• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Launched (PC/XB1) | 900K Goal - Demo Available

low-G

Man I'm surprised this isn't funded yet. Kinda disappointing that there's not more hype for this game :/.

They're either gonna be funded by the 9th or 10th, leaving more than half the funding time to reach stretches.

I'm not real familiar with KS which hit their goal right in the middle of their period though. Will there be a strong push to stretch goals? Certainly whatever one is almost hit by the time we're 3 days away will get funded...

MaxOfS2D

Artist, Night Dive Studios
And I am tired of people thinking an engine switch would magically turn up performance and polish.
I would rather have them invest the time in improving the tech they have now.

Both Unity and Unreal have their own strengths and weaknesses; it's up to us to decide which tools suit the project best.

By the way, we also updated the pre-alpha demo with some improvements, including much nicer-feeling melee combat. Give it a shot again!

derFeef

Both Unity and Unreal have their own strengths and weaknesses; it's up to us to decide which tools suit the project best.

Well of course and I don't know how far your team has built stuff already in UE, but playing the demo and seeing what is there already it seems just unreasonable to me to make a switch. Again, if it is a switch and not something you can already build upon as well.

MaxOfS2D

Well of course and I don't know how far your team has built stuff already in UE, but playing the demo and seeing what is there already it seems just unreasonable to me to make a switch. Again, if it is a switch and not something you can already build upon as well.

We've been thoroughly investigating alternative options and whether they would help us deliver a better game for as much (or less) work... it started in Unity because the project's ambition was (IIRC) at first to be a 1:1 remaster, with no new content or no new bells & whistles. But as you've all seen, that has changed... and the tools may no longer be suited to the scope of the project, to the point that switching over may actually save us trouble (once we go past an initial hurdle). :)

Of course, this is a plan that may or may not change, but I want to alleviate your worries; if we switch, we're gonna do it for really good reasons.

MaLDo

We've been thoroughly investigating alternative options and whether they would help us deliver a better game for as much (or less) work... it started in Unity because the project's ambition was (IIRC) at first to be a 1:1 remaster, with no new content or no new bells & whistles. But as you've all seen, that has changed... and the tools may no longer be suited to the scope of the project, to the point that switching over may actually save us trouble (once we go past an initial hurdle). :)

Of course, this is a plan that may or may not change, but I want to alleviate your worries; if we switch, we're gonna do it for really good reasons.

What you describe here is the main problem with devs using Unity.

Unity is not a "bad" engine per se. Is so good for create prototypes because is fast to create and has a really huge asset library. The problem is when a really good dev team start to step out of the prototype line but can't stop because they are on fire.
Each passing day is more difficult to shift the engine, and at the same time, each passing time it is more difficult to expect that Unity will live up to what you are creating.

MaxOfS2D

What you describe here is the main problem with devs using Unity.

Unity is not a "bad" engine per se. Is so good for create prototypes because is fast to create and has a really huge asset library. The problem is when a really good dev team start to step out of the prototype line but can't stop because they are on fire.
Each passing day is more difficult to shift the engine, and at the same time, each passing time it is more difficult to expect that Unity will live up to what you are creating.

Personally speaking as the animator on the team, it's been very frustrating to see that something as "huge" as Unity was missing some crucial things I had come to expect as industry standard, coming from a background of working with the Source engine, whose core feature set animation-wise has barely evolved since 2003/4... Unreal is a lot more complete in that regard (and quite a few others)

The only reason i'm not backing, is due tot he physical edition being pc only :(

I hope that this will get a physical xbox one version when it is launched.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm hoping you guys at Nightdive aren't planning on adding weapon degradation just like SS2 in this remake.

If there's one thing I don't like about RPGs, it's that. I'll use mods or modify config files to get rid of it if I have to.

Yarbskoo

I like the textures better unfiltered.

I hope they keep the core gameplay and progression as close as possible to the original, since this will likely be my first time playing any version of it.

Skulldead

I'm hoping you guys at Nightdive aren't planning on adding weapon degradation just like SS2 in this remake.

If there's one thing I don't like about RPGs, it's that. I'll use mods or modify config files to get rid of it if I have to.

I don't like breakable weapon in general, BUT in SS2 was more on the survival side then RPG, and add a layer of strategy in encounter other then rush and shoot like a crazy ! It was not that bad, y refinish it 3 weeks ago on impossible and this is far from a problem compare to a lot of game. Actually i finish the game with like 16 maintenance tools.

Katori

I agree, the textures were awesome, such a unique look. Why not have a toggle?

I think Unity is fine for this, assuming they can get solid performance on the PS4 (which shouldn't be a problem using the latest Unity).

MaLDo

Personally speaking as the animator on the team, it's been very frustrating to see that something as "huge" as Unity was missing some crucial things I had come to expect as industry standard, coming from a background of working with the Source engine, whose core feature set animation-wise has barely evolved since 2003/4... Unreal is a lot more complete in that regard (and quite a few others)

The huge growth of Unity has not been precisely because of its quality but because its very tiny entry barrier.

I really liked the demo, and the game looks really promising. But I'm just not sure I can do Kickstarter anymore. Too many failed promises, delayed games, and poor results.

I'll absolutely buy it when it comes out after I see reviews and get an idea of the whole package though.

Bisnic

It's a shame that the soundtrack remix of the original game is one of the goals impossible to reach at this point... :( I really wanted to hear what they could come up with.

Another 3 days, another update chart.
Y51s4hI.png

Right now we're entering the point of a 30 day campaign were the legs either begin to fall apart, or hold and keep momentum. Most fall apart just so you know....

Bisnic

I'm expecting that it will at least reach it's 1.1 or 1.2 million goal at the end, but unfortunately it's the goals that interest me the least since i'm gonna play on Windows and in english. :( Wish they would have put the soundtrack remix in there instead.

phant0m

The only reason i'm not backing, is due tot he physical edition being pc only :(

I hope that this will get a physical xbox one version when it is launched.

So obviously this is funded so it doesn't matter, but you'd rather not have the game at all than play it digital-only on XBO?

Doesn't make sense.

Patrick S.

Banned
They put the goal for the soundtrack so high because they are perfectly aware that the redone music is what people want the most. There's no way they'll not do the soundtrack anyway, even if they have to do it without reaching that tier.

New Update

When Nightdive started in 2012, it was a one man operation with a singular goal- Recover gaming's lost treasures and make them available again for all to enjoy. As operating systems and video cards become more complex, we lose the ability to go back and replay many of the games we grew up with. I wanted to do everything I could to breathe new life into these forgotten classics.

The journey started with System Shock 2 and the reception/support I received allowed me to seek out other like minded individuals who would help locate and revive more lost classics like: I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Wizardry, and The 7th Guest series to name a few. As we continued to grow in team size, so did our ambitions. With the release of The Original Strife: Veterans Edition and Noctropolis we were able to restore the games and add additional features. We fixed original bugs, included unfinished games mode, added support for widescreen monitors, and implemented OpenGL to update the visuals. Next was Turok, followed by System Shock: Enhanced Edition and an even greater desire to take our mission to the next level.

We had done everything we could to make the Enhanced Edition more accessible to a modern audience but it reached the point where we began discussing a remake from the ground up. We started with a core team and a simple prototype to see if we could capture the look and feel of the original game.

System ReShock Ver .22n
System ReShock Ver .22n
Pleased with the results we then brought on Robb Waters to help us re-imagine the enemies, weapons and other memorable props and items from the game, and to create a common thread between the remake and the original game. Robb concepted the original game, he should be the one to revisit the remake.

System ReShock Prototype
System ReShock Prototype
A few more team members were brought on to take our prototype and develop it into the pre-alpha demo we would eventually release with Kickstarter. Our campaign began with a tremendous surge of support and in less than two weeks we've been completely funded...

System ReShock Prototype
System ReShock Prototype
There's no possible way I could convey how grateful the Nightdive team is to the 14,000+ backers who put their trust in us - we're having a lot of fun remaking System Shock and we owe it all to you!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Stephen Kick, CEO of Nightdive Studios

Bring on that 1.7 million!

Lyrian

Very awesome to see the project funded.

Observing this project from a distance for awhile, it is both interesting and frustrating to watch the massive headwinds that are buffeting this project.

My thoughts in response to the number of people asking why this project wasn't funded earlier:

-- In honestly, I think much of the situation boils down to a conflict between nostalgia purists on PC and potential console players who have never played SS1. Nostalgia purists want to see SS1 remade in its original form, simplified as minimally as absolutely necessary, running in an reimagined form at 1080/1440/4k resolution. To that extent, the demo caters well to the purist demographic about the potential for purity to the original game in the final product.

However, many of the stretch goals are generating fear instead of excitement, as many of the goals are about introducing modernized mechanics into the game that were not originally present.

For example, the $1.4m goal would add many of the RPG-like mechanics that were present in SS2 into the game. For the purists, this changes the concept of the game entirely. SS1 is akin to RE1 in that it is a survival horror game more than an RPG. In SS1, ammo was very scarce, and once wasted/consumed that was it (outside of melee weapons and energy weapons if the player had access to a nearby energy station). The vending machines in SS2 removed this constraint on the player, as all the player needed to do if low on ammo was to farm the respawning grunts for credits and then replenish ammo at a vending machine.

The existence of vending machines changes the player's assessment of how a level has to be played. In SS1, the primary player mindset when reaching a new floor was "Where is the conversion control override for the floor?" In SS2, the mindset changed to "Where is the nearest restocking point and what is the best way to farm credits to buy ammo and med stims if things go bad?" That change in mindset is what the purists are fearing.

-- The "PS4" issue. Regardless of the reality of the matter, the perception out there is rather harsh. This is big in catering towards the console side of the pledging table. Many are leveling their pledges off the table as the dominant console at the moment is mysteriously missing from the list of supported platforms. This "hole" in support is creating the perception that something is very wrong with the project. While this is not actually the case, the perception of the issue by the Internet hivemind is vastly different. That's bad. Resolution of this issue before the end of the campaign would soothe a lot of potential backers out there.

To that extent...

-- Where is the campaign promotion on this project? From searching on each of the major search engines, I'm not seeing a lot of actual promotion at the moment on the project. There was a ton of pre-launch hype, which generated excitement. But once the project launched.... what happened? For a project that should be high profile, there is minimal coverage of it on most sites (note: there are some hits today about the project being funded, but that is likely originated by the sites themselves as news and not really a promotional endeavor). As such, my fear is that the project is simply coasting on inertia from the initial backers and the strength of the brand name alone. That was good enough to get the project funded, but very likely not enough to carry the project much further. Something needs to happen to drive fresh excitement into the campaign if any of the stretch goals are to be achieved.

Personally, I hope this project does continue to succeed and grow in scope. I personally believe that the PS4 crowd is the lowest hanging fruit out there at the moment (I am a PC player, personally). With some promotion towards the end of the project, I believe it can hit a number of those stretch goals.

For example, the $1.4m goal would add many of the RPG-like mechanics that were present in SS2 into the game. For the purists, this changes the concept of the game entirely. SS1 is akin to RE1 in that it is a survival horror game more than an RPG. In SS1, ammo was very scarce, and once wasted/consumed that was it (outside of melee weapons and energy weapons if the player had access to a nearby energy station). The vending machines in SS2 removed this constraint on the player, as all the player needed to do if low on ammo was to farm the respawning grunts for credits and then replenish ammo at a vending machine.

Huh? SS2 was more strict when it came to resources than SS1. One of the melee weapon instakilled everything short of a boss, and the downside of it being a melee weapon is completely negated once you get the jet boots.

SS1 is literally Ultima Underworld in space.

Bisnic

I recently replayed through SS1 and it never had a feeling of being a survival horror game. Yeah, it's an outdated game from 1994, so it's hard to feel fear while playing such a game nowadays, but still... always thought of it has a complex FPS with lots of shit to pick up more than anything else, even years ago.

I give up trying to predict it's final numbers, the damn campaign is deciding to be weird and spastic.
Either way, unless the legs decide to die randomly soon it looks like my guess that the first 3 days would account for 45% of the total is looking wrong. Currently the first three days account for 66% (give or take a percent) of the total, assuming it doesn't pull a Bard's Tale (It's last 3 days only accounted for 5% of its total) I could see SS's first 3 days total being as low as 37%.

Bisnic

So the KS finally reached a million with 2 weeks left.

I'm thinking they'll maybe reach their 1.2 millions goal at best. 1.3 with a lot of luck, but I'll be surprised if they do.

Anyone else really dislike all these stretch goals and now achievement unlocks they're doing? I like the things that would be added with them, but at the same time it'll extremely be disappointing if it never reaches them, and when they're goals that require over double the initial goal they always feel like they don't have much chance in the first place. If it doesn't get to them then we'll always know what we get wasn't the best it could have been. I really don't like stretch goals that do that. At this rate it'll be surprised if it gets to the 1.3mil goal, which is the first that feels significant at all; the other two just feel like things that should be there in the first place.

Update:

Linux Demo

Due to popular demand, we’ve put some time into getting the Linux version of the pre-alpha demo ready for all of you (well, the Linux users out there). We’re doing this before we hit the stretch goal for Linux as a gesture of good faith, but please understand that the Linux demo does not guarantee a Linux version of the final game unless we hit the stretch goal. It took quite a bit of time to get it all working on Linux, as well as a bit of internal testing. Launching on other platforms takes time to adequately support and deploy, which is why the stretch goal is vital.

. . .

Achievements Update

Looks like you folks have been busy! We’ve seen 3 mission nodes hit for getting $1m in funding, 4K Youtube subscribers, and 90k demo downloads. That’s 3 points to Gryffindo...err… System Shock!

That brings the Mission Points from 5 up to 8, which unlocks:

- Closed Beta given to all tiers $50 and above.
- Gender choice added for player.

Another that i don't like about the stretch goals is there is clearly a 4mil goal, which it should have been clear from the start it was never going to reach. Teasing improvements to the game that wouldn't happen unless it somehow became the 2nd most funded kickstarter game of all time is not a good thing, it was obviously not going to get that far.

I'm definitely thinking of funding this to get to that 1.4m goal.

I love it when games update the core design like in Metroid Zero Mission.

Just downloaded the Linux demo. Plays just fine on my laptop. I have some work to do but hopefully I'll get some free time to play a bit more later this weekend. :D

Hype!

edit: still 11 days left and 60k+ to reach Linux stretch goal. Fingers crossed!

So they've given some information about what the 1.9mil stretch goal will be, even though that needs close to double what it currently has. Celldweller and Blue Stahli would be involved with the remix album if it gets to that goal, but it's extremely unlikely to get that far.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1633938#comments

While i understand that they're trying to get people interested in backing it to get closer to that goal, to me it still doesn't feel right teasing it when it's far away from getting to it.

ricki42

Just downloaded the Linux demo. Plays just fine on my laptop. I have some work to do but hopefully I'll get some free time to play a bit more later this weekend. :D

Hype!

edit: still 11 days left and 60k+ to reach Linux stretch goal. Fingers crossed!

I'm quite impressed that they already have a Linux demo, both on Steam and on GOG. That's better than most games that promise Linux at launch. I wasn't going to back this since I don't like Linux being a stretch goal, but now I'm considering backing once the stretch goal is reached.

dr_rus

I think they'll top out between 1.2 and 1.3. Can't see them getting more with how it's going right now.

Top Bottom