• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western release of Lightning Returns to feature Japanese audio DLC

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yes!!!

I approve of this so much! 'Shut up and take my money' situation.

LuuKyK

Lightning yet again setting new precedents for the Final Fantasy franchise. First real female protagonist, impacting multimedia character, and now bringing dual audio releases to the west.

tumblr_mwc9r3waF71ryxlvro2_500.gif

RaikuHebi

Banned

RPGCrazied

That is nice, but selling a voice track? Why? Nobody else charges for dual voice tracks. Still not getting it though. Maybe when it hits $14.99.

Doesn't surprise me that Square Enix would take a common feature present in many Japanese games and make it paid DLC. But it's free for 2 ENTIRE weeks? How generous!

SaSliXCII

Banned
Oh god I hope they do this with XV and KH3 as well. I will even pay for this DLC, maybe, though I'm a constant hater of DLC in general. This is useful though, the English voice acting is always horrible.

Sweet, just when I was worrying about Lightning's English voice. I guess I'll download this and wait for the game to go to bargain bin prices, because despite the good move from SE, the game still looks really meh.

syoaran

Holy fuck - they are finally doing it. Was interested in the game before, now it's a Day 1 purchase.

Highly approve of this feature, as I for one can't stand the english VO on any FF game > <

B_Boss

My god....you would think this is something that could've been possibly done sometime ago (perhaps not? I'm no expert) but I passed on a few FF games after 9 because of this exact reason: I cannot and will not ever stand English VO....ever, not for an FF game. I'll take silence any day of the week being that I was accustomed to it for years anyway....wow.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
A good reason to play it twice on the same month? Yes, a good reason to play it twice on the same month.

Love you Tori.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ugh, I remember Soul Sacrifice did something like this (it was also a pre-order bonus, so still free, but still doesn't sit right with me) & I'm not a fan of the fact they're making it so other people have to pay just to hear the game in another language. Yes, I understand the first two weeks, it'll be free, so most people that want the game or plan on getting it will download it within that time span (I probably will just for the heck of it), but I'm not liking this slow trend of taking what used to just be something under options & making it something I have to spend extra on.

Perfo

The problem is, most of the people who want the game are already set on it and already like it even though they haven't played it. They might get a few extra pre-orders with this, but nothing they can do would really change the reality of the situation here.

Than you're saying it: it's not for money. It's probably a service they know the most hardcore-fans of the series demanded for years. I call it "customer care" :p

MechaX

Lightning yet again setting new precedents for the Final Fantasy franchise. First real female protagonist, impacting multimedia character, and now bringing dual audio releases to the west.

The funny thing is I know you're playing us, but it still makes me even angry that Kitase even said this.

Than you're saying it: it's not for money. It's probably a service they know the most hardcore-fans of the series demanded for years. I call it "customer care" :p

It's definitely for money because they want more an incentive to buy it Day One rather than risk XIII-2's fast and severe price collapse. If it was "customer care," there wouldn't even be a free price limited time period.

Perfo

Its true though.

I approve this message. It's true indeed. Plus her charisma is hitting everywhere everyone... my partner (hates FFXIII) seen her in ARR: FFXIV just the other day and felt very sympathetic with her character and background story for LR. I mean... in the midst of all those anynomous characters Eorzea is wasted for, finally someone graced that world with some charisma and personality.

One Lightning to doom them all. And she got like what... 20 lines in total? She totally rocks. That's it.

LiK

Guess I can download this on PSN when it's free right? Not a thing that's within the game cuz I don't plan on buying it until it's on sale.

hat_hair

I'd be excited if I hadn't had to play all prior games in English and gotten totally used to it over the span of a few hundred hours of gameplay.

This is pretty much how I feel. While I would have played in Japanese from the start if it was an option, I don't want to switch from the dub voices now. I'll definitely grab it to check it out, though.

Zoe

Ugh, I remember Soul Sacrifice did something like this (it was also a pre-order bonus, so still free, but still doesn't sit right with me) & I'm not a fan of the fact they're making it so other people have to pay just to hear the game in another language. Yes, I understand the first two weeks, it'll be free, so most people that want the game or plan on getting it will download it within that time span (I probably will just for the heck of it), but I'm not liking this slow trend of taking what used to just be something under options & making it something I have to spend extra on.

Soul Sacrifice was not handled well at all. You couldn't enable the voice pack until after the opening fight, and the localization was jarring.

Lain

I'm debating if I should be angry they are offering it as DLC, or be happy that they are at least offering it as DLC.
At least it's free for the first 2 weeks.

injurai

Banned
I've been suggesting this in every localization thread for a long time. It amazes me that with DLC they haven't done this to overcome on-disc restrictions earlier.

Esura

Banned

While a lot of more niche-r Japanese games have had dual-audio, I don't remember it being all that regular in the past.

Dual audio DLC might be a good way to get companies who usually don't dual audio to do it.

Durante

This is pretty much how I feel. While I would have played in Japanese from the start if it was an option, I don't want to switch from the dub voices now. I'll definitely grab it to check it out, though.
For me, it just cements my decision not to get XIII-2 and skip straight to -3.

This is actually pretty great news. I actually like Lightning as a character with her Japanese VA. Not so much with her English VA. Good times!

Hopefully the trend continues for SE.

Edit: But now I'm conflicted. I like Noel's English VA. Agh. Might just be consistent and go English, tch.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Its true though.

FF2 says otherwise looking at protagonists in general, even more so with FF6 and FFX. Since those were more Terra/Celes(even if it was party oriented) and FFX was essentially Yuna everything. So I disagree. One can even argue Ashe in XII is quite pivotal.

Top Bottom