• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Lobodestroyo (Banjo-Kazooie-Like game, $35000 goal, PC/Mac/WiiU/PS4/X1)

Toad.T

Banned
Ariiiiiiiiiibbbbbbbaaaaaaaa! More info here

da6460850d73e052477c6c1346e1ba5b_large.png

Summary for the lazy:
-3D Action Platformer harkening back to Rare's glory days.
-Made with the Unity engine.
-Part of Ouya's #FreeTheGames program thing.
-Backer gifts include your name in textures, exclusive areas and a replica N64 cart with donation code.
-Includes various voice actor cameos and a soundtrack by GooseWorks.
-PC/Mac/Linux/Ouya Starting platforms ($35,000). WiiU ($41,000), PS4 ($45,000) and Xbone ($48,000) Stretch goals.
-ANIMATIONS ARE NOT FINAL.

ac6adc3829fe0b9f0ea101e3715651fd_large.png

Some of the character designs look like they're inspired from old TMNT baddie designs. I am interested. Platformer is a forgotten genre for everything but Nintendo consoles these days.

Cade

EDIT: I don't wanna be a dick.

Game looks pretty cool, if it gets closer to funding I might pitch in. Bummer about the Ouya exclusivity for a while, but I understand why developers go for it when they don't have a lot of time/funds to push.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Their stated goal is $35,000. Assuming a low figure of $1000 per person-week, this covers a 7 person team's burn rate for 5 weeks. It's great that they say they're working "for free", but they have not provided any details for how or why they are working for free. It's also great that their "extended guest stars" are working for free. They don't mention anything about the financial risks they incur should whatever fairytale arrangements justify them working for free fall through. Their release date is planned for 13 months from now. Most game kickstarters run a tad late.

With 13 months they're basically saying "we have a $400,000 staff budget. Don't worry, we can finance that ourselves. But we need your $35,000 to make this game or it can't be done." If you've got $400,000 or staff willing to give up that much of their time (that's without office space), you've got access to credit to get the equipment you need.

This might well be a neat concept, and these might well be talented professionals, but I am personally seriously skeptical of a pitch that starts off on that foot.

Their stated goal is $35,000. Assuming a low figure of $1000 per person-week, this covers a 7 person team's burn rate for 5 weeks. It's great that they say they're working "for free", but they have not provided any details for how or why they are working for free. They don't mention anything about the financial risks they incur should whatever fairytale arrangements justify them working for free fall through. Their release date is planned for 13 months from now. Most game kickstarters run a tad late.

This might well be a neat concept, and these might well be talented professionals, but I am personally seriously skeptical of a pitch that starts off on that foot.

If it's part of Ouya's free the games campaign won't Ouya give them $50,000 or something on top of what they raise through Kickstarter?

Anyway, the game looks like shit.

DiscoJer

Their stated goal is $35,000. Assuming a low figure of $1000 per person-week, this covers a 7 person team's burn rate for 5 weeks. It's great that they say they're working "for free", but they have not provided any details for how or why they are working for free. They don't mention anything about the financial risks they incur should whatever fairytale arrangements justify them working for free fall through. Their release date is planned for 13 months from now. Most game kickstarters run a tad late.

It's doing that Ouya thing, where they get their pledges matched up to $250,000 in exchange for a limited console exclusivity (I think 6 months).

So that's $70,000, which still isn't a lot, but better

Platy

Holy lifeless art direction =O

But the world needs every 3D platformer it can get, specialy collectathons, so I am interested

antonz

I do question the goals of this kickstarter. Realistically It costs a hell of a lot more than they are asking for Xbone and PS4 Unity licenses.I would argue the kickstarter is asking for about 1/3 of what they would need total

The PS4 Unity license is more than the Kickstarter.

I do question the goals of this kickstarter. Realistically It costs a hell of a lot more than they are asking for Xbone and PS4 Unity licenses.I would argue the kickstarter is asking for about 1/3 of what they would need total

This should be asking for hundreds of thousands, not tens.

Goodlife

Good to see they altered their WiiU stretch goal (it used to be the biggest one, despite unity being free with the wii u)

Holy lifeless art direction =O

But the world needs every 3D platformer it can get, specialy collectathons, so I am interested

That main character is like the generic cola brand equivalent of Crash Bandicoot.

Graphically it looks like Wind Waker, could be interesting.

making your game aesthetically look like Wind Waker is the new thing in indie development now. Hat in Time already did this, and there are a few others as well that I can't remember off the top of my head at the moment.

I admire them for the source material they are trying to harken to but that just...doesn't look good. Seems to ape Guacamelee a bit and the character design looks like some bad CG you'd see in a commercial or a video game school.

Muku

It does look rough... I'm wondering, are they doing this due to working I guess in their free time or are they purposely going this route?

Just seems kind of lifeless.

Zalman

I don't feel confident enough in this to pledge, but it's always awesome to see more 3D platformers. Hope it does well.

Famassu

So... a game that by all means should be quite complex (3d platformer) for 5 platforms with a budget of 48k?

Lol.

Weng

Update

Lefthanded Games Studio, LLC. is now an official Nintendo indie developer! We got the call from Nintendo yesterday and are now ready to roll with Wii-U!

Due to NDA’s we just signed with Nintendo we can’t go into too much depth but we now have accurate costs for the necessary dev hardware to port Lobodestroyo to the Wii-U console.

We have restructured the costs and expenses as a team, and taking into account the massive interest from the Nintendo community on this game we have decided to lower the Wii-U goal. In fact we are going to abolish the stretch goal entirely and absorb the cost into our initial goal. So long and short of it:

Wii-U is now included in the goal total!!

Lobodestroyo will come to Wii-U if we reach our initial asking goal. The Wii-U stretch goal has been removed and the subsequent stretches adjusted to reflect this change!

a582c3d5ff84bcda4a1a37c30dda50d1_large.png

Muku

I don't want to discredit the last minute rush... but I think it would take a bit of a miracle to get it now. Don't most get a pretty good lead at start? This seems to have slowly chugged along.

Five

Banned
I want more of these kinds of games to exist, but made by people who know what they're doing. A lot of this game's art concepts seem interesting enough, but most of the in-game art shown is lacking in execution. The animation is lifeless, weightless and inconsistent. No interesting level design is shown. They only show combat as freeze shots, so it's impossible to get a sense of how good it would be.

The trailer music is fun, and despite his cheesiness I like the narrator, but it does little to convince me I'd enjoy playing the game. Again, I want games like this to become popular once more, but they'll have to be quite good for that to happen.

5 more days to go, it kind of looks like it won't make it. I'm not super confident about the game, the trailer doesn't show much, but I'm nostalgic about these old N64 3D platformers.

Mondy

Banned
I dunno about anyone else, but that is one of the blandest, most generic looking platformers I've seen in awhile. I look at those screenshots and I see Bubsy 3D with anti aliasing. Also, and I'm sad to say this, but the Banjo-Kazooie style of platformer is starting to pass the industry by. I look back on collecting musical notes and Jinjos and all the rest and through the mist of nostalgia, I see pure monotony.

tebunker

Banned
I don't think this game will ever materialise. The budget is just too low for this type of game. I hope I am wrong.
They are relying on the matching funds from ouya to cover the rest. Still seems low and for every 10K they have to stay that many months ouya exclusive. So it will be interesting to see how they pull this off.

Yeah, this game looks kinda boring. But, then again I love those old school n64 era 3d platformers, so hopefully this ends up being more fun than it looks at least. They don't make nearly enough games in that style anymore.

I dunno about anyone else, but that is one of the blandest, most generic looking platformers I've seen in awhile. I look at those screenshots and I see Bubsy 3D with anti aliasing. Also, and I'm sad to say this, but the Banjo-Kazooie style of platformer is starting to pass the industry by. I look back on collecting musical notes and Jinjos and all the rest and through the mist of nostalgia, I see pure monotony.

lol, this.

Krejlooc

Banned
Their stated goal is $35,000. Assuming a low figure of $1000 per person-week, this covers a 7 person team's burn rate for 5 weeks. It's great that they say they're working "for free", but they have not provided any details for how or why they are working for free. It's also great that their "extended guest stars" are working for free. They don't mention anything about the financial risks they incur should whatever fairytale arrangements justify them working for free fall through. Their release date is planned for 13 months from now. Most game kickstarters run a tad late.

With 13 months they're basically saying "we have a $400,000 staff budget. Don't worry, we can finance that ourselves. But we need your $35,000 to make this game or it can't be done." If you've got $400,000 or staff willing to give up that much of their time (that's without office space), you've got access to credit to get the equipment you need.

Heh, from their latest update:

I’ll save you the sob story, but the long-and-short of it is that the project hit some stumbling blocks that slowed down development to a crawl. Keeping us on track became difficult; availability and commitments faltered; and the overall attitude was no longer optimistic. Often I found myself asking the question of wether or not we have bitten off more than we can chew…

Got any winning lotto numbers?

I was kinda looking forward to this, but I can't say I'm surprised that it has fallen on its arse. Now that we've got Yooka-Laylee on the way with a lot of pedigree, I can't say we 'need' this so much any more.

This and Paradise Lost: First Contact are the two games I have backed so far out of 16 which were successful in their funding but are struggling.

Top Bottom