• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Launched (PC/XB1) | 900K Goal - Demo Available

peace

Neo Member
I've never played the first SS game. I completed System Shock 2 many time in the last 10 years, and would love a complete remake of that game with just greatly improved graphics.

I've never played the first SS game. I completed System Shock 2 many time in the last 10 years, and would love a complete remake of that game with just greatly improved graphics.

You should, it's a good game. The Enhanced Edition works fine on modern systems.

Ran rp

hmm. the demo won't run for me. it locks up almost instantly.

edit: wow, yeah. my laptop isn't going to run this.

Parham

Banned
Just a nitpick in the grand scheme of things, but the first person animations for inspecting the chips you get at the start go way too long. They almost border on parody.

Eusis

Finally playing the demo to the end: I really hope it has a god damn flashlight in the final game, even if it has to drain your power.

Still, this is definitely something I want to see get funded and go beyond their initial plans! We're in a better spot I think when it comes to more RPG/adventuresome first person games than we were even a decade ago, but that doesn't mean we can't benefit from more.

DocSeuss

Nope: think they (edit: devs) didn't ask since it made no sense to them and Sony didn't approach them period.

Edit: I can see why you misinterpreted. Accent was on them not asking. I think if they DID, Gio Corsi or the tpr office would have responded and they would have mwntioned that. No conspiracy theory here.

Okay because I read that and was just wtfing at how I took it.

bidguy

Banned
Just a nitpick in the grand scheme of things, but the first person animations for inspecting the chips you get at the start go way too long. They almost border on parody.

i dont think youre gonna get them all in one place in the full game but yea it was kinda weird

ShogunX

In for $5! Not even played through the re-release on Steam yet so no rush for this. Not surprised to see a few embarrass themselves early on over no PS4 version. Becoming a regular thing on GAF these days.

Eusis

In for $5! Not even played through the re-release on Steam yet so no rush for this. Not surprised to see a few embarrass themselves early on over no PS4 version. Becoming a regular thing on GAF these days.
After how many notorious PC-only Kickstarters hit consoles afterall (or more platforms than originally planned) I find it kind of goofy to get indignant this early. Granted, usually it's both PS4/XB1, but... I might be crazy, but initially I kind of tuned out hitting ANY consoles, due to how PC centric ones typically didn't throw those in and this is a big revival for a traditional PC staple.

As of right now I won't fund, mainly because it's not on a system I currently own and the uncertainty of it reaching there. That said I imagine this decision will bite me in the ass when I eventually get one of the systems listed. Leaning towards a gaming PC, never had one of those before.

i dont think youre gonna get them all in one place in the full game but yea it was kinda weird

Well, that area in the original game introduces the software 'interfaces', which are what to plug into wherever. Maybe they have animations planned for software upgrades, maybe not...

Rellik

Played the demo, first time I've ever played SS. It was ok, the circuit "puzzle" made no sense to me and it took me a while before I figured out I was supposed to click the lights. I thought I needed to put a battery in some where, lol.

I had to look it up.

I guess I'm now part of the reason why games hold your hand nowadays lol.

Just over 24 hours and well over half-way to the goal.

Very successful.
No way, it's never going to make it at this rate. Consider it a failure. /s

Finally playing the demo to the end: I really hope it has a god damn flashlight in the final game, even if it has to drain your power.
Did you miss the power switch in the hallway, too? I also questioned the lack of a flashlight after that segment, but once I saw someone flip it on in a gameplay video, it all made sense to me.

Eusis

Did you miss the power switch in the hallway, too? I also questioned the lack of a flashlight after that segment, but once I saw someone flip it on in a gameplay video, it all made sense to me.
Oh, I noticed, and meant to mention it then but forgot to, but it'd still be nice to have that option even if it's a narrow view before you find the switch.

The original game actually does have a flash light attachment, along with dermal patches that increase your sight range, but those were items that didn't show up till a bit later when extremely dark portions of the game are introduced (level 3 in particular is near pitch dark).

So yes, I don't think it will be out of the question that a flash light will be in, considering the faithfulness of everything already in this pre-alpha demo.

Lork

I had to look it up.

I guess I'm now part of the reason why games hold your hand nowadays lol.
I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad over it. They keypads, switches, panels etc. in this demo don't stand out from the wall nearly enough and are way too easy to miss. They're a lot easier to spot in the original game.

Hopefully Night Dive will have improved them by the time this actually comes out, otherwise the game will be a hell of a lot more inscrutable than it ever was originally.

CHC

Yeah that would be an issue in the full game. In the demo, eh who cares, I'm in no hurry. But if that happened every time I picked up a new item over the course of a 12 hour game... it would need to be cut down.

I do love the concept though. It's a quality thing to do, a special little animation for each item, but it's just too damn long.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad over it. They keypads, switches, panels etc. in this demo don't stand out from the wall nearly enough and are way too easy to miss. They're a lot easier to spot in the original game.

Hopefully Night Dive will have improved them by the time this actually comes out, otherwise the game will be a hell of a lot more inscrutable than it ever was originally.

Yeah that circuit to open the hatch was super confusing, I didn't know I could interact with it on a button-by-button basis. When you right click on it, the screen should zoom to frame the object you are interacting with. I dig the idea, but it needs a little refinement. I'm absolute certain they will polish that up for the final game though, they have plenty of time.

PFD

I know this sounds shallow, but the pixellated textures instantly turned me off the game. Looks awful

CHC

I know this sounds shallow, but the pixellated textures instantly turned me off the game. Looks awful

I doubt they are final, they probably just did it to decrease download size and help performance in an unoptimized alpha. It won't be a graphical marvel, but I'm sure the textures will improve later.

low-G

I doubt they are final, they probably just did it to decrease download size and help performance in an unoptimized alpha. It won't be a graphical marvel, but I'm sure the textures will improve later.

I said it before, but I really love that style.

What's wrong with point sampling? It's not as if the game is going for a hyper realistic look, the zombies look like cartoon characters.

I guess I won't convince anyone, but it's a really cool way of making it look both very modern and triggering that nostalgia.

I don't know how much extra work went into making them look right as they do, but a toggle may not be impossible to implement in the final game.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Is the circuit puzzle different somehow in this game compared to the original? I couldn't figure it out despite the fact that I've already played and beaten SS1.

Comparison chart time! (All campaigns are under the same restrictions of Midnight EST being the next day)
sschart.png
Will be updated in 2-3 days and may change out Wasteland 2 for a lower campaign assuming the legs for SS aren't crazy good.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
The whole first Kickstarter update:

Hey everyone! This is Jason Fader, the Project Director on System Shock. This has been a crazy 24 hours and we're already halfway there! The team was incredibly overwhelmed by your support and we truly appreciate it. You guys are awesome! :-D

A word from Stephen
Our fearless leader, Stephen Kick, the CEO of Nightdive Studios and Creative Director on System Shock has a few words to share:
I'm sitting at my desk after our first day of funding and I'm finding it very difficult to put into words just how grateful I am to everyone and the support they've given us over the last 24 hours. Your outpouring is inspiring and we're doing our best to answer the various questions, requests and concerns you have regarding the campaign, rewards, supported platforms and bugs you've encountered in our demo.
Here we go!

Platforms: We've been listening to your requests and have started discussions with Sony regarding a PS4 release - at this stage we can't confirm System Shock on PS4, but we will follow up with an announcement in the near future with more details.

The Demo: Thanks to everyone who has downloaded and played our demo - also thanks to those of you who have been sending us crash/bug reports. We're planning an update early next week that will fix various issues and bugs you've encountered while adding in a few additional features for you to experiment with.
The 'Limbs for Days' bug
ce09281a42e378639b1840rs3p.png

RPG Elements: We're aware of the discussions going on and while there is still plenty of design work to do, we have the best intentions in mind of making a game that will both challenge the player, while still staying true to what people loved about System Shock.

The Plan
As Stephen mentioned, we're working on a patch with fixes and updates based on all of your feedback. That should be out around Monday if everything looks good.
We're also looking into ways of connecting more closely with our backers with some snazzy things like access to a private Discord server so you can chat with the team while we work on stuff. If you have suggestions about more ways we can connect with all of you, please let us know :)
There's quite a bit more brewing based on your feedback, but I'll talk about that in another update.

Social Media Stuff
Here are some handy links to keep up with the latest news:
https://twitter.com/systemshockgame
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialSystemShock
https://twitter.com/nightdivestudio
https://www.facebook.com/NightdiveStudios
Again, on behalf of the entire team, you have our heartfelt thanks for believing in us and supporting us so quickly. This game will be incredible thanks to all of you! <3
- Jason

I know someone posted the platforms bit last page but this answers a few more questions as well that I've seen in this thread so I thought it was worth posting in its entirety.

Edit: I would guess they've seen this thread by looking at the update. This thread has been a bit rocky but still it seems to me they're pretty committed to feedback and following up on people's concerns which is great.

Well, it's good that they're addressing or acknowledging concerns, especially with regards to the RPG elements in the stretch goal. Other than the orchestral score, that's been the other sticking point of this game for me, and if those stretch goals do get met I'd be very curious to hear what they've got planned for those additional game play features.

Frankly I am amazed they're addressing bugs with the demo and planning to fix it. Call me crazy, but I assumed that particular build would've been left at that, just to show as playable proof of concept and another demo would've been put together several months after the campaign. But good on them. I'd like to see what else they could add to the small section they already have put together.

Wereroku

Well, it's good that they're addressing or acknowledging concerns, especially with regards to the RPG elements in the stretch goal. Other than the orchestral score, that's been the other sticking point of this game for me, and if those stretch goals do get met I'd be very curious to hear what they've got planned for those additional game play features.

Frankly I am amazed they're addressing bugs with the demo and planning to fix it. Call me crazy, but I assumed that particular build would've been left at that, just to show as playable proof of concept and another demo would've been put together several months after the campaign. But good on them. I'd like to see what else they could add to the small section they already have put together.
I think the demo is the building block for the actual release so any work done on it helps the whole project.

moniker

I know someone posted the platforms bit last page but this answers a few more questions as well that I've seen in this thread so I thought it was worth posting in its entirety.

Edit: I would guess they've seen this thread by looking at the update. This thread has been a bit rocky but still it seems to me they're pretty committed to feedback and following up on people's concerns which is great.

There's also this comment by Jason

Jason Fader said:
Currently we're using Unity, but we've received a lot of feedback from our backers regarding Unreal. Whichever technology we ultimately decide to use, it will be based on the best tool for the job for making a great System Shock game for our backers. That's really all I can say about it right now, but trust us, we'll do things that make sense :)

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

The score is an interesting point and it'll be interesting to see where they go. With enough money they could offer two I guess but that doesn't seem the best solution to me. For what it's worth every part of the orchestral score they posted so far has been surprisingly great, however there's no way around the fact it differs from the original's score more than any other element of the project.

I think I'd enjoy the orchestral score in the end, but I can see how a remixed original score appeals to people too.

Edit:
There's also this comment by Jason

That's a pretty interesting one. I'd be pretty surprised to see a change of engine though but maybe they feel it's possible.

Great update. Releasing a fixed demo in another week is a smart idea and will generate more interest in the campaign.

I should have sent in a few bugs, because I have run into quite a few on my first and second playthrough of the demos.

One notable bug for me is an issue with the third servbot that you come across in the game:

sNQedh9.jpg

This one is found behind the first door you come across after the door with the password lock. If you can open and close the door on this servebot before it can pass through, it can clip right through the door and become an unkillable enemy that will follow you everywhere.

I have also had issues where my character would not select a weapon after jumping out of a health pod.

Patrick S.

Banned
I'd welcome an engine change, because right now the performance on my machine is all over the place, and I have a good PC.

I got stuck for a while on the door code. I knew the code was 451 because of SS / Deus Ex trivia, but kept trying to search for the audio log that told me. Eventually I googled it and it's fucking written in blood next to the keypad, lol.

Also I ran into a mutant after that that took like 2 supercharged blaster shots and 6 wrenches to the head then killed me. Not sure what the deal was there.

Top Bottom