• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3ds update is going to block switching between country and delete currency

RaidenZR

My reading of this is that Nintendo is closing a loophole or blocking an exploit, not disabling a 'feature'. If it means getting one-step closer to a unified account with cross-buy and cross-play of content, then so be it.

mothball

Wow. Glad I live in MURICA.

Kinda sucks, but I guess I can understand why there's some technical reason for it to be. Sucks, yes, but not really a case of them screwing people over on purpose.

I will never understand the presumption of good intentions every time it comes to Nintendo when they have shown repeatedly by now that they simply don't give a damn about digital rights that people enjoy on every other platform.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Well, that's the downside that comes with the new NNID. You can't change your region for those, so as soon as you have one you won't be able to change the region of your 3DS (or store?) either.

Why is everyone suddenly Canadian?

Setting your region to Canada lets you use foreign credit cards, so it's basically the choice for importers.

kitsuneyo

I guess this also means that considering I own European Wii U and a 3DS from North America I'm unable to link these under the same NNID? That's pretty lame.

I'm so gutted about this as well. I wanted to get a North American 3DS XL for the cheaper prices, and because my wife has one and some NA carts. This is the first time I've felt personally cheated by Nintendo's stupid policies.

They need to end 3DS region locking now. It's idiotic.

Minions

One of the many benefits of Unified accounts!

Not surprising.... Region restrictions are a way of life for Nintendo.

m0t0k1

I will live in US, dat eshop cards.

But I have a question, Can I have more than one NNID per 3DS? So I could set up an American and a Brazilian account, and share the games between accounts?

No looks like only 1 NNID per 3ds.

If you have registered a Nintendo Network ID on a Nintendo 3DS system (known as the "source" system), you can transfer this to a new system (known as the "target" system) along with the usage rights to data saved on your SD card, Nintendo DSiWare, your Nintendo eShop user history and balance, any save data from software pre-installed on the system, and Nintendo DS software settings.

However, please note that if the target system already has a Nintendo Network ID registered on it, you will be unable to register the Nintendo Network ID from the source system without first deleting the Nintendo Network ID of the target system.

edit: the quote

patientx

So, I have a NTSC wiiu and ntsc 3ds. I used canadian address before to buy some games . Now I use prepaid cards mostly for 3ds and wiiu both. This update will make my life easier right ? And is canada still better somehow from US ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you also can't have accounts from different regions on the same memory card on the vita, can you?

Not sure, don't have a Vita yet but I know is the case on 360/PS3.

At least Vita is region free.

Overall is a shame handhelds are becoming more restrictive in that sense, specially Nintendo handhelds.

My reading of this is that Nintendo is closing a loophole or blocking an exploit, not disabling a 'feature'. If it means getting one-step closer to a unified account with cross-buy and cross-play of content, then so be it.

What loophole? Every other company lets you have multiple accounts of different regions on their systems, and currency in the wallet for each of those accounts. Nintendo is just proving yet again that they are completely out of touch with not just the rest of the industry, but the rest of the world.

Sony don't give a toss that I have a JP and EU PSN account, nor that I put money into both accounts and buy content from them - and why should they? They get money either way. Region locking does not, and never will have any acceptable excuse.

Salsa

Actually, it is because Canada accepts whatever credit card you have. On the other hand, on the US eshop accepts only US credit cards.

my debit card still doesnt work :(

maybe I should go canadian in case I get a credit card later on, mh.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I was under the impression that the current restriction is that if you change countries from A to B, you lose access to your balance on A. But if you go back to country A, that balance is available to you again.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
No looks like only 1 NNID per 3ds.
You are correct, but what you quoted is referring to the opposite case - one NNID across multiple consoles.

Nilaul

What the fuck, I switch countries between Greece an England all the time. I'm like 6months in Greece, 6 months in England.

I'M NOT UPDATING.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you also can't have accounts from different regions on the same memory card on the vita, can you?
Not for over a year now. 1 account per memory card, switching requires a full format of the vita to the new account.

mantidor

no taxes I think

Florida also doesnt have taxes tho

Canada allows international credit cards. eShop on the US doesn't.

This basically sucks for me, since my NNID is already in the US. I guess I can create another one but seems annoying and cumbersome.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
http://microsite.nintendo-europe.com/terms/3ds/3DS_Shop_EULA/Shop_EULA_GB.html

Please note that if you change your country settings to a country with a different currency (e.g. if you change your country settings from Germany to United Kingdom) the funds credited to your Shop Account with regard to the former country settings will be blocked and you will not be able to use any funds credited under the former country settings under the changed country settings. If you change your new country settings back to your former country settings, you will be able to use the funds again.

So yeah, currently you lose access to your previous balance if you change countries, but you don't actually lose money.

And I think it'll be the same case after the upcoming update.

If that's what people are worrying about.

I will never understand the presumption of good intentions every time it comes to Nintendo when they have shown repeatedly by now that they simply don't give a damn about digital rights that people enjoy on every other platform.

And I will never understand why people feel like anything that isn't living up to their expectation of what is, in essence, a game developer who happens to make hardware is supposed to do when compared to large, giant multi media corporations who sell anything and everything digitally, is Nintendo personally rushing out at any oppurtunity to shoot their dog.

Yes, I would expect Sony, MS, or Apple to have shit like this down pat day one, because this is precisely what they market to people. The easiest and most seamless experience across a variety of devices, services, and goods. They aren't game companies, they are service companies which also offer video games. Their #1 is being a place to buy anything for everything.

Nintendo, however, is a video game company who focuses ALL of their attention on video games. They aren't selling you a service in NNID, they are offering an alternative way to buy games, through a service. In this instance, you don't get an NNID and eShop account for the eShop account experience, but as a way to get games. Their #1 is making the thing to be bought, not the service you buy it through.

So yeah, I can see where Nintendo can acceptably not be as good at this as everyone else.

m0t0k1

You are correct, but what you quoted is referring to the opposite case - one NNID across multiple consoles.

I was under the impression that the current restriction is that if you change countries from A to B, you lose access to your balance on A. But if you go back to country A, that balance is available to you again.

@blu Yeah changed the quote thanks for the mention.

@tempy The way you say it is correct you can't add money from one country to another. soi have pounds when i am in the UK shop and euros when i am in the NL shop now on my 3ds. But when i want to have miiverse and NNID i have to choose my main country which is NL and all my pounds are gone and you can't change back. So i am hoping this is one step towards an account system. Because if they can see your stuck in a country. they can see what you purchased and should allow you to redownload your content at any given time.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
@tempy The way you say it is correct you can't add money from one country to another. soi have pounds when i am in the UK shop and euros when i am in the NL shop now on my 3ds. But when i want to have miiverse and NNID i have to choose my main country which is NL and all my pounds are gone and you can't change back. So i am hoping this is one step towards an account system. Because if they can see your stuck in a country. they can see what you purchased and should allow you to redownload your content at any given time.

Ack. Yeah, if you can't change back country, then you'd definitely lose that balance :|

NINTENDOOOOOO

Dr. Buni

That sucks, but I never had any intention of changing the country in my 3DS. It is set to US because of the lower prices (compared to the abusive prices here in South America). Still, that is a dumb move by Nintendo. Anything related to region lock is fucking dumb.

Lucario

holy shit, nintendo

why can't you just convert the money at current market rates? Why do you have to fucking delete it?

hamchan

And I will never understand why people feel like anything that isn't living up to their expectation of what is, in essence, a game developer who happens to make hardware is supposed to do when compared to large, giant multi media corporations who sell anything and everything digitally, is Nintendo personally rushing out at any oppurtunity to shoot their dog.

Yes, I would expect Sony, MS, or Apple to have shit like this down pat day one, because this is precisely what they market to people. The easiest and most seamless experience across a variety of devices, services, and goods. They aren't game companies, they are service companies which also offer video games. Their #1 is being a place to buy anything for everything.

Nintendo, however, is a video game company who focuses ALL of their attention on video games. They aren't selling you a service in NNID, they are offering an alternative way to buy games, through a service. In this instance, you don't get an NNID and eShop account for the eShop account experience, but as a way to get games. Their #1 is making the thing to be bought, not the service you buy it through.

So yeah, I can see where Nintendo can acceptably not be as good at this as everyone else.

Fixed.

We understand why Nintendo are incompetent in these areas that every other company is much better in. That does not make it acceptable that they offer a lower service. As customers we should always expect more from these companies. Especially when their competitors have been running digital on their consoles for an entire generation now, there's not much excuses left for Nintendo.

Either way, it's their fault that they were so short sighted they couldn't properly invest and set up a proper online platform when it was apparent things were heading that way 10 years ago.

ohlawd

srsly what's the big deal. spend your shit before doing anything else.

set your country to Canada, problem solved. I'll send you some poutine as a welcome gift.

ohlawd

Yes, Netflix, HuluPlus and Nintendo Video don't work when you choose Canadian. You need separate Canadian accounts and VPN for them.

on one hand I have Netflix, HuluPlus, and Nintendo Video

on the other I have poutine

damn hardest decision ever.

Yes, Netflix, HuluPlus and Nintendo Video don't work when you choose Canadian. You need separate Canadian accounts and VPN for them.

HuluPlus and Nintendo Video won't work for people outside the US/Canada anyway.

Netflix never worked for me on 3DS, even when using my own region where Netflix is available.

It's like Nintendo heard our pleas about ending region-looking, but in reverse.
For what it's worth, I own both handhelds and I'm more than ever convinced about which one is worth supporting.

Kinda sucks, but I guess I can understand why there's some technical reason for it to be. Sucks, yes, but not really a case of them screwing people over on purpose.

I would be curious to learn what that 'technical reason' can be.

18-Volt

HuluPlus and Nintendo Video won't work for people outside the US/Canada anyway.

Netflix never worked for me on 3DS, even when using my own region where Netflix is available.

All of them are working for me with VPN and I live in Europe. The thing is Netflix ask Canadian account when you switch countries and doesn't accept US one. Hulu doesn't work at all when you switch and Nintendo video deletes your US videos.

Same goes for Wii U, when you make your NNID in Canada, you can buy stuff from eShop but Netflix is unaccessible.

yuzu

Neo Member
Can I register the same Nintendo Network ID on more than one Nintendo 3DS system?

No, this is not possible. Your Nintendo Network ID is tied to your software and/or additional content you have purchased and downloaded. As the rights of usage for software you have purchased apply only to a single Nintendo 3DS family system, you can only register your Nintendo Network ID on one system.

This really sucks. I want to refuse to believe this.

Top Bottom