banned
Right now I have my 3ds set on Canada since the US Eshop doesn't accept my CC. Does this mean I won't be able to buy games from the Canadian Eshop?

Myansie

My 3ds is collecting dust at the moment thanks to region locking. It's a stupid decision to keep it by nintendo and the op just shows their only strengthening it. It's left a dirty taste in my mouth and I'm not buying any nintendo products until they change this policy.

Sorry, that was a little unclear. What I meant is, if you want your region set correctly, and you've registered your NNID, you'd essentially have to start over: wipe the console clean with a system format, and all that. Nintendo doesn't let you use two NNID's, and I'm assuming that once you switch over to an NNID– which I will, because I want Miiverse and all that– you won't be able to go back.

Why not just set the region correctly before registering a NNID?

Does the website explicitly say that after the update you can only use 1 user account (NNID) per 3DS? That's how Wii U works and that would actually solve the issue. So far it only mentions that a NNID can be used on 1 3DS at a time.

Madao

miiverse is shit anyway. i'd rather post elsewhere than there so i don't need this crap.

i can't link my 3DS and Wii U because i use eshop cards for 3DS but they're only usable with US as country while my Wii U's NNID is Canadian. so basically my console/handhelds are going to be treated as different region machines.

also, why link both systems to one account if things like cross-buy and easy system transfer don't exist?

Top Bottom