• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western release of Lightning Returns to feature Japanese audio DLC

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
LOS ANGELES (Nov. 21, 2013) – SQUARE ENIX, Inc., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in the Americas, announced today that LIGHTNING RETURNS™: FINAL FANTASY® XIII will feature the original Japanese Voice-Overs available as free downloadable content (DLC) during the first two weeks of the game being on-sale. After this limited period, the Japanese Voice-Over Pack will be available as paid DLC.

The Japanese Voice-Over Pack also includes lip-synching that differs from the English-language voice track already included with the game, to ensure a more natural and localized game experience.

I for one, am shocked.

I wonder if this is a one time thing to gain more interest in this game or if they're planning on doing this for future Square titles?

Pyccko

Heyyy, sweet. Hopefully this will start a trend of this (or better yet, on disc) happening more often.

Thoraxes

So. You are saying the japanese audio wouldnt fit on a Bluraydisc?

Come on...

There's different contracts and agreements in Japan for voice talent. I dunno how SE works with the FF games (and not sure if that's the case with this one, i'm no expert at all), but this money is more than likely covering whatever costs they'd have to pay to the actors/actresses in licensing fees.

Tirod

The Japanese Voice-Over Pack also includes lip-synching that differs from the English-language voice track already included with the game, to ensure a more natural and localized game experience.

The correct lip-synch is a great touch too!

I'll most likely get this pack then.

There's different contracts and agreements in Japan for voice talent. I dunno how SE works with the FF games (and not sure if that's the case with this one, i'm no expert at all), but this money is more than likely covering whatever costs they'd have to pay to the actors/actresses in licensing fees.

So. To licence it outside of Japan it costs more?

Somehow something only japanese can think off. But sounds about right, knowing about how anime-right contracts look like...

Cels

how are they going to do this? is it just going to be free on PSN/XBL for the first two weeks, then paid afterwards?

if i do get this game it won't be for a very long time, so it would be nice to be able to just download the DLC without owning the game.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
how are they going to do this? is it just going to be free on PSN/XBL for the first two weeks, then paid afterwards?

if i do get this game it won't be for a very long time, so it would be nice to be able to just download the DLC without owning the game.

The game has a built-in DLC store. Probably going to be in there first, then in the open on PSN.

Ashkeloth

This is good news, but is it really the best time to do so at the very end of a trilogy in which the people who still care about it have become accustomed to the characters English voices?

Besides, Final Fantasy has never had the dubbing issues that other JRPGs still suffer from due to how big it is outside of perhaps Final Fantasy X at a stretch which was still good for the time when voice acting in console games was still emerging, and XIV: ARR which is an MMO and a completely different ballpark entirely.

Diablos54

DLC? The fuck? Cheeky buggers! This better be cheap! Least it's free for the first two weeks. Not that I'll get it without XIII and XIII-2 DLC as well

Squire

Banned
I wonder if this is a one time thing to gain more interest in this game or if they're planning on doing this for future Square titles?

My first instinct is to think it's born from desperation.

They'd never go to the trouble of licensing the JP voices if they knew they could bank on the game selling well.

cj_iwakura

Meanwhile NIS does this for free... I don't care about dual audio, but when Aksys and NIS can do this without charging, it makes them seem beyond petty.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
My first instinct is to think it's born from desperation.

They'd never go to the trouble of licensing the JP voices if they knew they could bank on the game selling well.

My thought on all this is they're trying to rope in hardcore FF/JRPG fans.

Top Bottom