• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Launched (PC/XB1) | 900K Goal - Demo Available

I got stuck for a while on the door code. I knew the code was 451 because of SS / Deus Ex trivia, but kept trying to search for the audio log that told me. Eventually I googled it and it's fucking written in blood next to the keypad, lol.

It actually is in a (non-audio) log in the original. Though the log in question just reiterates what you already saw in the opening cutscene and doesn't really make a ton of sense in-context, so I don't really miss it.

derFeef

There's also this comment by Jason

Eh. They can build upon the foundation they have here, I would not make an engine switch. I mean you have to deal with a lot of stuff when you start off fresh. It just makes no sense and I appeal to them to stick with Unity.

Varth

Okay because I read that and was just wtfing at how I took it.

Also, kinda relevant so we can put that part of the discussion to rest, I asked @giocorsi to confirm and Maxime himself ended up doing it. There were no contacts with Sony before the KS...
l3C04IC.jpg

...but now they ARE talking with them. So maybe add this to OP, mention, in title, whatevs.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So I'm currently playing the Enhanced Edition version of SS1 on Steam and there's one thing I'm wondering.

I used to play SS1 back in the 90s with the Windows CD version. The music was clearly different(better quality) from what I'm hearing in the Enhanced Edition, which I suppose is taking the music from the DOS version.

Is there some mod out there that replace the music to use the one from the old Windows CD version, or am I out of luck? The nostalgia just isn't there with the music I got right now. :(

LiK

Pretty cool they're gonna look into getting PS4 version made. Here's hoping cuz I would prefer it there as well.

So I'm currently playing the Enhanced Edition version of SS1 on Steam and there's one thing I'm wondering.

I used to play SS1 back in the 90s with the Windows CD version. The music was clearly different(better quality) from what I'm hearing in the Enhanced Edition, which I suppose is taking the music from the DOS version.

Is there some mod out there that replace the music to use the one from the old Windows CD version, or am I out of luck? The nostalgia just isn't there with the music I got right now. :(

As far as I'm aware, the CD and DOS floppy soundtracks are the same. The MAC OS port had higher-quality music, so maybe that's the version you played?

I don't know about the EE, but if you can get an original copy you can use a program like MASSMIDI to get higher-quality soundfonts. You can do this with System Shock Portable (which runs in DOSBOX) as well. You can probably do this in EE as well, but don't quote me on that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There being no shipping fee on the $75 tier means that it's free, right? I asked Night Dive about this on Facebook ~28 hours ago but didn't get a reply. :sadcloud:

Bisnic

As far as I'm aware, the CD and DOS soundtracks are the same. The MAC OS port had higher-quality music, so maybe that's the version you played?

I don't know about the EE, but if you can get an original copy you can use a program like MASSMIDI to get higher-quality soundfonts. You can do this with System Shock Portable (which runs in DOSBOX) as well. You can probably do this in EE as well, but don't quote me on that.

I never owned a MAC, so that can't be it. :p But I clearly remember the main menu music sounding way better in the past. Maybe the CD Windows version used the same music as MAC?

Unfortunately, I don't have the CD anymore to do what you say.

I never owned a MAC, so that can't be it. :p But I clearly remember the main menu music sounding way better in the past. Maybe the CD Windows version used the same music as MAC?

Enhanced Edition is the Windows version. Unless there was some '90s Windows port that I'm unaware of.

derFeef

Unfortunately, I don't have the CD anymore to do what you say.

Maybe it's your mind tricking you. Happened to me a few times for sure.
"This used to sound better" or "This used to look better"

Bisnic

Maybe it's your mind tricking you. Happened to me a few times for sure.
"This used to sound better" or "This used to look better"

Maybe. It's hard to imagine because I can still hear it my head. Stupid memory.

I find it weird how there is no option to change/look at the keybinds in the EE game though. Like, I had to guess I had to press "E" to activate the mouselook, otherwise the mouse simply moved the cursor and i was like "wtf".

taoofjord

I never played much of SS1 back in the day but SS2 is my favorite game of all time so I backed this immediately. The demo was quite impressive and while I'm not sure an entire playthrough of SS1 will be able to captivate me like a SS2 remaster/remake would, I still look forward to playing it.

Oh, and man is the demo gorgeous. I love the subtle pixelated look and the color are perfect. I do hope they change the design of the zombie though.

MaxOfS2D

Artist, Night Dive Studios
I'd welcome an engine change, because right now the performance on my machine is all over the place, and I have a good PC.

Right now the lack of performance is more due to the very small size of our team (four core people to make the demo), and not tied to our engine choice, but if we end up having to switch engines due to scalability or whatever other reasons, we'll take the decision that makes the most sense for the project.

MaxOfS2D

I doubt they are final, they probably just did it to decrease download size and help performance in an unoptimized alpha. It won't be a graphical marvel, but I'm sure the textures will improve later.

I said it before, but I really love that style.

What's wrong with point sampling? It's not as if the game is going for a hyper realistic look, the zombies look like cartoon characters.

I guess I won't convince anyone, but it's a really cool way of making it look both very modern and triggering that nostalgia.

I don't know how much extra work went into making them look right as they do, but a toggle may not be impossible to implement in the final game.

Point-filtering textures is a deliberate art direction choice.

HyGogg

Banned
Point-filtering textures is a deliberate art direction choice.
I get that, but the fact that it isn't super obvious and reads as a bug instead of a style might be a reason to rethink that choice.

I really don't get it personally. It's not like it has a look evocative of old games (nor would you want a high-end reimagining to have such a look) so it's just this weird artifact in an otherwise modern-looking game. I don't think it's a good idea.

derFeef

+1 It looks great. I love the whole art direction and I again plea to not switch engines, keep it that way and build upon that protoype/demo, but I guess they are already further along anyway! :)

MaxOfS2D

I get that, but the fact that it isn't super obvious and reads as a bug instead of a style might be a reason to rethink that choice.

I really don't get it personally. It's not like it has a look evocative of old games (nor would you want a high-end reimagining to have such a look) so it's just this weird artifact in an otherwise modern-looking game. I don't think it's a good idea.

Yeah, we've heard plenty of people wanting a switch to force texture filtering

taoofjord

Couldn't disagree more about it coming across as a bug. I think they nailed the look.

MaxOfS2D

Personally speaking, when I joined the project I really hated the pixelated textures, but they grew on me pretty fast... now I really couldn't imagine the game without them.

MaxOfS2D

Couldn't disagree more about it coming across as a bug. I think they nailed the look.

I do believe we can improve it further, the biggest challenge is that the texel scale needs to be more uniform — for example, right now, the first-person models are a lot more high-res than anything else, and they even have a bit of depth of field applied to them, which hides the lack of texture filtering.

A more uniform texel scale will definitely be one of the biggest challenges of this stylistic choice, IMHO.

LiK

Personally speaking, when I joined the project I really hated the pixelated textures, but they grew on me pretty fast... now I really couldn't imagine the game without them.

I think if some people really hate it, they can just do their own graphical mods. Stick with what your team likes unless the feedback is overwhelming.

Bisnic

MaxofS2D, it's probably too early to say, but since you're probably going to need to record new lines instead of just grabbing them from the old game, is the Shodan voice actor coming back for this remake? I can't imagine having anyone else than her.

low-G

To me the point filtering immediately evokes the classic games, which is why I like it. This game is more akin to how I'd imagine games of the future if I was daydreaming in the mid 90's.

Will Xbox One backers have access to the closed betas that are part of the various backing tiers?

Been waiting on confirmation on this.

Yeah, we've heard plenty of people wanting a switch to force texture filtering

Since you've dodged this question several times now in regards to Xbox One backers being part of the betas listed in the various tiers, I am going to assume we won't be and the Kickstarter should reflect that they are PC only.

Bisnic

Thanks, not sure how I missed it considering I read most of the kickstarter page yesteday lol.

Hopefully her voice haven't changed too much since the 90s. :p But since her voice was already very "AIfied"(new word? :p) back then, I guess it won't matter much.

CHC

I got stuck for a while on the door code. I knew the code was 451 because of SS / Deus Ex trivia, but kept trying to search for the audio log that told me. Eventually I googled it and it's fucking written in blood next to the keypad, lol.

Also I ran into a mutant after that that took like 2 supercharged blaster shots and 6 wrenches to the head then killed me. Not sure what the deal was there.

haha it's always 451 / 0451 in these games.

But yeah I didn't notice the giant numbers scrawled in blood either, at least until my second play through of the demo.

MaLDo

Tried running the game in exclusive fullscreen mode(change set <m_WindowMode>ExclusiveMode</m_WindowMode> in the GameSettings.xml). Framerate seems more stable but controls are not working, neither mouse nor keyboard, anyone know how to fix this?

Changing that file doesn't work.

I can't find this said before in this thread but using

-window-mode exclusive

as steam launch parameter works for exclusive fullscreen mode and fixes 99% of the frametime problems the game has in default borderless mode.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
After sleeping on it: def in for the big box. Genuinely excited for this project.

I'll figure out where to play it later

wwm0nkey

-window-mode exclusive

as steam launch parameter works for exclusive fullscreen mode and fixes 99% of the frametime problems the game has in default borderless mode.
Going to try this when I get home

Onemic

-window-mode exclusive

This doesnt work for me. This is supposed to be entered under launch options?

Right now the lack of performance is more due to the very small size of our team (four core people to make the demo), and not tied to our engine choice, but if we end up having to switch engines due to scalability or whatever other reasons, we'll take the decision that makes the most sense for the project.

Thank you for commenting and participating in the discussion here.

Pretty steep drop for the third day, though this is partially caused by the campaigns unusual strong second day showings (for a Kickstarter that didn't launch after 8PM EST) which is making it hard to tell how bad of a drop it really is. Right now the campaign I can compare it nearest too from my data is Obduction. Both had nearly identical first and second days and dropped down to 1/3rd of the second days total for the third day. Won't make an overall prediction yet, need to see how good the next few days hold up leg wise. Since Obduction had some of the best legs in a KS campaign with it making 55% of it's total funding during the middle days (everything outside the first three days and the last three days.

Top Bottom