• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Launched (PC/XB1) | 900K Goal - Demo Available

Is there any detail on Avellone's involvement? Because at the outset it feels like a joke on the Avellone-Kickstarter meme. Why do we need heavy involvement from a writer for a SS-remake? The original was written quite well already.

adversarial

It probably wont make the $1.7 million stretch goal :(

I hope it does. I love that they're remastering this, and I hope they continue to do so with other classics. A remastered System Shock, in particular, needs to be played by those who missed out.

This is one of the only Kickstarters I've backed, besides the (failed?) Final Fantasy Tactics successor.

Good to see this getting funded! It'll be funded in a matter of days no doubt. Great to see such strong support. It's a worthy game that deserves to be funded.

Nope

But it's an old classic people loved so they'll look past obvious shortcomings like using the worst engine in gaming.
I'd hesitate to call it the worst, but it's certainly one of the most inconsistent.

Some games I've played on it run like absolute trash, others were buttery smooth. There's a ridiculous quality gap.

Durante

I'd hesitate to call it the worst, but it's certainly one of the most inconsistent.

Some games I've played on it run like absolute trash, others were buttery smooth. There's a ridiculous quality gap.
I've played a whole lot of Unity games, but I have yet to come across one which is large scale, 3D, and performs consistently. The closest is Assault Android Cactus and that isn't all that large in scale.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't know much about Unity, but since System Shock is mostly a shooter filled with tight corridors and small rooms, wouldn't that help with potential issues? I mean, it's not like they're making Battlefield or Farcry here, with their huge open areas.

Spoo

I've played a whole lot of Unity games, but I have yet to come across one which is large scale, 3D, and performs consistently. The closest is Assault Android Cactus and that isn't all that large in scale.

I'm glad they are open to picking something else -- most devs wouldn't even consider it.

Personally I feel like, with how small the demo actually is, the performance issues they have should be discouraging. The same demo created in UE4 would probably not have those performance issues.

Grief.exe

Isn't it unity? Is there any game that runs smooth and bug free in that engine? Let alone a FPS?

Hearthstone, Monument Valley, Ori and the Blind Forest

Basically anything not first-person 3D.

Nope

But it's an old classic people loved so they'll look past obvious shortcomings like using the worst engine in gaming.

The newest engine version seems to add a great deal of performance improvements for games like The Long Dark, hopefully that translates to this release.

Mivey

The newest engine version seems to add a great deal of performance improvements for games like The Long Dark, hopefully that translates to this release.
Isn't this already on Unity 5? Also, The Long Dark doesn't seem as effects heavy as this, which sort of ironic since they seem to be going for a sort of simplified retro look in the textures.

I hope they open up a Paypal backing option on their website, once the goal is hit or after the KS if they have too much to do right now.

Deadbeat

Banned
The whole modernizing and accessibility angle sounds concerning especially with the 'fail upwards' mentality of modern gaming. I will watch from a distance. For now, my list of kickstarter backings will remain at one.

Lingitiz

I got stuck for a while on the door code. I knew the code was 451 because of SS / Deus Ex trivia, but kept trying to search for the audio log that told me. Eventually I googled it and it's fucking written in blood next to the keypad, lol.

Also I ran into a mutant after that that took like 2 supercharged blaster shots and 6 wrenches to the head then killed me. Not sure what the deal was there.

I felt so ashamed for not noticing this right away too.

I got stuck for a while on the door code. I knew the code was 451 because of SS / Deus Ex trivia, but kept trying to search for the audio log that told me. Eventually I googled it and it's fucking written in blood next to the keypad, lol.

Also I ran into a mutant after that that took like 2 supercharged blaster shots and 6 wrenches to the head then killed me. Not sure what the deal was there.

The hit detection felt really off to me, maybe you weren't connecting.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The hit detection felt really off to me, maybe you weren't connecting.

I also encountered a seemingly regular enemy that was exponentially tougher than the others. I'd wager we're talking about the very same one. It's probably not intentional as he neither look nor acts differently to the others.

phant0m

The whole modernizing and accessibility angle sounds concerning especially with the 'fail upwards' mentality of modern gaming. I will watch from a distance. For now, my list of kickstarter backings will remain at one.

Ok, I'll bite....which is the "one"?

Acer Laptop Aspire AS7741G-6426
Intel Core i5 480M (2.66 GHz)
4 GB Memory
640GB HDD
AMD Radeon HD 6550M

Minimum system requirements:

Processor: Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 670 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or better
DirectX: Version 11

Maybe your laptop doesn't have the system RAM requirements to run the demo? I would imagine that even with the above system requirements, your laptop still might have some chance.

Dennis

Banned
Important Request for the development team:

Please make it easy to toggle on/off all HUD elements with the press of a button so that the screen is completely clear for screenshots.

Some games let you go to Options to toggle but that is a hassle to do constantly so a hotkey toggle would be much preferred.

I think this is at the top of the list of things the the community needs and failure to include this feature may result in your Kickstarter not making it. Just a hunch.

Paz

Performance is irrelevant this early in development.

I disagree with this pretty strongly as a development practice actually, but every team is different so yeah I think it's fair to say judging a game on an early demo's performance isn't a particularly accurate approach.

Aww thanks <3 There are so many things that could be said about this stuff but it's a complicated issue really, Unity is so good at what it does but I think some times it suffers from its own success, the millions of users out there aren't screaming for that polished consistency in their feature requests when they can have stuff like a new single click depth of field solution etc. It's possible to get a Unity game running great (especially on PC) but it does require a lot of attention and focus from day zero of development.

I'm not gonna back this because the pitch video didn't quite convince me but I am excited to see how it turns out and will pick it up if reviews are good, loved System Shock 2 but never had the pleasure of playing 1 when it was originally released. Pretty cool idea to remaster something that was so well regarded yet so few played.

I myself have a fairly good i5 CPU and a R9 290 GPU, and the demo performs fairly well, with slight hitching on occasion, but this is the first Unity game I've encountered so far that actually has such an issue on my desktop rig.

Mind you, there is a time and place for optimization, and it is a good idea to think about how to structure things in an optimal way even early on, but a common programming saying is that premature optimization is the root of all evil. The prototype is rather effects-heavy, really.

Regginator

Please make it easy to toggle on/off all HUD elements with the press of a button so that the screen is completely clear for screenshots.

Some games let you go to Options to toggle but that is a hassle to do constantly so a hotkey toggle would be much preferred.

I think this is at the top of the list of things the the community needs and failure to include this feature may result in your Kickstarter not making it. Just a hunch.

This should be a pre-requirement for literally every game. I'm not a developer of any kind, but if you can make a game then surely it can't be too difficult to include one (preferably customizable) key toggle.

Did you see my post above? :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=208790263&postcount=756

Five days in chart.
ATRcO6U.png
Changed a few of the other campaigns to lower ones, and those that have the same length as SS.

Sloane

Banned
Every kickstarter goes on this path. It all depends on the initial 3 days and you can predict from there.
Still, it's a bit disappointing for a game like this. Kickstarter obviously isn't quite what it was for video games a few years ago but System Shock is like the PC game and they seem to be doing everything right with the KS, more than almost any other developer. Looks like that 1.7m Goal will be pretty difficult to reach.

KainXVIII

Engine - Our pre-alpha demo is in Unity, and that is the technology the team has been using for the past several months. However, we are familiar with other engines and are open to exploring options that make sense. Changing engines during a project is a pretty big risk and not a choice to be taken lightly. At the end of the day, we will use the technology we feel is best suited to deliver the highest quality game with the resources we have.

SF8MzIP.gif

Top Bottom